Trophy Tips & Small Guide

JakJakAttacks

• 7 months later...
On 1/25/2020 at 10:54 PM, JakJakAttacks said:

As of the date of this writing, the game on the PS4 is unstable. It crashed on me during my playthrough at least a dozen times. There are some odd text glitches that, after an hour or two of play, cause letters to either disappear, or to appear all glitched out making things impossible to read. Simply quitting the game and launching it again fixed this, but annoying nonetheless; especially on such a text heavy game such as this. However, despite its glitchy-ness, none of the trophies glitched for me or refused to unlock after fulfilling the criteria for them.

:( Any updates? I wish this game worked properly, as it was a great game for PC back in the days.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know if you could follow/adapt one of the existing Planescape: Torment Speedruns on YouTube for the True Neutral Playthrough? I saw mention in a Steam forum that the current speedruns don't do enough to shift alignment.

Edit: I ended up doing a quick playthrough following the main story and referring to the GameFAQ for alignment. 

Edited by bikeman223

Despite following this guide I ended up getting 'Kin-Stealer' instead of 'Enchained Blade'. The only thing I can think that happened is that Dak'kon's moral was lowered by me telling Ravel that my friends were 'tools nothing more' before saying 'I didn't know Dak'kon well enough'. Or his deaths throughout the playthough lowered his moral? Just something to keep in mind.

Edit: I did it again and the only thing that went differently was that I avoided the 'tools' line, the trophy then unlocked normally.

Edited by bikeman223

• 10 months later...

Dak’kon sword isn’t that bad. Just take him in your party from the start and ignore him completely in any dialogue or interaction, also ignore any gith in the game because it probably influences him. Once he has enough xp to be level 10, save your game. Level him up, get the enchained blade. Reload for the kin stealer, just murdering the two giths (through dialogue) in Lower ward should be enough. Insist on the gruesome death for the sick one, for the other belittle Dak’kon in any occasion, then talk to her again and force Dak’kon to kill her, that alone has been enough to shift him in my game. For streaming blade just completing the circle should be enough. I suggest you do this before Ravel because yes, talking to her either way while Dak’kon is here will change his morale, since you have to answer questions about companions, and it may compromise your trophies one way or the other. Plus after Ravel you can’t come back to Sigil after a long while if you need more morale shifts.
if you need to grind xp for him, the best I found is killing black abishai in the streets, gives 7k xp per kill, for a couple seconds depending on your power. It won’t shift your alignment nor draw the Lady of Pain attention so feel free to abuse it. Best spot is in Northwest Hive, there’s an abishai always spawning under the eastern door, it can be hard to spot because he’s right through the door so use the cursor to reach it. Kill him, enter the central house, and go back outside for them to respawn. Cherry on top being the house is also an inn (free if you do the tenant’s quest) so sleep when you’re low on HP. Only issue leveling Dak’kon is he’s multiclass, so his own xp is divided by 2 and he needs level 10 in fighter for his blade to change. Also if you don’t know xp is divided per character so dismiss everyone but him. That means from the 7k his fighter class only receives 1/4th of the xp if you’re alone with him, in other words 1750 xp per kill…

I could achieve True Neutral in my first playthrough, doing also 95% of the side quests in the mean time I assume. If you play like me you will end up shifting in chaotic good, for chaotic I don’t have much of an advice for you besides trying to act as lawful as possible if you ever go there. For good though, it’s not too hard to balance, by killing a couple citizens here and there (not enough to bring attention from the lady of pain, no worries), the issue being it shifts you to chaotic too so you still have to watch out for this. There’s a great item though for the part where you can’t return to Sigil, it’s the malevolent book you get from Mantuok (wererat in Lothar’s basement). It gives you evil points each time you ask him for advice (limited to at least a dozen times I’d say), I’d keep these opportunities for that part especially since you may do a lot of good after you go back in Curst. You can also do his 3 sacrifices if you feel you need a bigger shift toward evil, mind though for the 2nd you need to be in Sigil (sell a companion to slavery, I chose Nordom), for the 3rd you have to punch a companion to death on your own but you can resurrect him right away, once you did the third you can’t talk to the book anymore though.

