How enjoyable is this without friends?

I'm quite interested in Monster Hunter but have no friends playing it. That's fine, I largely prefer playing on my own and so I have two questions for veterans out there.

1. Is this game easy (relatively)/playable/fun when playing solo?

2. Although I prefer solo, I do like the occasional "drop in" multiplayer in games that have decently functioning online systems. Is it easy/convenient to play with randoms?

Yeah it's still really fun solo. You can play the whole game solo if you want, it's just a bit more challenging. You also don't directly need friends on psn to join other people's games, so yes it is very easy and convenient to do so. All you do is choose which hunt you wanna join from the hunt journal/hunt board/whichever and simply join an ongoing one. Couldn't be easier. Also the community as a whole is incredibly friendly and willing you teach you anything you need help with. Never been involved in a more friendly community.

The game isn't too hard solo, but it is slightly more challenging when not playing with other players (for the most part). With the addition of Iceborne, a strong armor set (accessible from literally the beginning of the game) and a new weapon tree (for each weapon type) were added into the game specifically for people to have an easier time and to get to the expansion much faster. So the base game actually got easier, but you don't have use said equipment to make it easier on yourself, if you prefer the original challenge.

With that said, the game is a lot of fun, and also surprisingly a lot of fun can be had when playing with randoms. Playing with other players is super accessible; you can use what's called an "SOS Flare" any time during any quest (with the exception of main story quests where you need to watch all available cutscenes first, but the game lets you know when the feature becomes available). This allows you to let other people join and drop into your quest, and of course, you can do the same thing by joining other players' quests while their SOS is active.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChunkyKong64 said:

Yeah it's still really fun solo. You can play the whole game solo if you want, it's just a bit more challenging. You also don't directly need friends on psn to join other people's games, so yes it is very easy and convenient to do so. All you do is choose which hunt you wanna join from the hunt journal/hunt board/whichever and simply join an ongoing one. Couldn't be easier. Also the community as a whole is incredibly friendly and willing you teach you anything you need help with. Never been involved in a more friendly community.

1 hour ago, chellesan said:

1 i think this game can be fun when playing solo, but will be more difficult offcourse

2 playing online is pretty easy, you can always ask help from randoms or you can join them if you looking for sos rooms

1 hour ago, SkyesUnholy said:

The game isn't too hard solo, but it is slightly more challenging when not playing with other players (for the most part). With the addition of Iceborne, a strong armor set (accessible from literally the beginning of the game) and a new weapon tree (for each weapon type) were added into the game specifically for people to have an easier time and to get to the expansion much faster. So the base game actually got easier, but you don't have use said equipment to make it easier on yourself, if you prefer the original challenge.

With that said, the game is a lot of fun, and also surprisingly a lot of fun can be had when playing with randoms. Playing with other players is super accessible; you can use what's called an "SOS Flare" any time during any quest (with the exception of main story quests where you need to watch all available cutscenes first, but the game lets you know when the feature becomes available). This allows you to let other people join and drop into your quest, and of course, you can do the same thing by joining other players' quests while their SOS is active.

Thank you for these replies, you've pretty much finished selling me on this. I've been pining for a nice, grindy game to tide me over for a few months and this seems to be the perfect one.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, KKrischanz said:

Thank you for these replies, you've pretty much finished selling me on this. I've been pining for a nice, grindy game to tide me over for a few months and this seems to be the perfect one.

It's definitely the best grinding game out there since the grinding is actually incredibly fun. You'll have a blast. 

• 1 year later...
On 05/02/2020 at 10:31 AM, KKrischanz said:

I'm quite interested in Monster Hunter but have no friends playing it. That's fine, I largely prefer playing on my own and so I have two questions for veterans out there.

1. Is this game easy (relatively)/playable/fun when playing solo?

2. Although I prefer solo, I do like the occasional "drop in" multiplayer in games that have decently functioning online systems. Is it easy/convenient to play with randoms?

Feel free to add me, I've finished the story and up to Guiding Lands and still need to hunt a bunch of crowns. In answer to your question though, it is still very enjoyable solo but a lot of fights will be much harder.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a blast playing this with friends, but would tend to do missions twice alot of the time because people wouldn't be on at the same time etc, and there were 5 of us..Doing hunts twice was great for materials :D

At the same time, playing 'solo' is very fun & challenging. SOS flare or joining quests via SOS is so integrated and simple that its not really a problem if you want to play with other people too

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The game is ok solo, just quite repetitive to grind it alone.

I will warn you that even with great internet I’m running into being kicked and so is my friend. It was an issue a year or so ago according to Reddit and it seems like it’s iceborne that might be causing it. I played the entire regular game in 20 hours with him with zero kicks and we can’t even stay connected in iceborne. We both have strong internet so don’t understand it at all.

So if you do solo Iceborne, it may be better lol

Edited by Dangisuckatgamin