RPG Mania 2020 Edition ( Sign ups closed).

10 hours ago, cferguson9595 said:

Since you have Adventures of Mana as a Let’s Play bonus, does that mean Final Fantasy games also get the bonus? What about the Tales series? 

If there isn't a Let's Play thread/event for Final Fantasy or Tales, there isn't a Let's Play bonus for them.  On the other hand, there are enough titles in those series that you could get Beast Mode bonuses if you complete multiple titles during this event.

I was doing some thinking while lying awake late last night, and I want to bring up a game and have the discussion about its' eligibility here and now before the event starts.  According to this site, Gems of War is an RPG.  If you've sunk a lot of time into it like I have, you know this isn't really the case -- it's a match-3 puzzler with some strategy elements.

So why do I bring it up?  Because I think this is an example of a title that needs to be excluded from this event based on it not being an RPG but how it could seriously impact the scoring for this event.  My fear is thus:  Somebody who hasn't played a second of Gems of War could start this title and sink the necessary resources (time and effort, but also the potential for gobs of real money) into the game, declaring it as their double score or even triple score title.  Because if you look at the linked list, you've got a batch of trophies for the main game (100%, not platinum) and 20(!!) mini-lists for DLC.  And the way the developers work with adding a new DLC list every major update, we're due three or four more for the year of this event alone.

I'm a Gems of War "endgame" player; I'm only missing the lone trophy from DLC pack 20 at this point.  (Not very surprising; said trophy was designed to be a monstrously long and tedious slog as a direct shot at a particular game-streamer.)  So my potential gains from that title are limited, although I suppose I'd gladly take 4x50 or 5x50 event points over the next year for a game I'm going to continue to play.  But I worry that a creative competitor would aim for 75 points for the main list plus 23x50 or 24x50 from all the DLCs (current and planned future) and completely distort this competition, both the scoring and the spirit of the thing.

So just to have this out there.... can we agree to exclude Gems of War from this competition even though it meets the requirements under Rule 2 all the way up at the top -- being defined as an RPG by this site?  Because it's not, and because of what it could do to this event?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, acasser said:

If there isn't a Let's Play thread/event for Final Fantasy or Tales, there isn't a Let's Play bonus for them.  On the other hand, there are enough titles in those series that you could get Beast Mode bonuses if you complete multiple titles during this event.

I was doing some thinking while lying awake late last night, and I want to bring up a game and have the discussion about its' eligibility here and now before the event starts.  According to this site, Gems of War is an RPG.  If you've sunk a lot of time into it like I have, you know this isn't really the case -- it's a match-3 puzzler with some strategy elements.

So why do I bring it up?  Because I think this is an example of a title that needs to be excluded from this event based on it not being an RPG but how it could seriously impact the scoring for this event.  My fear is thus:  Somebody who hasn't played a second of Gems of War could start this title and sink the necessary resources (time and effort, but also the potential for gobs of real money) into the game, declaring it as their double score or even triple score title.  Because if you look at the linked list, you've got a batch of trophies for the main game (100%, not platinum) and 20(!!) mini-lists for DLC.  And the way the developers work with adding a new DLC list every major update, we're due three or four more for the year of this event alone.

I'm a Gems of War "endgame" player; I'm only missing the lone trophy from DLC pack 20 at this point.  (Not very surprising; said trophy was designed to be a monstrously long and tedious slog as a direct shot at a particular game-streamer.)  So my potential gains from that title are limited, although I suppose I'd gladly take 4x50 or 5x50 event points over the next year for a game I'm going to continue to play.  But I worry that a creative competitor would aim for 75 points for the main list plus 23x50 or 24x50 from all the DLCs (current and planned future) and completely distort this competition, both the scoring and the spirit of the thing.

So just to have this out there.... can we agree to exclude Gems of War from this competition even though it meets the requirements under Rule 2 all the way up at the top -- being defined as an RPG by this site?  Because it's not, and because of what it could do to this event?

This is why this time around I instituted a point penalty for games submitted that are not within the spirit of the competition. Because if you look at the genre page there are plenty of weird games like The little acre, life is strange, papers please and some vn’s that made it into there. My goal is to keep people from spamming those. If someone has doubts about a game, it is best to clarify before starting it so there are no ruffled feathers afterwards if you get called out about a certain title.  So how the point penalty works is that if it was a mistake, I may let the game count but it would not get bonuses and would take a point deduction. That is giving someone the benefit of the doubt for mistaking a title after it is done. And I would hate to see someones hard work go to waste. Usually I look to see what the majority says on the subject.

