DLC Difficulty

thefourfoldroot

Warning to anybody who had a great time going for the platinum and unlocking all 3 stars in the base game. The wife and I loved it, so got all the DLC for £13, but gave up on it very quickly. Surf & Turf is fine but for everything in the season pass they ramped up the difficulty massively. Its no problem to get through on two stars but three is massively frustrating for two players. Maybe it's balanced for more, I don't know. But the trophies aren't going to happen for us. Much, much harder than the base game.

edit: so they agreed and lowered the difficulty on the first couple of DLCs. Hopefully they also do this for the final ones.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

I wonder how many arguments this game has caused.  I remember the wife storming off to bed after telling her she was useless and didn't know what she was doing in this game.  

You're right though,  the dlc is way harder,  but it's doable and probably better because it lasts longer.  Just keep at it and try to have a laugh along the way.  

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, closertim said:

I wonder how many arguments this game has caused.  I remember the wife storming off to bed after telling her she was useless and didn't know what she was doing in this game.  

You're right though,  the dlc is way harder,  but it's doable and probably better because it lasts longer.  Just keep at it and try to have a laugh along the way.  

Lol, we were just saying the same thing. She says I get too annoyed and vocal, but my argument is that it's only in the frustration of the moment. Now she stays quiet but is in a mood with me, even after we've finished playing, due to my "attitude" lol. That's way worse I say and I'm sticking to it lol.

As to the DLC, the problem is that winning is fun, having to keep redoing something is something else. Whilst common for me, she only plays games occasionally and has little patience for "challenge". I think the most times we had to repeat a level in the base game was 3 times but this was when we could see we were close.

The difficulty jump is just insane, so it makes it feel unfair and almost like a different game. Even when "cheating" by preparing lots of food on levels where it was allowed, we still didn't manage to get 3 stars. It's like four stars in the base game took over as standard for three in the DLC. Real shame. 

• Like 3

I absolutely loved this game and the increase in difficulty really made it even more fun for me! But I also know my friends hated it so here's some little baby tips for you if you want the trophies.

• Kevin levels aren't needed in the DLC. For some reason unlike the main game, they aren't required to be played at all. No idea if this is how it's meant to be or what but it's a blessing in disguise so take it
  • The majority of the levels are actually easier on you're own. This is because the score required is much lower and while cooking and chopping, it slows down giving you more time to think and be on top of things. Playing it with 2 or 3 people was just impossible since the score is so large, so either 1 or 4 people is recommended.
  • Even if you aren't doing well in the level and keep failing, keep at it. It's frustrating but a lot of the time I actually noticed silly mistakes and ways to speed things up by replaying the levels I failed.
  • If you're really have no idea how to improve, watch YouTube videos, it helps seeing how other people did things.
  • Also you say you were cheating by preparing a lot of food in advance but this is actually what you're meant to do, if you don't do it then you won't be able to make enough food in time. I also believe that the first 2-3 levels timers don't start until you serve your first dish since it's a tutorial so be sure to cover every bench with food.
  • Most importantly, be patient with you're partner. This game can get very annoying but you're both trying your best so try to remember it's just a game, take this opportunity to learn how to communicate better and more calmly shall we say. It's silly to let a game ruin something which is meant to be a good laugh.

8 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Warning to anybody who had a great time going for the platinum and unlocking all 3 stars in the base game. The wife and I loved it, so got all the DLC for £13, but gave up on it very quickly. Surf & Turf is fine but for everything in the season pass they ramped up the difficulty massively. Its no problem to get through on two stars but three is massively frustrating for two players. Maybe it's balanced for more, I don't know. But the trophies aren't going to happen for us. Much, much harder than the base game.

I was in the exact same situation.. My girlfriend rarely plays games, and Overcooked was one of the first games I bought for us to play in couch-coop. The DLC was a increase in difficulty, but we still managed to get three stars in every level, I didn't need to do any on my own. 

But, Surf'n'Turf is probably the more difficult of the DLC, and the expansions included in the Season Pass get progressively easier (in my opinion). Carnival of Chaos for example is again childsplay in comparison to the other DLC.. ?

Personally, I enjoyed the increase in difficulty, as I prefer needing to play a level 3-4 times instead of getting it on the first try. 

I would say that the hardest levels are the last survival level of Hangry Horde and the last level of Campfire Cook Off. Campfire in particular, because you need to constantly keep in mind a gazilion of things at once. Sometimes the RNG of recipes can also turn the favors for you or against you. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LucileRosethorn said:

I absolutely loved this game and the increase in difficulty really made it even more fun for me! But I also know my friends hated it so here's some little baby tips for you if you want the trophies.

