Need some advice about my backlog.

Spontiark

So in a few days I will start a new real life proyect and i will not have so much spare time to play.

So the thing is that i will have to choose between working on my backlog or playing new games cause i will not have time to do both and im pretty sure i will not enjoy the first option as much as the second.

I must say that my backlog maybe is not looking so bad as it is because half of my uncompleted games are hidden.

So the question is, what would you do in my place?

• Like 1

How about alternate between playing a new game and one from your backlog? I was able to do this in pursuit of my high completion percentage goal. I also guess it depends on what is more important to you. Playing newer games right away or getting to those you want to play but never got around to.

• Like 1

I would not shy away from playing a new game if you know you would enjoy it. You can also choose a game from your backlog maybe the easiest to complete on the side of playing a new game and go from there. You're going to be having less time so just make manageable goals for yourself.

Edited by Sambe-95
  • Like 1

It depends on the amount of hours you have available to play, the required time to complete the games, number of people required and the likelihood of any server closures. The best option (without having all the information) would be to finish up the multiplayer trophies on all the backlog games, starting with the oldest games first. After that you can play whatever you feel like playing without the worry of the games becoming unobtainable.

• Like 1

Life is short so play whatever is the most appealing to you at the time. Just have fun. As my mum often says "you might get hit by a bus tomorrow". If getting your completion percentage up is the most fun for you then play your backlog but, if not, play the newer games you indicate would be more enjoyable right now. After all, there's a reason certain older game are in a backlog position I assume.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Spontiark said:

So in a few days I will start a new real life proyect and i will not have so much spare time to play.

So the thing is that i will have to choose between working on my backlog or playing new games cause i will not have time to do both and im pretty sure i will not enjoy the first option as much as the second.

I must say that my backlog maybe is not looking so bad as it is because half of my uncompleted games are hidden.

I'm personally working 60 hours a week and the bulk of my gaming time is on the weekends and late evenings (hour or two). I'm probably in a similar situation as yourself.

I go with backlog every time. Games were already paid for, I might as well play them. No point buying full priced new games, when they'll be a fraction of the price, after the backlog is tidied up.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, VigilantCrow said:

I'm personally working 60 hours a week and the bulk of my gaming time is on the weekends and late evenings (hour or two). I'm probably in a similar situation as yourself.

I go with backlog every time. Games were already paid for, I might as well play them. No point buying full priced new games, when they'll be a fraction of the price, after the backlog is tidied up.

Exactly my stance. If I fork out £50 on a new game by the time I get round to it the price has likely dropped to about 20% of that so I am chucking cash away.

6 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Target anything with online/multiplayer components first - those have an eventual deadline.  

Maybe split your playtime or play days between working on online/mp progress and playing something you enjoy, whether it's backlog or new

^ this !

If you look at my backlog, i have some games started with only the MP trophies done, that way i can play it and get 100% when I want, even MANY years later !

My best example is Avatar :

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/220-avatar-the-game/seblegamer

Did the mp in 2011 ^^'

Now server are close (since a few years) but when I want, i can just go back to it and finally get plat / 100% without any issue, even 9 years later xD

I did the same for Tron / Far cry 2 / Assassin's Creed 3 / WWE 2011 ... but all those games are safe cause MP is done, and when I will get the time + motivation, i will definitly do them ... some day :popcorn:

Do stuff like Dark Souls 2 and Lords of the Fallen first. I don't know if you are subscribed to PlayStation Now or you have an actual PS3 to work with.

The stuff you have hidden may be games you don't plan to play or come back to. In that case just focus on what is visibly shown on your profile.

I would definitely stick with the backlog before I would venture out to buy new games. I got into the trap of buying new games due to PlayStation Flash Sales popping up and pretty soon I had a few dozen games that are going to take me at least two years to get through them all. Don't fall into the same trap that I did.

Demon's Souls would probably be the game I'd be working on if I was in your place. But I don't know how you felt about it and considering it's age, you may not enjoy it that much.

A profile that has a good completion rate and solid, quality games is much better than a profile with a bunch of unfinished games that you may never finish because you got too many titles on your backlog.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Spaz said:

Do stuff like Dark Souls 2 and Lords of the Fallen first. I don't know if you are subscribed to PlayStation Now or you have an actual PS3 to work with.

The stuff you have hidden may be games you don't plan to play or come back to. In that case just focus on what is visibly shown on your profile.

I would definitely stick with the backlog before I would venture out to buy new games. I got into the trap of buying new games due to PlayStation Flash Sales popping up and pretty soon I had a few dozen games that are going to take me at least two years to get through them all. Don't fall into the same trap that I did.

Demon's Souls would probably be the game I'd be working on if I was in your place. But I don't know how you felt about it and considering it's age, you may not enjoy it that much.

A profile that has a good completion rate and solid, quality games is much better than a profile with a bunch of unfinished games that you may never finish because you got too many titles on your backlog.

Good point, Demon Souls and Dark Souls 2 are my priority, I have a ps3 but I will be soon in another country and im not planing to take it with me, I dont know how much time i will have to finish them.

15 hours ago, Sky_RykerXD said:

Anything with multiplayer first.

Then backlog, but use a site like HowLongToBeat. I sort my backlog by Completionist hours. It's not a trophy site so times are a little off, but it gives you a general idea. Working on the shorter ones can definitely put a dent in the backlog.

Good advice, but i dont play many multiplayer games except the figthing games that im afraid are beyond my level of skill and patience and Destiny that is hidden, cause i dont enjoy playing it anymore.

17 hours ago, VigilantCrow said:

I will be soon in a similar situation but I think if im working my ass off and a really great game comes out like Cyberpunk and I'm not spending 70 bucks for playing it on day 1, what am i working for?

I want to clarify that money is not an issue, i have no big spendings, no children, no addictions, in the last years i have earned far more than im used to spend.

Thank you everyone for your thougths about the matter everyone's got a point in a way or another

Honnestly, I think this is really a question to which there is no correct answer. Each and every person in this community will have a different perspective based on their own experience, priorities, personalities and objectives.

For my part, my priority is completing all my incomplete PS3 games to 100% or as close to 100% as I can get. It is a painstaking endeavour so I do allow myself to play newer games sometimes just so that gaming doesn't feel la a chore.

Bottom line, set goals, identify a way to achieve, re-evaluate said goal once in a while, adjust strategy, and most importantly, have fun getting there... thats what all this is about after all... having fun!

On 1/22/2020 at 9:56 PM, Spontiark said:

First off I would focus on what is realistically freezable, you have to want to enjoy yourself and want to do it. You do have your own responsibilities and honestly I wouldn't want you stressing over what to play. Keep it simple, alternate between new and old and remember to play it because you want to!

5 minutes ago, Djaspoo said:

Honnestly, I think this is really a question to which there is no correct answer. Each and every person in this community will have a different perspective based on their own experience, priorities, personalities and objectives.

Pretty much it. There really isn't a correct response because everyone, as cheesy as it sounds, has their own situation. I will say though to not focus too much on the 100% If it become a chore stop and play something else.