Considering starting over with a new account. Has anyone else here ever done the same?

DieHardDavidN

There’s a few garbage games I really regret putting on my profile like Slyde, Albedo, Energy Cycle, Crash Dummy and Little Adventure On The Prairie. 

I went through the stage of wanting to play anything I could to increase my trophy count as

1)I enjoyed getting trophies/Platinums in games and 

2) It was fun seeing my profile slowly moving up the UK country rank every few days.

However I came to the realisation that

1) I got to the stage where I was playing crappy games for points instead of playing just great games for fun and

2) Worrying about my country rank is kinda pointless as I know I’ll never be on the high end of the country rankings as I’ll never do the things people needed to do to stay at the top like playing multiple stacks/regions of games, playing Japanese visual novels etc.

I only have a measly 129 Platinums ? and none are UR so it’s not like I would be missing out on too much if I quit this account.

I have been feeling a bit ‘meh’ with depression lately so not sure if that’s making me think this way or not.

Just wondering if anyone here has ever

1) Considered starting a new account or did start over on a new account and if so, what were your reasons?

2) Did you consider starting over but then decided just to stick to the account you have?

• Like 4

Yep. This is my third account. I packed the first one in because of a Rata game that I didn't feel was an accomplishment. The second account I packed in because of games I wasn't having fun with (Overwatch, WWE (the online), and Shanky the Fucking Vegan's Nightmare.

I'm happy with my new account. I'm playing games I like and 100% is possible. 

5 minutes ago, Helyx said:

I hope to see you all join in the cleansing with us on April 1st.

...nice...

Do what makes you happy TC. 

Think of the reasons why you play video games and contrast them with why you trophy hunt. 

When i switched from x360 to ps4 i felt like id wasted my time on gamerscore but then i realised i prefer the games of Playstation. 

If you've already accepted you wont get to the top rankings, you're halfway there. 

I mean aim high but doing what makes you happy is the most important thing

Edited by punkshepherd
Spelling
  • Like 4

Like a few posters have mentioned, this is also my third account. My first account I simply played anything and everything for trophies and once I matured a bit realised that was a terrible way to play video games. It's my hobby and playing trash for virtual trophies that don't really matter is not fun. First account had around 60 plats and some very rare ones that I won't get again

My second account had a unique name that didn't really fit me anymore so I created this one. I think I had around 30-40 plats on the second one and again, some I can't get again.

I think if you're thinking of a new account, you're already unhappy with your current one. Maybe start a new account, earn a plat and see how you feel? Once you start to get a couple and see your list grow I think you'll be happy with your choice.

20 minutes ago, Helyx said:

There's a large group of us (maybe 300) that made a new year resolution to start the decade fresh. We agreed to give ourselves three months to wrap up any games we were playing, so at the start of April we can make new accounts.

I hope to see you all join in the cleansing with us on April 1st.

You will start over after having 700 completed games? If i had to start over, i'd quit playing :lol:

• Like 1

This isn't my first account, but I have switched over the years for various reasons such as not being satisfied with accumulating a plethora of incomplete titles for various reasons or my desire to have a new ID after a while. I will admit though that I think this is the ideal account for me as I have avoided tainting it with deliberately easy titles, but rather have played games I do have genuine interest in. I also have minimized my amount of incomplete games to a certain limit and am in the process to clear them out step by step. Plus, my name is one that I am pleased with as I devised it myself after pondering over it for a while. Ultimately, I am confident I can attain 100% completion in the long run.

I do think there are certain upsides for having a fresh start as you are able to learn from your prior mistakes, such as playing more worthwhile titles that you actually want to play or not worrying about your status on the leaderboards. I wish you the best of luck and hope you reach a verdict that works out well for you as perhaps this is an opportunity to take advantage of.

Edited by VoxAnimi
  • Like 3

Single account chad here I sorta wish I had been better about earning trophies years ago instead of leaving myself with a very low completion percentage and a bunch of Es on my profile, especially now that I’m much older and have much less time to play than I did in college.

• Like 2

This is my second account, and the main reasons I abandoned my first account was due to moving countries; and the old account contained a portion of my exes name in and it didn't feel appropriate anymore as I had gotten re-married (this was before the name change was implemented by Playstation)  I'd say the country change was definitely the biggest motivation for me though.

I think in your case, I'd probably just continue with your current account but just play games you find enjoyable from now.  That's just my thoughts though, you should do whatever will make you happy.

• Like 3

As I draw closer to getting all of the obtainable trophies possible on my account, I always get a little sad knowing I will never have 100% completion rating due to servers closing on Resistance 2, unreleased DLC in Burn Zombie Burn, and delisted DLC in Zombie Apocalypse & Zen Pinball (although these are technically still possible).

And threads like this seem to pop up often. It really highlights the fact that we should have the option to delete games off our profile. The Hidden feature is just not good enough.

Edited by sepheroithisgod
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Floorkiller74 said:

I feel there should be NO trophy manipulation on an account. Deleting, hacking to add, etc should all be off limits. You played a game, that's on you. I even think the ability to hide games that aren't 0% is deceitful.  If you want to start a new account to make people think you are a better trophy hunter than you really are, power to ya. 

I agree with you on hacking shouldn't be allowed, but disagree with the rest of what you said.

Having to make another account because you are unable to fix the problem(server closure, unreleased DLC, delisted DLC, glitches, etc.) does not make you a better trophy hunter. As a player, I have zero control over these aspects and get punished for them if they occur. Its the equivalent of if a store made a mistake and charged me more than they should. Would you just accept them doing that? No, you would get that money back. Trophies are no different.

There should be a better solution instead of creating a new account and seeing thousands of hours of effort rendered meaningless.

• Like 2

Sure, most of us have played garbage games such as the ones you mentioned in your first sentence,  but as long as they don't make up 80% of your profile, I do not have a problem with it. The only two types of profiles I have a 'problem' with are hacked/cheated ones and ones were 80%+ of games have 90%+ completion rates and there are several stacks of them.

I have never thought about creating a new account because (wait for the cringe) it shows my journey (vomit) as a trophy hunter. I went through a phase were I just had to get as many trophies as possible in as short a time I could, so I too have a bunch of garbage trophies in the middle of my list. 

Just embrace who you are and who you once were :)

• Like 4

The only person that will judge you for these games is yourself, if you see the point in erasing all the other games that you enjoy because of a few cheesy/bad ones, then that is fine. I personally would not reset

No one will scrub through your profile to see all the crap games you played, just work on some games you enjoy

How would your trophy obtaining change if you got a new account? Do you plan on not looking at trophy lists before you decide to play a game? or are you only going to play games that you can plat and look impressive? Or will you fall back into your same trends and eventually buy My Name is Mayo