Never played a souls game. Should i start?

Hvalpen

I have been interested in the souls series(Including Bloodborne and Sekiro) for a while. I discovered i have Bloodborne in my library and thought i might give it a whirl. I consider myself fairly skilled at games, but with no experience with these kinda games how hard will my ass get kicked? And is the platinum realistic for me?

• Like 2

The games really aren't that hard, it you get stuck you can always have a co-op buddy (besides Sekiro). All it takes is being patient and attacking when there's an opening and not rushing, not a lot more to the games honestly. I would always suggest Code Vein as a good start to Souls-Like games since its the most easiest one but since you already have Bloodborne then go for it! 

There's so many guides and information that's its kinda hard to not know where to go or even how not to have a good build, just enjoy the games and there's a lot of games in the Souls-like category if you want to branch out as well. 

Of course, play it! Don't doubt even a little bit. I never played a souls game myself before I started Bloodborne. This game has an amazing dark atmosphere, the boss fights are awesome, and some mobs are even tougher than the bosses, LMAO. There's a big variety of weapons + The Old Hunters DLC is insane. This game just doesn't let you go. Even if you die 50 times in a row, you still wanna go.

• Like 1

Bloodborne compared to Dark Souls is more forgiving I think. You also don't have to worry too much about your stats and all that in terms of what gear you want to wear. But yeah, just be prepared to die often with deaths that are mostly fair however you will probably fall off a cliff once in a while which sucks but it happens. I think the biggest curve of Bloodborne is at the beginning when there's a big group of enemies you have to get past which is kind of hard to do at the very beginning with the gear you start out with. But once you get past the first couple of bosses it starts to feel a lot more manageable. You will surely die once or twice to some bosses but I can't think of anything that was really out there.

If you have The Old Hunters DLC make sure you do it before beating the game because it's much harder on NG+ and even on a first playthrough it gets pretty wild at certain points. If you find yourself really struggling then you could always try to summon someone for co-op and be sure to join others' games if you can. I'm not sure how active the game is now but considering how much of a fanbase the game has I'm sure there are still veterans and new players roaming around. Doing co-op on a level you've done with a new player is a really rewarding experience when you point out all the shortcuts and things like that for them. Just be sure to use gestures to signal them so they get the hint that you're trying to show them something.

Bloodborne was my first FromSoftware game, and while I died a lot in the beginning, getting used to the mechanics had me beating most of the later bosses on first try.

I consider myself to be an average gamer, but I completed 1st run around 50+hrs totally solo.

As others have mentioned, it's a great game. While there might be some trial and error the more you progress, combat/exploration is pretty fun and it feels awesome to finish enemies.

Edited by Bittersweet

I've played them all except for Bloodborne and Sekiro and my biggest tip is don't get put off by the difficulty early game. That is usually the hardest part. I feel like all of these games and including Nioh get easier after the first few levels and not just because you get better but in the early game you just don't have the tools to easily deal with tough encounters. I'm starting Bloodborne myself in a few minutes. I played about an hour of it back in the day but put it down for something else but it's time to dive back in and finish it.

• Like 1

It was my very first platinum trophy, and I earned every trophy because I was obsessed with how good and fun the game was, not because I was in any way a trophy hunter back then. 

It's popular for a reason. It also has that whole "hard From Software game" notoriety that is hype for some, and utterly terrifying for others. 

Don't expect to hack and slash your way to victory, just take your time and be cautious. Visit r/bloodborne or r/huntersbell if you need tips or help.

Long story short: PLAY it!

Edited by falconkicks

Bloodborne is an ok game not the be all end all as most might tell you. I think if your able to handle the beginner's traps and so on your fine, just make sure to not use the walking stick as a starting weapon as that is not good for a beginner, go for the axe or cleaver, cleaver is fast and does okish dmg, the axe does okish and both once used to be longer are abit slower but more powerful, use the axe if you feel better at using slower but better rewards for attacks as the spin attack heavy is good for most of all enemies.

Also be ready to learn how to use the gun to put enemies in a stun state plus grinding for healing items/ stuff to use to buy said healing items and bullets.

Hope you enjoy bloodborne but don't do the plat if you feel that the game is too bs as you will hate the chalices mostly the one that halfs your hp.

Edit: Forgot to also say that if you don't like the way the game is try playing with a friend who knows the game it is will help a lot just know you will need a lot of insight, you get it from items and seeing bosses for the first time.

Edited by KANERKB

2 hours ago, Hvalpen said:

I have been interested in the souls series(Including Bloodborne and Sekiro) for a while. I discovered i have Bloodborne in my library and thought i might give it a whirl. I consider myself fairly skilled at games, but with no experience with these kinda games how hard will my ass get kicked? And is the platinum realistic for me?

These are the greatest games ever made.

If you need any advice or help message me here on PSNP or on PSN

PSN id: Chocolat_Giddyup

I plat every Soulsborne/Sekiro game.

Of course you will die and make mistakes if you are new to the series, but if you persist you will overcome.

Then you will reach a point were you see the games as never really difficult in the first place.

Edited by Typical PSNPee User
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

Its only like the greatest game this gen

play it

youre gona die, alot

but its such a good game who cares

enjoy the journey

12 minutes ago, reiner- said:

Could not have said it better myself.

I definitly agree! My favorite game! Go for it!

• Like 1

As pretty much all of the previous people already mentioned: Go for it! 

