How Do You Justify Buying the Same Game Twice for Trophies?

sepheroithisgod

There are a few games I have bought more than once. Typically it's because I sold the game and a few years later got the desire to play it and picked up for cheap - this is why I have owned FFX and X-2 on the  PS2, PS3, & PS4. I own PS3 & PS4 copies of the KH remasters mainly because I was able to get the whole collection for cheap on the 4 before the release of KH3 and I rarely play on my PS3 now.

For DA:Inquisition I loved the game on the PS3 but it only got 1 of the 3 dlc's so I got it for 4 too.

Basically, if I really loved the game I don't mind re-buying it, but sometimes it is a convenience thing as in the  case of KH.

How? well, if I like the game and enjoy the story and the experience with it I will buy it two or more time if it has more than 1 trophy guide. I have in my backlog the EU and JAP version of Trails of cold steel 1 and another for Trails of cold Steel ll (JAP) just to mention some of them. Another example is Atelier, I have more than 20 platinums only with Atelier's game, I bought 9 times the same trilogy because I enjoy play again a game with more trophies and personally don't care if  I need to play again 50 o more hours, only with Atelier maybe I have more than 400 hours earning trophies. :) 

• Like 2

I look at it, and this comes from the point of being a completionist, when I have the platinum, I am finished the game.

A stack means I can play the game again, from scratch, and complete it a second time. If I enjoyed the game the first time, why not? Replaying the game without trophies does not have the same sense of completion as doing a stack with a new set of trophies.

There is also the option of trying to collect games from other regions and having a complete set of all platinums for a particular game release or series.

Trophies simply augment the option of approaching gaming in a different way.

As a lot of others have said though, at the end of the day it is a hobby, and no one should need to justify why they choose to play in any particular way. There is no wrong way to enjoy a hobby.

• Like 4

I justify it when it's Skyrim a game I really enjoy, or something that has a personal meaning to me. Steins;Gate is probably my big one, even if it's a visual novel and not something like, say, a Skyrim - something everyone can probably agree is a game, I own it on Vita, PC, PS3, and Elite on PS4 and Switch. I really don't mind, to be honest. I'm happy to experience the story again and again, as many different ways as I can. Heck, I even own the manga and full anime series.

Edited by Kiricina
Should have probably clarified a thing or two.
  • Like 1

Some people are taking this topic/"justifying" the wrong way.

On 1/6/2020 at 8:41 PM, sepheroithisgod said:

I've always wondered how people justify buying the same game twice. I've done it before with an NA and JP copy of Demon Souls on the PS3 but felt like I wasted my money afterward, which led me to avoid doing so. After that, I only bought a few remasters of some PS3 games I had already played or got for free through PS+.

I was eyeing The Witcher 3 Complete Edition, but I just can't seem to bring myself to buy it a second time since I already own it and all the DLC. Just curious how other people justify buying the same game 3 to 5 times.

So based on this, that means this isn't just restricted to non-remasters and different region versions... ok. There's a lot of reasons for this. The main reasons, for me, is usually to play an enhanced—the most up to date—version of a (usually) high quality game I like heavily while also being rewarded with trophies. Spyro Reignited Trilogy is a good example of this, with its original counterpart, despite having being purchased then, having no trophies. However, trophies are often times secondary, especially for my favorite game franchises.

Outside remasters, the following reason is predominantly convenience and accessibility to extra features, which in the PS4's case would include shareplay, screenshots, and video recording functionality, as well as being able to play on better and more relevant hardware, even if the re-released game doesn't actually take advantage of the hardware.

Additionally, there are a decent variety of games I've purchased used and gotten through the IGC, like Alien Isolation and Dust: An Elysian Tail, that deserves/deserved to be purchased new for how good they ended up becoming, actually supporting developers in the process.

Then there's also the whole "the only option at the time I had to get the game was digitally, so if a physical ever pops up, i'm still going to get it because I prefer physical prints"/collectors. Like I said... a lot of reasons. Re-releases with separate trophy list also provide opportunities for designated milestones on this site, since this it doesn't offer custom milestones, that weren't doable before for whatever reason.

Edited by EcoShifter

Depends what "buying a game multiple times" means. Multiple stacks of the same game for the same console? Would never spend money on that. If I really want to play a game multiple times, I can do this without having to earn another platinum on the way. 

However, I have bought games on the PS4 that I've played multiple times before, such as any of the Final Fantasy games (excluding FF XV obviously). Why would I get those games again? Because I really like them, and because I used to play them on the PS2 or PC, and don't have the required hardware anymore to play the copies I already own. 

• Like 2

The only way I can justify this is if the game in question is an amazing game and worth playing twice for the stack. People who buy multiple versions of the same crappy game in order to stack a bunch of really quick platinums are a joke. But there are many situations where stacking a game is well worth it!

I’ve stacked a couple games I enjoyed like God of War 3, Far Cry 3 etc. and have bought the PS4 versions of many other games like Dark Souls 1 & 2, The Witcher 3, the Uncharted trilogy etc. that I fully intend to play through again because I enjoyed them so much. There are many more that I’m forgetting.

Some of those games would be criminal to only play once, and being able to not only play them again, but also get a second platinum? Hell yeah! ?

• 1 month later...

I've only done this for the remasters of skyrim and burnout paradise. I have a lot of nostalgia for both games so justifying it was easy. I brought dynasty warriors 8 xtreme legends twice (ps3 and ps4)  because it was cheap and I collect musou games so that was easy to justify. If it's cheap and a musou game or even just made by the same people I'm gonna buy it.

• 1 year later...

if its a game I enjoy then I'll get the stack for it. games I currently have stack for are these... 

street fighter x tekken x2,super street fighter 4 x2,borderlands x2,ratchet and clank 1-3 x2,injustice x2, ultimate marvel vs capcom 3 x2,arcana heart love max 3 x6. that's all the stacks I own so far :) 

• Like 1

i am willing to pay for something i enjoy. i enjoyed the guacamelee games for example so i bought them on console to get the trophies and then bought them again on switch becaus ei love playing on this console in handheld mode.

if you enjoy the withcer 3 and you enjoy trophy hunting then whats the problem with buying the game a second time? you spend like 8(?) bucks and get probably 100h of an activity you enjoy out if it. sounds like a good deal. 

• Like 1

I finally just bought my first EU game last night because I love Persona 5 enough that going through it again and getting trophies for it is making me happy!  I'd play it again even without, but if I can get another platinum in the Persona series, I'll be quite happy to do so!

• Like 2

It was easy for Virtue's Last Reward, US version had a English Dub I didn't know about, and the EU version I got with PS Plus didn't.

But, I often look for excuses to Play games I love again, I own Rayman Legends on PS3 PS4 and Vita, and only recently learned that the vita is actually a bit different and the Wii U version. 

I do often leave time in between playthroughs though.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TrickyCompa said:

if its a game I enjoy then I'll get the stack for it. games I currently have stack for are these... 

street fighter x tekken x2,super street fighter 4 x2,borderlands x2,ratchet and clank 1-3 x2,injustice x2, ultimate marvel vs capcom 3 x2,arcana heart love max 3 x6. that's all the stacks I own so far :) 

AH3LM!!!!! 6 times?!? That's impressive. It was a very enjoyable game so I can understand doing this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I've gotta admit, these old threads are much more interesting than the ones we get these days. lol

yea they sure are :P

1 minute ago, tony_snake_24 said:

AH3LM!!!!! 6 times?!? That's impressive. It was a very enjoyable game so I can understand doing this.

i really enjoyed platting it once so figured why not get them all plus its a really solid fighting game :)

• Like 2