Good 3rd party PS3 controllers?

THE-73est

If you don't mind the controller being wired and with a different analog stick layout, I would highly recommend the Hori Pad FPS Plus. It works for PS4 and PS3, comes with a turbo function, as well as a function to assign buttons to a different position. It neither has rumble nor Sixaxis though. 

Another one I kinda liked is the Afterglow Controller, but it doesn't come close to the real thing and feels kinda cheap (probably because it is cheap lol). 

Other than that I would go for the Dualshock 4 controller, but I'm guessing that no option for you(?)

• Like 1

All suck. Hori ones are reasonable but not perfect. Well the Dualshock 3 wasn't very good either and very easy to get damaged, the 4 is a very big improvement in quality. The Dualshock 4 doesn't work with all games on the PS3. Only better option I found was to buy one of the devices to use controllers from another console and use them on the PS3 (the xbox one is great). Beware these are very expensive and some very difficult to use.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Might be in the market for one soon, especially if Ps5 really have no BC with ps3 games. So far all I  hear is Hori is really good and it works too for Ps4 so thats a plus too I guess since my Ps4 controllers are being shit too, but rather not spend almost 60$ for one. But I guess if it works with ps3 and ps4 im only spending $30..easier to think that way to make me get it. Is there anything else out there worth looking at? I dont mind if it isnt great....if its really cheap $$. Could always replace again....

• 2 weeks later...

On 20/03/2020 at 1:06 AM, NERVergoproxy said:

Might be in the market for one soon, especially if Ps5 really have no BC with ps3 games. So far all I  hear is Hori is really good and it works too for Ps4 so thats a plus too I guess since my Ps4 controllers are being shit too, but rather not spend almost 60$ for one. But I guess if it works with ps3 and ps4 im only spending $30..easier to think that way to make me get it. Is there anything else out there worth looking at? I dont mind if it isnt great....if its really cheap $$. Could always replace again....

I've been thinking about getting the hori ever since I made this thread just can't seem to justify it

I bought an wired PS3 3rd party controller from Gamestop recently for ~ 20€: http://www.atplayaccessories.com/products/PS3-Wired-Controller.html,

Feels like playing with a DS3 since it has the same dimensions but weighs less since it has no rumbling and no six axis. Home button is also working.

Also my girlfriend and I tried playing with lots of those Chinese PS3 DS3 look alike controllers.

Okay, they have at least rumble but after 1 or 2 minutes without input they just disconnect until you press the home button again. Only 1 of 4 had a bad left analog stick.

But in my opinion the wired controller from Gamestop is better then those copies.

Edited by Geridian

On 20/03/2020 at 5:06 AM, NERVergoproxy said:

https://www.gamegrin.com/hardware/gioteck-wx-4-wireless-switch-controller-review/

This is the one I use, it's made for switch so it has the xbox layout but it's only £20. It's comes both wireless and wired versions, I have wireless but you can attach a USB lead and play it while charging it.

It also has a power saving thing where if left idle too long it will turn off . Be warned though it has loud buttons and joysticks.

47 minutes ago, Geridian said:

I bought an wired PS3 3rd party controller from Gamestop recently for ~ 20€: http://www.atplayaccessories.com/products/PS3-Wired-Controller.html,

Feels like playing with a DS3 since it has the same dimensions but weighs less since it has no rumbling and no six axis. Home button is also working.

Also my girlfriend and I tried playing with lots of those Chinese PS3 DS3 look alike controllers.

Okay, they have at least rumble but after 1 or 2 minutes without input they just disconnect until you press the home button again. Only 1 of 4 had a bad left analog stick.

But in my opinion the wired controller from Gamestop is better then those copies.

I think I also have this one but it was just branded as a GAME own brand one. It has lasted multiple years so it's doing decently.

• Like 1

Do any of them have fuctional 6 axis and ps button? Its so annoying the ds4 cant work better on the ps3..

On a side note ive ne er understood why people like the ds4 more.. i miss the ps1 - ps3 controllers..

Also hate that the Hori one has asymmetrical sticks.. i think those jank ps3 controllers from china might be my only option..

4 hours ago, DemonicDraco said:

Do any of them have fuctional 6 axis and ps button? Its so annoying the ds4 cant work better on the ps3..

On a side note ive ne er understood why people like the ds4 more.. i miss the ps1 - ps3 controllers..

Also hate that the Hori one has asymmetrical sticks.. i think those jank ps3 controllers from china might be my only option..

I agree, I really do like an authentic DS3. That being said I've tried one of the china DS3s and it's terrible, not worth it at all, feels nothing like an original ds3.

• 1 month later...