How is the game?

ZankaiPowaa

2 hours ago, JaneAusten69 said:

I've never watched DBZ, but this game looks cool.  Would you recommend it for a noob like me or is this mostly fan service?

I knew of a few elements of DBZ but had never watched the anime before this game and I'm enjoying it for the most part. It does feel heavily weighted towards story over gameplay though. Feel like I'm in a cutscene most of the time I'm playing since there's little to do of interest outside the side and main quests. I also agree with most the of the other complaints in this thread. 

I'm definitely glad you don't have to fully complete the encyclopedia or the emblems because that would lead to missable trophies which nobody likes. 

Edited by Killbomb
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JaneAusten69 said:

I've never watched DBZ, but this game looks cool.  Would you recommend it for a noob like me or is this mostly fan service?

I do think this is mostly an ode to longtime fans of Dragon Ball but it does it well so new fans can enjoy the story and old fans too. I'm not sure if I'd recommend it to someone who hasn't watched the series or played other Dragon Ball games as the gameplay can get pretty repetitive which I personally think is common with the DB games (which isn't necessarily a bad thing as I've always enjoyed them).

I think for a starting point if you really like the look of the gameplay and the story interests you then this really is the best place to start other than actually watching DBZ. I'm pretty sure this game adds to certain plot points as well but I could be wrong, my memory is awful but I swear some scenes or things mentioned weren't in DBZ or DBZ Kai but it has been a long time since I've watched them.

Edit: It seems @EcoShifter already mentioned how it follows the manga in an earlier post, now i see why I didn't recognise certain parts lmao, my bad.

"Note: Something a lot of people don't know; the game intentionally follows the manga moreso than the anime, which is why certain iconic anime scenes are not seen."

Edited by RehTehTeh
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 11:01 AM, EcoShifter said:

As for random encounters, I can't concur with with the negatives that have been said... Can't really be mad that enemies detect you when you're consistently flying at the highest speed possible around them while exploring incautiously, especially if you haven't destroyed the building structures around them that affect their presence.

Part of my issue with the random encounters is when I'm exploring I'm usually flying (not at full speed) and looking down at the ground "searching for Ki".  Or, I'll be running on the ground to gather up animals or the like.  It's just a disruption to me, is all. 

On 1/22/2020 at 9:21 PM, DrakeHellsing said:

(so many groups of enemies that get in your way... I just want to grab that Dragon ball damnit! xD )

Oh yes... and this, too.  Had a helluva time last night trying to get just one Dragon ball.

On 24.1.2020 at 1:17 AM, JaneAusten69 said:

The game is full of fan service. I think without ever being a DBZ fan maybe wait for a price drop. Game is decent but overall maybe a 6-7/10. Still for me a very enjoyable game so far 50% in. I've watched DB and DBZ though.

• Like 1

One thing I'll say is that physical combat is a bit repetitive as a solo member, which is primarily because of the moderate or so combo potential when not being in surge mode, but I stand by what I said when playing with party members. Outside that, the actual overall combat is still very solid. A sequel can obviously improve on this, but what's in this game isn't "bad".

On 1/23/2020 at 7:22 AM, AndresLionheart said:

To me the most annoying thing is when bosses go into the red aura attack every 3 seconds... you cannot fucking fight in peace. 

It's dependent on the boss you're fighting. You can negate the "red aura" attacks with a manually triggered burst counter. You can also completely block their attack, if dodging is too difficult, and proceed to fight in other ways you desire. There's several ways to deal with it, especially when you're not fighting big crowds or enemies that use it too often. 

On 1/23/2020 at 7:17 PM, JaneAusten69 said:

Completely, yes. While it's not as easy as some people have said—there's literally a few separate group of combative modes in the game that are definitely difficult (fights you can enter that will literally have you dead in a matter of a few hits, if not extremely aggressive enemies, especially those that truly work as a team.. with their own team assist even); it's just the side quest and story missions that aren't too difficult—it's welcoming for people just like you. The game is really interesting, because it manages to cater to both fans and newcomers. It's not like Raging Blast 2 or FighterZ, where they primarily focus on the fighting gameplay and hardly inform you about and make you feel a part of the DB world.

With the difficulty not being too hard for main and sub stories, I can easily recommend this game to you, on top of the game's overall presentation. The game being an RPG really allows the game to flesh out its storyline in numerous ways a regular DB fighting game couldn't. The game is perfect for "noobs", but don't expect to get through the game by playing with say one hand or pressing just one button or something.

