Have you ever been so determined to get a trophy you refused to give up?

charxsetsuna

4 hours ago, StressWithAnger said:

Rage five finger fillet final round. damn i raged. 

Man it's been a while since I pulled that off but I'm sure you could pause the game to see what the next prompt was? Like I said I may be remembering this totally wrong but I'm sure I used some sort of exploit to get it.

As Fr_0zt sid above, I'm a bit older now and don't really have the time for trophies like this anymore but I'm sure there are a few from my early trophy hunting days. One that comes to mind is getting 100% in the campaign of GTA IV. I spent what felt like a whole summer trying to complete all the races and stupid side missions you had to do, and at one point I broke one of my controllers cause I was raging so hard (first and only time I've ever done that).

Never got the platinum for it cause I couldn't be bothered with the multiplayer but I'm pretty proud of the 100% I got for the campaign.

If it's a matter of time, and insane amount of time, I'm not afraid to go for it. Currently I'm grinding Dragon Quest Heroes 2 and it takes ages. AGES. I don't even know when it will end. I've been killing the same 4 enemies for dozens of hours at this point.

If it's skill-based, depends. If it has bullshit mechanics, I give up, because my heart can't take the rage anymore. There was this moment in one of the God of War games where I think I have strained something in myself, and then I had to just stop. It's not worth the stress. 

Happened a few times during my trophy hunting sessions. The most recent one I think is the final babel stage of Catherine Full Body. I had platinumed the original game in ps3 back in the day by cheaply using two controllers to conquer the babel mode, because it was so much easier than solo. I then thought to myself I would platinum the remake by playing fair and square. I might have spent two full weeks replaying the final stage over and over, sometimes learning a new trick or pattern, others (the majority) utterly frustrated because I keep getting unsolvable walls (probably because I suck). Right when my sanity was about to breakdown, I was finally able to clear it. It was so satisfying and one of the highlights of the last decade for sure.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

Man it's been a while since I pulled that off but I'm sure you could pause the game to see what the next prompt was? Like I said I may be remembering this totally wrong but I'm sure I used some sort of exploit to get it.

As Fr_0zt sid above, I'm a bit older now and don't really have the time for trophies like this anymore but I'm sure there are a few from my early trophy hunting days. One that comes to mind is getting 100% in the campaign of GTA IV. I spent what felt like a whole summer trying to complete all the races and stupid side missions you had to do, and at one point I broke one of my controllers cause I was raging so hard (first and only time I've ever done that).

Never got the platinum for it cause I couldn't be bothered with the multiplayer but I'm pretty proud of the 100% I got for the campaign.

yeah the multiplayer was rough. 100% campaign looks good.

• Like 1

Yep, a few come to mind but the one that stands out for me is "Is there anything you can't do" from Trials Fusion.

Took me a long time (yeah, looking at you Top Roach) but it was totally worth it.

Also still working on the Super Meat Boy plat. The final 2 no-death runs are staring at me :-)

Basically, I do not give up and when I set my mind on it I will get it no matter what.

Edited by YosemiteSam74
  • Like 2

A few. I'm below average in terms of skill-set, just very determined and committed to 100% my games, so I'm not ashamed to admit some bosses in not terribly difficult games were a pain. Some of these I struggled, others required multiple tries or just grinding out pointlessly. I'm my own worst enemy!

Ghost Recon Wildlands

As a game, I don't mind Wildlands. It's...okay. However, the achievements/trophies are insufferable. The collectible/complete everything grind is glitchy and takes 20-30 hours post-story, which is around 30-40 in of itself. The game as a whole is so repetitive, and this only continues in the end game. The DLC was even worse - the entire DLC was basically a complete everything grindfest. Didn't help that collectible tracking barely worked - some areas would say 7/6 collectibles and you've had to figure out where the actual '7th' collectible was in another region, where that tracker was also wrong. If this was me, now, I probably wouldn't have bothered getting 100% in this game as it was an utter chore. 

