RPG Mania 2020 Edition ( Sign ups closed).

18 hours ago, SanctifiedSword said:

I'm sure we'd all like to see everyone complete lengthy RPG's with 40, 50, 60+ hours in them. Maybe if the event happens again, there's bonus points based on the average time it takes players to finish a game? I don't know exactly how that would work or be accurately calculated, but I do understand a person could spam 10 "1 hourish" RPG's in the time (for less points on average per game) it would take someone to finish a Tales, Yakuza, Star Ocean etc etc. game and earn less points for the hard work put into completing a 100+ hour RPG for a rarer plat.  

I agree with you, personally I will plat only Rpg 50+ hours in length.

30 minutes ago, lordshiran said:

I agree with you, personally I will plat only Rpg 50+ hours in length.

Length doesn’t matter for me on rpgs because I’ve played some good ones that take less then 50 hours like cat quest, cyber dimension Neptunia four goddess online, revenant dogma and a couple of the atelier games take less than 50 hours and are good games to me it’s more about the story then time played

11 hours ago, lordshiran said:

@Redbeard-Rik I am happy with The Witcher.

Have you played Divinity Original Sin? I've finished it on pc and it's one of my favourite games. You will love it!

Well shit. 9/10 difficulty & 100 hours. Bring it on I guess. I will buy it in the next few weeks and start it next month. I will let you know what I think of it.

36 minutes ago, Redbeard-Rik said:

Well shit. 9/10 difficulty & 100 hours. Bring it on I guess. I will buy it in the next few weeks and start it next month. I will let you know what I think of it.

If you think its too much/too long let me know and I will chose another one. I don't think it's a 9/10. You need just to be careful with the missables. I am sure 100% you will love it.

14 minutes ago, lordshiran said:

If you think its too much/too long let me know and I will chose another one. I don't think it's a 9/10. You need just to be careful with the missables. I am sure 100% you will love it.

No it's fine, I'm just joking around. I'm looking forward to playing it.

• Like 1

@cferguson9595 Game added but you math was off. The trophies completed before the competition do not count for points. So actual score is 133.28

@AlterArchuria Look at you racking up the speed bonus's already. That is two in a row. 

@spykeralbersfan1 I count 130.86. I will relook again in a bit

So Some other points that were brought up.

1. Bonus for time. This was an option that was a possibility but there was no consensus that would make everyone happy so the option was removed before the competition began.

2. What classifies as an RPG? ok this is a subject that really is based on personal perspective. Some people might not see strategy games or other things as RPGS. I think the best solution is that where the game is classified here, playstationtrophies or truetrophies as alternates. If the sites all match up, then it is most likely an RPG.

So Burly Men at Sea here is classifed as an RPG, Playstation Trophies has it as an Adventure, and Truetrophies as a Visual Novel. Looking at the data and then how others feel is how the judgement will be made. So is Burly an RPG, Id say no. As someone pointed out, it is a sort of Vn/ Puzzle hybrid.

Edited by kingofbattle8174

Update:

Cat Quest II
Score: 100 base score + 68 trophy points - 0 completion rarity + 50 for new game bonus = 218
I think I did that right, it's a new game so the plat rarity right now is 0%

EDIT: would this also get the bonus 50 points for speedrun? I seen a post saying if it was under 100 people you can do some math and get it still?

Thanks

Edited by fisty123
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, fisty123 said:

Update:

Cat Quest II
Score: 100 base score + 68 trophy points - 0 completion rarity + 50 for new game bonus = 218
I think I did that right, it's a new game so the plat rarity right now is 0%

Thanks

I had to do a double take on that one. I was like "Wha? It's a new game?"

Then I realized it was the JAP version of the game. Nice job. 

16 hours ago, FreeSpark22 said:

I'm working on a backlog list at the moment from my phsical and digital library. It's a bit of a mammoth task.

I'll ping you a list across over the weekend. Feel free to add me on PSN and send me some of your list across.

