Trophy thoughts

HarvZGames

Something is off with the in-game trackers. I am actively pressing buttons in sculpt mode every 10-30 seconds (stamp, add, subtract) and it's going up but very slowly. 

I should have been credited for about 1 hour, but only got 15 minutes towards Potter. Not sure if I'm missing something...fortunately I only need around 30 more minutes for the trophy, so no biggie there, but am thinking more for level credit. 

Without a turbo controller (which cost around £80 from what I've seen, no thanks) this could become an extremely long-winded completion. The guide is superb so no hate, one of the best I've used in ages, but one minor criticism is that it doesn't really prepare you for how long you may have to spend after doing everything else. This is semi-acknowledged in the comments I suppose. 

I may try sticking down my right trigger whilst smearing with a full battery controller and seeing if that works. Technically it could be considered "active" as to smear you must hold a button? Idk.

Edited by PhantomFear94

20 minutes ago, PhantomFear94 said:

Something is off with the in-game trackers. I am actively pressing buttons in sculpt mode every 10-30 seconds (stamp, add, subtract) and it's going up but very slowly. 

I should have been credited for about 1 hour, but only got 15 minutes towards Potter. Not sure if I'm missing something...fortunately I only need around 30 more minutes for the trophy, so no biggie there, but am thinking more for level credit. 

Without a turbo controller (which cost around £80 from what I've seen, no thanks) this could become an extremely long-winded completion. The guide is superb so no hate, one of the best I've used in ages, but one minor criticism is that it doesn't really prepare you for how long you may have to spend after doing everything else. This is semi-acknowledged in the comments I suppose. 

I may try sticking down my right trigger whilst smearing with a full battery controller and seeing if that works. Technically it could be considered "active" as to smear you must hold a button? Idk.

You pretty much have to spam the cross button for the timer to go up. 10-30 wait between click inputs is far too long

9 minutes ago, Colt said:

You pretty much have to spam the cross button for the timer to go up. 10-30 wait between click inputs is far too long

Yep, you're right. I read another comment saying about once a minute, spamming worked. Will try and find a create solution because that is going to be  very boring without a turbo - a very expensive solution! 

1 hour ago, PhantomFear94 said:

Had to google a converter to see how much £80 is in Aus, $150! I got a cheap, new perfectly fine turbo controller for $35 off ebay, you need to have a better look. 

for some reason the hori fighting commander turbo function isnt working in dreams for me, i thought i might have been doing it wrong or something so i booted up my name is mayo and it worked perfectly. I have no idea why it isnt working in Dreams

Edited by Mekablade

7 hours ago, Kcrack_Km said:

Had to google a converter to see how much £80 is in Aus, $150! I got a cheap, new perfectly fine turbo controller for $35 off ebay, you need to have a better look. 

Out of interest, what brand do you have? I'd be fine spending around £20 on a controller for sure - I'm usually Xbox so I'd begrudge spending too much on a system I typically only play exclusive titles on... so if not I'll just space the grind out...in no massive rush as February is pretty quiet game-wise. 

11 hours ago, Velvet said:

I've had the game idling while at work the past couple of days (turbo controller constantly pressing X in the Music Mode). Getting from 20-30 has taken a grand total of about 14 hours. The first 20 didn't feel too bad, but the last 10 seem to never end, lol. You get a LOT more xp in create mode than anywhere else, but you need to be active. Doing nothing/pressing no buttons won't count. 

EDIT: In case anyone is about to ask, it's not like LBP where you can just rubberband one of the sticks and constantly be "moving", they need to be "new inputs" roughly every minute or so (we tried to time it as best we could - no input for 5 minutes got 0 xp, pressing a button once every minute for 5 minutes made the bar go up a *tiny* bit). 

I left my PS4 for a whole night pressing X every 2 seconds in music mode and I went from 10... to 10 :(

I probably did something wrong although it counted for the Make some noise trophy.

Here's what I did:

I searched for an instrument and placed that in the editor. Then I opened it with L1+X. After that I pressed on the 'piano roll' option at the top and then I pressed X on the piano keys on the left for a whole night. It always plays the note of the pressed piano key and it counted for the trophy, but not for the level.

