Getting the Platinum diminished my enjoyment of Detroit: Become Human

it didn't ruin mine, but it did open me up to the typical david cage ineptitude at story writing. so many convenient and cliche things happen. on my 2nd playtrhough, plenty of occasions just outright contradict the storyline you are making because not enough extra lines of dialogue where made. 

• Like 2

It's been 3 months since I started this game and I still haven't gotten the platinum. I loved the game when I first played, but having to play a chapter 2+ times just takes away the fun. Especially if you only feel comfortable with one of the 3-5 choices you can make. I'm currently missing 2 magazines and I have absolutely lost the motivation the get them.

I thought I'd hate doing it, but I actually really enjoyed getting the platinum for this game. I don't know why exactly, because it is incredibly repetitive. It's probably got something to do with lockdown in my country starting around the time I bought it - I was stuck indoors, on a tight budget, and figured I'd better squeeze out every ounce of worth from the game. 

Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier, though. Oh, boy. Was really impressed with that one the first time round, but going for the plat really made me think again.

On 10.8.2020 at 2:50 AM, ImStylinOnYaBro said:

it didn't ruin mine, but it did open me up to the typical david cage ineptitude at story writing. so many convenient and cliche things happen. on my 2nd playtrhough, plenty of occasions just outright contradict the storyline you are making because not enough extra lines of dialogue where made. 

David cage is well known as one of the worst video game writers. While he certainly has his moments and the games aren't really bad there are outright bad moments in them. Indigo prophecy for example started out great and got worse and worse over time. This is also the case for most of his other games, at least for me. That robo auschwitz scene was just.. special.

5 hours ago, xDerErnst said:

David cage is well known as one of the worst video game writers. While he certainly has his moments and the games aren't really bad there are outright bad moments in them. Indigo prophecy for example started out great and got worse and worse over time. This is also the case for most of his other games, at least for me. That robo auschwitz scene was just.. special.

one bit i really cringed at on mop up was this. connor got killed by his partner in the snowy bridge scene bit. then i killed chloe with connor and my partner was pissed off. complete contradiction. 

I completed it for the first time while it came out and got 75% of the trophies. Decided not to replay it until a few days ago. 

That helps a lot. I’ve got most of the trophies, and just need to do a third run by selecting a certain chapter and carry on from that.

i find doing this for certain games (especially QD’s games) helped a lot to ease off the repetitive side.

• Like 1

you know what I would LOVE that all these "interactive drama" authors did? Erica, QD games, Telltale games, Dontnod ID games...

Add a couple of buttons, imitating japanese visual novels, where, if the system detects that particular sequence has already been done on a previous WT:

- one button SKIPS the whole sequence, and

- the other FAST FORWARDS the whole sequence.

Wait, you know what, i don't care about the 2nd option, but OMG it's time to add the first one, for gods sake.

I'd love to replay many Telltale games, in fact I played the first TWD three times and a half. But in the end it was sooooo tedious oh my god. Haven't been able to do the same with any other Telltale game. Erica after two walkthroughs was a total chore. And so on.

Replaying all these games is boring as hell, but sometimes the new scenes we couldn't watch before are worth the effort. Sometimes! But it would be like thrice funnier if we could just skip the preseen scenes!

And sorry David Cage, but your games would be so much better if you had real writers for them. Stop trying to do everything! Leave that to Kojima, lol.

19 minutes ago, Ekir said:

you know what I would LOVE that all these "interactive drama" authors did? Erica, QD games, Telltale games, Dontnod ID games...

Add a couple of buttons, imitating japanese visual novels, where, if the system detects that particular sequence has already been done on a previous WT:

- one button SKIPS the whole sequence, and

- the other FAST FORWARDS the whole sequence.

Wait, you know what, i don't care about the 2nd option, but OMG it's time to add the first one, for gods sake.

I'd love to replay many Telltale games, in fact I played the first TWD three times and a half. But in the end it was sooooo tedious oh my god. Haven't been able to do the same with any other Telltale game. Erica after two walkthroughs was a total chore. And so on.

Replaying all these games is boring as hell, but sometimes the new scenes we couldn't watch before are worth the effort. Sometimes! But it would be like thrice funnier if we could just skip the preseen scenes!

And sorry David Cage, but your games would be so much better if you had real writers for them. Stop trying to do everything! Leave that to Kojima, lol.

IIRC, The Life is Strange games have what you are asking for, if you have not played those.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is a game I feel like you should play "blind" the first time. Sure, it'll add more playtime but in a game like this, what is the point of having your hand held the whole way? Seems pointless. Anyways, I'll be playing this on the PS5 blind the first time and then referring to the guide. 

