kingofbattle8174

RPG Mania 2020 Edition ( Sign ups closed).

469 posts in this topic

Just completed Secret of Mana. Had 17% completion going into the competition which I guess means I fall into the 0-19% -0 point deduction tier. If that is how I am supposed to read the rules.

 

100+64-19.72-0 = 144.28 points

 

Ferguson's Final Thoughts:

 

Fun, easy game ruined by monotonous farming for missable RNG based items and gear. Spent over a third of my playtime (31 hours total) farming for useless endgame gear. By the time you reach the final two bosses (point of no return) you are so over-leveled that it wasn't a challenge. I went into the final dungeon at level 64, came out at 94...still a timeless classic worth playing but only if you enjoy listening to your music playlist for 10+ hours while mindless moving your thumbs.

1 hour ago, Psy-Tychist said:

If Burly Men at Sea counts (see link), then I am on the board.

 

100 + 68 - 64.62 - 0 = 103.38 points

 

@kingofbattle8174 I have no problem with anyone saying that this game isn't an RPG, but it literally has no gameplay similar to anything else. It is like a pick your own adventure game which is the basis for all RPG's.

 

I just watched a 20 minutes of gameplay video on it, and I cannot come to the conclusion it is an RPG. I believe it is a hybrid of Point and click/VN/adventure games. But that is my opinion, maybe you can get some others to agree.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@scarishbal Sending me on a holy crusade eh? Well then, I shall send you on a nice broventure with FFXV so you can be inspired hearing Iggy come up with new recipehs. So I call out FFXV for you. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Whitelightnin683 I call out Monster Hunter World Iceborne for you, it has ultra rare plat and you also has a chance to get speedrun for another bonus so this is basically like I'm doing you a favor here 😇 Also since you platted the base game, this year couldn't be more perfect to start playing the game and plat it. Despite what Capcom said who knows they might change their mind and make another expansion like probably mhw fireborne or thunderborne or whatever "creative" title they can put on it OR mhw 2 like I said again, who knows right?! 🤔 And before that happen as a fellow monster Hunter player this is my way to spread the love of mhw iceborne and i would love to see you plat that game this year 😘 For that in advance congratulations for your upcoming additional big score from a very prestigious fun game and I wish you good "big" luck xD

Edited by Laburnski
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Laburnski said:

@Whitelightnin683 I call out Monster Hunter World Iceborne for you, it has ultra rare plat and you also has a chance to get speedrun for another bonus so this is basically like I'm doing you a favor here 😇 Also since you platted the base game, this year couldn't be more perfect to start playing the game and plat it. Despite what Capcom said who knows they might change their mind and make another expansion like probably mhw fireborne or thunderborne or whatever "creative" title they can put on it OR mhw 2 like I said again, who knows right?! 🤔 And before that happen as a fellow monster Hunter player this is my way to spread the love of mhw iceborne and i would love to see you plat that game this year 😘 For that in advance congratulations for your upcoming additional big score from a very prestigious fun game and I wish you good "big" luck xD

 

Love is spelt in such a evil way for you @Laburnski  😂At least Feb. has the rate up for crowns so there is no better month too 🤔

 

Finished Dragon Fantasy: Volumes of Westeria


100 + 64 - 35.46 = 128.54 + 50 = 178.54 Points

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlterArchuria said:

 

Love is spelt in such a evil way for you @Laburnski  1f602.pngAt least Feb. has the rate up for crowns so there is no better month too 1f914.png

 

Finished Dragon Fantasy: Volumes of Westeria


100 + 64 - 35.46 = 128.54 + 50 = 178.54 Points

 

 

Hey hey don't make ppl misunderstanding 😵 👊 OP, pls give this person 5k points penalty as a warning.

 

Also ty for mentioning that 🤗 i forgot that Feb - March there will be increased chance for 👑 . Better do mine too I guess after I'm done with saga 🤔

 

Speaking of Burly Man at Sea, as whether it's an RPG or not I vote no because imo it's just an interactive adventure game.

Edited by Laburnski
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/02/2020 at 8:14 PM, Redbeard-Rik said:

@lordshiran do you have a backlog list anywhere? Or just hit me up with a list of your rpgs and I'll pick one. Otherwise you're getting the witcher 😉 I've got some of my games listed In this thread or this is my physical game collection (just select ps3 or 4 under platforms) even if you dont see a game there I'm happy to buy it as long as it's not too expensive.

Sorry mate, I just come back from Italy where I spent my birthday (2nd of Feb)

I will write you tonight or tomorrow, I am travelling at the moment

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lordshiran said:

Sorry mate, I just come back from Italy where I spent my birthday (2nd of Feb)

I will write you tonight or tomorrow, I am travelling at the moment

How dare you have a life outside of gaming! Enjoy your travels mate.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So my first completion is Atelier aesyha plus the alchemists of dusk

 

So if my maths right

100-5+45-8.14=131.86

 

So I'm on the board

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Laburnski From one Capcom RPG to another, I call out Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen for you. I've yet to play this myself, but have heard some good things about it. Looks like I picked the right time to get back into MH. Many thanks for choosing MHW: Iceborne from my backlog and good "big" luck to you as well. 😊

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, acasser said:

 

 

I don't think Catherine is much of an RPG, either.  Nor did I think so when I played the original.

