How Do You Justify Buying the Same Game Twice for Trophies?

sepheroithisgod

For some people money on video games is a insignificant expenditure,  is it relevant to have to justify buying a cup of coffee or do you just do it?  Some people are saving up for months to buy a game or two others just swipe a card and think nothing of it.  we all make our own deals in life and our circumstances often change.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TrickyCompa said:

yea they sure are :P

i really enjoyed platting it once so figured why not get them all plus its a really solid fighting game :)

Have you ever considered making a trophy guide? With your experience and having platted it 6 times, you would surely know lots of information, tips, efficient ways to progress through the trophy list, etc.

When I got the plat there was not enough information online for many aspects of the game, making it harder than necessary. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tony_snake_24 said:

Have you ever considered making a trophy guide? With your experience and having platted it 6 times, you would surely know lots of information, tips, efficient ways to progress through the trophy list, etc.

When I got the plat there was not enough information online for many aspects of the game, making it harder than necessary. 

That's a very good question, I have thought about making a guide for it and a few other guide as well but a part of me feels it wouldn't be really helpful for people since I'm not the best with grammar and at explaining stuff clearly xD

• Like 1

Just now, TrickyCompa said:

That's a very good question, I have thought about making a guide for it and a few other guide as well but a part of me feels it wouldn't be really helpful for people since I'm not the best with grammar and at explaining stuff clearly xD

Sometimes we underestimate ourselves, please give it a try! :D

Detailed explanations of the commands required to unlock some link animations with a specific combo and the trials are 2 of many aspects that could really be expanded upon for example.

2 hours ago, tony_snake_24 said:

Sometimes we underestimate ourselves, please give it a try! :D

Detailed explanations of the commands required to unlock some link animations with a specific combo and the trials are 2 of many aspects that could really be expanded upon for example.

yea you might be right suppose I could give it a try :)

• Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 6:54 AM, TrickyCompa said:

yea you might be right suppose I could give it a try :)

Join the Guide Writer's Discord! From this thread: https://discord.gg/4mYxu3wzQc

There's plenty of folk who'd help out new writers.

OT: Buy and play a game twice (or more) just for trophies? Not really.. the only games I have more than once are remasters.

And only because I enjoyed them the first time 'round.

So.. justified by fun factor?

• Like 1

I haven't done a game twice on this account yet, but I've purchased Gravity Rush on the Vita and will probably do it. I haven't played Gravity Rush in years, but since it was one of my favorite games on the account and I'm starting to play games on other consoles than PS4 now, I figured there was no harm in buying it again. I want to play as many games on the Vita as possible and if it's a stack it doesn't matter

To all the people saying “it’s my money I’ll do what I want with it” there’s no need to be so defensive about it lol. The guy was just asking a question. If you feel the need to say that, chances are you probably just trying to justify a guilty mind.

I’m curious though. Why would you buy Witcher 3 Collectors Edition if you already had it all with the DLC? Buying the exact same thing for the same console does seem like a waste. If it was for another console or PC or something that makes more sense.

I have bought things multiple times but they were for different consoles. That’s how I justify it in my head and sometimes it does seem a waste which I do worry about because I don’t really like owning too much but if I play it then it’s fine. 

Biggest example is MGSV. Bought it for PS3/4 and PC- wanted to mod it but just left it as is because the mods bored me.

Also I got it for free on X1 but I don’t have one. Same with KH3 DLC. Sometimes I wish I didn’t so I could focus all my FOB stuff to one system but I guess that doesn’t matter much now anyway. 

I 100%’d Dark Souls on the PS3 and a couple months later I got it again for the Switch for Christmas and 100%’d it again. 

FF10/12 on PS2 and PS4 and FF12 for Switch, I’ve wanted that game portable since I was a kid.

Spyro Reignited on PS4 and then again on Switch because I wanted it with me. 

FF13 on 360(lol) and on PC because muh graphics. 

No More Heroes 1/2 on Switch because having them portable is golden.

I didn’t buy Ratchet and Clank HD on the PS3 for the longest time because it’s very expensive and I felt like it was pointless because I had them on PS2 but they were on sale one day and I did it, even after getting the trophies I go back to both versions annually. And more recently I bought a Vita in the PS store scare and I played R+C again and that’s all I own for it right now. P4G soon lol. I toyed with the idea of getting a Vita years ago because playing R+C portable also sounded like another childhood dream but an expensive one. It happened anyway lol. 

I’ve also never bought a game because of trophies but have not bought things because of their trophies and gotten them on Switch. Like Team Sonic Racing and Sonic Colors Ultimate. I knew they’d have BS trophies and I was right. I also own the OG Colors but it was 11 years ago. A remaster on Switch for half price is a steal. I didn’t wanna buy Dissidia because they’re all mostly online but I wasn’t gonna let that ruin my fun so I just waited until a price drop and I got it for really cheap!

I personally base it on how much I like the game, I don't have much time to play games even when I have time off work so I have to optimise my time & always try to play something new. That said, there are some games that I liked so much that I like to revisit them every now again & if earning their trophies again was an option I'd do it so if I'm able to do that by buying a remaster for the next gen or a remake of an orignal, then I'll do it without any hesitation.

Alan Wake Remastered is a prime example, Alan Wake is one of my all time favourite games but the only way I can play it these days is if I find out & set up my Xbox 360 seeing as I gave my Xbox One away 5 years ago when I was done with it. So with the remaster coming out meaning I can play one of my favourite games again on a current console? Hell yeah I'm up for that.

Edited by ObsceneSociopath

I don’t mind buying remasters and games

i enjoyed a lot twice. I might wait for a sale or buy the game pre owned to save some money. Next game I’ll buy will be Alan Wake, but that’s actually the third time I will buy it. Bought it once on X360 and once on PC.  I don’t mind supporting developers that I like. Will probably also buy GTA 5 for PS5 and get all single player trophies again. 

As someone who has completed 4 different versions of Rayman Legends I don't, and no one should.

I can't say anything beyond I like achievements/trophies and I like those games so the opportunity to play them again and get more sells it for me. It's the reason I didn't get the PS4 version of Okami. 

I would never buy them again at full price though, especially if they regularly go on sale. 

On 1/6/2020 at 7:41 PM, sepheroithisgod said:

I've always wondered how people justify buying the same game twice. I've done it before with an NA and JP copy of Demon Souls on the PS3 but felt like I wasted my money afterward, which led me to avoid doing so. After that, I only bought a few remasters of some PS3 games I had already played or got for free through PS+.

I was eyeing The Witcher 3 Complete Edition, but I just can't seem to bring myself to buy it a second time since I already own it and all the DLC. Just curious how other people justify buying the same game 3 to 5 times.

Edit: Just to be clear I don't think there's anything wrong with buying a game a second time, I'm just curious how people rationalize it to themselves.

For me, a game is an object to be consumed, like a pizza. 

Now, you might say, “But you can play a game again!”, which is true, but I also enjoy earning the trophies (on my own account, not on another one).

Edited by starcrunch061