Guide of the Year Awards 2019 - Results!

BlindMango

39 minutes ago, Floriiss said:

First off let me start by saying congratulations to all of the guide winners! In the past year I’ve seen great guides that were very in-depth and overall very well written. It satisfies me greatly whenever I see such guides, as its evident that a lot of work went into it. Nothing but respect for people that go the extra mile.

Next to that I’m quite in shock that my guide(s) have won! That came as a huge surprise. I’ve been putting a lot of effort in my own guides and creating them was far from easy, but then again I felt Crypt of the NecroDancer is such a niche game so it wouldn’t get as much attention as the other guides. Not to mention that a lot of great guides had been written throughout the year so I wasn’t expecting much out of it. I’m quite literally flabbergasted. Super excited though.

Looking back at the nominations thread it warms my heart seeing the nominations I received. It’s always nice when your work is being appreciated. Therefore a big thank you to everyone who nominated me and commented on my guide(s)!

I mean, I wouldn't say Crypt is that niche. It's pretty damn well known as one of, if not the hardest games to get platinum in, which would give it at least enough reputation that a guide like yours would easily get some nominations and subsequently get looked at by the judges for the award. :P

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Not a bad idea in theory. Monthly nominations would probably be a bit easier to track and we'd have less guides forgotten. It'd be a ton of work though.

Then what about quarterly?

Guides from the beginning of the year are definitely often forgotten/don't get as much recognition come "Guide of the Year" time. It's no-one's fault, of course - every one of us remembers much more about how helpful a guide was that we'd used recently vs 10 months ago. Having nominations threads every three months (though no actual rewards until the end of the year, of course) would help reduce that to some extent, without having the work of doing it every single month.

Then the guides that were voted for in each nomination period can be compiled together for the Guide Team to decide between for the end-of-year awards. Or something to that extent.

• Like 2

Congrats to all the winners but also to all the guide contributors last year! ? ? ?

We all know that each guide takes a while to write. But it also allows sometimes to meet new awesome players (thanks @GonzoWARgasm for the guide we did last year, it was great!), I strongly encourage guide writers to work together as a team, it can be a really nice and motivating experience. 

Last but not least, huge thoughts and thanks to the whole staff for all they do for the website ?. For a tiny example, the recent addition of a link to the base game guide inside the trophy list is pretty cool by putting into relief the contributions of guide writers.

• Like 3

Since idea of how to make guide of the year more fair has come up in this thread a few time, I feel like this would be a good time to ask the following question.
Would a simple "Guide of the Month" thread where the community voted on the best guide published in the past month and the winner of that vote would automatically gets nominated for guide of the year, actually help in making the guide of the year nominations seem more fair? With such a system the "popular games" problem could and probably will still happen, but with the guides of the "popular games" already nominated it would leave more "space" for nominations of "lesser known games" guides since the "popular games" guides would potentially already be nominated.

The system would leave the nominations for main Guide of the Year looking something like this:

• The 12 "Guide of the Month" guides
  • The X number of "wild cards" that would be chosen by the guide of the year nomination thread. (basically the current system).

The votes for rest of the guide of the year categories would stay the same.

• Like 3

Congrats to all of the winners. This year had lots of great & detailed guides so it would be hard to pick those winners. My guide didn't have any chance against those tough competitors... But I want to thank to everyone who voted for the guide. Although it was my first time writing a guide and considering my English can be really awful/broken sometimes, I tried my best on this guide. Seeing it hit the 10K view mark is the bright side at least lol... I might try my luck again in future and come up with a second guide but until then, see you. And congrats to the winners once again.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2020 at 6:00 PM, Mikel said:

Congrats to all the winners, and I'm really stunned, but very happy to see one of my guides get picked for an exceptional award in the end! :)

likewise here. I actually played through the game twice, once on a dummy account and once on my main account, just to make sure it was accurate. I did not expect to win in any category. Congrats to all the winners as well. Tokyo Xanadu is probably one I will play after Darksiders Genesis, yes I plan to make a guide for that one as well since I did all the other Darksiders.

EDIT: My browser went crazy and copied my post about 6 times so had to delete and re-write.

Edited by Void

8 hours ago, Roronora_Zoro666 said:

There is no dub tho. At least none that I recall.

I mean the text has broken Engrish, gets characters names wrong, and in some places still has Japanese text. It's a nightmare.

It has a quest with such shitty text you don't even get context until you clear it, and even then they managed to make mistakes.

Note: I'm shitting on the game, not the guide. I just wanted to make that 100% clear. I won't continue discussing it since it's OT.

Edited by mako-heart

5 hours ago, mako-heart said:

I mean the text has broken Engrish, gets characters names wrong, and in some places still has Japanese text. It's a nightmare.

It has a quest with such shitty text you don't even get context until you clear it, and even then they managed to make mistakes.

Note: I'm shitting on the game, not the guide. I just wanted to make that 100% clear. I won't continue discussing it since it's OT.

I got that you were referring to the game, it is just that I haven’t really noticed it since I haven’t gotten too far in. 

My only beef is that a lot of stuff is missable.