How Do You Justify Buying the Same Game Twice for Trophies?

sepheroithisgod

I’ve purchased The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt three times. The first time I got it on PC at full price. The second and third both on the PS4 while the game was discounted. It comes down to how much you like the game and if your willing to shell out some extra cash whenever the game is on discount.

• Like 1

There's only one title that I have bought twice that both versions had trophies and that is Saints Row IV. I love the SR franchise, it's one of my faves so I don't think it needs justification. It did come with Gat Out of Hell and I got to support the devs so it's a win-win, because I do want more SR games. Oh hell, I just wanted to play it again. xD 

Now that I think about it :hmm:... I never got GOoH on PS3 (I might just have to get that).

Of course I bought some PS1/PS2 remasters too (of which I have the original games) that were more or less the same game just added trophy support with minor graphical updates (and built in cheats). All of them games I love but now I get to display them on my profile.

Then there are some games I bought one version but later I got a different version for free (mostly through PS+). I mean, I ain't gonna turn the second copy down if the the game is good.

Truth be told, I have nothing against buying a game again if I loved it, but 99% of the time I'd rather play something I haven't before.

I just remembered I also bought LEGO Dimensions on PS3 and PS4. But that’s because I had to justify spending so much on all the LEGO sets. If I get 2 plats out of it then I only paid half for them LEGOs.

Edited by DizzyDavidson
  • Like 2

I've bought multiple copies of the same game.

I had to buy Black ops3 digital version for ps4 because the disc became unusuable from a disc error

I've bought multiple copies of Skyrim on ps3 because multiple system and users in the household

I've bought the same game for different console like handsome collection for xbox and ps4

I like getting digital games from plus and games with gold that I already have the disc for, such as uncharted collection which will be available for

I even consider buying game digitally that I already own on disc like resident evil revelation 2

18 minutes ago, DizzyDavidson said:

There's only one title that I have bought twice that both versions had trophies and that is Saints Row IV. I love the SR franchise, it's one of my faves so I don't think it needs justification. It did come with Gat Out of Hell and I got to support the devs so it's a win-win, because I do want more SR games. Oh hell, I just wanted to play it again. xD 

LoL , ive been trying to plat this game all weekend, been on a grind with the flu

I don't think we will see a game like this again, with political correctness censoring games. however this game doesn't take itself serious and can laugh at itself

I think it's about perspective and goals really... if I was, for example, ever motivated to try for the world record trophy count then I would need multiple copies of many games. But that will never happen.

As it is now, I will buy another edition of a game that I've enjoyed in the past that has another trophy set. I wouldn't, for example, rebuy my wii-u games on the switch (unless there was a good amount of additional content).

I rebought the Uncharted games, Resident Evil games, Bioshock collection, Last of Us...a few others I don't recall now and I would probably buy a bunch more that I've enjoyed if they ever rereleased them. The benefit of another trophy list to attain is always good motivation for a repurchase. 

I've never bought the same game twice for trophies. So i should probably just leave lol.

But I will say this: I've never bought a game just for trophies, to begin with. Same goes for DLC. I've never spent money on anything (video game wise), just for the sake of trophies.

Nothing wrong with people doing it though. It's not that much different than spending money on physical items that people collect. Trophies just happen to be digital items. But I'm someone who puts the game itself above all else. If I have no interest in the game, I'm not going to play it just for trophies, let alone spend money on it..... LET ALONE buy it twice just for trophies.

I think the most common justification for someone doing so though, would be that they really enjoy the game. If someone beats a game and they want to play and beat it again.... why not buy another version of the same game and get more trophies. I mean, they were gonna play through the game again anyway in that scenario (even if trophies didn't exist)....might as well tack on more trophies. And the whole spending money part of it, to get more trophies.... it's not any different than when people spend money on an initial game just because it has easy trophies. But idk, because I've never done it. So im on the outside looking in ?

• Like 1

I bought quite a few games again to get them on my trophy list. Borderlands 2/TPS are two examples i played with different friends on ps3 and ps4. I enjoyed these games so much that i am happy to see the trophy list twice as it is a record of my gaming history too.