22 hours ago, acasser said:

Quick question:  How do bonus multipliers for games work when there are more than one of them that apply?  For example, I've got Omega Quintet as a Double Point game that also qualifies for a Let's Play Bonus.  So is it x2 for Double Point and x2 for Let's Play for x4, or does it reduce to +100% for Double Point and +100% for Let's Play for a total of 200% (or x3)?

So a game will have a game + the bonus- the penalties then multiply the multipliers. The multipliers are added together, so a triple game and a lets play would create a times 5 bonus. There is also the call out bonus, but I do not foresee a competitor choosing a double or triple point game to give you the opportunity to really cash in on it.  

1 hour ago, cferguson9595 said:

Thanks for the replies on the Lets Plays. Another couple questions though. Lets say I earn a speed run bonus and a beast mode bonus on a game that I declared double points on. Do I get double points on the bonus, IE 100 instead of 50 for speed run and 50 instead of 25 for beast mode?

You add the speed run and such to the base game, then see as above for further example.

@kingofbattle8174 

I'm surprised that you reopened this event. last year you left in the middle of the event and disappeared like you didn't care. 
I mean, some of us bought games to play in your event and suddenly you left and @ladynadiad and Dragon-Archon kept this alive.

If you're running this event again this year i hope you'll repect all the participants and be commited to this. Just my opinion.

Good luck to all.

Edited by ShinigamiSensei-

4 minutes ago, ShinigamiSensei- said:

@kingofbattle8174 

I'm surprised that you reopened this event. last year you left in the middle of the event and disappeared like you didn't care. 
I mean, some of us bought games to play in your event and suddenly you left and Ladynadiad and Dragon-Archon kept this alive.

If you're running this event again this year i hope you'll repect all the participants and be commited to this. Just my opinion.

Good luck to all.

It took alot of thought to decide if I wanted to run it again. At the time last year, other things needed my attention. Now that my schedule has become more steady, I can do the things that was enjoying before. Even with four classes going on this semester, I am still finding the time now to do the things I was before. I am sorry that anyone felt hurt by my taking time last year. I do not forsee that again, even any vacation I have will only be a short time here or there. I have also been really appreciative to those who did step up in my absence. Even without me there, I hope you had a fun time competing against the others. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

It took alot of thought to decide if I wanted to run it again. At the time last year, other things needed my attention. Now that my schedule has become more steady, I can do the things that was enjoying before. Even with four classes going on this semester, I am still finding the time now to do the things I was before. I am sorry that anyone felt hurt by my taking time last year. I do not forsee that again, even any vacation I have will only be a short time here or there. I have also been really appreciative to those who did step up in my absence. Even without me there, I hope you had a fun time competing against the others. 

I wish you the best luck this year pal.

I personally hope @Dragon-Archon is doing well too, we don't know anything about him since  October.

Edited by ShinigamiSensei-

4 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

This is why this time around I instituted a point penalty for games submitted that are not within the spirit of the competition. Because if you look at the genre page there are plenty of weird games like The little acre, life is strange, papers please and some vn’s that made it into there. My goal is to keep people from spamming those. If someone has doubts about a game, it is best to clarify before starting it so there are no ruffled feathers afterwards if you get called out about a certain title.  So how the point penalty works is that if it was a mistake, I may let the game count but it would not get bonuses and would take a point deduction. That is giving someone the benefit of the doubt for mistaking a title after it is done. And I would hate to see someones hard work go to waste. Usually I look to see what the majority says on the subject.

And this is precisely why I brought it up now instead of waiting a few days/weeks.  To get that advance ruling.

The scoring for this event or lack thereof won't prevent me from continuing to play Gems of War -- it's something I can play during the workday when I don't know how long I'll have in front of my console before my dispatcher and/or boss call again.  And I'll (probably) rack up any new trophies from this title from that play plus the one trophy I (and most of the universe) have yet to earn from previous DLC tranches.

But I don't think this is an RPG and I don't think it should count at all for this event.  And given the potential for huge numbers of points out of this one title, it's something I opine should get the kibosh now rather than a debate and partial scoring later.

Thoughts from the rest of our competitor base?

"A role-playing video game (commonly referred to as simply a role-playing game or an RPG as well as a computer role-playing game or a CRPG) is a video game genre where the player controls the actions of a character (and/or several party members) immersed in some well-defined world.

I would say that a match 3 game would not really fall under the category of "controlling a player character" at all, which is what all RPG games have in some fashion or another. I'd also say that a random board with tiles doesn't really fall under the category of "well-defined world" (of course in crap RPG's this can be debated..). Fun, definitely. RPG, it is not.

So... leaning on a vote of "no" for that game being a tried and true RPG. If it were, by that account, candy crush or something could be considered a RPG because you're navigating through levels trying to play a role of a candy crusher to save the magic princess. Or, something like that. You get what I mean.

