Will you be buying the PS5 day one?

Venocide

Not sure. Depends on how well the whole backwards compatibility thing with PS4 works. I get annoyed with loadtimes on the PS4 sometimes and if the PS5 eliminates those for PS4 games as well that would be a huge incentive for me. I never got a new console at launch (only got my PS4 in 2016 when Uncharted 4 came out) but since loadtimes are an important aspect for me this might actually be my first time ? 

Edited by Baka_Marimo

I really wonder how this whole COVID-19 situation is gonna affect the launch of not only PS5, but Xbox Series X as well. If I'm not mistaken I read a post from Sony about how PS5 is gonna be a limited release this year. If that's the case, then I might pass on it at release. Sure, the PS5 has a more powerful hardware than my PS4 but one thing this quarantine has definitely done is to remind me just how bad and disastrous my backlog is, not just on PS4 but on Vita and PS3 as well lol. There's really no rush in my opinion to get a PS5 unless there's a really promising launch title (Godfall looks pretty generic from that one trailer we got). Backwards compatibility to PS4 is nice but it's not enough to pull me in for a Day One purchase. There's also the matter regarding its price too. I live in Australia so the prices, due to taxes, are almost always ridiculous. 

On 17/04/2020 at 5:31 PM, theSpirae said:

The major factor I forgot to mention. How loud it is going to be. I consider PS4 quite loud so we'll have to wait and see.

The pro is really quiet, I hope the ps5 is the same. Original ps4 consoles were absolutely awful in terms of noise. 

Hell no.  I have been burned every time I bought a console shortly after release with that console having serious problems in the first run.  I now wait at least a year for them to release a working console and get some decent games released.  I have a large enough PS3/Vita/PS4 backlog anyhow.

On 3/26/2020 at 2:30 AM, Fragtaster said:

Firstly: I'm not arguing with you like the other guy, so don't worry. I just wanted to add my own two-cents from someone who is the better part of a decade older than you are, and has his own strong opinions on these 'which decade was best' debates that pops up often all over the internet (and not to discount you're own view on the matter):

You were born in 1986. Hardly considered the better part of a decade older than him.

I think one of the oldest guys on these forums was born in 1969. We got some people born in 2000 - 2001. There's a pretty big generational gap when you look at everybody in these forums. Much of what they enjoy and appreciate was influenced by the things they experienced in their childhood and highschool years, going into college.

I still think the 1980's was a abjectly better time for film and music quality. I feel like when it comes to certain genres...well some where just better back in the day, while others are vastly better now. I think most people in the music scene will tell you that music today in generic, homogeneous cookie-cutter noise that is so over produced, massively auto-tuned, and genre-less that it no longer has warm, soul, personality or identity (and this extends to the copy paste artists with names that could have been created by a mindless machine that squished random words and letters together).

A big reason for this is much of today's music is intended solely to sell records.

The first guy that pops in my mind whenever someone tells me the music quality was better.... Michael Jackson. There's no question he was one of the most talented, praised and distinct musical performers America ever produced. He was overexposed, sure, his music got overplayed on the radio, and his later life was plagued by his childish antics and bizarre behavior. His change of skin color and multiple plastic surgeries on his face made him an easy target for scrutiny. Still, I was depressed when he passed away in 2009. Because we will very likely never have an American performer that will ever match his talent and legacy, which people still appreciate today.

I think the best you're going to find is going to come from underground music artists, bands that actually put work into their material. Using autotune to replace singing talent is just sad. Why Justin Beiber, Taylor Swift and Rihanna are still relevant today I will never know. They suck, and their music seems to get progressively worse.

Nobody can tell me today's mainstream rappers are better than Tupac Shakur, or Biggie Smalls, or Naughty by Nature. You just can't emulate what they did. When they come out with hacks like Blueface, who can't even rap on beat, you know the genre has gone to shit.

MANY film buffs will tell you that the 1980's is where it was at as far as creativity, amount of content produced, and cult appeal. If you look back at the impact of film during that decade alone, you can't deny that hard hitters such as Star Wars was at it's height of quality in the 80's. You also can't deny that the 80's produced a incredibly amount of culturally defining classics, such as Ghostbusters, Friday the 13th,  Ghostbusters, The Terminator, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Goonies, Breakfast Club, Raider of The Lost Ark, E.T., Back to the Future, Die Hard, Gremlins, Top Gun, The Shining, Blade Runner, Farris Buellers's Day Off, Full Metal Jacket, Aliens, The Thing, Evil Dead, Caddyshack, Dirty Dancing, The Karate Kid, Air Plane, American Werewolf in London, Rambo First Blood, The Christopher Reed Superman Films, Tim Burton's Batman, and literally so many masterpieces that I could fill a page or two with just names (for example, I haven't named any Eddie Murphy films).