On 1/23/2020 at 9:36 PM, Killbomb said:

I knew of a few elements of DBZ but had never watched the anime before this game and I'm enjoying it for the most part. It does feel heavily weighted towards story over gameplay though. Feel like I'm in a cutscene most of the time I'm playing since there's little to do of interest outside the side and main quests.

That's how RPGs are. As for gameplay, there is A LOT to do in this game. To say the least, getting the recipes, filling out the encyclopedia, and unlocking the different levels of training in CC is pretty interesting. Gameplay is definitely superior to story.

On 1/24/2020 at 9:17 AM, MooseSketts said:

Part of my issue with the random encounters is when I'm exploring I'm usually flying (not at full speed) and looking down at the ground "searching for Ki".  Or, I'll be running on the ground to gather up animals or the like.  It's just a disruption to me, is all. 

Enemies have a range of sight in this game. When you use your sense ability, you can see an arrow of the direction they're looking, from a good distance as well. In all seriousness, the window for detection is fairly generous, especially while walking/running on ground. If you avoid their line of sight, you'll be fine. Additionally, the bases (UFO ship, Tower, etc) existence increases the presence of enemies, so if you want to deal with less of them then you'll need to take them out. Moreover, if you're strong enough (which you will be at times), any collision whatsoever into the enemies from an angle at all will completely destroy them... So if you're exploring via high speed flying, flicking the analog stick around will diminish them.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

Enjoying the game, I'm over 20 hours in and only just now made it to Namek...so I'm doing every little thing I possibly can. The story I know like the back of my hand, I'm a super fan of Dragon Ball...I'm around it every day and I've seen the show more times then anyone my age should, so it's not like something I watched years ago and forgot about, it's always fresh in my mind...so I'm more interested in seeing how they animate the more iconic scenes with 4K visuals, than I am seeing the story play out since nothing is going to be a surprise to me. Some of them are honestly better looking than the anime itself...like that moment when Piccolo jumps in front of Gohan to take Nappa's attack...absolutely gorgeous animation. 

The only thing I outright DO NOT like...are the flying mechanics. They're horrible...they feel like something out of the PS2 era where your movement is stuck to an X and Y axis and they barely move independent of one another. Having to use R1 and R2 to Ascend and Descend is terrible, it doesn't feel natural at all. All they needed to do was have us press something to initiate flight then use Left and Right Stick to control our movement...it would be far more fluent. 

Overall, the game is pretty much what I said it was in that other thread from a few months back...this is a foundation game similar to Budokai 1, Tenkaichi 1, Raging Blast 1 and Xenoverse 1...something they learn from to make a better sequel with. Kakarot 2 is probably going to be one hell of a game!

On 25/1/2020 at 5:48 PM, EcoShifter said:

It's dependent on the boss you're fighting. You can negate the "red aura" attacks with a manually triggered burst counter. You can also completely block their attack, if dodging is too difficult, and proceed to fight in other ways you desire. There's several ways to deal with it, especially when you're not fighting big crowds or enemies that use it too often. 

Your whole post sound a bit condescending, btw.

Don't get me wrong, I know how to play. I say this because if the enemy is a bit stronger than average you cannot interrupt them by just punching them.

The worst case of this was my fight with Vegeta against Dodoria. He would just spam these attacks and Vegeta was too weak to interrupt them. So I would end up blocking or dodging, landing like 3 punches and then he would start charging another one of his attacks in the middle of my combo. This fight dragged on way too much because of this. It was even more annoying with Dodoria because he likes doing that headbutt charge attack, so if I dodge it he ends up kinda far away.

Since that fight it hasn't been as bad. It may have been that Vegeta was too weak. I don't remember Dodoria's level.

Just yesterday I got to Cell's fight and it was awesome =) (especially coming from Frieza's fight, which was super lame)

I have the video lying around because I wanted to show it to a friend who is skeptical about how good this game is.

Edited by AndresLionheart
Typos

Dragon Ball Z: Kararot has only been getting better the more I play it. Ended up beating the game today, though, and it goes all out during the end. Unlike Dragon Ball FighterZ, the previous Dragon Ball game I purchased, I most definitely do not regret paying full price for DBZ:K. For the most part it's an amazing ARPG Dragon Ball experience, exceeding any Dragon Ball game previously that to any capacity attempted to create a same type of experience, with more than plenty to do outside the main story. 

