Considering starting over with a new account. Has anyone else here ever done the same?

DieHardDavidN

1 hour ago, sepheroithisgod said:

And threads like this seem to pop up often. It really highlights the fact that we should have the option to delete games off our profile. The Hidden feature is just not good enough.

I agree I hate having a H on my profile from hiding 3 or 4 walking dead vita trophies because my vita decided not to have timestamps on them borking up my milestones 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SanctifiedSword said:

Depression (mild, in my case, but during stress times, exponentially multiplies) has hit me hard a lot of times in the past where I feel as if what I accomplished/did wasn't good enough or looked really bad and I've deleted/restarted/lost a lot of money in some cases (MMO's, etc) by restarting my account. Sometimes even now I still get that way. Honestly though the disconnect for me in restarting over and over and over again was realizing that at the end of the day, very little people will actually care what I do, in what order I do it, when I do it, how many "hard" games I have, how many "easy" games I have, what my rank is, how skilled I am/am not at any game, whatever is the case. When you get those hits of depression just remember you're playing video games for fun, not to be a slave to them. I think it's important not to make decisions while feeling a bit down for the count, cause you may end up making decisions you'll later regret (I testify to that myself). 

Literally this. I have a lot of ‘spells’ where I consider making a new account. Hell I’ve been fighting them a lot just the last week or so.  Before the PS4 I had dozens, to the extent people would not add me back because they’d be like ‘this is your fifth account this month Craig.’ 

Ultimately OP, I would say do what makes you feel happy. The likelihood is that your mind is already made up. However, from the perspective of someone who’s had a LOT of accounts I would say that it’s a very fragile hobby that’s very much at the mercy of RNG. At least from a 100% account perspective. Need for Speed for instance was a game I loved and enjoyed, I could have never anticipated the Prestige DLC basically wrecking my account. I think it’s borderline impossible to have the ‘perfect’ account, with increased time in the hobby our perceptions, goals etc. change continuously. A game you play and enjoy trophies on today may be one you become hideously ashamed of a few months down the line. 

I’m very OCD about placement, reasoning, lots of things really and if I could I would erase 10+ games from my record but you also have to weigh up what you’ve achieved. Easy games or not, you’ve nailed over 100 platinums and that’s something to be proud of. Only you know what feels right. 

Edited by CraigyXO
  • Like 3

I abandoned my previous account last month, leaving behind 13000 trophies and 240ish plats. I realized I was playing games for the wrong reasons.  

I have been playing Mario Odyssey and replaying FFVII and it feels great to play games for fun.

Trophies and online play became too much of a hassle a change was overdue.

Good luck whatever you decide.

I've thought about making a new account more than once, in the end I actually went ahead to make a second account, but not because I intended to abandon this main account, it's mainly as someone else pointed out, a chance to keep a high completion and replay games I have really enjoyed in the past.

The reason I initially thought about it was the same as yours tho, because I have over 4500 unearned trophies in alot of crap games or lists with unobtainables, however I found a new challenge in actually redeeming this account and earning whatever trophies I can from my old games (if you look on my profile you can see what kind of games I am currently working on ?). What made this bearable was the challenge as I said and not overdoing it, I wont spend 15 hours straight on a crap game, more like play an hour here and there while mixing it up with games I actually want to play. This way I managed to get my completion from low 40 to about 65% now.

Wish you luck with whatever you do, but thats how I went about the same issue.

Edited by Misshandlad
  • Like 1

I used to start new accounts for any reason, ranging from not liking some of the games I had played to not being happy with the time stamp of a particular trophy. I got rid of one account because I was upset I had played Mass Effect 2 before Mass Effect 1. I got rid of another because I had popped 13 trophies on the first day and thought that was unlucky.

The realization you've come to is a familiar one (I think we all end up there), but keep in mind you'll likely never have a "perfect" account. Even if you can avoid unobtainable trophies, you can never be sure you're going to enjoy every game you play. Take it from someone who researches every game extensively beforehand. I'd shoot for liking...I dunno, 90% of the games you play. If you enjoyed nine out of every ten games, you'd be pretty happy, right?

I guess what I'm saying is make a new account if you want, but realize that acceptance is the only thing that's going to make it last.