Add in Beverly Hills Cop (I added an Eddie Murphy film), Pee-wee's Big Adventure, Naked Gun, Planes Trains and Automobiles (probably John Candy's best) and Robocop.

Film buffs will also tell you the movie stars were more memorable. Eddie Murphy, Tom Cruise, Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, John Candy, Tom Hanks, Pee Wee Herman, Bill Murray, Jackie Chan, Harrison Ford, Leslie Nielsen, Jack Nicholson and a whole bunch of others had their defining moments during the 1980s.

Today I couldn't even list 5 - 10 movie actors who are worth watching. Samuel L Jackson just seems to get cast in shitty movie after shitty movie, probably to overextend his already pretty lengthy movie career.

I don't even need to list the number of shitty superhero movies, or Hollywood's obsession with remaking old classics from the 1980s and before and turning them into a joke. Just look what they're doing with Star Wars. How many times must we get a new Marvel superhero movie? It's just nuts.

But speaking specifically to the quality of games now vs in decades past: Classic Mega Man was better in the 80's and 90's than modern entries.

I can't judge Mega Man 11, since I haven't played it yet. But Mega Man was never a series that did well in 3-D.

Mega Man's prime was during the NES heydays. The series had good success with the X games on the SNES, but they started making them more cumbersome when they switched over to PS1. The latter part of the Mega Man X games which I played last November was really just a bunch of ideas that didn't work. The last game was made in 2004, you can definitely say it ended on a whimper.

As far as the classic series is concerned, Mega Man 9 and 10 were both targeting the oldschool fans who grew up on the NES. I honestly think in ways they were better than the classic games. They brought in modern features like a save system and being able to buy components for Mega Man with screws. Still they brought enough of a challenge to be enjoyable. I hope one day Capcom will re-release Mega Man 9 with trophy support.

Mega Man 11 looks pretty good, and I think the switch from the nostalgic 8- bit graphics is a necessary move. Can't wait to play it, but I don't want to pay $29.99 for it. That's a bit too much.

And to touch on just a slice of TV. If we were just talking about Sitcoms, family shows, and Police Dramas alone - you can find better days in the past too: Seinfeld, Family Ties, NYPD Blue, Cheers, Fraiser, The Simpsons (first few seasons), The Wonder Years, X-Files, Golden Girls, The Cosby Show, Miami Vice, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Quantum Leap, Murder She Wrote, Baywatch.....lol....just kidding again... 1f61c.png

Beavis & Butthead (one of my all time favorites), Rocko's Modern Life, Doug, Rugrats, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Family Matters, Home Improvement, Friends, Darkwing Duck, Talespin, Goof Troop, Swat Kats: The Radical Squadron, Gargoyles, Batman: The Animated Series, Animaniacs, Tiny Toon Adventures, Sesame Street, Bill Nye the Science Guy, The Magic School Bus, Suddenly Susan, Boy Meets World, Third Rock From the Sun, South Park (first few seasons), Family Guy (first few seasons), Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Roseanne, Married with Children, and literally 100 other shows I can't name right now.

Call me stuck in the past, but television in the 1980s and 1990s was soooooooo much better than the bullshit we got now. Even My Name is Earl, The Office (both UK and US versions), Ugly Betty, The Bernie Mac Show, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report in the 2000s was a lot better than the bullshit today. Don't even get me started on The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under, Big Love and The Wire.

I can't think of more than five television shows today that I can sit down, watch and be entertained by.

But (again: IMO), you can't blanketly say that this is the best time in entertainment - because entertainment covers more than Game of Thrones, Forza and Billie Ellish. I've grown up along side the last 40 years, and I can tell you that there are a lot of places where I favor what was done in the past vs the present.

So the birth date you listed was wrong?

I can watch, play or listen to just about anything I want from whatever time period I feel it was best. So I can absolutely agree whole-heartedly that these days rock for CONSUMING media. 1f918.png?

That is single handedly the best thing about living in today.

Edited by Spaz

I have a Super Nintendo. Ps1 Ps2 Ps3 Ps4. Xbox 360 and a Xbox one. I have NEVER bought a console day one! I usually wait about a year. Most of the time I don't like many of the launch games for any console. I like to see if the console has any bugs that need to be worked out and then fixed. And if any stores have any good bundle deals within a year of release. Also... If you wait a year most of the $60 games that have come out that year will be around $20. 

