Thoughts on game?

one giant long boring unskippable cutscene that was edited by a 3 year old.

expect to be squinting at your screen whilst replaying more boring yarns for 15+ hrs for 2 trophies alone, and 4 more runs and 3 partial runs for the rest.

D-U-L-L

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Title change
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

expect to be squinting at your screen whilst replaying more boring yarns for 15+ hrs for 2 trophies alone, and 4 more runs and 3 partial runs for the rest.

D-U-L-L

I like your profile of games, some great titles.

PushSquare gave the following conclusion:

Man of Medan kicks The Dark Pictures Anthology off with a whimper rather than a bang. The format has a lot of potential, but this was undoubtedly the wrong story to showcase it. The narrative is slight and rarely gets out of first gear, the characters are annoying, the scares limp, and the dialogue unnatural. There's constant technical hiccups. In fact, the scariest thing about Man of Medan is how it ever went gold in the state that it's in.

Score 5/10

I guess you're just confirming these views.

• Like 1

it's a horror game that isn't scary and is badly edited. i loved until dawn, this is a mile off and made by same devs.I don't mind theese types of games but this pushes boundries in boredem like nothing i've ever played. just pointing this out if anyone is on the fence, don't waste your time.

and thanks your profile is nice too, friday the 13th is one i wanna do but probably won't have the time.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84

1 hour ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

it's a horror game that isn't scary and is badly edited. i loved until dawn, this is a mile off and made by same devs.I don't mind theese types of games but this pushes boundries in boredem like nothing i've ever played. just pointing this out if anyone is on the fence, don't waste your time.

and thanks your profile is nice too, friday the 13th is one i wanna do but probably won't have the time.

I agree with the guy above that mentioned your great profile! keep on doing the amazing work :) 

But don‘t we both agree that achieving platinum in dead rising 4 was a much worse process than man of medan??

2 hours ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

D-U-L-L

I really enjoyed it, sorry to hear you personally didn't. I didn't think it was as well produced as Until Dawn, but I had a blast with it all the same. I'm really looking forward to Little Hope!

• Like 2

I actually really enjoyed this game and would definitely recommend it if you have a friend to play with who also enjoys these kinds of games. I will agree that it had a pretty bad trophy list though, mainly because of how many times it wants you to replay the game. I also wasn't a fan of those trophies that force you to pick a specific type of choice throughout the whole thing because it was easy to mess up. Still, I liked it a lot and I look forward to the next one. :)

• Like 2

Dude....lol like seriously. This game was awesome. It's genre doesn't appeal to everyone. Don't bash the game because you did not like it. Or, are you just mad because the trophy difficulty isn't easy? I love this game and also Until Dawn. I am looking forward to their next game, Little Hope that is out sometime this year

• Like 2

the qte's are cool, the don't move qte's are especially cool better then until dawn. but the characters are just dull and  in one scene alex jumps up and starts banging on a door because the bad guy took his GF, and in the next scene his friend tells him to sit down and hide his hands behind his back so they can get the drop on em as if he's still cuffed, yet in the previous scene he was banging on the door, and the bad guy was facing him straight up. and this happens multiple times per playthrough, like each scene is triggered after certain choices with no regard for continuity between them.

i don't mind replaying the game multiple times, but  every verbal choice you make has to be scrutinised because the head/heart choices are labelled so poorly half the time you can't even see them. it's just annoying.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84

4 minutes ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

the qte's are cool, the don't move qte's are especially cool better then until dawn. but the characters are just dull and  in one scene alex jumps up and starts banging on a door because the bad guy took his GF, and in the next scene his friend tells him to sit down and hide his hands behind his back so they can get the drop on em as if he's still cuffed, yet in the previous scene he was banging on the door, and the bad guy was facing him straight up. and this happens multiple times per playthrough, like each scene is triggered after certain choices with no regard for continuity between them.

i don't mind replaying the game multiple times, but  every verbal choice you make has to be scrutinised because the head/heart choices are labelled so poorly half the time you can't even see them. it's just annoying.

