RUMOR PS5 Backwards Compatible Back to PS1?

ExHaseo

On 19/1/2020 at 6:02 AM, Typical PSNPee User said:

I don't understand though, will it play actual PS1234 discs or digital purchases?

Nobody knows latest rumor says that it'll play PS1-PS2-PS4 discs and use a similar method for PS3 like the Xbox Backwards Compatibility, with future support for PSP and Vita.

Loads of BS, i know.

On 1/12/2020 at 6:58 PM, LordBilbanes said:

I think backwards compatibility would make PS Now more appealing, not less.  Right now, if you want to play a Playstation 3 game on PS Now the only option is to stream it.  If the Playstation 5 has backwards compatibility with the Playstation 3, game downloading becomes an option that Sony can use to sell the service, especially when you consider there will be Playstation 5 owners who missed out on the Playstation 3.

Also, another thing to consider are the older legacy consoles.  They would also be available for download as well.  Also, I don't know about everyone else, but if the Playstation 5 can play everything, I would be willing to pay a significant premium for the system.  Moreover, with the rumors about it being significantly less powerful than the Series X, I find myself reluctant to upgrade until the inevitable mid generation refresh, which means a lost sale for Sony in the short term.

If the Playstation 5 has B/C, then I would have an incentive to buy it on release.

I think you’ve made some really good points there, I agree on both. Unfortunately “common knowledge” says that backwards compatibility does NOT sell consoles. It says we think we want it, but if it is offered we won’t be actually using it. And we wouldn’t pay extra for it. I may not agree with that, most of us here might not agree with that, but if that is what execs still believe then that’s what we are (not) getting. We might not represent the majority and there is a good argument, from a commercial standpoint, NOT to go for bc. 

But I am still hoping for it. I have bought so many digital ps3 games, I would love to get them back (no longer own ps3). Especially upscaled/improved for free. But I am not holding my breath. Not until I see it confirmed by Sony. 

8 hours ago, Sifferino said:

I think you’ve made some really good points there, I agree on both. Unfortunately “common knowledge” says that backwards compatibility does NOT sell consoles. It says we think we want it, but if it is offered we won’t be actually using it. And we wouldn’t pay extra for it. I may not agree with that, most of us here might not agree with that, but if that is what execs still believe then that’s what we are (not) getting. We might not represent the majority and there is a good argument, from a commercial standpoint, NOT to go for bc. 

But I am still hoping for it. I have bought so many digital ps3 games, I would love to get them back (no longer own ps3). Especially upscaled/improved for free. But I am not holding my breath. Not until I see it confirmed by Sony. 

Sony has a massive back catalog going back over 25 years.  The fact of the matter is that having BC is important for those of us who still have physical games.  The big selling point for backwards compatibility to me is that it makes PS Now a much more compelling service.  Playstation Now allows you to download PS4 games to your system along with streaming them.

Only Playstation 4 games are available for download on the PS4.  If the Playstation 5 can play everything, then PS Now becomes a lot more compelling, especially for younger gamers who never owned one of the older consoles. Moreover, with lag still being an issue, some of these games are unplayable when streaming them.  Having the entire catalogue of games of available for download makes PS Now much more compelling as a service for Playstation 5 owners.  It also makes their hardware more compelling as a product as it'll be the only platform where you can play all these games locally.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, LordBilbanes said:

Sony has a massive back catalog going back over 25 years.  The fact of the matter is that having BC is important for those of us who still have physical games.  The big selling point for backwards compatibility to me is that it makes PS Now a much more compelling service.  Playstation Now allows you to download PS4 games to your system along with streaming them.

Only Playstation 4 games are available for download on the PS4.  If the Playstation 5 can play everything, then PS Now becomes a lot more compelling, especially for younger gamers who never owned one of the older consoles. Moreover, with lag still being an issue, some of these games are unplayable when streaming them.  Having the entire catalogue of games of available for download makes PS Now much more compelling as a service for Playstation 5 owners.  It also makes their hardware more compelling as a product as it'll be the only platform where you can play all these games locally.

As a trophy hunter, I don’t know how anyone could dismiss the value of a PS Now service of having the ability to download legacy titles with trophies, high-definition, and other next gen features for a yearly price of $99 (although the price has decreased, I had absolutely no problem paying the original price).  On a PlayStation Trophy website, of all places...?

