Games you got for free (excluding PS Plus, PS Now and FTP games).

MiloFPS

Street Fighter V and RE5 - My uncle worked there back in the day.

Resident Evil Revelations - I imported it from the US, it took 3 weeks and it still didn't arrive so I got a refund then two days later it arrived.

Child of Light - won a code on digitaltrends.

Knack 2 - By a NZ PS Store glitch it was free for a few hours.

I'd like to hear some stories. Gifts from family are technically valid but not noteworthy.

Edited by MiloFPS
  • Like 2

I won Destiny for Xbox One on IGN's Nordic site. I can't remember what I did to win it, but Xbox sales were so bad at the start of the generation that I legit think I was one of the only ones entering.

While not being a game, I won a Playstation 3 console in a writing contest. It got shipped a few weeks after I had written my entry, and I had completely forgotten about it. All of a sudden I get a notice to pick up a parcel weighting 5kg or something. Had a big wtf moment and tried to remember what it could be to no success. It was a pleasant surprise just before Christmas, to say the least.

Edit: Oh, totally forgot. One of the times Sony's security was breached, loads of credit card information was stolen by hackers. This was during the PS3 era, and as compensation we got to pick one game out of three at no cost. Think I picked one of the Killzone games. My credit card information was outdated though so I just received a game for free without having to go through the hassle of disabling my card.

Edited by SinisterPledge
  • Like 4

Excluding game besides ps3/ps4/Vita i got a few for free :)

- Mirror's Edge: a gift from EA to all people. I know we got a ps4 and Vita game too but i don't remember which one for ps4 (i think it's a PvZ title). I know it was NfS Most Wanted on Vita but i didn't buy that one :P

- Mr. Massagy, Jak & Dexter 1 PS4: both in a random giveaway here on psnp :)

- Knack 2: cuz of the free price ar launch :D

- God of War 3 PS3, Tomb Raider PS3, Test Drive Unlimited 2: a friend sold his ps3 and forgot he owned these but they were at another friend's house half a year later so i was allowed to grab them :D

What about games i bought like My Name is Mayo, 36 Fragments of Midnight or Volume which got another version added later for free cuz of cross-buy? ?

Edited by Evil_Joker88

1. Mirror's Edge, Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare, and Need for Speed: Most Wanted from EA back in December 2014. What a pleasant surprise that was. 

2. The Surge- Received this from a PSN store glitch back in June 2018 in which it was temporarily free and Sony didn't revoke the license for it. 

3. WipEout HD- I honestly don't recall how I managed to receive this, but I think it had to with downloading the trial or something like that. This occurred back in 2012, so definitely long after it was offered as compensation due to the PSN outage of 2011. 

• Like 1

1. Ordered Shape Up (Xbox One) and became "Puzzles & Dragons Z + Puzzle Dragons (Super Mario Bros. Edition)" (Nintendo 3DS) and my money back.

2. Ordered WRC 3 (PS3) & WRC 4 (PS3) and the seller mixed it up, so I became WRC 3 (PS2) & WRC 4 (PS2), which I keep for free
and got both PS3 games, which I paid for, 1 week later.

I'm sure I'm not gonna remember all but here are some... time to incriminate myself. :ninja:

I got a free game on PC here or there from EA, GOG or Steam. Couldn't tell you which ones as I'm not really a PC gamer so they just sit in my library and I don't really pay attention to them. Plus they're mixed in with stuff I got from Humble Bundle/Twitch Prime. I do know Theme Hospital was one of them which I was really glad for because I had the disc for the game but it got damaged over the years and the game would freeze at certain points.

Whenever I buy a pre-ownded console, people always forget to wipe their account so it comes with a bunch of games installed. One time I got a 360 with 10+ games on it such as Thief, Dark Souls 2, Resident Evil CVX, F1 2011 or 2012, Gears 2 and Judgment and a couple more. XB1 came with Titanfall and a Sniper Elite game on it and one of my PS3s with LBP3, Tetris on HDD and Skylanders in the disc drive. All these systems were sold as systems only so I didn't expect to find anything on there.

I also won The Burning Crusade expansion for WoW (that I gifted to a friend) and Darksiders 2 for PC from Gameinformer.

I got Dead Nation and Wipeout HD from Sony's Welcome Back Program (PSN Outage) for my US account and Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty for my EU acc. Years Later there was some lawsuit settlement about this (which I didn't know I was a part of) and they gave me another free game: Invizimals: The Lost Kingdom.

Let's see, I also grabbed Need For Speed: Most Wanted and Motorstorm RC for the Vita when they gave them away totally free (not PS+) and at the time I didn't even have a Vita. And I grabbed Cosmic Star Heroine when that was free.

There was also one time back in the PS2 days I bought several games from Gamestop and the guy at checkout forgot to scan a couple of the games. I didn't even notice it till later when I checked the receipt. :P 

I ordered Far Cry New Dawn, God of War, Division 2 and a controller on Black Friday. The items didn't arrive when tracking said "delivered" and after 2 days they sent the items again (minus the controller, that was refunded). On the third day someone from the next apartment building brought over my original package so I gifted the second copies to family. Still got a free controller out of it.