Limbo

The famous "complete the game in 1 sitting with no more than 5 deaths" trophy/achievement. Look, this isn't too difficult - I've done it 2 or 3 times as this is a favourite of mine and I revisit it every now and then. However, it took me 8 attempts the first time I did this (ironically my successful run was a deathless run...)

Little Nightmares

Similar to the above - Hard to the Core isn't too bad, but can be challenging. Also an extremely stringent time limit on your hands. I loved this game and wrote a walkthrough for it so I simply had to get through this mode. Took me 4 attempts, and is one of the most rewarding achievements I've earned (I did it legit as cloud-saving on Xbox is untrustworthy and cheesing it was effort).

God of War (2018)

The final Valkyrie took me around 2-3 hours. Was the last thing I needed for the Platinum, no way was I giving up. I called it quits, went to bed, and got it 2nd try in the morning so I was probably overthinking it

Resident Evil 7

21 Survival + (DLC) was testing. It's not insanely difficult, and only took 4-5 attempts (easier each time as you get more cards to work with), but every attempt was 1-1.5 hours and the tension was unbelievable. I was shaking with nerves as I reached the last opponent on my successful run.  Superb mode requiring all your attention. A lot of people struggled with Ethan Must Die - funnily enough, I got this 4th try. 

BioShock Infinite

This is now my joint favorite game of all time (alongside Half-Life 2). The base game isn't that hard, but the CitC DLC was a pain as on Xbox One you have to do it legit - the glitch doesn't work. Raven's Dome. Round Thirteen. My Christ, I spent 5-6 hours on this. I just couldn't get it to recognize a kill using the decoy tear. So infuriating, especially since I had to get through twelve waves EACH ATTEMPT.  Again, this was the last thing I needed before unlocking every achievement so no way was I giving up...

Titanfall 2

Becomes the master...need I say more? Took around 3 hours.

Forza Horizon 4

Update 14 DLC. This isn't difficult, at all, but you need to log on pretty much every day for 20 days to complete the playlist and it is an utter chore in an otherwise stellar game. I  adore this game, and wanted to retain a 100% I worked 150+ hours on. I wish I didn't have the compulsions I do in retaining 100%... 

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 2

Ý Gran Turismo 5: Get gold medals in all races. The Vettel Challenges were the most difficult ones. But besides that i struggled with 10k drift points in one drift race too. Or even complete a lap in a SLS AMG on the Nordschleife in 7 Min 5 Sec took several attempts too...

God of War PS3: trial #10 of the Godly Challenges. I gave up after 6 hours non stop failing it. 2 weeks later i did it in an hour...

Battlefield Bad Company: kill 10.002 enemies in online ranked matches. I hated every minute of it yet i was determined to go through. Played nearly 400 hours online for all online trophies over the entire summer in 2017...

Rayman Legends: reaching the Final Level of Awesomeness took 3 months of grinding points as i got a Silver or a Gold Medal in most of the challenges. This is compared to the other titles the easiest yet something frustrating to know it'll take ~ 3 months to reach...

Uncharted 3: i played already 100+ hours online when i reached the point of needing 1 more treasure for the last trophy at all. I waited 50 hours for this treasure. In the meantime i even got the 2nd last treasure i found 5 times in total :(

Quest of Dungeons: a Dungeon Crawler which is an ok game but why did they change the Gold Coins Collected Achievement when they released the game on PS4? instead of 10 hours you have to grind 50 hours :( 13 playthroughs 3 hours each with the Assassin Hero on High Difficulty were boring. Even though they had a little variance as all dungeons are created randomly. I muted my TV after 1 playthrough as i couldn't endure the music anymore :P

Bleach Soul Resurreción: a cool game adapted from the Anime but grinding 19 heroes to lv max wasn't fun. I repeated the same mission dozens of times with every hero for probably 50 hours or more... and then i had to complete all 28 side missions with each hero... urgh...

Edited by Evil_Joker88
  • Like 2

Red Belt Master in EA Sports MMA. The game wasn’t particularly popular and I had it from opening day, meaning at the time I was initially pursuing this trophy, nobody really understood how many online fights were required. By the time I understood, I was in too deep to back out. I would take a month off playing here and there, but ultimately I got the trophy and the platinum after 3,000+ online fights. 