Also agree that visual novels really aren't RPGs. It's more like watching a movie at times, not really playing the role of a character. Are there any point and click games under the RPG section? Hope not, not sure how I feel about point and click games either. 

23 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

ok we have our twenty. So by friday, consider what your bonus play games to be. By then the bracket will be on the spreadsheet of who you will call out. 

So is the bracket only for picking what game the other person gets for their call out bonus? Or do we have to get more points than the person to move on?

Edited by cferguson9595

5 minutes ago, cferguson9595 said:

So is the bracket only for picking what game the other person gets for their call out bonus? Or do we have to get more points than the person to move on?

So how I envision it. I will randomly draw the Matches for lack of a better word. Your competitor will choose game from your backlog, played or unplayed for you to beat during the year. Maybe it is a really hard game, or maybe one they just really enjoy and want to spread the love around. Complete the game to get a bonus. Now we could do it where the first one complete it for each group can advance, to get another game, and possible more points bonuses, but that was not the original intent. If there is enough interest I could keep it going that way. 

33 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

So how I envision it. I will randomly draw the Matches for lack of a better word. Your competitor will choose game from your backlog, played or unplayed for you to beat during the year. Maybe it is a really hard game, or maybe one they just really enjoy and want to spread the love around. Complete the game to get a bonus. Now we could do it where the first one complete it for each group can advance, to get another game, and possible more points bonuses, but that was not the original intent. If there is enough interest I could keep it going that way. 

I personally like it the way you originally intended. I think being able to complete the most platinums, or most hard platinums should count more than who has the most time to be able to grind out one really fast and rack up a bunch of points from multipliers. I’d rather lose to people who were able to get more platinums than me which is my intent for entering, clearing out as much backlog as possible (which is probably 30 RPGs alone).

Edit: I just lined up all physical copies of RPG games ONLY...43 games...

Edited by cferguson9595

3 hours ago, acasser said:

And this is precisely why I brought it up now instead of waiting a few days/weeks.  To get that advance ruling.

The scoring for this event or lack thereof won't prevent me from continuing to play Gems of War -- it's something I can play during the workday when I don't know how long I'll have in front of my console before my dispatcher and/or boss call again.  And I'll (probably) rack up any new trophies from this title from that play plus the one trophy I (and most of the universe) have yet to earn from previous DLC tranches.

But I don't think this is an RPG and I don't think it should count at all for this event.  And given the potential for huge numbers of points out of this one title, it's something I opine should get the kibosh now rather than a debate and partial scoring later.

Thoughts from the rest of our competitor base?

I don't mind it not counting since you played it and are making a case of its not a RPG from first hand experience so that would be the fairest solution and would avoid future problems if someone did make a case against it.

3 hours ago, SanctifiedSword said:

So... leaning on a vote of "no" for that game being a tried and true RPG. If it were, by that account, candy crush or something could be considered a RPG because you're navigating through levels trying to play a role of a candy crusher to save the magic princess. Or, something like that. You get what I mean.

Also agree that visual novels really aren't RPGs. It's more like watching a movie at times, not really playing the role of a character. Are there any point and click games under the RPG section? Hope not, not sure how I feel about point and click games either. 

I'm in agreement since there are some games in the RPG section which are clearly not a RPG that are listed such like the VN ones with no RPG elements (ie. Steins;Gate, Zero Escape, Murdered) and they probably shouldn't be counted just to be fair. Cause even with the point penalty it could still easily add up to some easy points and make a decent gap between competitors if someone chooses to use them all which would kind of take away some of the integrity to a RPG only competition.

Also I have a question, given that Persona 5 Royal is coming out in a few months would it count towards the Let Play for P5 or no?

4 minutes ago, AlterArchuria said:

Also I have a question, given that Persona 5 Royal is coming out in a few months would it count towards the Let Play for P5 or no?

That depends on if the person who owns that Lets Play adds it. Some keep up pretty well with updated titles, or there might be a new one created. 

7 hours ago, cferguson9595 said:

I personally like it the way you originally intended. I think being able to complete the most platinums, or most hard platinums should count more than who has the most time to be able to grind out one really fast and rack up a bunch of points from multipliers. I’d rather lose to people who were able to get more platinums than me which is my intent for entering, clearing out as much backlog as possible (which is probably 30 RPGs alone).

Edit: I just lined up all physical copies of RPG games ONLY...43 games...

I agree with this, just my opinion but I think double/triple and let's play bonus are more than enough as a way to get more points. Call out bonus is a bit too much especially if we can combine it with double/triple and let's play as well.