This was a fantastic game. Really underrated series.

I agree, although if anyone wants to try this series now, wait for the Prelude of the Fallen that is the remake of the first game (launched in 2002). The new duology is way more enjoyable if you understand what happened in the first entry, specially MoT. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

So few people have heard about these games let alone played them. Deception starts off slow but quickly becomes a really fascinating story that you can't put down. 

I can't wait for Prelude to the Fallen in March. 

Yep, the localization announcement for Prelude to the Fallen *elated* me, to the extent that it has become a top anticipated release in 2020 for me.

I quite liked the gradual worldbuilding in MoD, now that you mentioned it; it constructed a meticulous setting - the varieties of plants, cooked goods, styles of attire, so forth. It interwove the Ainu inspirations even as it crafted its own realm. Plus, the backstory cast a backdrop that I personally favor a LOT. :) And the cast? Exceptional. Again, a top favorite among video games, for sure.

• Like 4

Missed out grabbing it when it was 12.49 for both Deception and Truth. Will grab the next time it goes on sale like that again! maybe theyll have a Trilogy bundle?

That's good to hear, I've got both Mask of Deception (Vita), & Mask of Truth (PS4) sitting in my backlog waiting to be played. :P

Also I don't know if it's relevant to the games or not, but I have watched the anime before (the first season). It's been a while though, so I don't remember much of it at this point. ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ElBolovo said:

I agree, although if anyone wants to try this series now, wait for the Prelude of the Fallen that is the remake of the first game (launched in 2002). The new duology is way more enjoyable if you understand what happened in the first entry, specially MoT. 

Yeah I wish I had been able to play the first game before Deception/Mask. I will probably do a replay later down the road after playing Prelude!

But I really hope Prelude does well so we can see what happens after Truth. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i have had the games in my backlog for ps4 since the holiday sale of 2017 through early 2018. lately i have been regretting not getting them for the vita instead, as my vita backlog is dwindling due to having used it for years and also the fact that vita sales are becoming much less frequent. 

might end up still playing them on the ps4, or might just wait until they're on sale for vita again. although might be a waste of money doing that as i payed $20 something when i did get them, and there's no stacks in U.S. copies anyways lol. 

like Masamune said, also watched the first season but its been quite awhile for me as well, but it was enjoyable. 

• 1 month later...

Mask of Truth is an absolutely phenomenal game.  Of the entire series, it's probably my favorite.  I feel it has the most post polished combat segment of the three games and is the most challenging (though, even at hard, it isn't that insurmountable).  The equipment, item and ability system of Truth is the most extensive of the three games.  Moreover, the Dream Arena actually provides some closure for some of the characters that is missing in the main game.

For those moving on to Prelude to the Fallen, a small word of warning.  While the story is definitely on par with the duology, the SRPG section is less polished than Truth.  It is cleaner than Deception, but it still feels like a step back a bit.  The combat even on hard isn't at all difficult and I found myself breezing through the game.  I was missing a gallery image because I never experience a game over until I deliberately engineered one.  Still, as an introduction to the series, Prelude is excellent, and the story more than makes up for the shortcomings of the SRPG section.

• Like 1