Will you be buying the PS5 day one?

Venocide

Depends on the launch titles imo. I haven't got it in me to wait a few years for the pro or slim, especially when games like Horizon Zero Dawn 2 and God of War 2 will probably come out next year. It's probably going to be released in November time based on a lot of rumours but i do have a decent sized backlog of games to get through first so we shall see.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Akrioz said:

In Soviet Russia you either buy it as soon as possible, or economy collapses and you end up buying it for 1.5 times more a year later. So definitely a day one buy. 

I hope it will work with all PS4 games without any workarounds so I will just replace PS4 with PS5 as my main gaming platform.

I can't help but read this in the voice of Yakov Smirnoff.

"In Russia, game plays you!!"

• Like 1

If the PS5 i backwards compatible with PS4 games via disc and digital i'll simply buy a PS5 day one(ish) since it will be a big upgrade from my 2014 base PS4. Would prefer to play upcoming PS4 and 5 games on faster hardware with less load times. Have already saved the money for a PS5 and a new 4K TV so hopefully it won't be a disastrous launch.

• Like 2

That's gonna be a pass for me. Normally I'll hold out for about a year when buying whatever the "Next Gen" console happens to be. So holiday season 2021 is when I'll be picking up a PS5. There seems to always be issues involved with the first batch of any new piece of tech especially new consoles. Plus like most, I still have an insane amount of backlogged games that I will inevitability need to get through before I'm comfortable dropping $400-$500 on a new console regardless of backwards compatibility. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure what I'll do. Ideally I'd like to wait (at least till the holiday season next year, if not longer), so that the games library gets bigger, the console gets cheaper, I can get a bundle with a game, and hopefully there'll be a revision that sorts out whatever issues the initial console has. Truthfully, I already have a lot of games I want to play on other systems, too, so waiting would be the better, and more financially responsible option. I'm just not sure I'd be able to convince myself to wait that long, and I'd also be fine with trading in my PS4 so that'd save on the upfront cost. I'm saving the money anyways, just in case I want to jump in early, but I'm still having a very hard time deciding. 

Edited by iceblade997
  • Like 1

Absolutely not. No reason to waste money on an unfinished product with small game library. 

I bought the Switch the moment it came out and there was barely anything to play so it ended up in my closet collecting dust until I took it one day to work and lost it. 

I will not make the same mistake again. 

Defective units at launch prevent me from getting it early, but I'm going with most people and say that if it is full retrocompatible, then I'm taking the risk.

I still have a huge backlog of PS3 to play, and had no money to do the PS4 migration...so, yeah, suits me.

The thing is that I firmly believe the PS5 will have full BC, but just like the PS3 in the earlier days, it will be just at launch, then maybe just PS4 compatible.
I see the full BC would be a major selling point worth to implement on the PS5 to give it a boost in sales, but after a year, tops, I'm sure they'll focus on the games and stop making retrocompatible hardware.

So, if possible, I'll try to buy a couple PS5s at launch, since they'll surely become rare and really expensive a set of years.
Well, that's just a theory, a Gaaaaaming industry theory. Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

I will wait for atleast a year or two, just like what I did for the ps3 and ps4. Got the slim version for ps3 and bought the 2nd version of ps4 (the one with the top cover being matte and not glossy). 

But if reviews and hands on experience of 1st day owners results to a positive note then purchasing a ps5 on its early launch is a possible.