 

Then again, I'm a bit of an elitist snob when it comes to how I define RPGs.  And perhaps we ought to have a slightly broader discussion about how we're going to define the term with this competition going forward.  Just how does everybody else define an RPG, and how lenient are you in that definition?  Because it seems to me that this site's definition is akin to giveaways on Oprah Winfrey's old show, and that seems a bit broad to me.

 

Yeah I agree here, the discussion needs to be had as to what counts. Personally I think I only have about 10 or so RPGs to hand that would I consider as such but then I have just read that Darksiders counts which I wouldn't have thought about. I tend to think RPGs should be fairly lengthy games but it seems some random games that take an hour are also viable so I am lost on the concept.

 

PSNP considers God of War to be an RPG but I wouldn't have thought that myself, anyone to clarify?

Edited by freddie1989
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, freddie1989 said:

 

Yeah I agree here, the discussion needs to be had as to what counts. Personally I think I only have about 10 or so RPGs to hand that would I consider as such but then I have just read that Darksiders counts which I wouldn't have thought about. I tend to think RPGs should be fairly lengthy games but it seems some random games that take an hour are also viable so I am lost on the concept.

 

PSNP considers God of War to be an RPG but I wouldn't have thought that myself, anyone to clarify?

 

Just so that it's clear to everyone (as others have also made similar comments), no one at PSNP chooses the genres for games. All that data is pulled from IGDB.com.

 

IMHO, the rule as it currently stands is the best way of going about things in that it provides a clear, objective standard (even if that standard isn't always correct). Otherwise we have to try to come up with a clear definition of RPG (that manages to include both Western and Japanese RPGs, two very different genres) after the event has already started.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, cckerberos said:

 

Just so that it's clear to everyone (as others have also made similar comments), no one at PSNP chooses the genres for games. All that data is pulled from IGDB.com.

 

IMHO, the rule as it currently stands is the best way of going about things in that it provides a clear, objective standard (even if that standard isn't always correct). Otherwise we have to try to come up with a clear definition of RPG (that manages to include both Western and Japanese RPGs, two very different genres) after the event has already started.

 

Works for me, that means God of War counts and I am playing it right now without realising it does 😂😂

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Whitelightnin683 said:

@Laburnski From one Capcom RPG to another, I call out Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen for you. I've yet to play this myself, but have heard some good things about it. Looks like I picked the right time to get back into MH. Many thanks for choosing MHW: Iceborne from my backlog and good "big" luck to you as well. 1f60a.png

@Laburnski Sorry for butting in, but I see you got challenged with DD:DA but the last time you played DD was in 2012 (for the plat). Let me just say that DD:DA is one of my all time favorite games of the previous decade. I cannot tell you how much I absolutely LOVE that game. If you need to know where to go/what to do I'll verbally walk you through that game, I know it like the back of my head. Owned 3 copies of it for Xbox (100% across multiple accounts just because I wanted to do it over and over again) and bought the PS4 one to complete too. Holding out until March to complete it cause I'm using it for another event. Remember it's one of those games that you'll either love or hate though. Development team had a rough time developing it and the final product is almost 60% less content than originally intended, but it's still a hidden gem of a game. The developer admitted that his vision didn't come completely true and he chose to make Devil May Cry 5 over Dragons Dogma 2, even though he openly admits Dragons Dogma is his passion. So I'm crossing my fingers that now that DMC5 is done he's making DD2 with the knowledge he used making DMC5. Anyways, I hope you complete it cause I feel like it's a hidden gem most people miss but it's worth playing for sure. 

 

I would say Darksiders falls under the ARPG/Hack-and-slash genre. It's not like a typical standard RPG but has RPG elements sprinkled into it. Could go either way. To be honest I'd be shocked if it wasn't some sort of RPG: you control War, in a fleshed out world with a end goal, you get health/weapon upgrades/character upgrades, solve puzzles/explore and ultimately reach the conclusion of the games story. If people don't think it could be swayed as an RPG (at all) though then definitely would love to know now so I can change my gaming schedule around and get challenged with another game. xD 

 

As for my opinion on RPGs, I think that unless it's something you'd REALLY need to try hard to justify as an RPG (Like visual novels, puzzle only games or mobile-ish games like match-3's with no direct character interaction at all) then sticking with whatever PSNP says is just how it is, good or bad. Plus it kind of opens the horizons for people to play games they may already own which I have no quarrels with. I think it has to have: a concept of character development (solo or party), fleshed out world, upgrades (weapon upgrades, level up, stats or skill tree/branch/linear upgrades), story interaction (decisions/choices/or following some set storyline/cutscenes) and you must control the damn character, not have the game play itself or visually walk you through it. :P From there... if PSNP says it's a RPG then so be it. 

