RPG Mania 2020 Edition ( Sign ups closed).

RPG Mania was such a success last year that 2.0 is here at last with a larger competing field, more points chances and best of all more RPG”S!!!!! 

Right now, I am looking for 19 other players to compete in the ultimate RPG challenge.  

Start Date will be Feb 1st Midnight Central Standard Time and will run until next Jan 31st 1159PM.  

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/afootball?iso=20200201T00&p0=788&msg=RPG+Mania+2020&font=cursive&csz=1

Signups begin with the posting of this notice and will run until full. Last year Signups were completed in a day. So you have to be fast to get a spot. I hope to see some of the faces from last years plus some new blood, which is why I am widening the competing pool.  @Psy-Tychist Are you prepared? 

So there has to be some requirements right, So here is what direction I am leaning in. 

Spoiler

1) Please have at least 6 months forum experience, not in general but on the current profile you are using. I say this because this is a yearlong event and having someone drop out because the they get deterred with their account and having to readjust afterwards is not something that I want to deal with. If you are competing, please also be sure you want to commit. Many other people would want to take this spot, so be sure.  

2) To determine what games qualify, it should specify RPG on this site under Genre on this site. You can get a waiver if you really think a game should count.  If you feel a game qualifies, just get two other competitors to agree and it will be allowed. I would suggest doing this before starting a game just incase. Your reasoning needs to come from a reputable site where other players will agree with the interpretation.  

3) Have Fun, talk light smack, give each other pointers. 

4) This is to just Platinum, not 100% to make a game count. But point considerations will be given for each individual DLC pack completed and 100% games that might not have a Plat because they need love too. Child of Light would be a good example for a 100% game and completing any one of the many DLC's for Neverwinter. 

5) The scoring system is not to be complicated, because I hate math. But most likely will put into consideration rarity, length, and how much was already complete before the event started. When you submit your game, also submit the score total. I will trust your integrity. Each month though I will do an audit to make sure everything is adding up right. 

6) I am not the solo decision maker, any disputes will be up to a majority vote. 

If you have any other suggestions or questions please don't hesitate to ask. 

Scoring

Spoiler

Platinum scoring would be a base of 100 + trophies - Plat rarity - percentage already completed before the event begins. 

0-19%: -0 points 

20-39%: -5 points 

40-59% -10 points 

60-79% -15 points 

80% +   -20 points 

Individual trophies can also be awarded points. As long as they were completed after the event start. 

Copper: 1 points 

silver: 2 points 

Gold: 6 points 

Adventures of Mana  100 base score + 68 trophy points - 26.01 completion rarity - 0 completion negation = 141.99 points scored 

Non Plat scoring base of 75 plus trophies minus completion rarity minus percent already completed 

DLC will be counted separately from the main game. Each DLC for both plat and non plat games has a base score of 50 points per dlc pack and add your qualifying trophies Then subtract the rarity of the rarest trophy and then the percent of trophies you have already unlocked before competition starts. If there are four trophies in the DLC pack so if you have already unlocked two then it is considered 50% complete. 

Side note to keep within the spirit of the event, this year I am limiting that just because the site says a game is an RPG does not mean its so. A lot of VN and other randomness seem to be under this genre. Any non RPG that gets submitted even if it is under the RPG genre gets a 5 point penalty.  

Bonuses. 

There are ways to really gain an edge and yes bonuses are added together to make good combo. 

Double point game. You are allowed two, and you are allowed one swap during the event. Declare them before or on the 1st of Feb. 

Triple point game. There is one triple point game. Declare it at the same time, it cannot though be in the previous category, and it cannot be swapped. 

Lets Play Bonus. Any game that qualifies for any of the following Let's Play Events earns you a bonus times 2 multiplier. This can be combined with a double point game or triple point game to give you a times four or times five bonus. 

Mugen souls 

Neptunia 

Omega Quintet 

Persona 4 Golden 

Persona 5 

Kingdom Hearts (includes KH3) 

Sword Art Online 

Star Ocean 

Warrior. Be careful here , some though such as One Piece have a genre of RPG so it would qualify. 

Yakuza. A few of these are in the RPG genre as well. 

