How To Fix Unobtainable Platinums?

TheBlaskar

I just had an idea and wondered if anybody else has either thought of or pitched this in the past, and whether something would ever come of it.

To be specific, let's talk about Killzone 2 in which the Platinum is unobtainable to do multiplayer servers shutting down, and multiplayer trophies rendered impossible to achieve. The game's set trophy list requires the multiplayer trophies to be complete in order for the platinum to pop but what if at the time of server closures, the multiplayer trophies were moved to a "DLC"-like add-on trophy list and were no longer required for the plat itself? The trophies would still be present albeit unobtainable, and the plat would be obtainable regardless. That way, achievers of the multiplayer trophies would still have their bragging rights and ultra rare trophies, the game would still be popular amongst trophy hunters, and everybody would win. Instead, I'm looking at my incomplete games and realizing that a lot of these will be left forever incomplete due to multiplayer servers

It's too much plus would be too hard to regulate honestly, there's been times also too where trophies that were bugged, glitched or unobtainable suddenly pop months after with no clear fix or issue why.

There's also the fact in cases like Killzone 2 the game was out already for x amount of years before going down, should we really bastardize a list for people who got it legitimately before? No I don't think so myself. If anything in situations like this we should be asking for Sony to allow us the option of deleting games from our trophy lists no matter what percentile it's at. (Though this probably hasn't been done yet either as it may screw up things too.)

• Like 3

If you put all MP based trophies in a 2nd list like dlc. I mean that cool. BUT you'll still have a incomplete game on your list. Most companies see trophies as ex BS. Which makes no sense as there are some who will buy your game for them. So you'd get sales. I dont know why there isn't like a trophy master team at Sony that works with those who works with devs

• Like 2

And how exactly are you gonna make Sony implement these changes to trophylists? Sony cares about $ and there's no $ to gain on this. Just extra work.

Unless Sony changes trophylists it doesn't matter if you start KZ2 from scratch today and unlock all single-player trophies. You won't unlock the plat anyway if Sony doesn't remove multi-player trophies first.

Or do you want PSNProfiles to somehow manually give you a plat for completing half a game?

• Like 2

Just give us ability to,delete any trophy lists and there’s the issue solved ?. Or if this,server thing for any game that is supposedly being worked on ever comes to fruition, then you could do that and plat it but i’ll Wait to see if that ever happens, be cool if does get done

• Like 3

What you are saying wouldn't fix anything. You would still have an incomplete game platinumed or not and it feels like messing around with the lists unnecessary.

The best case scenario would be SONY or the developers themselves change the requirerments to something else or even make it autopop when you start the game (which is more realistic to happen since theoretically it's easier and more likely they just do that than change every single online trophy). Either way, unless sony gets serious with this, it would be up to the developers and you know it's not even remotely possible that ALL developers would do this. Also, if anything, this would be for newer games, perhaps they do go and fix some requirerments for ps3 trophies but it's unlikely, specially for more obscure titles (although I got a feeling that someone like Activision wouldn't fix their incredibly popular games either, bunch of greedy bastards btw, not related but there's that).

• Like 1

And what about allowing the gaming community to setup their own servers once the game developpers have shut theirs down?

It wouldn't loose the company any money as the Online would already be dead anyways and it would allow the games to live on even though they are not profitable for the producer anymore.

Of course, that would require people to have the necessary infrastructure and everything but I'm fairly certain that the community has the ressources to do something like this.

• Like 4

In my opinion, it's all about amount of players who care and developer support. I've heard of so many success stories where enough people spoke up and the developer would fix unobtainable, locked out or bugged trophies. I think the bragging rights comes from the date the trophy was unlocked and difficulty level. If they put a note on a trophy stating it was modified, that would be fine with me too. There are a lot of developers who actively support trophy updates even on old games. If the servers shutdown for a game or the company went defunct, there is nothing else you can do really. With that being said, it would be nice to have Sony Playstation support trophies more even after a developer has long ended support for the game. My favorite type of trophies are the "or" ones. They can update online trophies to still state the multiplayer challenge, but add an offline "or" alternative to unlocking the trophy. For example, defeat 25 opponents in online multiplayer or offline multiplayer. 

Best practical solution = for upcoming games, put the MP mode in the DLC. There are a few games who did this before...

If you want this to be the true future, you have to send an e-mail every day to all devs. You can also push sony to make the trophy system great again, with this as one of it's points. :)

But for older games, there is no such future. Sony or the devs would change all of there old games trophy list, for multiple reasons.

A custom made system by PSNprofiles is also not a good idea, in case of tampering to own values.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 9:01 PM, BCarsonElite said:

I just had an idea and wondered if anybody else has either thought of or pitched this in the past, and whether something would ever come of it.

To be specific, let's talk about Killzone 2 in which the Platinum is unobtainable to do multiplayer servers shutting down, and multiplayer trophies rendered impossible to achieve. The game's set trophy list requires the multiplayer trophies to be complete in order for the platinum to pop but what if at the time of server closures, the multiplayer trophies were moved to a "DLC"-like add-on trophy list and were no longer required for the plat itself? The trophies would still be present albeit unobtainable, and the plat would be obtainable regardless. That way, achievers of the multiplayer trophies would still have their bragging rights and ultra rare trophies, the game would still be popular amongst trophy hunters, and everybody would win. Instead, I'm looking at my incomplete games and realizing that a lot of these will be left forever incomplete due to multiplayer servers

i mean you have like 5 plus years to finish games from the time they come out until the servers shut down.  I'd say if your serious about trophies hunting you might need to create a better since of urgency with getting these games done in time.  you should finish shadow fall before you find yourself in the same boat.

Edited by steel6burgh

If you get them you get them. If you don’t, you don’t. 

I have three unobtainable games, all on the PS3. Technically I can still get the Run Like the Wind trophy from GTA V on the PS3. But with modders and hackers, it’s just not worth it. 

Life is too short to stress out on every single online trophy that will eventually be unobtainable. 

As long as I stay around 95 - 98 percent completion on my trophy hunting account,  I’ll be happy and my perfectionist/completionist needs are satisfied. I don’t see the point in going any further than that.

Just keep track of what online games you have left, and what online trophies are still obtainable. If you can’t get them either because it’s too late or you don’t feel like doing them, that’s fine too. We can’t have everything. 

The issue is that outside of contacting the devs, you really can't.  This isn't like Steam where players can potentially make a mod that fixes broken stuff, which is one drawback of playing on consoles.  This is exactly why many players opt to not buy games that have MP required trophies.  Now that being said, PSN Profiles could potentially mark unobtainables as such.  There are multiple sites like this for Steam that do indeed do that and count the game as completed if the player has all but the unobtainables.  Some of those sites even still give points to players who were able to unlock it before it became unobtainable.  Obviously if PSNP decided to implement such a feature you won't be able to complete it on PSN, but on PSNP it would make it possible for everyone to have a 100% profile.  However, PSNP also isn't a points based leaderboard sort of site like the ones that do this and those sites do that because completing a game has some benefit that can give an edge towards higher ranks on leaderboards.  PSNP isn't like that since the only benefit that completion gives in the actual leaderboards is that plats are a tie breaker if two players have the same amount of trophy XP.  To be honest, PSNP probably won't ever add such a thing because it mostly provides more stats about our profiles and a community.