The three classes to level 12 you can do that in a single game too, just accumulate enough xp to be level 12, save, level up, reload and just use another class. This may be struggle though, especially with mage since this class really sucks in this game and there’s not much of an advantage leveling several classes besides a couple of extra saving throws. One thing you could do though is stick with one class through the whole game, make sure it stays at level 11 at max (by not leveling to 12 or further, easy) until you reach the portal to the Fortress of Regret, then once you’re ready change to one of the class you haven’t used, make sure you don’t bring Ignus or Vailhor, quickly solve the puzzle in the first room (use every lever) then meet up with your incarnations, after having absorbed your good incarnation you should be able to use the bronze sphere, which gives you 2million xp alone, more than enough to level a class to 12. Once done, reload and repeat for the others.

Ok I can also give you an exploit to completely trivialize the game combat system, it’s an exploit that also exists in BG2, but in this game you need to respect some extra steps. This essentialy lets you have infinite money. You need a thief, you or Annah, to be able to steal from shops, and you need to get your pickpocket skill to 110 bare minimum. You can only go up to 100 through leveling, but there are ways to get over that cap once you reached it. There are a few permanent pickpocketting upgrades through observing other pockpockets (Fleece the only one I remember), training with Annah, a single use tattoo that gives a permanent upgrade etc… this works only for you though not Annah, alternatively you can also use several rat tail charms which stack, works for you or Annah.

Before I continue I must clear some asumptions. No, you can’t just sell an item you just stole from a shop, it will be permanently marked as stolen and unsellable. BUT, this rule doesn’t apply to stackable items, on the one condition that the first item of that stack was NOT stolen. This means you could buy one item and steal 98 others, the whole stack of 99 will be sellable. 
With that in mind, I’ll introduce you to Giscorl, a merchant in the Southwest Hive who has the lowest pickpocket resistance of 10, which means with a pickpocketting skill of 110, you have 100% chance to succeed. The only issue is Giscorl only sells crap, so you have to bring him some stuff. I’d suggest you bone charms (can buy infinitely from the merchant by Giscorl), cockroach charms (Mebbeth, only 3 max and replenish only 1 per day…), Heal scroll (Emoric if you’re Dustman, Lothar if you did his quest, only stacks to 5). Now just sell whatever you have, making sure you keep at least one in inventory, steal it back right away, sell it again… infinite money!

Now you’re telling yourself it won’t be much of a use in combat, but you’re wrong. You can now buy hundreds of heart charms and heal whenever since using items in this game is instant compared to BG or IwD where you have to use a turn per item. You’re basically immortal. You could also use charms but just sticking to healing has been enough for me (though at times stacking charms that make you 100% resistant to certain damage is handy).

In theory you could just steal the charms from other merchants, but the thing is they have way higher resistance. For some reason when I tried to stack rat tail charms I could only achieve 127 max, but the issue is I used almost every opportunity to overcap pickpocket before I was at 100 from leveling, so my base pickpocketting wasn’t much higher than 100. Still, 127 is enough to garantee stealing from Quint in the buried village, but he only has blood charms at most, though if you get hundreds of them it’s just as fine as heart charms now that I think of it… If somehow you can have a better pickpocket level see this list of shops: https://torment.fandom.com/wiki/Store_(PS:T) (Need 100+their steal failure to garantee stealing). Dver sells heart charms and would need 130 pickpocket for example.

Edited by GastNDorf
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2.09.2020 at 6:13 PM, MMDE said:

:( Any updates? I wish this game worked properly, as it was a great game for PC back in the days.

It's fairy playable now with some minor bugs. Text bug is fully fixed for example.

Taking all beamdog remasters into consideration Neverwinter Nights is buggy as hell and Baldur's Gate SoD had some problems. Rest is fine.

• 4 months later...

Adding to the bug notes...I just started playing this a few days ago and today the game started crashing every time I tried to save the game. The auto-save was working but any attempt to save manually caused a crash. This behavior persisted even on a fresh save file. It started after I got a free "rest" from asking Phineas T Lort about how he got to his current position at the Office of Vermin Control.

What fixed it for me was first deleting everything except the auto-save in the in-game menu. I was still seeing the crashing problem, so I then went to the PS5 save data menu and also deleted any leftover saves there; one particular save was somehow still in this folder despite having been deleted in-game. After that, things started working again.

Hopefully this helps somebody as I doubt it will ever get patched at this point. So far, I haven't seen any other issues besides the occasional crash when changing areas.