Best place to get a PS4 in the UK?

Golem25

Hi everyone, I'm looking to finally get myself a PS4, after having skirted by on my ex-gf's and brother's PS4's for the entire generation (playing a grand total of, what, four games).

I've recently moved to the UK from the Netherlands and I've got no bloody clue about the retail environment in this country, where to get the best deal, etc. like I would have known back home.

As such, my question; what's the best place? Is it worth getting a new console, or should I pop down to CeX or check Facebook Marketplace for a used one?

Thank you for the replies so far, everyone; this is massively useful and I really appreciate the help.

I normally don't care about bundles much as I am a very picky lad, but reselling the game(s) would help recoup some costs. On the other hand, there are some good points being raised about the PS5 - it being backwards compatible would sort me out for another seven or so years and I could collect and finish off the Vita library while waiting for release. Really hope we will get a reveal soon, maybe I should wait for that; if the PS5 doesn't appeal to me I can go right ahead with getting the 4.

1 hour ago, Solid-Fisch said:

Since PS5 will be compatible with PS4 games there is absolutely no sense in buying a PS4 now.

35 minutes ago, Golem25 said:

Thank you for the replies so far, everyone; this is massively useful and I really appreciate the help.

I normally don't care about bundles much as I am a very picky lad, but reselling the game(s) would help recoup some costs. On the other hand, there are some good points being raised about the PS5 - it being backwards compatible would sort me out for another seven or so years and I could collect and finish off the Vita library while waiting for release. Really hope we will get a reveal soon, maybe I should wait for that; if the PS5 doesn't appeal to me I can go right ahead with getting the 4.

Backwards compat has not actually been confirmed anywhere, other than they are 'working on it'. Also, given the PS5 is likely to be £450-£500 and manufacturing/shipping may be affected by the coronavirus outbreak, I'd say there is still value in buying a PS4, plus if you do upgrade you would still likely get £100 or so back for the PS4 at least, dependant on model. Your call

Facebook - Marketplace search PS4 PRO etc

I got a pro with 2 relatively new controllers, guitar hero game dongle and guitar controller and 19 games incl rdr2 and gtav £180.

the moment sony and microsoft announced new consoles literally everyone (casuals i guess) wanted to sell up, so check it out good deals... other then that CEX is best bet sinc they scrutinize the consoles they buy and give warranty.

• Like 2

At GAME they sell bundles with (in my opinion) boring games and sports games. 

CEX prices are sort of all over the place as is their quality. 

Personally if i was getting a PS4 id get it from *gasp* a supermarket such as Tesco or Asda. Sounds like it shouldnt be a good deal but they actually aren't bad. They do them without shoddy bundles. Their game range is nowhere near as good though. Online retailers for that. 

Edited by punkshepherd
  • Like 1

I think it's better to get a used console, no point in getting a new one with the PS5 on the horizon. I've bought used stuff in CeX ranked B and they were always pretty good. Don't buy anything a grade C or below. Another is Amazon uk, but you won't get to look at it or check the condition though.

GAME is a bit expensive imo, and they're trade in values are so low. 

Other shops that you can get used ps4 for cheap are Cash Converters and Music Magpie.

For new consoles, argos, tesco, amazon, game etc

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 11:43 AM, Solid-Fisch said:

Since PS5 will be compatible with PS4 games there is absolutely no sense in buying a PS4 now.

Please don't listen to this guy. First off, backwards compatibility hasn't been confirmed or even rumored. Second, if someone had to make an educated guess, the most the PS5 will be able to do is play PS1, PS2 and a big MAYBE on PS3 games. No way they'll lose out on all those digital port sales by re-selling the same games over and over in the psn store.

20 hours ago, Fish613 said:

Please don't listen to this guy. First off, backwards compatibility hasn't been confirmed or even rumored. Second, if someone had to make an educated guess, the most the PS5 will be able to do is play PS1, PS2 and a big MAYBE on PS3 games. No way they'll lose out on all those digital port sales by re-selling the same games over and over in the psn store.

PS4 backwards has been confirmed on PS5, dumbass.

Sources:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/10/guide_will_ps5_be_backwards_compatible_with_ps4_games

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ps5-specs-features-ssd-ray-tracing-cpu-gpu-6300

• 2 weeks later...