Favorite saga?

IrishAndrew91

i enjoyed the Frieza one..Androids were rushed and im about to finish Cell. Probably be done game Saturday night 100% is the plan.

as for the anime.... Cell Saga i loved, Buu was good once he became super buu/kid buu. However the animation quality was worse im buu saga than Cell lol.

though i guess all DB villains ever:

1. broly

2. perfect frieza *namek/gold*

3. perfect cell

4. kid buu

5. Jiren (if hes even a "villain")

Baby *human like phase*. had a cool design. 

i hope even with its flaws, that this sells enough to maybe have them do a better one and perhaps GT/Super stories. 

one thing i do think they did right is even though we get 5 playable characters, they keep it strictly to Goku/Gohan. and we dont get tons of random plot filler like Yamcha vs Saibaman, Hercule vs Buu etc. 

Not directly comparing it to the anime, but;

Saga 1: Pretty good. Definitely a nice way to start the game. The last fight against Raditz was a big difficulty spike though.

Saga 2: Very good. My favorite saga I think. Frieza was pretty easy though.

Saga 3: Alright, but it takes such a long time to get started. Noticeable difficulty spike here too.

Saga 4: Very good. Though after this I kinda felt like taking a break from the game. (let's try post-game first though)

Hmm either the Saiyan saga or the first half of the Cell one (mostly cause you got to play as Trunks) were my favorite. 

The Frieza one was very well paced and enjoyable to play but I’m not a fan of that saga in general. It did make the ending feel more enjoyable/fast paced than in the anime in my opinion.

The Cell saga I really liked in the beginning, but the latter part/fights against Cell felt a bit rushed.

The Buu one was fun but it felt like a lot more cutscene heavy than the rest, like I was watching the game too much and not playing it. I’ll rate this one, most fun to watch?

Saga 1: Fun to play, but you can tell this was more a set-up for the later parts. Most of it felt okay to me, but the fight against Vegeta at the end (despite it being the most difficult one for me in the whole game, because of the big difficulty spike) was an eye-catcher. Visually very arresting.

Saga 2: Namek, as a free-roam environment, grew boring after a while, but the Frieza saga built up really nicely. One of my favorites!

Saga 3: The Android saga bit was very uninteresting, maybe because it was rushed. The Cell saga was cool, though.

Saga 4: I thought the Buu saga also took a little while to take off, but the way the narrative ramps up with the seemingly unbeatable Buu and the fusing of characters to become stronger, really elevated this one.

So, in hindsight, I'd say:

Saga 2 > Saga 4 > Saga 3 > Saga 1

Also, the cinematics in this game are off the charts.

• Like 1

I went into this game knowing the absolute basics of the dragon ball lore, so take that is you must.

1. The Saiyan Saga was really fun and entertaining but was the story I was most familiar with.

2.The Frieza Saga, I thought, was excellent and really well paced. It built up how powerful Frieza was which made the showdowns that much better. 

3. Like others have said, the Android stuff was definitely rushed in order to bring Cell in ASAP; but then the Cell stuff felt rushed too because they tried to fit both into one. Probably the weakest for me by default but I still really liked it.

4. The Buu Saga I actually really, really loved. After playing the Frieza Saga and loving it, and then the Cell Saga kinda disappointing in comparison, I didn't have super high hopes for the the Buu Saga. Saying that, it was my favorite by far. The stakes alone and seeing how strong they made Buu out to be was captivating.

So for me: Buu Saga > Frieza Saga > Saiyan Saga > Cell Saga

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 22/01/2020 at 5:10 PM, IrishAndrew91 said:

What saga did the game get mose accurately and which one was the most enjoyable? I really enjoyed the namek saga the most. I wish we could have fought Frieza with Nail but other than that, it was excellent. 

I'm kinda getting the feeling with some of these posts that people haven't seen the source material. The Cell Saga is my favorite in the anime because the initial Android stuff is supposed to be a red herring to the actual villain of the part because of all the time travel stuff that changed history; the surprise of Cell, let alone Android 19 and 20 showing up. It's just plot twist upon plot twist and it's great; most of all, it's suspenseful. And honestly the game didn't really portray that at all. When Piccolo goes to find Cell, he's just standing there, out in the open. May not seem very bad but his introduction in the anime is legendary, they could have easily done a 1:1 cutscene of that like they did for other stuff. Cell has such a screen presence in the anime and it's barely on show here at all. Cell and Buu Sagas have a lot of waiting around written into their narrative so I guess it can't be helped. Also in the latter two Sagas, so much happens that noticeable moments get taken out. It doesn't ruin much, in fact it probably speeds some parts of the Buu Saga up to have a better pace, it's just noticeable. At one point, Goku asks for a Senzu Bean in the Cell Saga but I swear nothing happens after that, like him giving it to Cell or whatever. It also makes Goku's sacrifice look better than Teen Gohan not listening. There are also some weird choices like some scenes being depicted as flashback slideshows. This isn't a problem itself but when the game does it for moments like the ending of Goku vs Majin Vegeta, yeah it doesn't really do the end of the fight justice. 

Saiyan Saga: felt very well done for how relatively short it is. Took me about 6 hours in total honestly. Raditz was a great learning curve as well as me not using healing items. I can't tell if the game got easier after this Saga or I got better. 

Frieza Saga: Probably my least favorite in general, if I had to order them, but it's probably the best written part of them all in terms of a tight 3 act structure. So much happens in quick succession that I think they hit all the highlights in the game and it was translated the best. Frieza wasn't the toughest fight and I didn't expect Namek to be that big to explore considering what happens to it but the post game did surprise me.

Cell Saga: It took a while to get going but the ending hits home like it always does, it's amazing. The plot twists are some of the bets parts of the Saga and having them being showcased in not the best way isn't that great. It's weird how it has some fetch quests put into the main storyline and not the intermission, it really slowed the pace down. We time skip other parts so why not this? It had some nice fanservice though. 

Buu Saga: Again, took a very long time to actually start but when it did, it was very good. Even though it was probably the same in game length as the rest, it felt longer. The game certainly went out on a bang and kept the quality all the way to the end. 

It's a tough order to fully adapt something like this into a video game and they did do a great job. But if I'd have played this first, as a friend recommended I should to get into DBZ I probably wouldn't like the Dragon Ball series as much as I do. I'd say the best adapted was Frieza and most enjoyable was, and I never thought I'd say this, Buu, it has so many set pieces, even if they don't all fit into the narrative that well and the Land of the Kais was absolutely stunning. I agree with OP that a fight with Nail would have been nice. I thought they were setting that up pretty good and then it just didn't happen. I wish we could freely play as Gotenks, Vegito and Trunks though. They tease us by having us play as Goten for like 20 seconds haha.

• Like 2