Actually, the adding on PSN goes for everyone in this thread, might be good to see what each other is up to.

I'll do that.

And the adding on PSN goes for everybody in this thread as well.  Just don't make it a blank friend request or I'm liable to ignore and reject it.

I'm probably two or three weeks from getting into my first RPG for this event, but I am making progress on the Musou grind-fest that I'm playing through.  And after aggravating weeks like I'm having a work, sometimes beating the daylights out of puny peons is what the doctor orders.

21 hours ago, AffectatiousDonk said:

So as the only other Australian in this I must say hi, besides it might get awkward if we just leave it till I randomly message you again on PSN in 3 months for our 6 month checkin. Anyway that is all I have for now, be well. RPG onwards :)

Nothing wrong with a bit of randomness but hey ended up messaging me about Cat Quest II last night anyway :D

9 hours ago, SanctifiedSword said:

I had to do a double take on that one. I was like "Wha? It's a new game?"

Then I realized it was the JAP version of the game. Nice job. 

I was actually meant to write Japanese version next to the game but my local time was 8am meaning I spent all night playing this and forgot to do it.

9 hours ago, spykeralbersfan1 said:

Hey @fisty123 how is crystar it any good

Crystar is a hard one to judge, story is rather good and very dark, so many dark little things that just make you go yep this well written, artwork is nice, Characters are great as well and has a really good soundtrack that suites both the theme of the game and levels.

Where this game falls down a little is the gameplay, while the moves and fighting aresmooth and fun your fighting the same small handful of monsters non-stop for 3-4 floors per level and there is 4+ levels per chapter so your fighting the same set of monsters for 15-20+ floors. The backgrounds and landscape while nice only change when you go to a new chapter so your now fighting the same monsters and viewing the same landscape for 15-20 floors per chapter.
I have played many like this so you get use to it and does not worry me too much but most reviews on this game say the same thing, "The story is amazing the gameplay is not. "

Would I recommend it, yes for the story alone but it is dark; deaths. suicides this type of thing so it might not be for everyone.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 10:56 PM, SanctifiedSword said:

@Laburnski Sorry for butting in, but I see you got challenged with DD:DA but the last time you played DD was in 2012 (for the plat). Let me just say that DD:DA is one of my all time favorite games of the previous decade. I cannot tell you how much I absolutely LOVE that game. If you need to know where to go/what to do I'll verbally walk you through that game, I know it like the back of my head. Owned 3 copies of it for Xbox (100% across multiple accounts just because I wanted to do it over and over again) and bought the PS4 one to complete too. Holding out until March to complete it cause I'm using it for another event. Remember it's one of those games that you'll either love or hate though. Development team had a rough time developing it and the final product is almost 60% less content than originally intended, but it's still a hidden gem of a game. The developer admitted that his vision didn't come completely true and he chose to make Devil May Cry 5 over Dragons Dogma 2, even though he openly admits Dragons Dogma is his passion. So I'm crossing my fingers that now that DMC5 is done he's making DD2 with the knowledge he used making DMC5. Anyways, I hope you complete it cause I feel like it's a hidden gem most people miss but it's worth playing for sure.

Tx, i'll let you know when i need your help for that game later : D

I love the game too, its quite an unique experience back then especially the exploring part both day and night time. The night time especially make me tensed up ? like suddenly a bunch of skeletons appear from the ground, or wrath and such, not too mention how dark that was. Also beside exploring, i really love how devastating and awesome the spell in that game especially tornado and meteor ? Like you i too hoping for DD2 ?

