How is the game?

ZankaiPowaa

It's awesome, honestly, it's kind of the DBZ game I always wanted (since I'm not a big fighting fan). I purposely don't use healing items to make battles more intense and so the bosses are legit tense and difficult. It's great to see all these scenes recreated from 90s animations to 2020 gaming graphics - I'm just smiling the whole time I'm playing this game.

For context, I'm just starting the chapter to head to Namek.

• Like 2

Honestly, in my opinion, it's in my top 3 DBZ games of all time with Budokai 3 on top followed by Kakarot and then Fighterz. But this game is something else. I'd give it a solid 9.5/10. It's an amazing game and with the element of rpg, it takes a different approach to this franchise. It certainly works well and I love that you don't need to watch the anime to understand what DBZ is. By playing this game, you understand the story as it's pretty damn accurate. The graphics are amazing and the gameplay is fairly easy with minimum effort, you can complete the game pretty easily. Overall, I love the game and it's a must buy for all DBZ lovers :)

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, DanThePsycho said:

Really fun and I like it so far, only thing truly tedious is that the random enemies respawn entirely too quickly and if you want to take your time and explore they make it a major pain...  At least they're easy enough to defeat.

I think they might stop showing up if you destroy the enemy bases. I could be wrong though.

I'm halfway through the Buu saga and honestly this is the game I've been wanting all these years. It's like if legacy of goku had a baby with xenoverse. My save is currently at 45 hours and I'm still completely invested. I think any DBZ fan will love this one, the story is so involved that it feels like you're watching the show at some times and there's a lot of great context added to the main story (+ easter eggs) through a large amount of side quests. The only complaint I'd have is that the fighting can get a little stale later in the game (especially random encounters) but I think some of that is just me because it's very similar combat to xenoverse which i played a lot of and I am doing literally every last thing possible in the game.

• Like 4

For me, the game is about a 7/10. I'm having a ton of fun with it, but it is far from a perfect game. I've just finished up the Frieza saga.

Some Pros:

• The retelling of the DBZ story is great, especially if you are a bit fuzzy on the smaller details! Great to revisit the show.
  • The game is fairly easy, especially if you do side quests. While some might see this as a con, I think it's a pro if you're just looking for a relaxing game to enjoy without any stress.
  • The trophies are all really straightforward, and there doesn't seem to be anything really missable. Great if you're a trophy hunter that wants to play something with no collectable/missable guide next to them, or two play throughs.
  • Fun to get some freedom to explore the map. 

Some Cons:

• The fact that you can't go two seconds exploring the map without bumping into a random encounter with the same 3 robots/minions.
  • How Gohan says "I think I can handle this" every time he goes near a group of enemies (aka every 10 sec) - makes you want to blow your brains out.
  • The combat gets a bit boring after a while. It's not particularly challenging especially if you level since you have infinite potions, and the enemies have x5 health bars that take a while to drain. The forced robot/minion encounters make it feel more repetitive.
  • Some of the side quests can get a bit dull as well. Either fetch something or fight something/someone.

Overall I think it is fun for one play through, and a relaxing platinum to get, but not a game I would ever play a second time.

• Like 3

I’m only at Frieza saga so far, but I genuinely enjoy this game. It’s not the best DBZ game and it does have flaws so far, but I think you will enjoy this game more as a DBZ fan. Revisiting the sagas again was nostalgic. You could argue that it’s just the same story again, being reused and such but I actually liked the dialogue with a bit of change up from the original and small details in the story being explored more. 
The game get’s better the more I play though.

Edited by Don_carlito94

I, too, was on the fence about purchasing this game.  What sold it for me were the renders/colors (stupid, I know) and the fact that it was being marketed as an RPG.

Even though it is the 5,000th retelling of the Dragonball Z story in a video game (which is why I was on the fence), I feel immersed in this particular game because I am able to move around the Dragonball Z universe rather than just watching a cutscene and being thrown into a fight like most of the previous games.  There are also little details from the show that are thrown into the cutscenes, which also helps that immersion.  The actual game play and the cutscenes blend together nicely, too.  There's nothing more satisfying than punching Vegeta in the jaw as Goku and, mid-fight, having the game hone in on the moment.

Like other people mentioned there are some flaws with the game.

• The random encounters have grown to be quite irritating and it makes exploring the land a chore rather than something that should be fun.
  • Anytime a Z fighter is flying near a random encounter they feel the need to speak and when playing as Gohan I have got to the point of wanting to scrape my head against a cheese grater.
  • The English VAs didn't sound as passionate as the Japanese VAs.  That being said, I am playing the game in Japanese and sometimes the subtitles are hard to read.
  • I have encountered some glitches where I would Surprise Attack a random encounter and one of the enemies in the group that was attacked would either get glitched into an unbreakable mountain or stuck on the ground.