Nothing more satisfying than killing bosses in souls borne games, especially when considering the fact how many easy platinums and ratalaika games come out these days.

FYI: I played Sekiro and got the platinum, In the beginning you will die a lot , but every death increases your experience and you will reach a point in the game where you think to yourself: Why didn‘t I start this game earlier?

When I found out that Sekiro was developed by the same developers as the dark souls games /bloodborne I decided to move on to DS1.

Got the plat for that as well, currently I am playing DS2 and won‘t stop until I get the plats for the whole trilogy as well as bloodborne. So go for it and enjoy :)

Doesn't really matter where you start, but the later titles have more smooth movement and a bit more aggressive playstyle.

Unlike Dark Souls, Demon's Souls and Bloodborne is horror fantasy, while Dark Souls is dark fantasy. None of it is all that scary, but I remember Demon's Souls really put me on the edge of my seat the first time I played it. Exploring new creepy areas, knowing the enemies could so easily gang up and kill me. There's no jump scares and attempts at being super scary or anything, no build up, just the general art style, areas and enemies etc being horror. In other words, it's not outright scary games, but more classic horror feel, while Dark Souls is more dark and fantasy.

If you think you'll love it, maybe start with the oldest and get to experience the series as people did from the start. You'll also not feel as if the older games are more clunky etc, as you don't know any better then. :D All the games are great, so eh...

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MMDE said:

If you think you'll love it, maybe start with the oldest and get to experience the series as people did from the start. You'll also not feel as if the older games are more clunky etc, as you don't know any better then. :D All the games are great, so eh...

Agree to disagree, I remember playing clunky ps2 games with Romans fully equipped and felt the same that when I played Demon's souls.

Bloodborne feels definitely better if you go to try this gaming style.

I mean, imo if you appreciate the Souls style after playing Bloodborne you can take the challenge to play a clunky one.

Edited by GoldenShaka

On 1/18/2020 at 4:17 AM, Redgrave said:

Bloodborne compared to Dark Souls is more forgiving I think. You also don't have to worry too much about your stats and all that in terms of what gear you want to wear. But yeah, just be prepared to die often with deaths that are mostly fair however you will probably fall off a cliff once in a while which sucks but it happens. I think the biggest curve of Bloodborne is at the beginning when there's a big group of enemies you have to get past which is kind of hard to do at the very beginning with the gear you start out with. But once you get past the first couple of bosses it starts to feel a lot more manageable. You will surely die once or twice to some bosses but I can't think of anything that was really out there.

If you have The Old Hunters DLC make sure you do it before beating the game because it's much harder on NG+ and even on a first playthrough it gets pretty wild at certain points. If you find yourself really struggling then you could always try to summon someone for co-op and be sure to join others' games if you can. I'm not sure how active the game is now but considering how much of a fanbase the game has I'm sure there are still veterans and new players roaming around. Doing co-op on a level you've done with a new player is a really rewarding experience when you point out all the shortcuts and things like that for them. Just be sure to use gestures to signal them so they get the hint that you're trying to show them something.

Does the DLC annex on to the existing world? As in, if i start Bloodborne now but buy and install the DLC before finishing the game, will the new content pop up in my current save? Kinda like Frozen wilds does in Horizon zero dawn?

On 1/18/2020 at 9:50 AM, MMDE said:

Exploring new creepy areas, knowing the enemies could so easily gang up and kill me.

This is the major point to take into consideration with these Fromsoft games. The exploration through a world that doesn't hold your hand and will eat you alive if you're not cautious (before learning the levels).

So many people have played these "Solsbern" games using a detailed guide/walkthrough every step of the way, and I really feel like that grossly diminishes the true enjoyment the developer brings to their craft.

42 minutes ago, Hvalpen said:

Does the DLC annex on to the existing world? As in, if i start Bloodborne now but buy and install the DLC before finishing the game, will the new content pop up in my current save? Kinda like Frozen wilds does in Horizon zero dawn?

I'm pretty sure it does since when you do get it, the messenger guys will give you an item called Eye of a Blood-Drunk Hunter in the hub area (Hunter's Dream) after you beat a certain boss early on. But I am pretty sure that they will appear with it if you install the DLC later on anyway. When I played it I already had it installed so I got it not long after beating that one boss.

But you may as well just have it downloaded anyway since even if you do access the DLC area you can just return from it and go back to it later on.

48 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

I'm pretty sure it does since when you do get it, the messenger guys will give you an item called Eye of a Blood-Drunk Hunter in the hub area (Hunter's Dream) after you beat a certain boss early on. But I am pretty sure that they will appear with it if you install the DLC later on anyway. When I played it I already had it installed so I got it not long after beating that one boss.

But you may as well just have it downloaded anyway since even if you do access the DLC area you can just return from it and go back to it later on.

Its more that i dont have the funds until february(as pathetic as that sounds), since i blew my remaining "fun money" for January on the McGregor UFC PPV card yesterday

7 minutes ago, Hvalpen said:

Its more that i dont have the funds until february(as pathetic as that sounds), since i blew my remaining "fun money" for January on the McGregor UFC PPV card yesterday

You should be fine either way. As long as you don't beat the game (you will know when you're close to the end) you should be free to do whatever until you can access the DLC. Even if you got to the end-game part of the game you will still have to do the Chalice Dungeons which can take some time depending on how long the bosses there take.

• 3 weeks later...