This morning I switched to the recording for the puppeteer trophy, after 20-30 minutes I checked and I went up a level. But I can't let that run for a whole night as it fills up the creation.

Edited by Kolm

For UK users, I found a turbo controller for £25. I think I'm just going to wait until I get paid next week, grab this controller, and let it grind. I want to create something awesome in Dreams anyway so I may stop grinding in the late 20s and do the last few levels organically.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canyon-Wired-Gamepad-for-PS4/dp/B0776YT7K8/ref=asc_df_B0776YT7K8/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310694401667&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17325631958058830553&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045362&hvtargid=pla-696907370627&psc=1 

12 hours ago, PhantomFear94 said:

Yep, you're right. I read another comment saying about once a minute, spamming worked. Will try and find a create solution because that is going to be  very boring without a turbo - a very expensive solution! 

Reaching level 3 by playing for 102 minutes on some imp quests is tedious but just got to get on with it. I got them all done so need to buy a new controller

Just now, Colt said:

Reaching level 3 by playing for 102 minutes on some imp quests is tedious but just got to get on with it. I got them all done so need to buy a new controller

For the Level 3 trophies, this is what I'm doing. I only have 2 left, and one I'm 10 mins away from haha.

For Level 30, I found a £20 controller and am seriously considering buying it to grind out my levels. I don't think I'll be even Level 20 by the time I'm done with the other trophies. 

58 minutes ago, PhantomFear94 said:

For UK users, I found a turbo controller for £25. I think I'm just going to wait until I get paid next week, grab this controller, and let it grind. I want to create something awesome in Dreams anyway so I may stop grinding in the late 20s and do the last few levels organically.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canyon-Wired-Gamepad-for-PS4/dp/B0776YT7K8/ref=asc_df_B0776YT7K8/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310694401667&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17325631958058830553&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045362&hvtargid=pla-696907370627&psc=1 

I use that very same controller, its not the best quality wise. But if you just want the turbo function you can't go wrong. 

58 minutes ago, PhantomFear94 said:

16 hours ago, Velvet said:

I've had the game idling while at work the past couple of days (turbo controller constantly pressing X in the Music Mode). Getting from 20-30 has taken a grand total of about 14 hours. The first 20 didn't feel too bad, but the last 10 seem to never end, lol. You get a LOT more xp in create mode than anywhere else, but you need to be active. Doing nothing/pressing no buttons won't count. 

EDIT: In case anyone is about to ask, it's not like LBP where you can just rubberband one of the sticks and constantly be "moving", they need to be "new inputs" roughly every minute or so (we tried to time it as best we could - no input for 5 minutes got 0 xp, pressing a button once every minute for 5 minutes made the bar go up a *tiny* bit). 

Looks like ill leave it on overnight and throughout my 10 hour work shift tomorrow and hope it doesn't crash lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhantomFear94 said:

For the Level 3 trophies, this is what I'm doing. I only have 2 left, and one I'm 10 mins away from haha.

For Level 30, I found a £20 controller and am seriously considering buying it to grind out my levels. I don't think I'll be even Level 20 by the time I'm done with the other trophies. 

I'm level 15 and there's a lot of easy imp quests to do for 100xp at a time.

18 hours ago, PhantomFear94 said:

my turbo controller doesnt even work in dreams for some reason. it works in the PS4 menu, other games, dreams menu, but not in game. just a heads up. 

22 hours ago, Kolm said:

I left my PS4 for a whole night pressing X every 2 seconds in music mode and I went from 10... to 10 :(

I probably did something wrong although it counted for the Make some noise trophy.

Here's what I did:

I searched for an instrument and placed that in the editor. Then I opened it with L1+X. After that I pressed on the 'piano roll' option at the top and then I pressed X on the piano keys on the left for a whole night. It always plays the note of the pressed piano key and it counted for the trophy, but not for the level.

This morning I switched to the recording for the puppeteer trophy, after 20-30 minutes I checked and I went up a level. But I can't let that run for a whole night as it fills up the creation.

To answer my own question:

It seems pressing X on the piano keys in the piano roll option doesn't add XP but pressing the circles in freeform mode of an instrument does count XP.

Last night I tried sculp mode instead of music mode and I went from 13,9 to 18,2 in about 8h.

