Last Game that Really Gripped You

thefourfoldroot

So, I bounce off a lot of games (hence my terrible completion percentage). If I get bored I generally move on. Some games I like ok and finish, but rarely in one run excluding all other games (Spider-Man for example I liked, but played other games as well).

I've recently started playing Battle Chasers Nightwar on PS Now however, and I am loving it. Don't want to play anything else. Want to devote every free minute to the game. I can't remember doing that for many other games this gen. Astro Bot is probably the only other that springs to mind.

So, I was wondering, which game has really gripped you, to the exclusion of all else, recently/this gen/ever?

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 2

Catherine Full Body, but I was kind of expecting it since I loved the original. Crash Racing is probably the other one, never played the original but I couldn’t put it down. I think it gave me nostalgia from the crap tonne of Diddy King Racing I played as a kid, incredible game.

Recently played Zero Escape 999 and Tomb Raider in which both gripped me greatly. Gameplay is a major thing for me and then story so as long as it has good gameplay I tend to get hooked easily, but I'm also very fussy and if there's even one thing which bothers me about a game or annoys me due to glitches then I'm not interested at all.

• Like 1

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot for me even though I haven't had too much time to play it. I've never even seen the anime but always wanted to get into it. Everything about it is enthralling to me even though i know basically nothing about it besides the absolute basics. 

If only going by recent games then I'd say Ruiner. Was completely sold after a few minutes of playing and ended up doing multiple playthroughs of it back to back, which is quite rare for me. Even rarer is enjoying each one of those playthroughs.

GiddyShyAmericanbadger-size_restricted.g

• Like 3

I'm honestly not sure...

The latest two that come to mind would be Death Stranding or Final Fantasy XIV.  Death Stranding I actually played through start to finish without any serious issues or being too tempted to drop it (helps I had some time off work to stay focused)... I enjoyed it a lot, but I'd put it mostly in the "great but not amazing" category, despite being my GOTY 2019, kind of a weak year.  Final Fantasy XIV I haven't finished the story of... but I somehow got a solid month or two out of it straight, which I can't say about most games.

So I guess Final Fantasy XIV.  It got its hooks into me longer than most other games... but kinda torn and not playing now mostly because I don't want to (but actually really do want to) get that into an MMO at the moment.  Not one with a monthly sub anyways.

Prior to those two...?  Maybe Celeste back at the beginning of 2018?  That's the last slam dunk I can remember.  It's few and far between that a game absolutely grips me with no strings attached.  It's new releases that have the best shot at hooking me in for whatever reason, so I have a good feeling about 2020 with Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Final Fantasy VII Remake and Cyberpunk 2077.  One of those games will probably sink their claws into me pretty good.

Edited by Dreakon13

• 2 weeks later...

It was Tales of vesperia for me back on the PS3. I got the platinum twice, each taking 135 and then 120 hours. I was so obsessed with this game and have so much Vesperia and Yuri merchandise from Japan and from going to two Tales Festivals in Tokyo. I used to play this game hours a day in uni. 

The other was FFX-2 where I had 11 playthroughs on the PS2 version. I loved this game so much and played it all the time. I got so good at it that the platinum in the remaster was super easy and I did in one run, as I know this game inside and out

In recent times, I guess Chaos;Child. I wasn't really expecting much but it gripped me a lot more than a lot of VNs do, and I think I honestly prefer it to Steins;Gate now.

I also finally got around to SMT4 and Apocalypse a few months ago, and found myself rather addicted, especially to the first one. It's not hard for me to get addicted to SMT games though, I remember excessively playing Persona 5 a lot after college and on weekends back when it came out. I was getting withdrawal symptoms after completing it, so went back to it a few months later and platinumed it, did the same thing for Persona 4 Golden back in the day. Although I don't see myself playing it at launch (would rather wait for a guide detailing all the new optional stuff so I don't miss anything), it will likely be the same thing for me with the Royal.

Yakuza 0, so many elements I thought I'd never master, a gripping story line, great graphics and a level of insanity usually reserved for Nintendo games, but with an older audience in mind. What a game!

Also a mention of Brothers a tale of 2 son's seems appropriate although due to Yakuza it's not technically the last one that immersed me. It's still absolutely brilliant.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...