I don't know how much stuff they added in DD:DA but i wish i can bring my old pawn from ps3, miss that one ? I guess i'll have to create it from zero again later

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Laburnski said:

Tx, i'll let you know when i need your help for that game later : D

I love the game too, its quite an unique experience back then especially the exploring part both day and night time. The night time especially make me tensed up 1f605.png like suddenly a bunch of skeletons appear from the ground, or wrath and such, not too mention how dark that was. Also beside exploring, i really love how devastating and awesome the spell in that game especially tornado and meteor 1f60d.png Like you i too hoping for DD2 1f44d.png

I don't know how much stuff they added in DD:DA but i wish i can bring my old pawn from ps3, miss that one 1f622.png I guess i'll have to create it from zero again later

Well if you like tense dark and exploring you'll probably like the new content, especially in the deeper levels. They did some changes through the base game but the meat of DD:DA is in the new area Bitterblack Isle which has its own enemies, music and "feel". It's tailored towards end game players, it's super dark, creepy and honestly I think it's what the whole game should have been like from the start. It helps expand the games lore too.They also added more customization options for players/pawns for the looks and stuff. Oh, also, a infinite wakestone so you can teleport around the map forever. Once you get enough of the teleporting crystals placed down, the game becomes a breeze to get to where you need too in an instant. ? 

On 2/6/2020 at 6:46 AM, Redbeard-Rik said:

I have the plat on this game, it was 100% worth playing. I do not believe it is a 9/10 difficulty but 100 hours is about what I spent on it. The only hard trophy is completing Honor mode which deletes your save when you lose your main party member(s). So just make sure to back up your save frequently, especially after hard fights. Also, do everything possible to earn all available XP. There is also a highly missable trophy, Sister of Mercy I think. There is a TON of misinformation about what speech options to select throughout the game to earn it. Many of the published guides for the game have some of the wrong speech options listed. So do your research because some guides will steer you wrong. Otherwise, you will have to do a speed run for that one trophy. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, fisty123 said:

Nothing wrong with a bit of randomness but hey ended up messaging me about Cat Quest II last night anyway :D

So random I didn't even know it was going to happen ?. It is disappointing the HK stack is not syncing yet...... I could have 2 more bronze. 

Congrats on the all nighter, pulling a 0% rarity on all the trophies and subbing it in time here is perhaps the ballsiest move I have ever seen in an event. I love it ?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cferguson9595 said:

I have the plat on this game, it was 100% worth playing. I do not believe it is a 9/10 difficulty but 100 hours is about what I spent on it. The only hard trophy is completing Honor mode which deletes your save when you lose your main party member(s). So just make sure to back up your save frequently, especially after hard fights. Also, do everything possible to earn all available XP. There is also a highly missable trophy, Sister of Mercy I think. There is a TON of misinformation about what speech options to select throughout the game to earn it. Many of the published guides for the game have some of the wrong speech options listed. So do your research because some guides will steer you wrong. Otherwise, you will have to do a speed run for that one trophy. 

Thanks for the tips. Do you know if the Guide on this site is correct?

@Redbeard-Rik If I remember correctly, most of those are correct. I believe the one listed under Hiberheim is wrong though. The point of the trophy is to select the speech options that show mercy and calm the paranoia of Madora. So context matters. If you pay attention to what the conversation is about and the speech option listed in the guide doesnt match what I just listed above, then its the wrong option. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spykeralbersfan1 said:

Anyone done shining RESONANCE refrain or Odin sphere if so how are they and how are the trophies?

Both are rather easy in terms of trophies, Shining Resonance did not have a couple of missiable trophies, if you play the refrain mode first up while it might be a tad confusing as certain party members will be on both sides but this mode will make it so you don't have to play through it a second time for a single trophy. I did it the long way and the second playthough was not that enjoyable.
Odin Sphere is an amazing game, but does have a lot of collectables, can be done under 40 hours.

Completed Bloodborne and the DLC today.

Base game: 100 +  53 - 10 (41% trophy completed before event) - 21.61 = 121.39

DLC: 50 + 12 - 31.57 = 30.43

Total score = 151.82

Base game: 33 trophies + plat, 14 earned before event in base game. 19 earned after (6 gold, 4 silver, 9 copper). 

All DLC trophies earned after event (1 gold, 1 silver, 4 bronze).