Ys 

Beast Mode: 

beast mode game is worth an additional 25 points that accumulate with each title in the series up to 5 games in the same series.

example

KIngdom Hearts 1: no bonus

Kingdom hearts 2: 25 point bonus

Kingdom heats DDD: 50 point bonus

Etc up to 5 games completed in the same series

New game bonus is now a 50 point bonus instead of percentage. Remember that is a new game that is beaten within 30 days of being released. 

Other new options. Speed run bonus. If the game has already 100 people that have completed it, your completion is under the top 25. This gives you a 50 point bonus. 

Call Out Bonus: A competitor will choose a played or unplayed game from your backlog to complete. This will be another times 3 opportunity.  

he call out bonus will be assigned by bracket after the 2.0 begins. The two people competing can use each others profile backlog, or trophy checklist if one is available.  Completing the game gets a times three bonus added to the game. 

Adventures of Mana  100 base score + 68 trophy points - 26.01 completion rarity - 0 completion negation = 141.99 points scored * bonuses ( 2 (double point) +  2 (Lets Play)  = 141.99*4= 567.96 

Other Score FAQ’s 

Spoiler

You cannot receive a negative score.  If for some reason your subtractions would make you go below 0, that is where you would stop, but I do not think the situation ever came about last year. 

There is no stacking in the event. That also includes remasters or other editions of the same game from other regions or systems. The only exception is that if you completed a version before the competition begins. 

Spreadsheet and cool banner coming soon.

Edited by kingofbattle8174
  • Like 4

I'm interested in joining, but this will be my first competition event for this website, so I still a have a few questions.

If I am understanding correctly than

Rpg's I already started can qualify for points but only new trophies earned after the event started count for points.

So for example if I went back and played Tales of Bersia which I have currently have at 41% and got the platinum for it than only the other 59% would actually count point wise? Along with that there are potential points deductions based on the rarity of the platinum and other factors?

@fisty123 @AlterArchuria @Psy-Tychist @Armored_Oso66

Added

11 hours ago, Armored_Oso66 said:

Rpg's I already started can qualify for points but only new trophies earned after the event started count for points.

So for example if I went back and played Tales of Bersia which I have currently have at 41% and got the platinum for it than only the other 59% would actually count point wise? Along with that there are potential points deductions based on the rarity of the platinum and other factors?

That is correct, and the first time or two I double check alot to see that things are going smoothly. 

@SanctifiedSword

That stipulation, is for there are some people who start contests and then would change their account for what ever reason. If you plan on sticking with it and being consistent, I can make an exception.

https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/published.do?rid=ixno4a97fed3695ab42899128c3c65a7385a7

@ladynadiad @Dragon-Archon

This is the spreasheet you guys implemented, With your blessing, I will keep it going.

Edited by kingofbattle8174

2 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

That stipulation, is for there are some people who start contests and then would change their account for what ever reason. If you plan on sticking with it and being consistent, I can make an exception.

Yeah absolutely. I have no plans to change my account at all. 

Question though. I have Star Ocean: The Last Hope in my backlog, which is an incredibly tedious and long game to complete. Would it still be worth the same amount of points as a shorter game with same rarity/trophies/etc? Was thinking about starting it as a hyper challenge for the completion competition and merging it with the RPG one here as a challenge. But if it wont get a lot of points theres no use spending 400 hours on it when I could complete multiple other games in the same time. How does that work here?

Edited by SanctifiedSword

I think my Triple Point Game will be Persona 5 Royal.  That's still coming out later this year, right?  ?

My double point games will be Omega Quintet and Darkest Dungeon, both of which are sitting in my physical backlog pile (12 games -- all RPGs) at the moment.  What can I say, I'm apparantly a glutton for punishment.

Quick question:  How do bonus multipliers for games work when there are more than one of them that apply?  For example, I've got Omega Quintet as a Double Point game that also qualifies for a Let's Play Bonus.  So is it x2 for Double Point and x2 for Let's Play for x4, or does it reduce to +100% for Double Point and +100% for Let's Play for a total of 200% (or x3)?

Just trying to figure out if there's a way to layer things enough to get some ginormous bonuses for a single title.  Depending on how you want to do the math, there may be ways to make one game worth six or eight or ten.

Sign me up. I have quite a few RPG games that I want to play and clear out, so this will help motivate me. I probably won’t win but the real goal is to finish my games. Question though, do we need to report to you every time we start/finish a game? And if we have games already started that we want to work on, do we need to post what those games are and what percent they are at?