How Do You Justify Buying the Same Game Twice for Trophies?

sepheroithisgod

I've always wondered how people justify buying the same game twice. I've done it before with an NA and JP copy of Demon Souls on the PS3 but felt like I wasted my money afterward, which led me to avoid doing so. After that, I only bought a few remasters of some PS3 games I had already played or got for free through PS+.

I was eyeing The Witcher 3 Complete Edition, but I just can't seem to bring myself to buy it a second time since I already own it and all the DLC. Just curious how other people justify buying the same game 3 to 5 times.

Edit: Just to be clear I don't think there's anything wrong with buying a game a second time, I'm just curious how people rationalize it to themselves.

Edited by sepheroithisgod
  • Like 4

The price and how much I enjoyed it.

Take me and Prototype 2, a game thought I got really lucky with; I bought and played it for the first time on PS3 for $5. I loved it so much that I bought it again for $7 on PS4. And while I was waiting for my PS4 to come in, I dropped another $5 on the XBOX 360 version with no regrets. Now, Xbox live is a bit stingier with it's sales, so I haven't seen P2 for sale individually, and I'm not ready to drop $29 for the physical collection, but the second it does go on sale, you bet I'll snatch it up.

For me, that's really all it is. Alot of the doubles I have on my account are mostly cross platform games, but the rest I genuinely enjoyed and are super cheap. Sometimes it pays to invest into a console late in the game.

Edited by RedRodriguez87
  • Like 3

One the one side I am getting all my stuff from sales (Well, except Cat Quest 2. I bought that for the 15€ normal price, because I liked the first game sooooo much!) and on the other side I do not really care about money.

Maybe they are quick platinums. Or they are games I actually really liked.

• Like 2

If I’m buying the same game twice it’s because I like the game that much I want to play it again and get the trophies all over again. Every duplicate game on my list is a PS3 game that’s been remastered for PS4. The only exception is Demon’s Souls for which I have an EU and NA copy. I’ve thought about getting the third stack but probably won’t since I can be bothered with translations. I would however buy it again if it got remastered.

There are a number games that I’d like to play again for the fun of it but I won’t choose that over games that I haven’t played at all. Of course if a game gets a new trophy list then I’ll happily buy it again. I’ve also thought about getting a second copy of The Witcher 3 because although it’s a fantastic game I didn’t enjoy playing it as I went for a one playthrough platinum and I struggled with the combat and coupled with insanely long load times and it was a frustrating experience. That being said if I was to play it again I know I have enough experience with that type of combat (no shield and dodging everything) that I could get through it with out too much hassle. But as of now I wouldn’t look at getting it again unless I massively reduce my backlog which won’t happen any time soon.

And lastly, if you’re buying a game 5x then it’s more than likely a Rat..whatever game and you’re just trophy whoring and don’t actually care about the game, only the trophies.

• Like 2

Simple for me if I enjoyed the game loop I will buy basically every stack I can if it has another trophy list that is great as well. It is also a great way to show support to developers especially Indie devs who tend to make games that do have multiple stacks. Hopefully my little bit of support can help them to continue making great games into the future.

• Like 2

Just now, FilmFanatic said:

The only exception is Demon’s Souls for which I have an EU and NA copy. I’ve thought about getting the third stack but probably won’t since I can be bothered with translations.

The Chinese version is in English.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Wait until you find out that lots of people don't actually buy all these stacks and they're just sharing between friends.

This is nothing new though in all forms of media. Usually you find though that there are one or two people buying for a large group of leaches. It is up to the leaches to balance their conscience I suppose.

Edited by AffectatiousDonk

I've only done this once, with Assassin's Creed II. I played and platinumed the PS3 version, the again as part of the Ezio Trilogy on PS4. Typically, I avoid playing the same game twice as I tend to get bored on second playthroughs, but made an exception this one time as almost two years had passed and I'd forgotten about most of the game (aside from the fact I loved it). The only other game I'd consider platinuming a second time would be Skyrim, but I'll probably never get around to it with PS5 coming soon, unless they release the billionth version of Skyrim for that too. 

• Like 1

It depends on the system (PS3 or Vita before PS4) when the game released or if willing to wait until the English version.  Sure buying Japanese games are more expensive than worldwide release, but it shouldn't matter as long gamers enjoy the game in different language which brings in another challenge of earning the same trophies.  Like trying to avoid looking at walkthrough from ex. youtube/twitch or looking at guides ex. gamefaqs.  It's not a crime to want to unlock the same trophies if the systems and/or version are different.

• Like 1

If it looks better and maybe plays better why not? On top of that my memory for most of them are shit. Every game that I have played with a remaster I normally dont remember the details. Of course the price needs to be right. Maybe 60-80% off is the range im willing to easily buy remasters. Now if its like buying multiple Witcher 3s to play again. Fk no. I dont care about trophies thhat much.

Usually only buy a game once, unless it ends up not working somehow then I buy it again unless it is one of my favorite games then I buy it multiple times, but usually across various platforms.
Since I have bought Okami on PS3(Physical and Digital) Also bought it on PS4(Physical and Digital) and bought it on Xbox one, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Wii and PS2. 
Haven't ever bought a game for trophies and if I do have stacks in it is probably from a crossbuy.
and have multiple copies of other games as well.

• Like 1

I haven't done that yet. Thought about doing it with The Witcher 3 so that I can put this games plat in a milestone, but it would have to be dirt cheap because in my mind I always remember myself about the fact that I am paying for nothing but a set of trophies, and even on sale that would mean paying like 10€. I just don't feel like the type of person that thinks this is a good way to spend money, if it meant better graphics, like rebuying it for the PS5 if it gets a more impressive looking remaster version, it would be a different story because then you get any kind of added value out of it. Didn't need to rebuy games to replay them is all I am saying and I doubt that changes anytime soon.

• Like 1

Ive only did it for 3 games.  Children of morta I bought on PC and then PS4 for the trophies I also bought Slay the spire on Switch and PS4.  Also with Dead cells I bought both NA and EU stacks.  All 3 are amazing games made by indie devs that deserve more than 20 dollars for their games.

That always felt like padding to me so I just acknowledge the one that's the rarer of the ones available. When I see a high trophy profile with mostly unique games and not a slew of copies I tend to be more impressed anyways.

Also guys he said "for trophies" so how do you justify buying a game multiple times JUST for trophies?

Edited by Asmund89
  • Like 1

I strike to find a balance for me. I will stack across different platforms (PS3, Vita, and PS4) but not regions (JP, AS, EU, NA) at this point. This allows me to budget my money while getting to other games I plan on playing. This could change in the future but works for me for now. Cross buy is where it's at for me. Love that option! Curious to see how PS5 will play out in terms of shared trophy lists, pricing, and regions. Ultimately, if the game is good enough for me I have no problem purchasing it again (trophies are an added benefit).