• Like 2

In my case it wasnt a Playstation, but a Xbox game. It's called Happy Wars and is F2P.

I got it thinking, nice a free game and some achievements, which were not that difficult or grindy to get. Fast forward half a year and it gets a title update + new achievements, some grindy as hell, which quadrupled my initial 100% time. 

Yeah fuck that game. Never paid money but way too much time...

• Like 1

Everytime that I have to "boost" the Become a Legend mode trophies on Pro Evolution Soccer. Cant be more boring...

As others have said, skill-based trophies are not bad, you can see them as a challenge, but endless grind time... that is awful, and you ask yourself "what am I doing with my life...".

As long as I feel it's possible for me, I will do a trophy, no matter how long it might take. But the real pain in the ass trophies are the ones in my trophy cabinet.

• Dragon Ball Xenoverse took a shit ton of time to grind just because of its awful RNG system. The bloody thing was infuriating.
  • Assassin's Creed's Brotherhood's multiplayer trophies were hell. Not only did you have to put up with terrible servers that booted you out for no reason, you also have to take into account the fact that some trophies required massive cooperation and other required a shit ton of grind. Oh, and you couldn't have people in your session unless they were from the same region as you. So that was nice.
  • Catherine... oof, that one was just bloody hard as hell. Even with a video guide, it took me ages.

As of right now, I have 4 games I have yet to get the Platinum trophy for.

• Dragon Ball FighterZ requires an absolutely maddening amount of grind, so I'll just let it grind itself out with the weekly zeni drops.
  • Persona 4 Arena Ultimax requires you to have Bruce Lee-like reflexes to get through the combo challenges.
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Session's trophies are just insanely hard.
  • Devil May Cry 5 just raised the difficulty level to 11, so I'm obviously also not getting that one.

• Like 2

2 games that I can think about now.

1. Grid 2 - This is the type game I will not touch now by just looking at its trophy list and those DLC trophies. It was PS+ free game on PS3 in 2014. I didn't really care about trophies that much at the time. I just want to play a racing game. However, this game is super glitchy on trophy, some story related trophies will not pop, that means second play through is needed. I managed to finish all the story related trophies and some malicious trophies. Then, I decide to take a long break.  4 years later I re-vist the game, and planed to use my second PS3 to self boost all online trophies. Since multiplayer is pretty much dead, I can easily get it done. What left are some time limited trophies which I wouldn't be able to do it. After few tries, I decide to take second long break. Finally in September 2019, I conquered last 2 time limited trophies, and got the platinum which I never thought I will ever get.

2. Battle Islands: Commanders - This is a free to play game, I got it by mistake. I thought this is an easier one without platinum. After the first trophy pop, I realized I got the wrong game. Since I can't remove the game from my list, the only choice I had is keep going. I remember every morning before I went to work, I would spent 20 mins to play few match and check alliance. In order to progress the game, I constantly updated my squad. I ended up doing pretty well as a player without purchasing micro transaction. I even unlock "Operation Neptune" before they lower the requirement. I still remember the excitement after I unlock it. After I won 1000 battles, I was officially done with the game. Since I was doing pretty good in the game, after I stop playing. I still receive messages regard to asking me to join their alliance. 

Time Crisis Razing Storm 

I sat down 12 hours straight until I got 3 Million points playing it over and over again (one run is like 20 minutes). 

The next day I did the same for all Sentry Mode trophies, which took me 8 hours. 

And the following 4 days I did the huge online grind. 

I achieved the platinum in 6 days and 3 hours and it took me about 90 hours of playtime.

1 minute ago, SlimSanta94 said:

I've refused to give up on getting the platinum trophy on Crypt Of The Necrodancer.. It'e been nearly 3 years and i'm only one trophy away.

Keep going. That's a truly impressive Plat. 