It depends on 3 main factors, my Ps4 is clearly starting to fail, so if it dies before the ps5 preorders are available, I will probably buy day one so I can play Ps4 games on it. The second thing that would sway me to buy day one is a major title from a series I love being exclusive to Next Gen and it looking like something I have to play right away, so like if bungie dropped support for ps4 like they did ps3 during Rise of Iron for the next expansions for destiny, I would almost assuredly move to the ps5 day 1. The final way would be if I somehow became very rich and could afford to drop money on something I don't need right away, I waited a little for my ps4 because I was broke when it came out, and I had a ps3, I was enjoying at the time, chances are I will be broke when the ps5 comes out too. I chose a not so well paying job, but I enjoy it more than anything else I have ever done, for work that  is. 

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

A big reason for this is much of today's music is intended solely to sell records.

The first guy that pops in my mind whenever someone tells me the music quality was better.... Michael Jackson. There's no question he was one of the most talented, praised and distinct musical performers America ever produced. He was overexposed, sure, his music got overplayed on the radio, and his later life was plagued by his childish antics and bizarre behavior. His change of skin color and multiple plastic surgeries on his face made him an easy target for scrutiny. Still, I was depressed when he passed away in 2009. Because we will very likely never have an American performer that will ever match his talent and legacy, which people still appreciate today.

I think the best you're going to find is going to come from underground music artists, bands that actually put work into their material. Using autotune to replace singing talent is just sad. Why Justin Beiber, Taylor Swift and Rihanna are still relevant today I will never know. They suck, and their music seems to get progressively worse.

Nobody can tell me today's mainstream rappers are better than Tupac Shakur, or Biggie Smalls, or Naughty by Nature. You just can't emulate what they did. When they come out with hacks like Blueface, who can't even rap on beat, you know the genre has gone to shit.

I'd imagine it's largely a generational gap - pop artists are distinctly meant to cater to younger audiences, and they're massively popular among them. Given how well they perform, I don't think it's fair to say they're terrible, they just perform in ways that cater to different sensibilities than yours. I do agree that they're washed out, but that's kind of the problem with commercializing art - it stops being a celebration of the artist and their art, which is what art should be about, and instead becomes a job; and we all know how soulless jobs are.

That being said, there's plenty of current artists who I think are incredible but are wildly underrated (one group that's given me some amazing songs has less than 10-20k views on their official songs on Youtube), and I think that's just a problem with, again, the commercialization of music - the truth is, no artist is worth billions of fans. No artist. And by putting these mega-artists on a pedestal where they're borderline worshiped, you do so at the expense of smaller, just as good artists, who will never have their music celebrated nearly as much, not because they didn't try their hardest, and not because of the quality of their art, but just because they were unlucky.

But ultimately, you can't really value art, because art is a personal thing. The commercialization of art demands that it be objectively valued, and that process is always going to be one that hurts art in the long run.

I'm thinking of possibly buying the PS5 on launch date but it will hinge to some extent on the release titles.  Don't know much about them at the moment but if it turned out there was nothing among them I'm interested in then I'd probably wait a bit.  Never bought a console on launch day before though so it would be nice to have the experience.  That said another factor to consider for me is whether ore not I can pay in physical cash which would be my preference.  With a lot of places not wanting to except money in the current crisis and preferring card payments perhaps it would be too uncomfortable or awkward to try and buy one with actual money.  I don't like paying by card so if I had to pay that way it would definitely put me off.  

28 minutes ago, PondNewt said:

I'm thinking of possibly buying the PS5 on launch date but it will hinge to some extent on the release titles.  Don't know much about them at the moment but if it turned out there was nothing among them I'm interested in then I'd probably wait a bit.  Never bought a console on launch day before though so it would be nice to have the experience.  That said another factor to consider for me is whether ore not I can pay in physical cash which would be my preference.  With a lot of places not wanting to except money in the current crisis and preferring card payments perhaps it would be too uncomfortable or awkward to try and buy one with actual money.  I don't like paying by card so if I had to pay that way it would definitely put me off.  

Who is not accepting cash money??  Retailers prefer cash over credit card so they don’t have to pay the transaction fee.  

• Like 1

Will exactly wait one year for this reasons:

*Price drop. Pretty obvious reason. I'm sure I can save a lot of bucks since that's always the case with consoles.

* Larger amount of games. To wait one year means, that all day one games will be available for at least half the price and there will be plenty of games to choose of.

*Technical teethings ( there have been a lot on so many consoles in the past ) will be gone ( hopefully ).

* My PS4 Backlog with tons of awesome games is still huge. Means I can play for at least another 2 or 3 years without sitting dry.

All in all four good reasons for me to be patient for a little longer ^^ no need to rush for me. All Day one buyers a good time nonetheless. I am really excited about our next generation ?

Edited by DavySuicide

I’ll buy a PS5 in March/April next year. It will give it time to be in stock in most stores so I don’t have to continuously check when one is available. I know I cold pre-order, but I don’t like to give my money away until I know the product is good. Like other have said, I have big enough backlog on my PS4 to keep me busy.