How is character "progression" in Skyforge in 2020? (For new players)

GardenOfSouls

Let me explain the question: I wanna start the game, but heard in a lot o foruns that the game have some heavy "pay walls" if you don't put some cash in the play.

Personally I never paid cash for MMO's, but I can do if it's "necessary" for progression wise.

I complete trophies for every game I play and want to add Skyforge to my list. But the real question is how is the game for new players, and how many time I will need (to get 100% trophies) if I DON'T pay nothing. 

P.S: "Surprise Question": The game is really that fun?

• Like 2

Hi again for the third time.
You absolutely do not need to pay anything, but that will increase your time to plat and 100% tremendously. Also I don't even think it's worth it. Classes are on sale right now for $8.99ish with regular prices being $12.99. Now times that with about 8 and you're looking at pretty steep prices for classes alone. I'm sorry but I'm not well versed in the new currency for classes so I can't tell you how easy or hard it will be to obtain just playing. Just know that it was made harder, sorry.

A good thing about the game is that sometimes they will reward you with premium time but rewards granted from that don't really contribute to anything. Also regarding a paywall. The main game isn't behind a paywall. Events, raids, group battles, PVP, the story, DLC, are all free and can be completed and joined without paying anything. The paywall part comes from the extra curricular activities you can dip your toes in for more cosmetics, currency, and items.

Progression for a new player will start of pretty simple. There is a linear story path that you can follow to an ending. But after that is endgame where you'll spend most of your days. They're time limits and rotations when it comes to raids and other group battles like that so that will force your platinum to about a month, and that's if you play everyday. Also I'm not sure now, but the game really doesn't tell you where or really what to do in terms of user interface and how to select missions. So you'll have to play around that yourself for about 10 minutes and then realizing they're could've been a more simpler U.I. 

Finally, like I've said before I haven't gotten into PVP so I can't really tell you much, except that it's virtually dead. And is the game fun? Yeah, I think it's pretty fun for a free to play MMORPG for the PS4. Probably one of the better ones that don't really bore you or put big necessary content behind a paywall *cough* DCUO *cough*. It also plays more like an action game instead of you selecting a target and auto-hitting it with occasional spells. It's a little bit more involved, but don't expect an action RPG. 

Edited by BestUsername----
  • Like 1

Many thanks for the thrid time BestUserName! You are probably laughing of me right now after so many questions, but I'm in some heavy game dilemma right now.

I really liked the game and wanna start right away, but at the same time I don't want to put something nearly impossible to finish into my account, and ruin it (I'm 12 trophies away from 100% everything).

Trophies ask for PvP, 1000 missions of all kinds, 1000 bosses, 1000 push ups and so on, and I'm okay with that, already did a lot of times in other games, I know the dance step, my fear is that I need other people, or servers shutdown forever before I can finish, things like this.

• Like 1

That's alright.

Have you tried playing and trying out the game on a different profile? Also I should also add that you should start off with a female character since there is a trophy tied to it. I think it's miss-able since I'm not sure if changing genders qualify for popping the trophy, but they might have changed that. If you're playing any other game, I would hold off this game and complete those if you can, since this game is still most likely going to get DLC trophies and will be a time sink.

If you have played the game then you would understand why getting 1000 S rank is arduous. It's not hard per-se but the average mission is about 20-30 minutes to a couple hours depending on skill and mission type. The next of the "hardest" trophies would be obtaining Elder God and defeating all of the Avatars. Obtaining Elder God requires a lot of work in completing Halls of God. Look that up online if you want more information on that. Avatars are bosses that are timed group missions. So the longer you wait to plat this the longer the time will be artificially, out of your control. Boss kills and the class trophies aren't hard at all, just tedious, especially obtaining the classes. Getting the class trophies just require you to do simple tasks that level up the class. No payment needed what so ever. PVP like I said, I can't talk about but those playing it will be very good if anyone is playing it at all. There is scaling but it's terribly unbalanced towards new players and players who are ignorant in PVP knowledge. I know you said that you're okay with all this, but I don't know if you really know what your getting yourself into. Boosting the PVP trophies I believe is possible but you need at least 6 players.

As for server shutdown. They recently released a big expansion for free so I doubt that their servers will be shutdown anytime soon. And even if they do, they'll most likely give you a half-year notice. Plenty of time to Plat and 100%.

If you have any other questions ask away.

• Like 2

I have a lot, but I need play to see for my self. 20 mins per mission, x1000, would be something like 340 hours just in the"Rank S" part. It's really a lot. But the game has 18 classes right now if I'm not wrong. It would be 20 hours per class, you think it would be boring anyway?

You know what is boring? Dissidia NT lvl240 farm for treasure trophy. And I'm doing it non- stop (with the same character over and over).

And we can always play something parallel to it, I'll be playing FF7 remake day one with Skyforge. 

I don't know, I really want to start, but fear to regret later. Anyway, you helped a lot, thanks for your knowledge about the game.

Hi as I mentioned before this game is a grind and probably one of the most grindiest plats available on the PS4 (possibly the PS3 as well). In game currency is attached to everything you do even unlocking and leveling classes (which are required for multiple trophies)  The game even with peak currency grinding would barely net you a new class even after a few weeks of constant play (this is also why alot of people take advantage of premium boosters and I highly recommend on a month you know you can commit time to the game, running a month long booster) also there is a group early unlock for original classes you can find on PSN that goes on sale occassionally. Now even though you can pay for these to boost your time some, it still is possible to do everything grinding over time for one reason alone. Elder God Trophy. This trophy will put you into a long waiting game of grind. You essentially have to kill 6 very high level bosses that show up in Invasions. (Each invasion only features a single race and rotates like a season lasting a few to several weeks.) These invasions as well as other content in the game is also locked behind not just levels but the CP or Combat Power of the hero you use. Meaning it's a grind to get to them then another grind and wait just to best them. Because of the time frame of the rotation it's generally several months to a full year or more of gameplay depending how much you play to unlock all trophies.

