Where to start my Yakuza journey?

Taliesin_2943

Yakuza 0 is the best start but the only potential issue with it is that they will reference future games which probably won't make sense or go over your head but it's not really required. But like Arctic said above, Kiwami 1 and 2 will reference 0 (and in Kiwami 2's case, reference Kiwami 1) so starting with 0 would be ideal.

Judgement takes place after Yakuza 6 and I'm fairly certain it doesn't really reference anything from the other games other than a couple things here and there and it takes place in Kamurocho. But even then it's pretty much it's own story and doesn't really affect the other Yakuza games. So you could save that one for last if you wanted.

• Like 1

Start off with 0 as it will give you a taste of what to see in the later games most noteable is 5 and 6 as them games ask a lot from you then the past ones but just know each game alone without trophies is about 50+ hours for just main story and side stories and the plat will make you have an extra 50 or more on top so see what you think and if your not able to go for the plat then just playing the main games and side stuff is good enough as all games are good unless it is the ps2 one of 1 as that game's controls and combat was flat out annoying.

I've completed 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2 - in that order - and I think this order has been a great way to experience the series. Like others have pointed out though, there are certain things you won't get the full joyment out of by playing 0 first, but I suppose that's a typical "prequel first" problem, as prequels are bound to have fun cameos of known characters in younger versions. Still, these don't really matter in the greater picture. I'd definitely say play 0 first. 

• 7 months later...

For anyone else, starting with Zero makes the most sense.

Zero was after Y5, so a tonne of the old fans got the references. Where as when you're new you will see characters for the first time and when you finish and go through the rest of the series you will be like 'oh its this person' etc. Only the very ending is an awesome nod to the older fans, but even if you know nothing from the series, that very final scene will make sense when you've been paying attention to the story throughout.