I’m sitting here typing this message as I’m thinking about obtaining a Silver trophy for getting my B-license in Gran Turismo or obtaining a Silver for defeating the last boss of Battle Arena Toshinden 3 with Michael Jackson (or whatever his name is in that game) with his Break Dancing Overdrive move, en route to getting a Platinum, on PS Now.  THAT...is sick.  ?

over 800 games and counting, and soon (possibly) having a game lineup from systems spanning 25 years with next gen features.  What’s not to be excited about?  ?

• Like 1

I haven't purchased PS Now because it's primarily a game streaming service and I despise those.  I think of game streaming as the death of the medium.  While I have no problem with streaming passive content (largely because it matters less to me), the idea of game streaming going mainstream leave me with terrible unease.  I love gaming.  It's my favorite hobby and the idea of not being able to have physical copies of games and digital games stored locally.

My bigger reason for wanting backward compatibility more than anything is the age of my legacy hardware.  My older consoles are getting older and will break down eventually.  Having new hardware that can play them all would be an amazing selling point, especially with the rumors from a few weeks ago that were stating the Playstation 5 would be noticeably less powerful than the Series X.

I have 4 functional PS3s so I'm good for BC with that. Got my PS1 and PS2 hooked up to a CRT that took forever to procure (very hard to do in Ireland, at least by my experience, got it by complete luck) with RGB cables and to be honest I think that's the best way to play them, the way they were intended. Be cool to have PS4 though, can act as a second console for self-boosting.

1 hour ago, Stan Lee said:

I have 4 functional PS3s so I'm good for BC with that. Got my PS1 and PS2 hooked up to a CRT that took forever to procure (very hard to do in Ireland, at least by my experience, got it by complete luck) with RGB cables and to be honest I think that's the best way to play them, the way they were intended. Be cool to have PS4 though, can act as a second console for self-boosting.

Probably better than my setup with multiple av switch boxes and hdmi upscalers and hdmi switch boxes, the wires behind the tv are a mess

• Like 1

The PS5 only really needs to be backwards compatible to PS3 and PS4. As others have said, the PS1 and PS2 is too niche of a market to warrant the development of adding backwards compatibility that far. Also all the top games have been either remastered to PS3 or PS4. I still have my PS2 modded so if I want to play a PS1 or Japanese PS2 game on my PS2 I can so it's not that important to me personally,

10 hours ago, LordBilbanes said:

Which was precisely my point. You/we are not the target market. The vast majority of PS5 buyers will be buying their console for new games, not old ones. They might play a PS4 game they heard so much about, perhaps a PS3 one and think “jeez, this looks like crap” and from then onwards it is new games only. At least, that’s how execs look at it and regrettably I think they have a point. 

3 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

PlayStation EU's Twitter added "it's time to play" in their description which confirms PS5 will be backward compatible with all previous PlayStation consoles. I heard it might even be forward compatible with PS6 games.

https://bgr.com/2020/01/20/ps5-release-date-and-price-leak-did-sony-quietly-confirm-a-big-rumor/amp/

It does not confirm anything. It merely adds some weight to the leaked rumor’s credibility. Wait and see.

Edited by Sifferino

6 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Probably better than my setup with multiple av switch boxes and hdmi upscalers and hdmi switch boxes, the wires behind the tv are a mess

It's tidy but I have often wondered myself what it would be like to have as many of my consoles as possible set up with HDMI. But the thoughts of all those wires gives me nightmares!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

It's tidy but I have often wondered myself what it would be like to have as many of my consoles as possible set up with HDMI. But the thoughts of all those wires gives me nightmares!

I've currently got 22 different systems hooked up, and it's as bad as you're imagining 

• Like 3

Yeah, it'll likely be "backward compatible" with PS3 through PS Now. 

That's not quite the backward compatible people think of...

12 hours ago, UltraFire121 said:

Oh yes. I can tell PS5 will have all previous consoles compatible in it.

Please do share your source for this information.

11 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

PlayStation EU's Twitter added "it's time to play" in their description which confirms PS5 will be backward compatible with all previous PlayStation consoles. I heard it might even be forward compatible with PS6 games.

https://bgr.com/2020/01/20/ps5-release-date-and-price-leak-did-sony-quietly-confirm-a-big-rumor/amp/

I'm not sure it's confirmation, but it's certainly exciting. I would love to have a catch-all system for all of my physical PS1 and PS2 games. It would certainly help Sony's image with me as well, which has been flagging over the years.

3 hours ago, DEI2EK said:

If PS5 is backwards compatible with PS3 and PS4, i would hope that online services would be restored to games as they'd be given new life on PS5.

the original developers would never spring for that, but hopefully it could result in those games server APIs to be released so fan servers could keep those games alive!