• Like 1

PS3's Uncharted 3 "Collector and Hoarder" trophies were tied to a random treasure drop.  I'm missing these 2 trophies and now with the servers closed, I'll never 100% it.  I played this game for 2 years straight and I kept getting duplicates and never the ones I needed. I even played every weekend they announced it was a rare treasure drop and would spend close to 35+ hours on a weekend going for it. Nothing. When it was announced they were closing the servers in 2019, I hopped back on and attempted this for an entire month and a half straight. Never got them. It was disappointing because I saw that 40-50 players were getting them every day. To this day, I've wasted over 2 years of my life going for them and never got them. Damn you Naughty Dog!

Edited by trojbrown40
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, PhantomFear94 said:

Resident Evil 7

21 Survival + (DLC) was testing. It's not insanely difficult, and only took 4-5 attempts (easier each time as you get more cards to work with), but every attempt was 1-1.5 hours and the tension was unbelievable. I was shaking with nerves as I reached the last opponent on my successful run.  Superb mode requiring all your attention. A lot of people struggled with Ethan Must Die - funnily enough, I got this 4th try. 

I know your pain. I haven't played Black Jack in real life since, this DLC ruined it for me. Ethan Must Die was just as bad. I had no health and fired every bullet into the wife. Never had I stressed so much before cause I knew that if I died, I'd have to do it all over again.  I killed the wife with my last bullet in my gun. I had never been so happy to get through that and it took me 8-9 tries before that.

Resident Evil 2 Remake DLC where you are trapped in the gas station was just as nerve racking. I was 11 away from 100 kills, health in the yellow, low on ammo, got knocked to the ground and thought I was going to die. I saw feet and legs all around me. When I stood up, I had less than a second to fire off a single shot and I hit the guy with the explosive tank on his back. It killed everyone in the room and I passed. So stressful!

Payday 2: Crimewave Edition's What, You Want Me to Dance? You have to complete the Scarface heist, in stealth, in 13 minutes or less on Mayhem difficulty or above.

Jesus fucking christ. I had a team of 3 other really good players, and it took us EIGHT HOURS of constantly trying this heist again and again to get this. One of the hardest things I had to do in that shitty game, by far. In the end it comes down to luck too, since you have to open all these yayo packages to find a device that draws out the dude you need to kill, and it could be anywhere. The time we got it, we just got lucky and it was in the second package I opened. Worst shit ever, but we did it. Somehow.

Second place goes to Killzone Shadow Fall's Like A Boss. I'll say it, I suck at at FPS's. Elite difficulty on Shadow Fall was one of the hardest things I've had to do in any video game, ever. I nearly ran out of deaths at the end, even with the exploit that lets you quit out when you die, and it was just such a goddamn mess. Took me days, but again, I did it. It's in my trophy cabinet for a reason.

The Empty Pockets trophy from Orcs Must Die Unchained comes to mind. A true platinum breaker, this measly little silver trophy required way over 200 hours of dedicated farming to get it after every other trophy was already collected, and this was the last standing between me and the rarest platinum I have earned so far. Farming the same level hundreds of times, each run taking an average of 11-12 minutes of optimized and highly concentrated killing of the same waves of enemies, the only fun to be had was to optimize the coins earned and the experimenting with new strategies. Most monotonous grind I had ever done until I unfortunately stumbled upon Nioh, which turned out to be even worse. I really wanted the OMDU platinum though and refused to give up on it, so much so that I, like others who braved this test of endurance, did as much of it as my brain could endure to finish it before the date of the announced server closure arrived. Shoutout to the other souls who sat with me through this task a year ago, strategizing and optimizing our challenges together to make it a little bit easier to endure.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 1

In Dishonored 1, basically all of the Dunwall City Trials trophies. Some are slightly better than others, but they're all firmly in nightmare territory. The worst for me were "By My Hand Alone" and "Daredevil." That last one was especially horrid--not only do you have to put in lots of practice, but you have to wait and wait and wait for the right combination of checkpoints to spawn (and then hope you don't screw it up). Those two trophies alone took me weeks.

• Like 1