Platinum Reflection - Bioshock Remastered - Would you kindly fall in love all over again?

DarthMagnus0605

Hi Trophy Hunters,

With the release of The Bioshock Collection on PS+ I took the opportunity to go back and finish my journey to get the platinum for each of the games. I wanted to offer some reflective thoughts on the first installment in the trilogy and discuss a game that is very near and dear to my heart to see how it holds up all these years later and to discuss how my journey to the Platinum trophy affected my experience of the game.

Bioshock remains of the most iconic games of the PS3/XBox 360 Generation and it is a game that was such a memorable experience for me. From the opening moments of Rapture to the first time you see/fight a Big Daddy, Fort Frolic and Sander Cohen, the story twists and turns, to the final moments of gameplay this game was a true masterpiece of world building, storytelling, and gameplay. I was nervous playing the remastered version because I was afraid that it wouldn't hold up since the last time I played and finished the game was around the time it first came out. However, I found myself still enjoying the journey through Rapture. The art direction and design holds up so incredibly well. Rapture feels so vast and large but also so claustrophobic at the same time. There is a real history to that place and learning about the city and how it used to be made the a city that was insensibly dead feel so alive. The storytelling and the themes it deals with are still powerful and poignant to this day. The gameplay was the only part of the game that did not hold up as well. The RPG elements of the game were still fun in terms of building my load-out. Also the dynamic nature of the powers and hacking was really fun to play with. However, the gun-play and shooting felt very stiff and made me not want to engage with it if I could avoid it and stick with my trusty wrench build. However, that aside there is so much I still like about this game and when the credits rolled I just sat there taking it all in.

The platinum trophy journey for this game was a great example of the experience being improved by chasing after the platinum. Most of the trophies are very straightforward in terms of either being story based and unmissable or collectible trophies. However, the trophy for beating the game on the Survivor difficulty was the most rewarding for me. While the trophy is not impossible it  made the game became a much more cerebral shooter experience. Your load out and decisions mattered more and seeing the progress my character made was so satisfying. The first Big Daddy I fought took almost 2 dozen tries of dying and reloading because I was so under powered but by the end I was smacking them around like nobodies business and it felt so good to see that progression and I don't think I would have felt the same level of satisfaction on an easier difficulty. 

• Favorite trophy to earn: I Chose the Impossible - see above
  • Least favorite trophy to earn: Lucky Winner - SERIOUSLY?! A trophy based on pure luck. I hated getting this trophy. Just sit there and press X until RNG decides to be kind and give you the trophy. So stupid!

Platinum Grade: A+

What are your thoughts on this game and what were your favorite and least favorite moments when working towards the platinum? What grade would you give the Platinum for this game?

Edited by DarthMagnus0605
  • Like 3