 

I'm sure we'd all like to see everyone complete lengthy RPG's with 40, 50, 60+ hours in them. Maybe if the event happens again, there's bonus points based on the average time it takes players to finish a game? I don't know exactly how that would work or be accurately calculated, but I do understand a person could spam 10 "1 hourish" RPG's in the time (for less points on average per game) it would take someone to finish a Tales, Yakuza, Star Ocean etc etc. game and earn less points for the hard work put into completing a 100+ hour RPG for a rarer plat.  

 

 

Edited by SanctifiedSword
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@freddie1989 Have you chosen a call out game for me yet? Just looking to plan out which game I want to do next.

 

@SanctifiedSword I would love for there to be a point bonus for longer games because those are the only games I plan on playing this event haha. Secret of Mana was the shortest at 31 hours, I plan doing Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life and Final Fantasy 7 which are about 40-50 hour plats, but after that, everything I want to do is 70-200 hours. I would much rather play quality games in my backlog and lose than spam 10 hour indie titles to win the event. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, cferguson9595 said:

@freddie1989 Have you chosen a call out game for me yet? Just looking to plan out which game I want to do next.

 

@SanctifiedSword I would love for there to be a point bonus for longer games because those are the only games I plan on playing this event haha. Secret of Mana was the shortest at 31 hours, I plan doing Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life and Final Fantasy 7 which are about 40-50 hour plats, but after that, everything I want to do is 70-200 hours. I would much rather play quality games in my backlog and lose than spam 10 hour indie titles to win the event. 

 

Sorry bud I think I have missed the idea of this event LOL!!

 

Can I say Fallout 4 as I have that myself and can get some feedback off you.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@FreeSpark22: Would you like me to just go through your trophy list and call out an RPG you haven't yet finished? Or do you have a backlog pile list that isn't included in there that you'd like me to sift through?  Or some other arrangement?

 

My backlog pile of RPGs is next to my console, which is nowhere near this computer.  So if you'll poke me through PSN, I'll give you a list of what's in there and let you know what my playing plans are for the near future through that avenue.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, freddie1989 said:

 

Sorry bud I think I have missed the idea of this event LOL!!

 

Can I say Fallout 4 as I have that myself and can get some feedback off you.

 

Sounds good, its the only Fallout game I havent conpleted yet (minus 76, we dont talk about that game).

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Redbeard-Rik I am happy with The Witcher.

 

Have you played Divinity Original Sin? I've finished it on pc and it's one of my favourite games. You will love it!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Psy-Tychist said:

@fisty123 Bayonetta? Castlevania: LoS? Any Atelier games?

Well the first two I have started but not finished and are on my list to finish one day.
Atelier games were on my to do list this year as I am way behind in the series. I am currently up to Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (Not including the plus games which I own all of them as well)

 

So bottom line I am happy with all three choices but with Atelier titles if it is anything before Atelier Shallie it will need to be the plus titles as I have done the PS3 versions up to this game, if it is any of the titles after it then I am fine with this as well.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cferguson9595 said:

 

Sounds good, its the only Fallout game I havent conpleted yet (minus 76, we dont talk about that game).

 

Yeah I have heard that is one to avoid

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, acasser said:

@FreeSpark22: Would you like me to just go through your trophy list and call out an RPG you haven't yet finished? Or do you have a backlog pile list that isn't included in there that you'd like me to sift through?  Or some other arrangement?

 

My backlog pile of RPGs is next to my console, which is nowhere near this computer.  So if you'll poke me through PSN, I'll give you a list of what's in there and let you know what my playing plans are for the near future through that avenue.

 

I'm working on a backlog list at the moment from my phsical and digital library. It's a bit of a mammoth task.

I'll ping you a list across over the weekend. Feel free to add me on PSN and send me some of your list across.

 

Actually, the adding on PSN goes for everyone in this thread, might be good to see what each other is up to.

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/02/2020 at 5:09 AM, Armored_Oso66 said:

Yea, there are actually a lot of games that I haven't had the chance of playing through, but as luck would have it I do own both ni no Kunis and FFXII so I'll make sure to get to them at some point.

 

Sounds great I think they are all awesome so I choose whichever one you want to play for you bonus. I think you have to pick one for me, whatever you like is fine. :)

 

On 03/02/2020 at 10:52 PM, fisty123 said:

I don't mind either way to be honest.
What game(s) or games did you have in mind?

 

So as the only other Australian in this I must say hi, besides it might get awkward if we just leave it till I randomly message you again on PSN in 3 months for our 6 month checkin. Anyway that is all I have for now, be well. RPG onwards :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.