This judgement on time I will say is based on me playing PC Version a couple years ago, which already had some QOL. Their may be updates by now to the PS4 version that make some these harder or easier now. Btw too save the free paid currency you get, it can be used to buy premium boosters (which again recommend more then any other cash item) or other boosters.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GardenOfSouls said:

Thanks for the reply. I will probably start it anyway, but will try to play some more in alt account, just to feel the game a little more.

No problem btw too with Premium Boosters their is a small stacking bonus of 3% increased health and damage dealt starting at rank 4 of it upto to a total of 10% from multiple players in the party stacking it. Due to this I really recommend joining one of the many player friendly guilds as it will increase you chances of running with players with this bonus. (It helps in all content especially since even a minimum boost can make some runs change from slightly hard to a cake wake on mob spawns.

Also forgot to mention there is weekly limits on the number credits and other currency types you can recieve per week which will slow the grind down intentionally.

37 minutes ago, GardenOfSouls said:

I see some stuff about it. I'm already looking for some guilds. Open a thred here and in Reddit for this. 

Compared with the ammount of coin you need to unlock new classes, how many weeks it would took to unlock just 1.

When I played back then, a really optimized person could see a new toon maybe every 3-4weeks, 6-8 weeks was the usual average for most if playing casually though. It's a bit hard to lay out exactly though as I said this game runs by its in-game currency and if your a free players you'll be using those credits for so much more besides just saving them. It's all about learning how to best manage and plan out your weekly credit earnings. The only good thing I will say to this though is that optimal runs will see you maxing out that credit limit in usually 2 (if only playing for several hours each day) giving ample free time for the rest of the week to proceed further in other areas of the game in grinding or do something else.

44 minutes ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

When I played back then, a really optimized person could see a new toon maybe every 3-4weeks, 6-8 weeks was the usual average for most if playing casually though

You mentioned you played a long time ago on the PC. How long ago was this? Because classes are no longer unlocked with 1 million gold. They use a new crystal based currency, which made the process longer. Though all of his other information is up to date and correct.

3 hours ago, BestUsername---- said:

You mentioned you played a long time ago on the PC. How long ago was this? Because classes are no longer unlocked with 1 million gold. They use a new crystal based currency, which made the process longer. Though all of his other information is up to date and correct.

When I played at the time it cost 3,000,000 credits for a class unlock. Why it took most casual players several weeks on aversge or about every two months.

Guys, after a lot ot talk here and in others foruns, reads and stuff, I decided not to start Skyforge by the time.

I will start Tera istead that is 1/100 hours to complete compared to Skyforge and will see how I feel after.

I'll start Skyforge probably anyway in near future. Hope the game heal itself from the "bad reputation" it has been having.

Thanks again for your time!

• Like 3

On 16/01/2020 at 8:57 AM, GardenOfSouls said:

Guys, after a lot ot talk here and in others foruns, reads and stuff, I decided not to start Skyforge by the time.

I will start Tera istead that is 1/100 hours to complete compared to Skyforge and will see how I feel after.

I'll start Skyforge probably anyway in near future. Hope the game heal itself from the "bad reputation" it has been having.

Thanks again for your time!

Yeah Tera is a better choice it's also a more easily accessible action MMORPG too, if you feel like tackling another MMO though after it I would suggest FFxiv it's paid to play MMORPG but also has very easy plat list as well.

27 minutes ago, GardenOfSouls said:

I already complete Warframe and FF14. I want to start Skyforge because its really long to complete. Tera is 2 weeks long, but Will do for the time. Maybe they release some patch that call people back to the game, and make it more confortable to play.

Great job on completing Warframe i know a few people that have tried for it and given up due to some difficulty in certain missions.

I need to go through my PS4 MMO list again some day and complete a bunch but I've started and completed almost all these games on pc first so the will to complete them again is not there ?

(Though Black Desert may be the first though in that regard, since I own xbox, pc, PS4 and now recently stared mobile too)

I really don't see how it's going to help tremendously... if you pay.

If you want you can just farm 1 mission that takes 2min for an S rank, that mission also has a boss so those 1000 boss kills will come right away.

one's again ELDER GOD IS A JOKE! you can get all 6 avatars trophies in ONE DAY from the training avatar, IT DOES NOT REQUIRE a lot of work.

Edited by Yuichiro-Akuhei
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, GardenOfSouls said:

I already complete Warframe and FF14. I want to start Skyforge because its really long to complete. Tera is 2 weeks long, but Will do for the time. Maybe they release some patch that call people back to the game, and make it more confortable to play.

This game has had a bad reputation for YEARS. 2 weeks isn't going to change that.

2 hours ago, Yuichiro-Akuhei said:

I already told you this in a PM but here we go again, the game has 6 invasions (all the different avatars) an invasion takes 8 weeks, so to cycle through all the invasion bosses en distortions missions it will take 48 weeks total. ( 6 X 8 = 48 ) 

But you don't need to play everyday, right? Just when it spaws a new Avatar.

1 hour ago, Astellarn said:

This game has had a bad reputation for YEARS. 2 weeks isn't going to change that.

I know, I mean playing Tera just to take the MMO role, but wait at least a few months. Last people that plat Skyforge was months ago.

3 minutes ago, Yuichiro-Akuhei said:

The reason for that the main list has only 3 avatar bosses and 3 distortion bosses, the other ones are in DLC 1 now the last 24 weeks was only for DLC 1, the next 24 weeks are for the main list (platinum)

How far are you to plat? Did you ever put any money on it? The game is doable if you never pay anything and just wait for the Avatars to change?