Setup:
No motion sensors => imp cursor drifts away when I use motion sensors
Sculping mode => stamp mode instead of smear
Open sculp mode > select a form > press X every 2 seconds for 50ms

I use a CronusMax Plus that I programmed to press X

Maybe the music way is faster but right now, I'm already happy that it works. I spent quite a few hours in create mode but I'm not that creative when it comes to art/designing so at a certain point it's no longer fun or interesting for me to play around with it.

59 minutes ago, Kolm said:

To answer my own question:

It seems pressing X on the piano keys in the piano roll option doesn't add XP but pressing the circles in freeform mode of an instrument does count XP.

Last night I tried sculp mode instead of music mode and I went from 13,9 to 18,2 in about 8h.

Setup:
No motion sensors => imp cursor drifts away when I use motion sensors
Sculping mode => stamp mode instead of smear
Open sculp mode > select a form > press X every 2 seconds for 50ms

I use a CronusMax Plus that I programmed to press X

Maybe the music way is faster but right now, I'm already happy that it works. I spent quite a few hours in create mode but I'm not that creative when it comes to art/designing so at a certain point it's no longer fun or interesting for me to play around with it.

I was just going to report back, funnily enough, this pretty much covers it.

The technique mentioned by HusKy (turbo through remote play and AHK) worked perfectly for my last couple of Rank 3 trophies, and I went up almost 2 levels in 1.5 hours inconsequentially (very start of 15 to end of 16). I couldn't just continue leaving it because the last trophy in question was Puppeteer, which eats memory. 

I'm on Level 16 - tried boosting with the piano keys, didn't award any XP at all after 7 hours (went to sleep, was still connected to remote play using the same method).  Comforting to know it happened to someone else, but another idle method does work. 

I'm typing this just before my shift in work, and I've left it on sculpt so by all accounts this method should work. It did when I did it manually for Potter. I don't think it'll eat memory because you're just beginning smear but not smearing in the same place. I'll report back, but with any luck, I'll have "Accessorize" when I get home and I'll just do it 2-3 more times for the Plat! 

17 hours ago, Lightsp33d1987 said:

Once you are 15+ the 100xp pretty much are worthless as in create mode you will earn a lot more.

This is very true. I don't think it is impossible you do all imp quests available and you'd still be a bit off...so either way it is a pretty big grind. Your other alternative is to make a huge project, which is probably more fun, but I'll be coming back to Dreams regularly for fun. don't like incompletions being left for weeks due to personal preference.

1 hour ago, Mekablade said:

my turbo controller doesnt even work in dreams for some reason. it works in the PS4 menu, other games, dreams menu, but not in game. just a heads up. 

I recommend you check out the below method, it worked really well. It doesn't work with Mac OS but works on bootcamp through Mac OS, that's how I'm using it. 

18 hours ago, HusKy said:

See here:

Edited by PhantomFear94

@PhantomFear94 Thanks for confirming my findings!

I see you used 'smear' mode for the sculpting, did that work? Somewhere I read it was better to use stamp mode.

Today I was unlucky, I left it on during work but at some point the editor must have shown a pop-up to change color and that was still on when I got home.

Maybe something touched the controller by accident when I was out, no idea how it happened...Still made it from 18 to halfway 21 so I got the level 20 trophy.

@Lightsp33d1987 Is it possible to alter the speed at which the button is pressed or how long it is pressed?

I remember another game for which I programmed my CronusMax and I had to up the milliseconds a button was pressed or the game wouldn't recognize it.

When the button was pressed for lik 50ms, it wouldn't register as a press. When the button was pressed for 100ms or more it did register as a press.

6 minutes ago, Kolm said:

@Lightsp33d1987 Is it possible to alter the speed at which the button is pressed or how long it is pressed?

I remember another game for which I programmed my CronusMax and I had to up the milliseconds a button was pressed or the game wouldn't recognize it.

When the button was pressed for lik 50ms, it wouldn't register as a press. When the button was pressed for 100ms or more it did register as a press.

Sadly not it's just a pretty standard turbo controller so i might have to use the remote play way on my laptop unless anyone has found another way to afk this with a turbo controller as so far having no luck finding a mode it works in.