As a side note I hope to see in the future other anime titles, such as Fullmetal Alchemist or Naruto, adapted into RPGs like this one.

• Like 1

It's magnificent. The presentation itself is mostly outstanding and probably the best part of the game, and i'm not just talking about the story but things like the voice performance, animations, U.I/menus, scale in all levels of battles, attention to detail in various areas like combat, dialogue, environment, etc, and more. Not sure if I can call it the absolute best Dragon Ball (Z) game—I haven't completed it; i'm only on the Android Saga—but it's evidently up there and probably offers the best Dragon Ball/Z experience in video game form, based on what I've seen so far. For a brand new IP, this is impressive stuff. Can't even imagine the potential of sequels. 

This game essentially completes the main range of genres the Dragon Ball series fits best and has needed, mostly on console, with this quality. Dragon Ball Xenoverse series is incredible for being a large arena-styled RPG/Fighter hybrid with great cooperative gameplay and having an unique spin on the Dragon Ball Z-Super storyline, all with your own original character that you can create. Dragon Ball FighterZ is great for providing a truly competitive 2D-esque Dragon Ball fighting game—especially with online play to cover both the offline and online scenes—something that even the beloved Budokai series didn't actually manage to offer. Then there's Dragon Ball Z: Kararot, which retells the Dragon Ball Z storyline (in probably the best way yet) through an entirely single player focused, fully 3D ARPG experience... something that hasn't really been done before.

The gameplay is actually great, not really stale as some people have described. Combat actually has quite a lot going on when you factor team members/team assist and some cool combos you can do with them (seamlessly!), z-combos, surge, super finishes (which caught me completely off guard when I first did it), etc. Two particular features manage to actually add a nice extra layer of depth to the gameplay: Surge adds attack cancellation, extended combo potential, and some auto teleportation before attack sequences, while Guard Break adds auto teleportation for every attack, cutscene presentation for every move used, and those iconic knock-back into environment scenes that the series is known for.

The RPG mechanics range across subpar, decent, and good (or higher), it's not universally "terrible". It far exceeds the well known Legacy of Goku series and its RPG mechanics, at the very least.

As for random encounters, I can't concur with with the negatives that have been said... because you can easily outspeed enemies while flying; they disappear a few seconds into their pursuit of you while you're flying away; in most cases when they fail to catch you they teleport back to their original position; and in most cases when you're doing anything other than main story missions you can actually annihilate them before the battle phrase starts by measly flying through them. (Yes, the game has surprise attacks and instant victories for enemy encounters.) There's also sound cues and a detection system that helps avoid them if you're not just mindlessly exploring areas (mainly via flying) without observing your surroundings. In addition, flying at high speed makes you more susceptible to detection, because you can't sense the line of sight of enemies and are enclosing a lot of space per sec. Can't really be mad that enemies detect you when you're consistently flying at the highest speed possible around them while exploring incautiously, especially if you haven't destroyed the building structures around them that explicitly affect their presence.

The enemy variety in regular encounters is also much higher than "just 3 types of robots"; there's Frieza's soldiers group and the Saibamen group that will chase you around as well. The game only increases the variety of enemies the further you get into the story..

Generally, in actuality there's an immense variety with the overall gameplay system outside the core systems, and there all executed well enough (especially in a  Dragon Ball game), fun, and too engaging overall for me to rate it anything lower than a 7/10.

Obviously the game is going to have some flaws, but it's definitely a fantastic base for a series to be built upon. As it's the first entry of a brand new IP, some shortcomings were expected; it was never plausible for this to be some top tier RPG, much like Horizon Zero Dawn. Overall, though, this game mostly delivers on the true "Dragon Ball series" experience—not focusing on just the story presentation and combat like the Budokai, Budokai Tenkaichi, and other series—and is fantastic overall. Sequels are where I see the RPG mechanics being redefined to satisfy the hardcore RPG fans.

Note: Something a lot of people don't know; the game intentionally follows the manga moreso than the anime, which is why certain iconic anime scenes are not seen. 

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

Note: Something a lot of people don't know; the game intentionally follows the manga moreso than the anime, which is why certain iconic anime scenes are not seen. 

That's why "It's OVER 9000!!!!" is not in it D=? I was so sad when that didn't happen.

Some pf the abridged scenes look kinda silly, too. Like when Gohan transforms into an ape against Vegeta. He doesn't get to do shit, lol.

I'm so hyped to keep playing, though. Frieza's fight and finally getting the SSJ transformation is gonna be awesome =D.

Btw, can you Super Finiash regular enemies or is it only available for boss fights?

On 1/22/2020 at 11:52 AM, AndresLionheart said:

That's why "It's OVER 9000!!!!" is not in it D=? I was so sad when that didn't happen.