The whole point is to use your own ethics to determine choices.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I feel as though the reason why Quantic Dream games demand so much effort from you to get trophies despite having very little real gameplay is to entice you to reply them over and over and over again to appreciate them more. Unfortunately, because of your reasons (being forced to make choices you don't want to), this has the ironic effect of making it a chore more than anything and ultimately reduces player agency and enjoyment. David Cage, however, is very likely a narcissist who thinks he's God's gift to the interactive genre, so I doubt he would ever think about that as long as trophy hunters are slogging through his games. 

I think any game that has a 'player choice' shouldn't include trophies that would force player to choose something different. and that include games like The Witcher 3. 

if devs want me to play the game MY way, and they're telling me there's no right or wrong, why does the trophy list tell me otherwise, and penalize me for picking the wrong answer 

• Like 1

An impactful and decision-making game like Detroit deserves your full attention without stressing over what needs to be acquired for the platinum, and that's exactly what I did. While I do get a lot of my enjoyment from trophies, I never allow that to determine how to navigate games like this one. At the end of the day, just lean back, and concede to making your own choices.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 11/17/2020 at 1:24 AM, ThunderSaucepan said:

I feel as though the reason why Quantic Dream games demand so much effort from you to get trophies despite having very little real gameplay is to entice you to reply them over and over and over again to appreciate them more. Unfortunately, because of your reasons (being forced to make choices you don't want to), this has the ironic effect of making it a chore more than anything and ultimately reduces player agency and enjoyment. David Cage, however, is very likely a narcissist who thinks he's God's gift to the interactive genre, so I doubt he would ever think about that as long as trophy hunters are slogging through his games. 

That's been a thing ever since Heavy Rain came out over a decade ago. Still haven't played either Beyond or Detroit, but I'll do both in the near future.

David Cage is really a guy you either like or hate. Sort of like the Quentin Tarantino of the video game industry.

• 1 month later...

I just finished this game and I felt the same too. I did the first playthrough the way I wanted to, have everyone alive at the end . It was enjoyable and I was emotionally invested in all of the characters . The second playthrough killed my enthusiasm , I had to make dumb choices to kill off Connor, which really sucked all the enjoyment away from the game. By the end of it, I did not even feel an iota of happiness when the platinum pinged, I was like Thank Goodness its OVER!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9.1.2020 at 11:49 PM, DarthMagnus0605 said:

Whenever I finish a platinum in a game I usually do two things. The first is a jump up in my chair screaming "YESSS!!". The second is to reflect on how getting the platinum affected my experience with the game. Sometimes my appreciation of the game goes way up and it can make a good game feel great (i.e. Infamous Second Son) or a great game feel even greater (i.e. Resident Evil 2). However, every now and again the chase for the platinum, while fun, can diminish my enjoyment of the game and Detroit: Become Human was one of those times. Now don't get me wrong. I absolutely loved this game. I think next to Indigo Prophecy this might be my favorite David Cage game yet. The characters, the story, the emotions i felt along the way, the revelations were all extremely satisfying. In fact I turned off the trophy notifications my first time through because I wanted to appreciate this game for what it was. However, the chase for the Platinum diminished my enjoyment of the game. I was now forced to make decisions for characters that I felt was incongruous with the story and motivations I had built up for them. My Markus is more MLK than Malcom X. My Conner wants to have a bromance with Hank not be cold to him. My Kara does make it. Forcing my characters to do things I didn't want them to do sucked and in some ways took away from the experience I had the first time playing it. I still am glad I got the Platinum but it came with a cost.

Did anyone feel the same as me? What games did you feel you would have enjoyed more if you were not chasing after the Platinum?

Then don't get the platinum

It's that simple 

You don't need to get every single platinum trophy

Enjoying games comes first

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to playing this and while this is mostly easy, Detroit: Become Human has a whole bunch of missable trophies. Like its predecessor Heavy Rain, a big slip up might mean a few more hours of gameplay. For Heavy Rain it was the trophy Perfect Crime. For Detroit: Become Human, it is the trophy I'll Be Back, for killing Connor at every opportunity. Very easy to screw up this one so a guide is pretty much mandatory for the platinum, unless you desire to spend 10 - 12 playthroughs of this game, which would be insane.

On 11/17/2020 at 2:03 AM, Trini said:

An impactful and decision-making game like Detroit deserves your full attention without stressing over what needs to be acquired for the platinum, and that's exactly what I did. While I do get a lot of my enjoyment from trophies, I never allow that to determine how to navigate games like this one. At the end of the day, just lean back, and concede to making your own choices.

