Why is the Plat an Ultra Rare ?

Plat isn't too difficult, but takes a good chunk of time and has several things that need to be kept in mind throughout various stages of the game. There is also a luck-based trophy, (The Storied Adventurer). If you don't constantly micro-manage the adventures and pay attention you'll miss it entirely, requiring you to get through a fair bit of the game again. If you have bad luck, you may not get some of the required adventures at all

There are also some technical problems. The game may crash every once in a while, and has plenty and fairly long loading screens, There are two bugs in the game that I noticed, none are trophy-related though.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 3

On 02/02/2020 at 3:48 AM, Bodyodorthegrave69 said:

Trophy guide on this site says it's a 3/10 difficulty, 80 hours.

How can the platinum have 2.51% rarity?

Are the trophies bugged?

People who have the plat, can you please share your opinions about the game.

Thanks!

It requires a bit of time and patience mainly because the loading times between areas can be really long (something which is the same on the sequel i'm currently playing) - you will basically need a good chunk of podcasts, books or things to do with loading screen time. It also needs two playthroughs, one of which would be a full 'do everything' playthrough, and the other would be a faster stealth based run as you can only kill a tiny amount of enemies. The low-kill playthrough also requires you to be very specific with your character build and choices to avoid as much conflict and flee from enemies as much as possible. There are some good guides around for that though so it's doable.

The other thing is what was mentioned by @voodoo_eyes above around the RNG based missable trophy 'The Storied Adventurer', but that is only really an issue if you don't pay attention to it from the moment you get access to that particular gameplay loop. By paying attention, i basically mean checking the menu for it every time you complete a quest and gain XP. It's not as tedious as it sounds once you get into the habit of it :) Also, you can technically miss out on this one if you don't complete the lower level keep adventures before you increase your keep level past a certain point - this PSNP Guide is a really important one to read before tackling it. If you go too high in keep level before getting the lower level adventures you have to mess about trying to de-level your keep to get them. I'd argue that this trophy is the make-or-break for whether you get the plat or not.

There is one trophy called 'Explorer' which means you need to enter every map in the game excluding the bundled in DLC content which can be a pain if you don't make a point of entering every building and cave you can as you progress. But it's also an incorrect trophy description as it does actually include all the locations in the DLC content too, even though it says it doesn't.

Even though difficulty doesn't affect trophies and you can play on any difficulty, there are some encounters which are difficult, even on the easiest modes - mainly the big dragon fights related to the 'Terror of the Dragonmarch', 'Among the Moss & Peat' and 'From the clouds to the depths' etc. 

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Working on this game right now, and Storied Adventurer is definitely one of those kinds of trophies that's just tedious for the sake of being tedious, there's nothing fun, interesting or challenging about it, it's pure RNG and essentially nothing else, which to me definitely explain the low percentage earned that particular trophy has

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
21 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

It's because it takes time and effort. A lot of trophy hunters avoid a game that requires that.

You are 100% right on the time and effort part. Even though it's a bit of an endurance test, I really loved this game. I also really liked that most of the cast of the long running tabletop RPG YouTube channel - Critical Role - did all of the voice work for the characters.

I definitely don't think it is everyone's cup of tea, but this game is quite meaningful for me because it got me back into the CRPG genre again. Next up I'm going to tackle either Tides of Numenara or play Divinity:Original Sin properly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
On 2/9/2021 at 8:31 PM, Elegy said:

It is because it is a pretty dry and boring game. 

Spot on. I'm struggling to even complete the final missions because I am so bored. The amount of needless reading to catch up on this convoluted story is ridiculous. It was a Kickstarter game, so I give credit to reviving this genre and despite some of it's shortcomings.

Hopefully PoE2 is better.

Edited by exsentry

On 24/01/2022 at 4:35 PM, pathtoninja said:

Spot on. I'm struggle to even complete the final missions because I am so bored. The amount of needless reading to catch up on this convoluted story is ridiculous. It was a Kickstarter game, so I give to reviving this genre and some of it's shortcomings.

Hopefully of PoE2 is better.

Perhaps it wasn't the best executed story, but I found the core concept of it very interesting, i.e. when humanity eventually find out that there is no god, what will happen?

I must admit that I skipped most of the dialogue intially, yet it got much more interesting as you started to uncover the truth.

RPGs are almost always dialogue heavy and should be the prime reason you play them in the first place. Having a good combat system next to it is just a bonus.

Why so few have the platinum is likely due to the game being extremely buggy on patch 1.08 and as far as I know, it's not possible to complete any trophy that has a tracker tied to it, be it recruiting companions or upgrading your keep unless you manage it in one sitting.

The reason I ultimately had to revert to patch 1.00 and in total spent some 130 hours for an otherwise easy platinum was because of just that, an incredibly buggy game coupled with loadingscreens akin to XCOM 2. 

I forgot to add that before I started the game, I asked a person that just had gotten the platinum how he circumvented the bugs that are present on 1.08. He replied that he played on the PS5, so one can only assume that the game works as intended on that platform. For everyone that plays on the PS4, I recommend that you downgrade to 1.00 and unlock every trophy except for Relative Pacifism. Once that is the only one left, you're free to update the game to 1.08.

Edited by Mellenthin
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/11/2022 at 7:05 AM, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

skip all dialogue in this game. saves time prevents glitches. then go youtube type in full story and lore of pillars of eternity explained or something, and do the equivalent of a reading book whilst you whoer your next plats lol. 

Why even bother buying the game then??? If you’re not skipping over 75% of the game all you’ve done is wasted your money.

• Like 3

On 15/05/2022 at 7:25 PM, JaySeeMicCall said:

Why even bother buying the game then??? If you’re not skipping over 75% of the game all you’ve done is wasted your money.

He's just salty that he cannot beat it even with a complete walkthrough whilst playing on Easy difficulty.?

• 7 months later...

I quit it because this game was a ton of reading, which I know is a part of RPGs sometimes but the delivery of information sucked because of the amount of lore to be digested within the first couple hours. It was also super boring to me and I started to hate the movement mechanics.

I gave it a shot because it was leaving PS Premium, but I'm glad I didn't spend more time on it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It's really funny that people are complaining that there is a lot of lore to read and point it as a drawback even though it's a cRPG game xD The best examples of the genre usually have a lot of dialogues to read (Planescape:Torment, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous) so it's rather you who don't like the genre rather than the game being bad. Maybe it's cuz I'm old, but I see more and more people can't handle some lines of text to read in a game. The games of this type are a bit like books, and it's a matter of preference if you enjoy it or not - this one is actually pretty digestible given that like 80% of the dialogues have voice acting so you don't even have to read much yourself. The first hours are a bit stiff to get into, but I find the setting very refreshing, and the mechanics pretty unique, which is a nice change after playing mostly DND-based cRPGs. 

As for the platinum difficulty, none of the trophies are particularly difficult on their own, but some of them (especially the adventure one) are fairly missable and require both time and luck to win. Also the game requires at least 2 playthroughs to do both the >1200 kill and <175 kill trophies.  

• Like 1