Some pf the abridged scenes look kinda silly, too. Like when Gohan transforms into an ape against Vegeta. He doesn't get to do shit, lol.

I'm so hyped to keep playing, though. Frieza's fight and finally getting the SSJ transformation is gonna be awesome =D.

Btw, can you Super Finiash regular enemies or is it only available for boss fights?

Probably. If it was in, it'd likely be "It's over 8000", though, like (in the manga and) Dragon Ball Kai had corrected from (the many mistakes) dubbed Dragon Ball Z (made). That said, the "power level of 5000" is in this game, though.

Yeah, the game actually gets better immediately after the Frieza arc. Without saying much, you eventually get to Dragon Ball Hunt, gather Senzu Beans, take part in Frenzys, and more. The fight with Frieza is cool.

Any group of enemies. I did it against a Saibamen in a random encounter (blue aura), and i'm not talking about the "Villainous Enemies" or "Super Villainous Enemies" group, both of which are a group of enemies with the red aura that are much higher in level and difficult to beat when not around their level. Just to clarify. ?

Edited by EcoShifter

8 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

Any group of enemies. I did it against a Saibamen in a random encounter (blue aura), and i'm not talking about the "Villainous Enemies" or "Super Villainous Enemies" group, both of which are a group of enemies with the red aura that are much higher in level and difficult to beat when not around their level. Just to clarify. 1f642.png

I did mine against Future Trunks while playing as Goku (that sparring match they have after Mecha Frieza).  It sort of breaks cannon in a way, finishing off an ally like that in such a way, you'd think they'd be dead after that xD

Also, beam clashes, they are in the game, I did one super early on with Gohan against Vegeta... I did it by accident, but I am glad they're in the game.  You even get a little cutscene (like 2 or 3 seconds) of the enemy being enveloped in your beam if you win the clash.

But one thing I'm not a fan of other than what others have bought up (so many groups of enemies that get in your way... I just want to grab that Dragon ball damnit! xD ), is the loading between areas.  And when trying to look at the relationship chart in the encyclopedia, that section lags just a bit when flicking the page.

But all in all, I'm still enjoying the game as is.  And even though I already have the 400 entries in the encyclopedia... I want all the entries.  I wish there was a trophy for getting all the entries, and well, just to do everything in the game, not just a set amount.  As in, get all the super attacks for all characters, all entries, do all the side quests, etc, etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

But all in all, I'm still enjoying the game as is.  And even though I already have the 400 entries in the encyclopedia... I want all the entries.  I wish there was a trophy for getting all the entries, and well, just to do everything in the game, not just a set amount.  As in, get all the super attacks for all characters, all entries, do all the side quests, etc, etc.

Same. The trophies are a bit too lenient. I would like to have a reason to get everything. You only need like 40-50% =/. About 90%+ would be much better.

To me the most annoying thing is when bosses go into the red aura attack every 3 seconds... you cannot fucking fight in peace. It's especially annoying when you are about to break them and they go into one of those more cinematic attacks, which gives them enough time to recover all their stun gauge -.-

Having Krillin around has never been as good, though. Taioken helps a lot with the interrupting.

6 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

Same. The trophies are a bit too lenient. I would like to have a reason to get everything. You only need like 40-50% =/. About 90%+ would be much better.

To me the most annoying thing is when bosses go into the red aura attack every 3 seconds... you cannot fucking fight in peace. It's especially annoying when you are about to break them and they go into one of those more cinematic attacks, which gives them enough time to recover all their stun gauge -.-

Having Krillin around has never been as good, though. Taioken helps a lot with the interrupting.

Yeah, at least getting a trophy for fully completing the encyclopedia would have been nice.

Oh yeah, those super attacks, those are... alright, but what annoys me about those from bosses is that they can cancel out your own super attack.  As in, you're about to fire one off, or you have, they do theirs, and yours is just canceled out.  But it's only a small complaint really.

I mean, still been enjoying the game for the most part, just the small complaints here and there.

Actual amount of content in the game wouldn't really justify doing something like all entries or all upgrades on every character/vehicle etc. Would be like Wolfenstein Youngblood where you finish everything worthwhile then spend the same amount of time or more after arbitrarily grinding just because, and it just turns into "what is the fastest way I can get X done just to earn the trophy and stop playing". Combat is alright but not varied enough or have high enough of a skill ceiling to carry it that long. 

• Like 2

i like parts and dislike parts. side quests znd rpg elements are not really anything. even in cell saga a side quest consists of going to point a and point b. quest takes 1 min. and super quick xp. 

random battles give f all for xp. better off just rushing story. 

easy to plat it seems as the only thing that may cause me some issue is training room level 10.

Mira i dont think will be hard. But i want to be level 90 before i fight him.

overall tho its quite repetitive. 6 out of 10.