Warning PS Messages on Android is a resource hog

cris3f

1 minute ago, EcoShifter said:

Will doing this log one out, clear all active conversations, delete images, etc?

Nope, only what you have stored in the Android device. Once you run the app again it will rebuild it, hopefully smaller.

Edited by cris3f
  • Like 2

The PS Messages app is absolute dog shit but I still use it most of the time cause a lot of people on here insist on using that over discord when boosting.

The only thing it's useful for is sending screenshots from my PS4 in a message to someone and then being able to save the screenshot to my phone from the app as it shows up in the message chain. 

21 hours ago, cris3f said:

My android tablet had been ridiculously low on available space lately and I was being too lazy to find the culprit. However it come to a point that I had no alternative. The culprit? PS Messages. It was "just" eating a meager 3GB in data. So if you use this wonderfully competently coded app it's advisable to once in a while clear the data and caches of the application, specially if you exited long threads or ones with images.

For those that don't know, go to Android settings, choose Applications, then PS Messages, the Storage then Clear Data (or cache too if you want, although usually clearing data will erase both).

Sorry if it has been reported could not find it.

Many thanks, cris3f, I just checked mine and it was at whooping 2.3GB, now it's at measly 50mb after doing what you meant.

I do prefer Discord but unfortunately not everyone wants to use it. I do have a ton of Discord groups, users and chats but the data stored on the Android is less than 50 MB. It's a gazillion more information than I have on PS Messages.

Sony could be smart and use Dicord as a hub for their stuff (and Microsoft and Nintendo too). As long as they did not put their feet directly on it we had a chance that it wouldn't be another bloated junk like PS Messages or PS App.

Even PS app is junk but at least isn't hogging resources. Is it too difficult to show another player's trophies in a way that useful to you? Is there anyone at Sony that has ever used either app to come to the obvious conclusion that they suck? I doubt...

Edited by cris3f