I think that's mostly it.

3 hours ago, VoxAnimi said:

1. Mirror's Edge, Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare, and Need for Speed: Most Wanted from EA back in December 2014. What a pleasant surprise that was. 

2. The Surge- Received this from a PSN store glitch back in June 2018 in which it was temporarily free and Sony didn't revoke the license for it. 

3. WipEout HD- I honestly don't recall how I managed to receive this, but I think it had to with downloading the trial or something like that. This occurred back in 2012, so definitely long after it was offered as compensation due to the PSN outage of 2011. 

The compensation games from the Sony Hack were available for 2 years after the hack occurred. I had multiple accounts connected to PSN and ended up getting every game they offered. What a great deal. 

• Like 1

For physical games, a friend gave me his copies of Red Dead Redemption & South Park The Stick Of Truth. He did not want them back after he played them and told me I could have them. In my eyes both games are bloody brilliant. 

Another friend with whom I share a big passion for the Metal Gear saga gave me one of his copy of the Metal Gear Legacy Collection because he owned it twice. The Legacy Collection includes Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker. Same goes for Resident Evil Operation Racoon City, which he owned twice as well. This copy still stands untouched in my closet. 

FIFA10 and FIFA12 I found in a box that said "giveaway" on the streets a few years ago. And my brother gave me his copy for Ace Combat Assault Horizon because he stop playing games. He also has a few games more which he would give me if I just would ask for them. 

Digitally, I got Mirror's Edge and Plants VS Zombies Garden Warfare for free from EA during that day in December 2014 (others already mentioned it here). I think there was one more game which I got for free during a glitch at Playstation store, but I can't remember which one it was. 

Edited by Solid-Fisch

Games from psn outage and the free EA games.

I got a digital version of Arkham Knight for free because my collectors edition was gonna arrive late.

From psn glitches I've gotten Killzone Shadowfall (was right on release too). A rythem game called kickbeat i think it was called. There was a plus game too but I can't remember what game it was. Basically they updated the free game and it was the wrong one lol this was right at the start of plus when it was one game a month.

Loads of free games on Steam, gog, epic and origin over the years.

While not a game I did get loads of microtransactions stuff for free on Star Trek Online. I got one thing which I paid for and then loads of other stuff showed as free. So I grabbed them too. Then I got scared I'd be flagged as a hacker or something. I didn't want to get banned so reported it. Even though I sent screenshots. I got the impression I wasn't believed lol they never contacted me about it or took the items off me.

I win a pretty decent amount of Ratalaika games from Twitter. Either from Rata themselves or people like Knoef who do Twitter contests. I also won LiveLock from the website PlayStation Lifestyle.

This doesnt really count, but back in the day I used to spend a lot of money at Best Buy and would rack up points really fast then use the points on getting movies and games for free. I still get a decent amount of movies for free with the points, but not like I used to lol. I also got a decent amount of $10/$20 PSN cards and movies from Sony Rewards over the years.

Activision gave me a redeem code for Call of Duty Infinite Warfare bundled with Modern Warfare Remastered along with Call of Duty WWII, both when they were new releases at the time, just for being signed up to the call of duty newsletter

theyve also given me a WWII themed jersey with my PSN ID on the back

Edited by Property_Damage
  • Like 1

-When I was a kid, I won a Nabisco (I think) sweepstakes and received a bunch of Genesis carts in the mail—good times!

-Some years later, we found a pristine copy of NES Batman on the street.

-Can't remember what, but I got a free game in compensation for the Sony hack; I think it was either LittleBigPlanet or Super Stardust HD.

-Like others, I was fortunate enough to grab The Surge during the pricing error.

That's all I can think of.

• 2 weeks later...

Kingdom Hearts 3 as a gift from my now ex boyfriend, and also Terraria which I traded in without playing. 

Code Realise saikou no hanataba on PS4 and the FD Hakugin no Kiseki- both presents from my brother for Xmas last year

Collar x Malice unlimited- present from mum for xmas 2018

Nil Admirai no Tenbin main game and Kuroyuri sequel- birthday gifts from mum last year

Amnesia crowd- a present from a friend in Japan 2 years ago

Kingdom Hearts- was free when I bought my PS2

Mirrors Edge- free with my PS4

Tomb Raider PS3- Birthday gift from an old friend years ago

FFX/X-2 HD remaster- my parents bought this for me

• 2 weeks later...

Good guy Nintendo treated me to free download codes of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (Wii U) and The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds (3DS).

Got Control and Wolfenstein Youngblood from NVIDIA for buying their GPU. Also got 40+ free games (stuff like The Messenger, Batman Arkham trilogy, Kingdom Come: Deliverance) during the past few months alone on PC. And people claim PC gaming is expensive...

Never got anything for free from Sony.

• 3 weeks later...

I got sent a collectors edition of Catherine for Xbox 360 back in the day because of a website I used to write for. However I left it in the loft of my old house by accident. I was gutted when I realised and couldn't get in contact with the new owners...

I also got numerous digital copies of free games (mainly indies), as review copies.Was a good time until the website shout down :(