You do realize that is the same as Until Dawn? That's the ENTIRE POINT of the choices. That's really sad you hate the game this much. I understand it's not everyone's favorite genre. But it was a fantastic game. Stop bashing the game because you don't like it. Just looking at your profile- obviously this is not your type of game. It's not guns and blowing crap up. Maybe if you hate it so bad- stick to the game genres you do like.

Edited by sealightbreeze
  • Like 1

Subjectivity is key here - some people like the game, some people don't - both are totally acceptable. I think the issue is how things are framed in general - if you speak as if your opinion is fact - then people are far more likely to argue with you.

There is a difference between saying "This game is crap and it sucks / This game is amazing and brilliant" which implies objective fact and "I thought this game was crap and that it sucked" / "I personally feel this game is amazing and brilliant". which implies subjective opinion.

It doesn't take any effort whatsoever to consider how we phrase things before we write them really.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

There is a difference between saying "This game is crap and it sucks / This game is amazing and brilliant" which implies objective fact and "I thought this game was crap and that it sucked" / "I personally feel this game is amazing and brilliant". which implies subjective opinion.

...except that there should be no difference.

"Broccoli tastes bad."

"I think broccoli tastes bad."

These are equivalent statements. I shouldn't have to preface a clear opinion by saying, "I think". In fact, at least in my day, writing courses taught you NOT to use phrases like "I think", "In my opinion", etc., because it weakens the writing.

There are objectively bad things about games. But a statement like, "This game is boring" isn't one of them. That's obviously subjective.

4 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

It doesn't take any effort whatsoever to consider how we phrase things before we write them really.

Nor should it take effort for a reader to realize that the views presented are those of the poster, and in no way represent the views of PSNP, Sony, or any of its other players.

• Like 2

Just now, starcrunch061 said:

...except that there should be no difference.

"Broccoli tastes bad."

"I think broccoli tastes bad."

These are equivalent statements. I shouldn't have to preface a clear opinion by saying, "I think". In fact, at least in my day, writing courses taught you NOT to use phrases like "I think", "In my opinion", etc., because it weakens the writing.

There are objectively bad things about games. But a statement like, "This game is boring" isn't one of them. That's obviously subjective.

Nor should it take effort for a reader to realize that the views presented are those of the poster, and in no way represent the views of PSNP, Sony, or any of its other players.

There shouldn't be a difference, but there absolutely is and the logic there only works if 100% of the group is on board with that approach, which is impossible to guarantee. It's especially important in the context of a forum post format (or any social media format). It puts ownership on everyone to be as specific as possible. If people want to inflame at it after that, it's more on them than before because there is no question of intent whatsoever.

• Like 1

I enjoy majority of these narrative driven games and thought until dawn was great but Man Of Medan was by far the biggest disappointment of the genre I’ve played. None of the characters are likeable, the story isn’t as intriguing or suspenseful, it relies on too many cheap jump scares and the ending is so abrupt I was left like that’s it? Wow what a waste of 4 hours. I didn’t even pay for the game and I still felt robbed.

Edited by NaseemJohn

The problem IMO is less that someone came on here and posted an opinion, and more that they did so on the basis of directing others to "steer clear" of the game.  It's distasteful and gives the impression that you think too highly of your own opinion, since you should know there are always going to be people out there who will like the game and shouldn't heed your advice.  It doesn't help the OP is like 2-3 short sentences and looks like it was written by an angry 12 year old.

People generally don't mind reading a differing opinion of their own, but no one likes being told what to do.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 4

Yes this game is not as good as Until Dawn. No supernatural element, no good scares, fairly booring character with a ton of cheesy lines. The platinum was really boring aswell. Still  worth a playthrough if you can get it at the right price. Little Hope looks promising atleast, i really hope we get some witches or anything supernatural tbh. Don't want any serial killers or dangerous chemicals, that just doesn't do it for me anymore.