How is this game compared to the first one?

Astray404

Just bought this from the store. I know that the first one has solid gameplay, with some fun challenges in Infierno. Does this sequel has a similar system? and how is the difficulty compared to the first one? (BTW I do hate some of those jumping puzzles in Guacamelee 1 like the orb in the tree area)

It's still got some pretty tough sections (this game has orbs as well) but nothing is quite as difficult as some of the orbs in the first game. It feels as though the hardest sequences in 2 are also shorter than the most difficult ones in the first game as well. Combat feels a bit more fluid in the second game as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

yeah thinking about grabbing this as the complete edition is like $5.70.

people saying its more difficult than the first one has me nerved up though. didn't really find the first one too bad in difficulty however considering there's infinite retries until you get past whatever made you struggle. 

• 3 months later...

I’d say this game improved upon its predecessor in every way. The combat is even better and more varies than before, you have even more wacky platforming sections and the story is heartfelt and hilarious. My only gripe is the unnecessarily difficult final chamber after you collect the special keys. I’d say the special key chambers themselves are acceptably challenging, but the final chamber really ups the ante in ways that don’t feel earned and end up just frustrating instead of challenging. Hard mode is barely any harder than easy mode, just don’t get hit as much and you’ll be fine

The first game I struggled with the combat, in this one I found the platforming to be more difficult. Both games are close in difficulty and both require patience, practice, and perseverance for the average gamer. 

Collecting the key parts for the good ending is probably the biggest challenge. For hard mode I played most of it as Jaguar, i did switch to Pek for the boss fights until i got the health charge unlocked. And I used Javier for the final battle, i was getting shredded in a costume.

I also dont understand how they call this a 10-20 hr plat unless you only do the hard play through - my hard play through was 13 hours. The plat took me 45 hours, and still have to do all of the Proving Grounds DLC which could take another 8 or so hours while estimates are 1-2 hours lol. 

Edited by audiopile

This is easier than the original and you use the chicken a lot more. 

The "extra hard" platforming sections from the first are replaced with much easier versions. The final boss is way, way easier, too. 

If you were able to do the first game, you'll have no problem with this one, even on Hard. It's still an awesome game and one of my favorites of all time, it's just easier.

• 9 months later...

The camera is better in this game.

It's minor but the action seems to be more detached, making it easier to see the whole field of battle and more comfortable to the eye. 

I've yet to have foreground elements obscure my vision like the temple areas of the first game, thankfully. 

Besides that, similar experience. The cheap enemies and overly complex platforming sections are back. 

It's a fun game so far, like the first one, wishing they made some of the platforming sections more leisurely but it is what it is at this point. 

Update: Chicken Crucible and Hard Mode are considerably more difficult. Proving Grounds were easier. 

First one was a 6/10 with a torturous section or two. This one is an 8/10 I guess you could grade down to a 7/10 due to length but still very difficult. Most regular gamers would put it on the shelf, imo. 

Edit: Or it would be without Mindful Meditation. That is a cheat code. Cleared Uay Peck first try after hitting my head into a wall for two hours.

Edited by Wagszilla

• 6 months later...
On 2021-03-21 at 6:24 PM, Wagszilla said:

Update: Chicken Crucible and Hard Mode are considerably more difficult. Proving Grounds were easier. 

First one was a 6/10 with a torturous section or two. This one is an 8/10 I guess you could grade down to a 7/10 due to length but still very difficult. Most regular gamers would put it on the shelf, imo. 

Edit: Or it would be without Mindful Meditation. That is a cheat code. Cleared Uay Peck first try after hitting my head into a wall for two hours.

It’s very surprising to me that these games have such a high rarity % here on PSNP as they are both significantly tougher than they appear in the guides. The platforming in particular can be extremely difficult when it starts demanding that you juggle multiple techniques at once while dimension swapping, switching in and out of pollo form etc. There were a few sections that made my brain hurt. ?

I think the high completion % is partly a statement on how great these games are though. They are challenging but doable, and very addictive once you settle in, so I suppose a lot of people just refuse to give up and persist until they beat it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I think the high completion % is partly a statement on how great these games are though. They are challenging but doable, and very addictive once you settle in, so I suppose a lot of people just refuse to give up and persist until they beat it.

Yes, challenging but doable, around 6-7/10 I think, especially for the hidden jumping puzzle stage (sorry I forgot its name). However that stage design is additive since there are checkpoints everywhere, players may feel like they must finish it because of what they have done so far.

On 2021-10-17 at 4:19 PM, Astray404 said:

Yes, challenging but doable, around 6-7/10 I think, especially for the hidden jumping puzzle stage (sorry I forgot its name). However that stage design is additive since there are checkpoints everywhere, players may feel like they must finish it because of what they have done so far.

Those jumping puzzles were brutal. The frequent checkpoints helped a lot but I remember many times in Tule Treetop where I fell nearly the length of the entire climb and it bypassed the checkpoint, causing me to have to start over from a much lower point. ?

The Crucible in Guacamelee 2 was a bit shorter with only 8-9 rooms, but some of them were absolutely brutal. I find the pollo bird’s movement is very difficult to control and make precise movements with. So glad that’s over lol.

Fantastic games overall though. Just got the platinum a little while ago. I really hope we see a Guacamelee 3 one of these days!

• Like 1