Lord of the Rings: Gollum announced for PS5

I think they're going to hurt their sales by  A) picking a character people are probably not going to want to play as for a LotR game and B.) designing said character as depicted by the books vs the more popular (?) movies.

Edited by AJ_-_808
Stupid emoji

Pretty cool we are finally getting more book adaptions for Lord of the Rings. Don't get me wrong though I love Andy Serkis's performance. It seems like they are in the very, very early stages of development since they don't even have Gollums look yet, but it seems like the plot has gone pretty far.

Still I'm probably in the minority, but I would like another Shadow of ____ game. Maybe not with Talion but I did like the games.

1 minute ago, AJ_-_808 said:

I think they're going to hurt their sales by  A) picking a character people are probably not going to want to play as for a LotR game and B.) designing said character as depicted by the books vs the more popular (?) movies.

I don't know about that. The Witcher Netflix series is based on the books and I think it did pretty well. Granted it's not as big as change as it will be with this depiction. Though I have to say I do agree with no one wanting to play as Gollum when the Lord of the Rings has a plethora of good "video game" characters.

7 minutes ago, BestUsername---- said:

I don't know about that. The Witcher Netflix series is based on the books and I think it did pretty well. Granted it's not as big as change as it will be with this depiction. Though I have to say I do agree with no one wanting to play as Gollum when the Lord of the Rings has a plethora of good "video game" characters.

LotR is arguably bigger than Witcher, but what I meant is that people expecting to play as Gollum are likely to expect the movie one instead of the book one.  I hope it does well, but I have my doubts

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

LotR is arguably bigger than Witcher, but what I meant is that people expecting to play as Gollum are likely to expect the movie one instead of the book one.  I hope it does well, but I have my doubts

Exactly my thoughts on this. I only know the movies (even though one day I'm going to read the books) so playing as a character that's supposed to be gollum, but doesn't look like him makes it weird, like you're not even playing lord of the rings.
The movies gave gollum a visible design that not only movie watchers, but also book readers know.
So if we think about gollum, we think about the movie one, not the one described in the books because we alredy have a clear image of him.

But lets see what happens, maybe they'll change their mind ?

Edited by neko-chan251191

As someone who read the books many times, I...don’t get the devs on this. I never really saw huge differences in the book versions of Gollum and the movie version. Certainly, at no point in The Hobbit did Gollum seem to be a giant swamp monster or anything like that. And the books tell you he was a hobbit to begin with.

These devs are being too clever by half.

• Like 1

The devs are probably trying to fit the gameplay to the narrative. Meaning they might pull from the books, but might be its own thing. Instead of playing as a troll that no one knows, it can be a name everyone recognizes. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by BestUsername----

The fact that I can't imagine how this game will look or play like, makes me even more curious. In my head I imagine an adaptation similar to The Hobbit™ for the PS2. 

The only thing I don't like as much is the karma system. I wish they'd go with a less good vs bad approach to decisions.

13 hours ago, damon8r351 said:

When someone tells me to picture Gollum the Andy Serkis version is not the version I picture because I was a fully grown adult by the time that one was realized. Anyone else old enough to remember these Gollumses?

Saw the Bakshi one, not the Bass and Rankin (but I know of it).

Massive fan of both the books and the movies and this just seems like such a weird concept to me. Karma systems aren't really very interesting anymore and I just don't see how playing as Gollum could lead to any interesting moment to moment gameplay. Expecting this to turn out bad but you never know.

1 hour ago, KennethMcCormick said:

Saw the Bakshi one, not the Bass and Rankin (but I know of it).

Oh, you should watch it then. The animation is hokey and the soundtrack is very much centered around '70s filk music, and it's still a better Hobbit interpretation than the Peter Jackson version.

• Like 1

From the article:

In fact, the developers note that in the books, Gollum doesn’t actually have a size reference. One of the first illustrations depicts him as a giant swamp monster.

I'm intrigued. Sounds like an agnostic project from the creative side of things.

12 hours ago, Eraezr said:

From the article:

I'm intrigued. Sounds like an agnostic project from the creative side of things.

Unless the ring gives him some new and previously unknown growth power, this just seems like it's doomed to fail.  That plus them half-assing the Nazgul...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...