On 4/25/2021 at 6:40 PM, lostforever77 said:

Then don't get the platinum

It's that simple 

You don't need to get every single platinum trophy

Enjoying games comes first

There's a reason why Detroit: Become Human's platinum is a 15.49 percent rarity on PSNP. Yes, the game is easy and yes, this game is excellent. Very solid quality storytelling with meaningful characters. But the platinum requires you to do a bit of work.

I mean if I was purely casual who didn't care about trophy completion then sure, I would of probably played for one or two playthroughs then left it. That's why the reward for me is a bit more fruitful for those who decide to go for the platinum anyway, because it's not something that everybody can achieve. I don't think either of these people I've quoted got the platinum for Detroit: Become Human, and that's fine. Because it wasn't for everyone.

There's a telling difference between this and Marvel's Spider-Man. Far more people have the platinum for Spider-Man than they do for Detroit. Which points to all the missables, and people having to go out of their way to make decisions they would otherwise not make because said trophy said they had to do it that way. Whereas with Spider-Man, there's basically no missables at all, you finish the story and you go around New York getting all the collectibles, which are automatically tracked on the map.

• 2 weeks later...

yep. I loved this game so much, played it twice in 3 days (took a one day break) and got 2 different endings. Somehow, I got almost all of the trophies on those 2 playthroughs (I'm just a really interesting person with interesting decisions).

Then I had 2 trophies left: Kill Marcus every time and Everybody alive at the end. Uh oh. Those conflict.

I enjoyed killing Marcus every time. He has a stupid hairstyle. :angel::popcorn:

But then... 9 months go by of me not doing the last trophy. I didn't want to play through it again. I only got to it when I was bored beyond belief and had somebody to watch it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This is an old topic but I feel like I enjoyed the game going for plat (minus finding all the damn magazines) and seeing what could have been. I liked the choices I made when I played and I liked being friends with Hank. While abandoning him and chasing the deviant on the roof was not something I would have done myself it's definitely interesting to see the how it could have played out if I chose that. I also would've done another run anyway even if I didn't care about the plat just to see what would happen if I chose the other options because I was really curious.

On 09/01/2020 at 6:58 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

I said the same thing. 

It is why I wish Cage would do the telltale thing where you get the platinum for beating the game that way you play it your way without worrying "did i screw something up".

Also, I enjoy Telltale games and its refreshing to be able to get an easy plat but it kinda ruins the whole point of a platinum trophy. They're supposed to be grindy and hard to get and thats why they're such a great reward and why people love them so much. It would also be kinda dumb for you to get DBHs plat without even experiencing everything the game has to offer or doing everything there is to do in the game, again the whole point of a plat, so if you just wanted your playthrough then you should just be satisfied getting "This Is My Story" as it rewards you for doing exactly what you wished the platinum did - completing the story however you wanted to. 

Edited by ObsidianPlayzz

On 8/17/2020 at 0:58 AM, KHDelBoy said:

I completed it for the first time while it came out and got 75% of the trophies. Decided not to replay it until a few days ago. 

That helps a lot. I’ve got most of the trophies, and just need to do a third run by selecting a certain chapter and carry on from that.

i find doing this for certain games (especially QD’s games) helped a lot to ease off the repetitive side.

This. I did the same with Heavy Rain. Recently went for platinum and had a blast doing it.  It was nostalgic for me as I loved the story first time I played it, plus I loved seeing all the little decisions and how they drastically change the outcome.  Any game like this feels repetitive if you play it immediately after but some players don't know how to let a game breathe for a while.

for me any game that you have to play multiple playthroughs on takes the fun away of getting a plat, until dawn got annoying in the end

sometimes I leave a game for ages once I've played through it once because I can't be bothered jumping straight back into again but I have to admit it's very great once you do because it means you never have to do it again

On 10/15/2020 at 5:10 PM, MikeCheck-- said:

This is a game I feel like you should play "blind" the first time. Sure, it'll add more playtime but in a game like this, what is the point of having your hand held the whole way? Seems pointless. Anyways, I'll be playing this on the PS5 blind the first time and then referring to the guide. 

The whole point is to use your own ethics to determine choices.

Exactly. 

On 02/09/2021 at 0:40 PM, LukeTheGooner said:

for me any game that you have to play multiple playthroughs on takes the fun away of getting a plat, until dawn got annoying in the end

sometimes I leave a game for ages once I've played through it once because I can't be bothered jumping straight back into again but I have to admit it's very great once you do because it means you never have to do it again

Until Dawn only needed 2 playthroughs