RAGE Review Round Up

TranceVance

The worldwide review embargo for Rage must have just dropped because a crop of reviews just appeared all over the Internet.

Unfortunately we weren’t graced with an early review copy so we can’t tell you how good the game really is but from the early review scores I’ve seen it looks like id Software has created quite the impressive shooter.

Though I have to say that I think the sales are going to suffer quite badly, trying to release a shooter in the middle of Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3, Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 is incredibly brave and while I’d like to think that a new IP will be rewarded by the gaming public I think it’s more likely that this one is going to disappear quite quickly.

EGM – 9.5/10

IGN – 8.5/10

GameReactor – 8/10

VGChartz – 9/10

Telegraph – 4.5/5

Joystiq – 3/5

Eurogamer – 8/10

OXM – 7.5/10

Those are the few I’ve found so far and if we take those and shove them through our highly unscientific calculator we get an average score of 8.2/10 but that’s mainly down to Joystiq’s 60% which sounds incredibly harsh for a solid title.

Some good reviews there, Friday can't come quicker :(.

those ratings are all over the place. I think most people are more disappointed in the time they say it takes to complete. guess everyone ain't a hunter. the Platinum might take a lil while longer. looks good though, something for My future gaming.

yeah the scores are nice to see but i encourage everyone to play a game for what it is and YOU make your own ratings... all-in-all those are not bad ratings anyway... I am convinced that i will like it and i cant wait to come home from work and break the seal and load it up... glorious indeed, lol

Scored a 7/10 from Destructoid. I was going to hold off on Rage for a few months anyway, but the Destructoid review points to similarities between Fallout, Borderlands, and Bioshock universes as negatives. It's a gorgeous game by all accounts, but maybe not the most original or fresh feeling game.

I would agree that its more of the same... about 20 min into the game i was waiting for a Claptrap to roll up and im not even joking about that... its Borderlands without the cartoon feel...

It is for sure fun and will be an experience all its own and with my limited exposure i will still give it a solid 8/10

I loved Borderlands and i hate to compare it but it just feels a lot like it... i cant mark it down because it feels the same as another game because Borderlands was GREAT and i would have given it about a 9.5/10

Scored a 7/10 from Destructoid. I was going to hold off on Rage for a few months anyway, but the Destructoid review points to similarities between Fallout, Borderlands, and Bioshock universes as negatives. It's a gorgeous game by all accounts, but maybe not the most original or fresh feeling game.

Reviews are completely biased.

You should NEVER listen to a review by any major company.

All of the CoDs are basically the same but they still score high yet RAGE has some similarities and knocks the score down?

I've played it for about 45 minutes so far and it's a great game, although 'id' need help doing engine/gear sounds. xD

Also, I especially liked the intro with the asteroid.

• Like 2

All of the CoDs are basically the same but they still score high yet RAGE has some similarities and knocks the score down?

I've played it for about 45 minutes so far and it's a great game, although 'id' need help doing engine/gear sounds. xD

Just started playing it myself. I agree, the intro was beautiful. My only problem so far is with texture loading, but other than that, it's an awesome game :).

I learned that long ago, trust me. But, honestly from the first moment I looked at sreenshots I thought, "hmm, this looks an awful like Borderlands..". It didn't take a review to reveal that. Frankly, I don't see Rage being compared to Borderlands/Fallout/Bioshock as a bad thing at all. Those are all great games and if Rage is anywhere in that class I'm sure I'll own it... eventually.

But to your point, reviews are garbage, but not useless. Consuming information (screens, trailers, in-game footage, developer interviews, reviews, etc.) and factoring in your own gaming tendencies in order to formulate a purchase decision is a learned skill. Filtering useful information in a review is a learned skill. Unfortunately most rely on a subjective review score to do the hard work for them.

Destructoid also gave Dark Souls a 7/10, but no review score can convince that game is anything other but awesome. Glad you're enjoying Rage, btw. :)

Although I do not have RAGE, the above quote is sound advice for ANY game, and one more gamers should adhere to. There have been many a great game that has been passed on because far too many read a bad review, and pass on the game; or obversely, purchase a terrible game because it gets good reviews by a major company or site.