If i stack up games it includes low prices. No full price on psn shop. At least for 1 of 2 versions :D Couldn't resist to buy Late Shift for normal price on the JP PSN Shop for example :D

I was quite happy when i saw that Volume has a chinese PS4 stack and i bought the game again. I will play the chinese PS4 VR soon too as it doesn't need VR :D

But of course i'm more happy if a game has crossbuy or i own one copy of a game like The Last Of Us PS3 and another version with a different trophy list comes to ps+ :)

Edited by Evil_Joker88

Since I've become more of a trophy hunter, I've double dipped on games I already own on PC or another console (Skyrim, Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 to name a few) so I could earn trophies while playing through them again (or even actually finishing for the first time) but never the same game from a different region just for a stack. 

Edited by Killbomb

To whom do I need to justify? the one that earns the money.. myself that is gonna be a weird discussion.

in any case if I enjoyed a game I might buy it more times. Or if trophy to price ratio is good.

On the other hand if a game is really annoying or lagged or bugged I will stick to one copy.

There was a time you only had a few games to play. In my youth I played those games over and over again. If it's a good / great game than I will buy it again. 

With limited time to play I don't start buying games from multiple regions, just for the Trophies. My backlog is allready way too big.

Edited by ConAir
  • Like 1

I've done this twice. I started Tomb Raider (2013) on PS3 as i got it with PlayStation Plus and played it but then i shortly got a PS4 with Tomb Raider Definitive Edition as my friend had the PS4 version and i wanted to play with him. So after doing all the MP trophies and getting the platinum i was left with just the PS3 stack on my profile which was about 25% done. So i did the game all over again right after finishing the PS4 stack. 

Did i enjoy the second time around? Yes and no i really loved the game so doing the story trophies was fun but the PS3 version runs like crap compared to the PS4 so that was really hard to deal with. The MP trophies were not too bad doing again just the worst one was getting to level 60 and of course Chatter Box in the single player mode. urrrgh.

The second time i have done this was because i just love Burnout Paradise. It is my most played PS3 game and the reason i actually kept my PS3 for so long because it was the only console i could play Burnout on until the released the Remastered version for PS4.

After they released it i of course bought it again and did the 100% all over again because this game is just so damn fun. I really want Burnout Revenge Remastered or a New entry in the series to happen.

So yeah generally if i love the game i will do it, thinking to stack Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning with the JP version since it contains the DLC on disc from what i have read. 

Nobody has to justify why they buy a game more than once unless they are short on money and having to borrow to get it.

Situations I don't get would be buying a game a second time and then auto-pop the trophies through a cross save, or to ask someone to do the game for you through share play. Basically buying a game but not playing it just to add trophies, that to me is a waste of money but not something someone has to justify.

On saying that I've got over 160 games unplayed in my backlog, that's a bigger waste of money especially as some of them have depreciated in value since I purchased them.

• Like 4

Interesting to see a lot of people getting offended when they "need to justify" their purchase of multiple games. Maybe "reason" would've been a better way to phrase the topic question :D

I have the same reason as most of the people here, if the game is good and I love it, I'll buy it again. Usually that means that I buy remasters or remakes. But if I had the "higher" version first, like PS4, and there exists a PS3 version (that is gameplay wise the EXACT same game), I would most likely NOT buy it again. Why buy a game that is "worse" in terms of graphic, sound, console etc. just for the trophies? If I wanted the trophies again, I would make another account on my PS and play the game there. I can see that for hardcore trophy hunters that wouldn't be a thing 'cause they wouldn't have any benefit with a second account, but that's just my solution to "platinum" a game again. This way I could potentially platinum games indefinitely, if that's what I absolutely love doing, no need to buy the same game 30 times.

What I don't understand though, and would like to hear a "reason" for is if a game is NOT good, like some cheap games that some people play 6 times in a row. All I hear is "if the game is good" but what if the game is genuinely bad? ? Then that would be only for the trophies, no? Or is there a different reasoning behind these types of games?

