Guide of the Year Awards 2019 - Results!

BlindMango

3 minutes ago, ZoutjeNL said:

Congrats on the winners! Very nice that @Optinooby got the recognition he deserves. Some top notch guides! 

Seconded! Always happy when @Optinooby or @optimusmart is on a guide. Easy to follow and usually far quicker than most other trophy guides for the same game. A phenomenal amount of effort and playthroughs must go in to getting it down to beginner level so well.

Congrats to all the winners! There were a ton of great guides this past year.

Also, a huge Thank You to the folks who nominated guides that I was a part of. I was very stunned to see that a couple of the ones that I wrote/co-wrote made it in the top three of a couple of the categories.

Edited by Z-Yux
Added the "Thank You" message.
  • Like 2

Am I wrong or people could only vote for two weeks? I only saw a dozen of comments in that topic and I noticed votes were up because someone mentioned my guide - and it was already closed for more comments.

It used to be open all December, now all these winners were based on 3/4 votes and Likes? That's greatly accurate ;)

11 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

Am I wrong or people could only vote for two weeks? I only saw a dozen of comments in that topic and I noticed votes were up because someone mentioned my guide - and it was already closed for more comments.

It used to be open all December, now all these winners were based on 3/4 votes and Likes? That's greatly accurate ;)

Nah, the nomination thread has always been closed after two weeks. Usually, nominations are down to a trickle after the first week, so it doesn't really make sense to keep it open much longer.

2 hours ago, Platisfaction said:

Nah, the nomination thread has always been closed after two weeks. Usually, nominations are down to a trickle after the first week, so it doesn't really make sense to keep it open much longer.

If it's true about being open for 2 weeks, It would make more sense to open a full month and promote the nomations thread. There are thousands of guides every year, most players check on those that are currently playing at that moment (for instance, a guide from January won't be remarkable as one released on October), a game few people played is not notorious as a blockbuster game. At least give writers a chance to show their work, cause it seems to me that all my effort writing a guide to explain and help other people was simply useless.

I see a particular game in this Winners that doesn't have much detail, the person who wrote the guide doesn't even have the platinum and gave a high difficulty for an average game. It's like someone that watched a video on YouTube explain a mechanic and simply pasted it all here. And voila, here's your Winner badge based on 2 or 3 votes. I'm sorry being honest about this, but after my last guide, I don't see the point of "wasting" time writing a detailed guide.

Edited by TurtlePM
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

The nominations thread was promoted on top of all the forums for the same two weeks it is every year.

That’s not at all how I voted on guides but that’s interesting that’s how you think voting goes. 

Did you write the guide to write a guide or to win a contest?

My conversation here is about the event, it's not about Your particular parameters to vote. I didn't have a chance to vote on guides I found interesting and I bet you didn't open half of the list of the games to compare guides and make your decision. And I understand, nobody is interested or have time to read, at least, a quarter of each guide, but two weeks doesn't make things easier either. Games pop on their head and they leave a comment.

It's not about winning a "competition" - I like this Event to check other people's work. And, as you might expect, I don't think it's correct a Guide with a single trophy, with the lowest effort of pasting a video play through of a level from Another YouTuber, being one of the Winners in that category, when you have hundreds other guides with more detail and time invested not even being noticed. It's the best someone opens a thread in the game forum like Bad Driver and publish his video.

And that's my discussion here: guidewritters need to be more noticed. @BlindMangoopens a thread about miserable ribbons, something new to the site, everyone shares their opinion, he reopens the thread for more attention, nothing has been done, its OK to people lose their minds. Annually there's a Guide thread for noticible writers and guides and 2 pages of comments is enough to close the thread and publish the winners? I already knew the winners from the first page, I didn't need to wait 2 months for the results.

I suggest you to "invest" your time writing a guide for weeks like most of us do ;)

Just now, Undead Wolf said:

I won't call anybody out by name, but I remember a guide from last year's nominations that got awarded a "Exceptionally High Quality" badge when it was anything but. It's lack of info had me stuck for like a week on how I was supposed to progress before I was finally able to find a solution from somebody else posting about it in a thread I made. It also wasn't using the official translations, so that made it pretty difficult to understand a lot of the time. There were other problems too like the bad formatting, but the point is that due to how these Guide of the Year Awards work, a guide like that gets recognition from the site all because somebody who probably doesn't even understand what makes a good guide decided to nominate it, even when there are so many others guides that were clearly better, but because they weren't lucky enough to get nominated, they get nothing.

I understand that the guide team are probably overworked as it is and certainly don't have the time to go through all the guides themselves to pick the best ones for each category, but the way it's handled definitely needs a rethink. A lot of great guides aren't acknowledged as it is now. This is just an idea, but I think it would be cool to have a new badge called "Staff Favourite" or something that the guide team could give to guides they believe are of a very high quality. It doesn't have to be tied to some sort of cash prize like the Guide of the Year Awards are, meaning the staff could give out as many of these as they see fit.

Hopefully nobody takes offence to what I've said here. Big congrats to the winners of course. There are some great guides here. :)

Yha, The guide team can't research every bit of information in a trophy guide to make sure it's accurate or correct. Which is unfortunate. But, it would take too long to do and then guides wouldn't be able to come out at the rate they do.

Congrats to everyone!

I also had a personally dispar opinion on this years awards which I PM’d to be included as a suggestion.

But on a side note, I do think @TurtlePM has a good point on the lots of potential guides that can be lost due to being more favored and easily remembered the ones that get released near December. I also thought that myself last year. As a suggestion, I think it might be a good idea to implement some kind of monthly voting post, take note of the top 3 guides voted and those guides earn the opportunity to be remembered in a symbolic list on December’s nomination thread.

Getting top 3-5 guides each month directly to the judging phase would be ideal, but I do understand the judging volume might end being too much for the staff.

• Like 2

@TurtlePM I agree that a lot of guides don't get the recognition they deserve, but I can tell you that we don't just randomly pick guides based on popularity of the game or anything like that. I spent several hours reading through guides, reading comments, etc., and I can tell you; it's a ton of work. Too much work most people would be willing to put in.

I do agree though that the current system needs some rework. Maybe have nominations from guide writers count towards the total and let everyone nominate guides. However, someone will always be left out. You can't avoid it. Great guides will be overlooked. Though, this is why I think self-nominations should be allowed.

@BlackTorito, Not a bad idea in theory. Monthly nominations would probably be a bit easier to track and we'd have less guides forgotten. It'd be a ton of work though.

Anyways, congrats to the winners. This was not an easy decision at all for me. Spent a lot of time looking through guides.

• Like 1