Best rule-of-thumb:

Does the game appeal to you and your likes? If so, and you want to learn a bit more, ask actual gamers who have played the game of their opinions. Their opinions my not be the same as yours, but for the most part they are much more unbiased.

case and point

i agree... it blows my mind that they could come out with the same game and have it get so highly rated... in my opinion i don't like a lot of FPS (mainly cuz i suck at them) other than the Fallout/Borderlands types that i really enjoy... and i cant stand sports games but they seem to come out with a new Madden every year and its the same damn game... yet people buy it and play it and rate it high and blah blah blah...

I gave Rage an 8 because i have only played it for about 20 min tops... But i gave Borderlands a 9 because of the whole experience... i might not have given it a 9 if i had only played for 20 min though... i think Rage is going to be the same eventually but i just haven't gotten there yet... Rage has some amazing graphics and backdrops and i feel that people rated it lower than it should have and what i keep hearing its because "its the same as..." such and such... and even funnier is that if Rage came out before all the other post-apocalyptic games it would have gotten an easy 10/10 by everyone probably... so its just funny...

I think of God of War games too... all play the same and there are like 5 games in the series and yet people still buy them and rate them reasonably high... but when Dante's Inferno came out the first thing that people said was "oh, it looks just like God of War" but then it didn't get the same reviews as GoW even though i liked it more than GoW...

ok... now im just rambling.... but the point is for some reason people/critics want someone to reinvent the wheel... but if its not broken don't fix it right?

My encouragement stands the same... Play it for yourself... don't compare it to anything... make it a unique experience... and enjoy it for what it is... Im a gamer so just hearing the sound of the "BEEP" when my PS3 turns on gets me excited... but we have a tendency of taking gaming for granted... so stop it! This is a major factor for the reason why 9 times out of 10 i don't read reviews

• 4 months later...

Just bought this and I must say I'm very impressed with it so far!

I really love the action-packed shooting sequences, even if the plot can be rather dull at times. The wingsticks are just brilliant fun, and I think the game has some of the best FPS mechanics I've seen in a long while.

However, the texture pop-ins can be a bit of a pain, as the game basically draws each frame as you go. :(

I've just spent most of the evening playing the online road RAGE mode, which is very fun, although rather unbalanced for new players, because there are lots of people at lvl 20 with all the best upgrades and vehicle weapons. I was rather surprised that even though it has racing online, there doesn't seem to be any mode that lets you just race players around a track? since all the modes involve driving around a map and blowing the other cars to bits.

Other than this, it is a great game, and one you shouldn't expect to totally revolutionise the FPS genre. It just does what it does best, and that is its intense and glorious FPS gameplay :D

Overall I'd give it an 8/10 ;)

Just bought this and I must say I'm very impressed with it so far!

I really love the action-packed shooting sequences, even if the plot can be rather dull at times. The wingsticks are just brilliant fun, and I think the game has some of the best FPS mechanics I've seen in a long while.

However, the texture pop-ins can be a bit of a pain, as the game basically draws each frame as you go. :(

I've just spent most of the evening playing the online road RAGE mode, which is very fun, although rather unbalanced for new players, because there are lots of people at lvl 20 with all the best upgrades and vehicle weapons. I was rather surprised that even though it has racing online, there doesn't seem to be any mode that lets you just race players around a track? since all the modes involve driving around a map and blowing the other cars to bits.

Other than this, it is a great game, and one you shouldn't expect to totally revolutionise the FPS genre. It just does what it does best, and that is its intense and glorious FPS gameplay :D

Overall I'd give it an 8/10 ;)

Absolutely noticed this. Getting my win an online Road Rage match didn't seem harder than it should have been.

The biggest problem I had with the game was the Legends of the Wasteland. Lag was very apparent, and I generally have a good connection, and there is a glitch in one of the later ones that caused me to do it atleast 4 times. Very stressful.

The game was very fun, but I have to say ID software needs to stop riding on Doom and Quake. Grats, you made two legendary ground breaking FPS's, but it's funny how you don't bring up DOOM 3 or Quake 3... Just sayin.

• 1 year later...

Just beat this game and I have to say, it's really good. They are problems with pop-ups, but overall, it was one of the best FPS I've played in a long time.   ID was the company to pioneer the FPS and they're still making quality products.

It was a fun, if a bit shallow, ride. I gave it 3/5, review at end of post, but it was iD all over (in a good way)!

Just added this to my backlog of the bargain bin $7!! Well worth the wait. Since it didnt sell too good might not get a sequel :(

A bit of a shame, since the ending was unsatisfying, and the game itself was better than other games that have gotten sequels...

Man, that video was primative... I've come quite a way in the last year.

Edited by siuilarun