• Like 3

Keep in mind that a lot of games are cross buy.  POWGI games will provide the Vita and PS4 versions that are two different stacks, to give one common example.  In other cases, it can be a matter of later releases adding new content that players may be interested in enough to buy again.  Or maybe the player played it on one platform and would rather have it on a more recent platform.

It also can be just loving the game enough to want to play it again and playing it again for a new trophy set feels more worthwhile to a trophy hunter.  There are also people who import games and then later support a localization.  There are tons of reasons and the reasons vary from person to person.

• Like 1

I've bought literally the same game twice before for the same console. Why? Because I like them enough that I like to keep backups, even though it probably isn't necessary, though mind you I usually do this if the disc/cart isn't in great condition to begin with for whatever reason (either pre-owned or was loose in the case when I got it). That, and extra save files for Pokemon, at least back in the day.

I buy the same games for newer systems usually simply to be able to play them again on newer systems. It would be great if everything was backwards compatible, not gonna lie, and it is nice the PS5 will probably be fully backwards compatible with the PS4 at the very least, but I know it just isn't realistic to expect full backwards compatibility for every console. That being said, it would be nice if we got free upgrades (or heavy discounts) to remastered/ported versions of games we already own digitally. I got Mark of the Ninja Remastered free on my Xbox One simply because I already had the original for 360. Though most of my games are physical anyway so I wouldn't benefit much from this aside from digital only games.

Sometimes I don't think it's worth getting the same game again unless the game has new content on the new system, unless it's something I really enjoyed and just want to have it yet again, or it's just so old that I either no longer own it any more, or my original disc/cart is in crap condition because I used to kinda abuse my games and consoles as a kid. Somehow all my consoles from my childhood are still working though, sans my first PS2, but it was my cat that destroyed that. I know for a fact some of my Gamecube/PS2 and prior games are scratched or damaged to the point they either no longer work or they have major issues they didn't use to have. I learnt my lesson and started taking better care of my games during the 7th gen, but even then some of my PS3 and 360 discs have just natural or accidental wear and signs of age.

Most of my leftover cash that isn't used for life essentials/bills goes on games, and I haven't really ever been extremely stripped of cash and decided to be kinda reckless and waste my money on a game anyway. If I ever did that (and it'd probably be some limited release physical game), that would be the only time I'd feel I would need to justify the purchase to myself and others.

It's very rare for me to buy a second copy of a game. Most of the time, it's either a simple "remaster" (barely more than a port) or a Definitve Edition that doesn't bring enough to the table to justify double dipping.

And getting old games on new platforms just because they have trophies doesn't really seem to be worth it to me. I like getting trophies, but they're not what I buy my games for. I buy my games to... you know, actually play them. And If I really wanted to get trophies a second time, I'd just make a new account, play the game there and save myself some money.

I think the only reason I could find to justify double dipping to myself would be if I really liked the game and the new release is significantly improved. I really liked Persona 4, so I got Golden to make use of all the new features, even if I thought it still wasn't really worth it all that much after I actually played it (it was pretty convenient, though).

I also played the remakes of the first two Pokémon generations after having played the originals when they came out just because they were released on the original Game Boy and severely technically outdated by this point.

I would probably also buy an HD remake of Persona 3 if I had the chance. It needed an update a lot more than Persona 4 and I also really liked it.

Sometimes I get tempted to update my games collection and buy it all over again just to play it all on the same console, but then I realize that there would still be a lot of games that never got a remaster and that I would still need to keep the old consoles around for, so I just give up on the idea. Hence why I think Backwards Compatibility for the PS5 is so important.

• Like 1

I won't do it for every game but if I really loved the game I'll do it to support the creators, sometimes I go out of my way and buy a physical version or buy it on multiple platforms.
Another reason I might do it is to revisit old games, a separate trophy list is an added bonus of course.

My last reason is that darn itch I must scratch, this I definitely don't do for every series of games but I would like to have all the trophies for all the games on all platforms for some games. I'm actually on my way to do so in the Assassin's Creed series.

I swear to god I'm not an addict... well maybe a little bit...please send help  

Edited by PhoenixIKN