I really dislike this game.

Cannot believe I actually got myself to playing this game again. I absolutely hated it back on GBA and cancelled my playthrough back then when I couldn't beat Riku after Destiny Island.

Then started it again on both PS2 and PS3 but never got close to that part because the game bored the hell out of me (the battle system, to be precise).

Now, I had some free time and started it again. Took me two sessions to end up at DI again and beat the hell out of Riku first try -- just to need ~ 15 tries for Larxene 2.

And finally, I am now stuck at Axel in Castle Oblivion. I don't know, I just cannot bring myself to like and/or being interested in caring about strategy with the cards.

Well, I just came here to tell everyone that I really really really don't like this game. I just want to get the design but ... seems like I will once again fail it, especially since I've already heard before how terrible the final boss is supposed to be.

Gah.

• Like 1

It's been quite some time since I played through this game but I remember cheesing my way through it on critical mode with Firaga/Blizzaga decks. 

There are guides all over on how to make those decks if you want to play through the game with little effort. 

Edited by ClintonLS90
  • Like 1

Honestly playing it off the back of KH1, was really interesting. at first I was struggling as a I was used to mashing and like you I wasn't sure if I liked it. but as i made it through the roadblocks. (all the same ones it looks like you're hitting) I started to really enjoy the complexity of deck building and performing sleights. It's now one of my favourite in the series because of it's bold move to try a really unique combat system. As clinton said earlier, the game has been out so long that there is some really cheese builds you can make. It just punishes you for mashing in the first half of the game.

unfortunate to hear you didn't like it.

• Like 3

I understand the inner demon that comes from a game left unfinished. KH1 gummi ship missions, FF13 item collection, and Kirby Air Ride checkboxes come to mind.
Chain of Memories is largely at fault for frontloading the least useful information possible in the tutorial. I wouldn’t expect every player to excel at this game without some extra pointers. Everglow on Youtube has a comprehensive video on how to grapple with the battle system.

To boil it down, you want to take note of how strong an attack card (different keyblade faces) is in a different step of the 3 hit combo. The damage output varies greatly, and is most relevant as attack/defense stats are absent in this game. Heartless hordes should pose no issue; there can be 10 units against you but due to the card system, only 1 can attack you at a time. It’s the boss battles where you’ll need to fine-tune your deck. Number 0 cards let you nullify those powerful sleights the bosses keep killing you with. There are several potent sleights that are easy to remember for their card requirements. Favoring Card Capacity (CC) over HP helps, gives you more room.

Sora’s final boss is not as fearsome as it is said to be. The first form uses no sleights whatsoever, and the second is completely stationary, while each of the sleights used have enough startup to avoid, whether by dodge roll or glide.
If I wanted to change a thing or two about Chain of Memories, I’d start with getting Deep Jungle back into one of the floors while shifting 100 Acre Wood to a skippable section on the side, adding some collectibles that could have been relevant to Sora, his past, and the game’s concurrence with 358/2 Days (I don’t count the room of rewards keyblade cards sorry).

Or I guess you could just spam Lethal Frame, Blizzaga, etc.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FawltyPowers said:

Played on GBA - Hated it

For some strange reason then played on PS2- Hated it

Bewilderingly played on PS3 - Hated it

Now unfathomably playing it on PS4 - Hates it

This has got to be the strangest post I've read in a long time. So much so I was waiting for the punchline that never came.

10 hours ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

Then.....don't play it?

8 hours ago, Alternatewarning said:

If you hate it so much maybe stop...buying it on new systems and trying to play it?  The game isn't going to radically change between systems...

As stated above, I care about the design and somehow about finishing things. Just as @EqualityEarth said, it scratches my mind to leave this unfinished, especially since I'm ALMOST done with it. Yesterday, this was more of ... like a post to get rid of my frustration.

Everybody else: Thanks for your advices and sharing your thoughts!

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 6:41 PM, ClintonLS90 said:

It's been quite some time since I played through this game but I remember cheesing my way through it on critical mode with Firaga/Blizzaga decks. 

There are guides all over on how to make those decks if you want to play through the game with little effort. 

I'm assuming you mean "Proud" mode as their is no Critcial mode in Re:Chain of Memories. Critical Mode didn't first appear until BBS and KH2 FM.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ModeOfAdam said:

He will hate PS5 Definite HQ Edition :D

Haha yes indeed, I will. ?

But - believe me or not - I actually managed so somehow finish the game + Riku's route. I still really dislike the battle system, imo one of the worst if not THE worst I ever touched (and I played tons of video games with a battle system) but at least I thought the story was quite entertaining until the very end.

Cheers, Julian out.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 17/2/2020 at 0:22 PM, triplejmzu8 said:

Haha yes indeed, I will. 1f602.png

But - believe me or not - I actually managed so somehow finish the game + Riku's route. I still really dislike the battle system, imo one of the worst if not THE worst I ever touched (and I played tons of video games with a battle system) but at least I thought the story was quite entertaining until the very end.

Cheers, Julian out.

I'm somehow with you there.

I've started the game nearly 15years ago in the GBA and I remember only beating the first two/three worlds. Then before the release of the KH3 I played again the first game and saw 358/2 days cutscenes. And... before starting again the 2nd entry I got again in front of this game....

I started it back in September and I can bear with the card system. I really like card games like HS but I can get used to this one.

Yesterday, I somehow managed to beat the Sora's story and maybe tomorrow I will start the Riku's one. I don't like like the battle system and I guess I never will. I apreciate how it stands as one the most different systems throught the series. And I found it really satisfying when you manage to get decks with Sleights that tranforms in another Sleights when you re-roll. But I just don't enjoy it really much.

As you said, the story is for me what keep me interested until the very end. Since the ps2 days I wanted to see and know how the "disappeared" XIII members look like and how exactly the relationship between Sora-Namine was.

I need to beat the Riku's story, but for now for me the game has a good story, with a unique combat system that just I don't fit my tastes.

Edited by Kenji4333

• 1 month later...

Lol I just beat Larxene for the first time trying for the plat (I'm on proud mode and have 0 continues). I am actually really enjoying the game. It's mysterious and dark and I can't wait to do all the things.

But I can absolutely see why someone wouldn't like this game. Cloud kicked my ass and I was about ready to be done.

But then I realized... If I counter a sleight... they lose a card for nothing and they have to reload just like I do. So my strategy became...

Phase one: 0 them until they have shit for cards and can't sleight anymore. If I just drop a 0 to break their cards, I can reload mine and they can't reload theirs.

Phase two: After I've basically soft-locked them into constant reload, 3 hit combo them to death with all 9 cards. Makes it tough for them to break my card (technically doable) so almost all hits land, and I don't really have to worry about their sleights.