This game is going to be on another level if it gets supported anything similar to FighterZ and especially Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, though. Both those games have evolved tremendously after getting supported post launch, especially the latter. 

Also, another patch launched.. It decreased loading times again (very noticeable), among other things. The loading times were never a big issue for their length but for their presence, precisely situations in which the player would often need or want to travel to other sections on the world map. Now, though, the duration during them is essentially non-complain worthy.

I'm absolutely loving the game. I haven't been this hooked to a game for a while. Also you can get a car and listen to Dragonball music while driving it. It's just overall a ton of fun.

Was wondering if someone was going to point out that detail. There's really a lot of details like that all over the game pushes the enjoyment to another level, seriously.

On 1/26/2020 at 9:44 PM, Viper said:

Enjoying the game, I'm over 20 hours in and only just now made it to Namek...so I'm doing every little thing I possibly can. The story I know like the back of my hand, I'm a super fan of Dragon Ball...I'm around it every day and I've seen the show more times then anyone my age should, so it's not like something I watched years ago and forgot about, it's always fresh in my mind...so I'm more interested in seeing how they animate the more iconic scenes with 4K visuals, than I am seeing the story play out since nothing is going to be a surprise to me. Some of them are honestly better looking than the anime itself...like that moment when Piccolo jumps in front of Gohan to take Nappa's attack...absolutely gorgeous animation. 

The game takes far more inspiration from the manga. Fans of and who only know the TV show should not be coming into this game with high expectations and/or an experience replicating what they've seen in the show. As for nothing being new to you, the main story material may'be, but there are brand new character interactions and expanded overall lore throughout the game that no fan whatsoever will know. It's one of the highlights in this game, to me. 

On 1/27/2020 at 7:25 AM, AndresLionheart said:

Your whole post sound a bit condescending, btw. Don't get me wrong, I know how to play. I say this because if the enemy is a bit stronger than average you cannot interrupt them by just punching them.

The worst case of this was my fight with Vegeta against Dodoria. He would just spam these attacks and Vegeta was too weak to interrupt them. So I would end up blocking or dodging, landing like 3 punches and then he would start charging another one of his attacks in the middle of my combo. This fight dragged on way too much because of this. It was even more annoying with Dodoria because he likes doing that headbutt charge attack, so if I dodge it he ends up kinda far away.

Just yesterday I got to Cell's fight and it was awesome =) (especially coming from Frieza's fight, which was super lame)

It's not suppose to be; it's pretty much going to seem that way regardless of how I word it. I don't doubt that you know how to play, but the combat has more flexibility and depth than what I've generally seen listed by some people. Not sure what you mean by "a bit", but enough pressure can actually break them out of it, especially when you break their stun gauge. Pressure consisting of both enough regular attacks and super attacks. Beam attacks are not advised, as their priority is limited (unless you really want to frequently cancel out of it with the burst attack to pretty much compensate for probably unskillful play—not aimed specifically at you, Andres), but that's about all I'll say there to not make this post too long.

That's exactly what I was talking about when I said it depends. The fight with Dodoria is a bit different compared to other bosses, and remember i'm replying to the generalized "red aura attacks" point. As for the "headbutt charge" attack, he only ends up far if your spacing is poor. If you draw out his attack from a range, then dodge it, he'll be closer to you.. enough to punish him with melee attacks even. (Same goes for Frieza, as he has a similar attack.) Blocking is also another option, as it'll stop him dead in his tracks right in front of you. You don't really need to worry about your guard breaking unless you're constantly blocking attacks or attacks made from enemies way stronger than you or attacks from multiple enemies.

The fight with Frieza is good. The scenery (literally fighting on a planet that is about to explode, with effects like hurricanes and lava emitting off in the background as you're fighting, which the other boss fights don't have), the v.performance and dialogue between the two is on point. Frieza also uses like all of his iconic attacks. It's just, perhaps, the gameplay part that isn't as interesting here. Cell is good too but not so much when you're over-leveled. Already seen a few videos on Youtube of people missing out on content because they've over-leveled themselves. Same actually goes for the non-combative content as well when they're rushing through the main story, but that's nothing new.

Edited by EcoShifter