Will you be buying the PS5 day one?

Venocide

Hard to say. The clinch will probably be full compatibility back to PS3, that way I can get rid of two consoles instead of just a PS4, but I've also had no problems with my launch PS4 to-date. I will likely end up doing the same as Daiv and pick up some PS5 titles before the console, like I did with PS4 (I'm sure there were more, but Black Flag is the current standout).

• Like 4

Don't know enough yet to have made up my mind. I more or less swore off ever buying a console at launch again after the whole Wii U fiasco, but I may yet be persuaded. I've already got money stashed away for it, leastways...

If the launch lineup is strong enough, it might push me over the edge. Moreover, if the PS4 backwards compatibility stuff turns out to be legit I'm probably gonna sell the old PS4 while I can still get a decent price for it. The real deal breaker for me would be if the extent of the backwards compatibility turns out to be all it could be... that's a Day One power move, right there.

As yet I'm impervious to any hype as it barely even exists on any tangible level beyond what's expected for a new generation as a matter of course. Ball's in Sony's court now, all they have to do is make the right moves.

• Like 1

My MO is generally to pick things up day one... but not consoles oddly enough.  How quickly I get a PS5 will depend on its game library and backwards compatibility.  If there are any "must play" games in its launch library (probably wont be), I could see me getting one when the initial rush dies down.  Moreso if there's at least PS4 backwards compatibility... since I'd probably consider selling my PS4 along with getting it to open that spot/make space in my entertainment setup.  (EDIT: Hoping P.T. data can be transferred to/used on the PS5.)

Otherwise probably sometime mid to late 2021 or whenever that first batch of post-launch titles start coming through.

Edited by Dreakon13

I always buy day 1. But, given that my pro has has more updates to improve stability, and I can still crash it playing uncharted, or even opening a message, I doubt I will.

First PS4 had the HDMI handshake issue day 2, 2nd ps4 got ridiculous artifacting (as seen on my youtube channel) 3rd (white edition) ps4 still is fine, and my pro, which was always noisy on AAA titles works fine, but crashes for stupidest things. I had a 60gb ps3 that i had to repair myself (YLOD) my kids had 3 ps3's, only one works ok, and i had 4 ps2's and maybe 5 ps1's.

PS5 can wait for a low power version, a slim, a pro, or a special edition (days of play or similar) before I upgrade to a 5

• Like 2

It depends on a few things. Games available and price mostly.

PS4 launch costed $4000 over here and that is like 6 months of minimum wage at the time. Local mídia is saying to expect the same price for PS5 and that is a no go for sure but if like God of War releases as a PS5 exclusive then I will make a effort to get it.

Edited by Montyzu
  • Like 4

Ps4 was my first console purchased day 1 and I don't regret it one bit. I am already planning how to save to have PS5 on launch. Especially if it is fully PS4 backwards compatibility on day one. I'll trade my PS4 towards it. 

Most didn't like the PS4 launch line up but I didn't mind KZ Shadowfall. Still haven't played Knack. If it is a strong launch line up. It will seal the day for me Some things I have seen as rumors of possible PS5 launch titles is the Demon's Soul remake, Gran Turismo 7 and seen on Twitter today that there is rumors of a new Ratchet & Clank game for PS5 launch.

• Like 2

I won't be buying the PS5 until the pro version of it comes out because I remember how annoyed I was that I didn't wait for the Ps4 pro. Until then there should still be plenty to do with the PS4, more psplus games, many new games who will still come to PS4 for years to come just like back then with the PS3, all the other games I didn't get to play so far, replaying more old ps1-2 games that are in the shop, and of course PsNows growing library. By the time I get the PS5 pro version, I will have a big collection of games for it due to all the free psplus games stacking up and exclusives that have come out by then, so I do not mind waiting.

• Like 2

I had ps 2, ps 4 day 1, i was unhappy with only fifa 14 and cod ghost back then. My ps pro is half dead, cant read dvds blue ray movies. On vertical stand it plays all my games. If my pro dies before i get ps 5 day 1. If backwards only works for ps 4 games im down with it. i safed already 500 euro as well 4 it. So its a 50/50 if i buy it day 1