RPG Mania 2020 Edition ( Sign ups closed).

12 minutes ago, AdventFury said:

I also had a question about FF7. I currently have the OG on backlog and really want to play both the OG and remake this year. Does the FF7 remake fall under the remaster rule even though it’s a ground up remake?

I'm fairly certain it does since it falls under the other editions of the same game part of the rule since its still FF7.

33 minutes ago, AdventFury said:

I also had a question about FF7. I currently have the OG on backlog and really want to play both the OG and remake this year. Does the FF7 remake fall under the remaster rule even though it’s a ground up remake?

Last time around I believe Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force was allowed to count as a different game from Fairy Fencer F even though it's a remake. The reasoning was because it added stuff to the game. By that logic FF7R should count as a different game than FF7.

Disclaimer: I did not really follow the thread that much last year to see if this decision was overturned.

Edited by Milktastrophe
  • Like 1

This event seems really cool, I am too late to participate but I think I'll follow closely and try to see if I can get inspiration to sit down and enjoy the rpgs that I haven't gotten around playing.

Some really cool games are being put forward for the bonus points, good luck everyone and have fun.

1 hour ago, spykeralbersfan1 said:

So does anyone have any goals with rpg games this year mine is to get all stacks of the atelier series plated 

For me, I'm doing the entire dark souls series/bloodborne for another competition I'll merge with this one. By the end of the year I'd want to have every soulsborne game done (Code Vein as well) except Demon Souls cause I dont have the hardware for it. I really want to complete a couple star ocean games too. 

Also setting a goal to try and branch out my reach to new series I've never played before. I came from Xbox last year so Playstation just has so many RPG opportunites to offer. Goal is to complete the Neptuina and Kingdom heart game so I can end the year experiencing some new RPG series.

Good luck with the Atelier series. Another set of games I've never played. So much catching up to do for me these next years..

So here are my game bonuses

3X Star Ocean The Last Hope Remastered 

2X Star Ocean Till The End of Time

2X Star Ocean Integrity and Faithlessness

To bad Second Evolution hasn't released here in the US yet, i would have liked to play through them all in order, since I plan on playing the First Depature remake as well

4 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

Last time around I believe Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force was allowed to count as a different game from Fairy Fencer F even though it's a remake. The reasoning was because it added stuff to the game. By that logic FF7R should count as a different game than FF7.

Disclaimer: I did not really follow the thread that much last year to see if this decision was overturned.

As one of the people involved in that, it was decided to go to a vote and two people did vote to allow it because it had a significant amount of new content, and that was all that was needed.  It was also decided that Megadimension Neptunia VIIR and VII would not count as a being different enough for both to count despite added content because in that case the added content was just a few scenes.  Bear in mind we put it to a vote because that seemed the fairest thing in the absence of the original person organizing it being able to make a call on the intent of the rules.

And that is all, I have no horse in this race since I'm taking a break from competitive events.  Just chiming in to explain the ruling there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AdventFury said:

Personally I would be happy for it to count as its not a remaster but a completely new game.

• Like 1

So to give everyone a sense of scale, the top three of last years contest all completed between 35 and 45 rpgs. There was only a 200 point difference between 1st and second place. Less than a thousand for third. So very tight towards the end. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HqjuKni5Uc1vYquyEkyc6cpsoWB7X5WkmDbtXnBBVkU/htmlview#

@lordshiran

I can allow monster hunter world, since on a different site it is classified as a rpg

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/monster-hunter-world-iceborne-ps4/overview/

@cferguson9595

Metal Gear I do not find enough evidence to classify it as one, so unless someone else can give evidence or an opinion on it.

So for the speed run, i can scale it down, if there are under 100 players, see if you get into the top 25 percentile. So take the number of people that have completed it and times by .25. That will give you the number you have to come in under. If it comes up as a decimal round up to the next while number. 

@Leon Castle @Psy-Tychist

You are the only two i do not think i saw your bonus games.

Edited by kingofbattle8174

16 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

So to give everyone a sense of scale, the top three of last years contest all completed between 35 and 45 rpgs. There was only a 200 point difference between 1st and second place. Less than a thousand for third. So very tight towards the end. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HqjuKni5Uc1vYquyEkyc6cpsoWB7X5WkmDbtXnBBVkU/htmlview#

@lordshiran

I can allow monster hunter world, since on a different site it is classified as a rpg

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/monster-hunter-world-iceborne-ps4/overview/

@cferguson9595

Metal Gear I do not find enough evidence to classify it as one, so unless someone else can give evidence or an opinion on it.

So for the speed run, i can scale it down, if there are under 100 players, see if you get into the top 25 percentile. So take the number of people that have completed it and times by .25. That will give you the number you have to come in under. If it comes up as a decimal round up to the next while number. 

What about Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood. I think there is a compelling argument to be made that they could be both considered two of the first side scrolling action RPG games ever made

3 minutes ago, AdventFury said:

What about Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood. I think there is a compelling argument to be made that they could be both considered two of the first side scrolling action RPG games ever made

For SOTN there is a case definitely. For Rondo I am not sure, it reminds me of a original castlevania game, more of a standard platformer. But I will let others chime in too. See which way people sway. 

3 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

For SOTN there is a case definitely. For Rondo I am not sure, it reminds me of a original castlevania game, more of a standard platformer. But I will let others chime in too. See which way people sway. 

I totally understand that. The difficult part about it is that they are a combined trophy list 

Brackets are done, will be posted today, see here in a few hours.

@acasser vs @FreeSpark22

@scarishbal vs @SanctifiedSword

@Psy-Tychist vs @fisty123

@kingofbattle8174 vs @Leon Castle

@Armored_Oso66 vs @AffectatiousDonk

@AdventFury  vs @spykeralbersfan1

@lordshiran vs @Redbeard-Rik

@cferguson9595 vs @freddie1989

@Whitelightnin683 vs @Laburnski

@AlterArchuria vs @cckerberos

Edited by kingofbattle8174

5 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

I think I said them on the first RPG mania, I add them here as well.

2x point games: Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth

3x point game: Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen

8 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

That's an intimidating number.  It's also way more than the number of platinums I normally get in a couple of years, let alone one.  But I can always make some modifications to my gaming to push things along and attempt to keep my head above water.

Not that I'll be starting a new RPG at the crack of dawn tomorrow, or even the day after.  I'm halfway through the one non-RPG currently in my backlog pile and my OCD won't let me put it down until it's done.  Probably a week or two, but it gives people a chance to get the jump on me.