• Kevin levels aren't needed in the DLC. For some reason unlike the main game, they aren't required to be played at all. No idea if this is how it's meant to be or what but it's a blessing in disguise so take it
  • The majority of the levels are actually easier on you're own. This is because the score required is much lower and while cooking and chopping, it slows down giving you more time to think and be on top of things. Playing it with 2 or 3 people was just impossible since the score is so large, so either 1 or 4 people is recommended.
  • Even if you aren't doing well in the level and keep failing, keep at it. It's frustrating but a lot of the time I actually noticed silly mistakes and ways to speed things up by replaying the levels I failed.
  • If you're really have no idea how to improve, watch YouTube videos, it helps seeing how other people did things.
  • Also you say you were cheating by preparing a lot of food in advance but this is actually what you're meant to do, if you don't do it then you won't be able to make enough food in time. I also believe that the first 2-3 levels timers don't start until you serve your first dish since it's a tutorial so be sure to cover every bench with food.
  • Most importantly, be patient with you're partner. This game can get very annoying but you're both trying your best so try to remember it's just a game, take this opportunity to learn how to communicate better and more calmly shall we say. It's silly to let a game ruin something which is meant to be a good laugh.

Good to know there's an easier option of playing alone, but that's not really the reason I bought the game. It was due to it being one of a limited number of local coop games and the wife loving these type of time management games.

The preparation thing is really demonstrative of the deliberate difficulty jump. In the base game it wasn't required, it was just a help, in the DLC it's necessary to reach 3 stars. 

Thank you for the tips. I was just venting because it was such a disappointment to find the DLC balanced very differently to the main game.

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

But, Surf'n'Turf is probably the more difficult of the DLC, and the expansions included in the Season Pass get progressively easier (in my opinion). Carnival of Chaos for example is again childsplay in comparison to the other DLC.. 1f642.png

That's strange to hear. We pretty easily got three stars in the first two worlds and, although the wave level annoyed us and we had to stop, it seems doable.

Couldn't get 3 star in more than a couple of levels in the other DLC's world's though.

51 minutes ago, Akrioz said:

I would say that the hardest levels are the last survival level of Hangry Horde and the last level of Campfire Cook Off. Campfire in particular, because you need to constantly keep in mind a gazilion of things at once. Sometimes the RNG of recipes can also turn the favors for you or against you. 

Hadn't considered recipe order. I kind of assumed you'd get more points and tips for recipes with more ingredients, but perhaps not.

I'll dread those levels then lol.

Well, I guess I can join the club. :D

We were also surprised by the difficulty of DLCs and so far it has been a mixed bag of good and bad emotions on our end. Our first run usually ends heavily below 3 stars and we really have to optimize every run and still barely make it.

I might have to do solo runs if it goes like this for the rest of the game.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Hadn't considered recipe order. I kind of assumed you'd get more points and tips for recipes with more ingredients, but perhaps not.

I'll dread those levels then lol.

Oh that might explain why you're having trouble!! The multiplicator increases if you serve the recipes in order, and it can make a huge difference in the score!! 

So try again keeping this in mind :)

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Oh that might explain why you're having trouble!! The multiplicator increases if you serve the recipes in order, and it can make a huge difference in the score!! 

So try again keeping this in mind :)

Oh, I know this. Always do them in order. Just meant that if the RNG order threw up dishes with more ingredients I though you would get a commensurate rise in points. But maybe not. Seems others feel RNG has an impact.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

3 hours ago, HusKy said:

Well, I guess I can join the club. :D

We were also surprised by the difficulty of DLCs and so far it has been a mixed bag of good and bad emotions on our end. Our first run usually ends heavily below 3 stars and we really have to optimize every run and still barely make it.

I might have to do solo runs if it goes like this for the rest of the game.

Yes, I'm sure some find the need for near perfection a fun challenge but, especially when playing with a non gamer who enjoyed the base game and has now hit a wall, it can also be an annoyance. Especially after spending money but finding a very different experience.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I played through Overcooked, Overcooked 2 and all DLC. We are still of the opinion that Overcooked was the more challenging. We found Surf and Turf to be a little challenging but the rest of the DLC was not that difficult - only the odd level here and there. We had no arguments which was nice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ROFL-WAFFLES said:

Update just went live which has “improved score balance” for surf n turf and campfire cook off.

Holy hell, that's some really good timing!

I just checked one particular level where I remembered the score (Campfire Cook-Off 1-2) and it went from 960 down to 780.

We are back in business boys and girls xD

42 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Yes!!! Just told the wife and she's willing to give it another go. Wonder why just those DLC though.

They are a pretty good dev who take note of discussions on the internet, they also likely have metrics showing that fewer people were earning 3 stars on these dlc’s and adjusted the difficulty accordingly.

43 minutes ago, ROFL-WAFFLES said:

They are a pretty good dev who take note of discussions on the internet, they also likely have metrics showing that fewer people were earning 3 stars on these dlc’s and adjusted the difficulty accordingly.

Well, actually, far more people get 3 stars in surf and turf according to stats on PSN and this site, so I'm hoping they drop the difficulty to a more reasonable level for the others too. Sorry to all those who worked to earn it under the old system though!

I wonder how many people will have to apologize to their partners for insulting them in order to get another shot at the 3 stars now that it is easier. lol

I hope the patch fixed the glitched seasonal levels that would require sushi recipes when there were no sushi ingredients. I guess I'll be finding out later today. I think there are a few new chefs too so I am really excited to play it again. ?

• Like 1