• Like 4

tbh i'm not seeing anything overly difficult on your list what so ever.  Not sure what you're asking.  Should you start a new list to erase those few games you mentioned.   I see others that fit the same profile and i don't see anything much completed with any true level of difficulty.  The games on your list i would constitute as good triple A titles worthy of mention you didn't even finish  Bloodborne, hitman, crash games etc.  So my advice is to not bother unless you want to make a complete change in the types of game you play all together as well as they types of challenges you're willing to complete.  If you're not willing to finish the more challenging games on this list what makes you think you will on the next?  When i see the amount of games on your list with only 7 ur trophies I come to the conclusion maybe you are more casual which isn't a big deal i just think you should accept that and not worry about it.  Maybe try to finish the crash games and blood borne and hitman and if you start rising to greater and greater challenges then start a new account. 

nah, i say just continue on. i got some intentional crap plats. here and there, doesn't bother me.

i do think sometimes though on the day i stop going after trophies, if i would switch to another account or just keep using this one. in that case i'd likely just keep using this account as it would feel weird not using my main account anymore. another thought i had was hiding the trophies on my account, but that's a pretty pointless idea as well. cant begin to explain what the mind does to trophy hunters, causes so many irrational thoughts lol. 

What if you don't like your second account years down the line. Time for a third account?

Just buy a Nintendo Switch or play games on the Epic Store, no trophies or achievements and then your OCD tendencies will go away.

Edited by enaysoft

Hmmm... I also made a second account once because I have many... "mistakes" on this profile...

> Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is WAY too hard for me and I am also not a platformer person. Well, PST said it would be a 10/10, but it was in my newbie time and I did not take it seriously.

> HOARD has big lags. Literally unplayable.

> Atelier Rorona (PS3) keeps freezing.

> Bleach... I dunno, I do not understand that game controls. :D

> Minecraft... I was like "EVERYONE likes this game, so maybe I should try it...". The PS3 version had no DLCs and I was SO happy when I finally got the platinum. Stupid crappy piece of shit game &Z"/§"$&&"$%§"$&"... I even sold the disc. And BAMM... ALL the DLCs came to PS3 as well. It is a 38% platinum now! :(

> Akibas Trip (Vita)... Most. Horrible. Loading. Times. Ever. And I do not even understand why. The areas are REALLY small... You make like five steps and are in another loading screen.

...Well the list goes on. (I am not going to hide them, because I do not want this stupid H on my PSNP.) I was sad about it. Really. So I started another account. It even has a platinum that I do not have on this account. But then I was thinking about that I have some time-intensive platinums on this account I really do not want to get again... Ni no Kuni took me over 120 hours. And I am for sure not going to farm these stupid turtles in Final Fantasy XIII again... And I decided to go back to this account.

I do not understand the argument with "I am mature now and trophies are stupid". I am going to turn 30 this year (I may not be the most mature person, I have autism sorry, but seriously, who on the internet is mature?) and trophies are FUN and motivation for me. A trophy is also an award, reward, prize, whatever. Back then, on older consoles I always was thinking that something is missing... Or maybe I just needed something or someone to tell me what to do, like trophies do. Trophies are basically also little goals to achieve. It is nice, really.

And yes, I am playing garbage games as well. When I am not in mood to do something serious. And haha I am country rank 172 now. I never was so high before. (Well and I did not really drop far when I took my one year break because of depressions. I have no idea what is going on in my country...) But you know what? I do not care if my platinum comes from a crap game. (Some of them are not even that bad!) I do not care what other people think about my list. I can admit that I am a filthy trophywhore. I currently have 92 crap games in my PSN-store wishlist. Give me the platinum, daddy! ?

Your account may not be perfect. But does it matter? You invested time and money into it. Keep playing with that account, but follow your new philosophy. What is wrong about that? Your account is a mirror of your gaming past. Do not deny it. Do not try to erase it. It is a part of you. Instead of wishing for a new life try to work on your current life. It is more satisfying than you think. Because you did something for it and did not run away from yourself.

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 2

I think the only reason to start a new account would be because you had unobtainable trophies on your list or you are some kind of cheater and got removed from the leaderboard. Beyond that there is really no good

reason to wipe out an existing account and start again, especially as you can change psn id now.  

Don’t want to play ratas anymore? Don’t!

Don’t want to do region stacks or VNs? Don’t!

Want to be free to play what you like? You already are!

The decision lies with you though OP. You don’t have many trophies so it wouldn’t be a big loss but I would suggest just playing what you like on your existing account and continuing to build its level.

You say you will never be at the sharp end of the UK board. I thought the same thing when I started trophy hunting and now I’m 5th overall and have been 1st on PS4 for the past couple of years. You may decide to change the way you play again in the future so keep your current account and those 100 or so plats!

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I got rid of one account because I was upset I had played Mass Effect 2 before Mass Effect 1.

I can’t tell you how relieved I am that this isn’t just me who thinks like that! Bugs me to no end that I have Fifa 15,16 and 17 as well as one random Assassin’s Creed entry on my account. 

No I've never considered it, even though I can never have a 100% profile. The reason is because of the accurate time stamps.

I can look back over my account and remember the games I played and how they related to what was going on in real life, the people I met on certain games and the friendships forged, the late nights, the frustrations, the achievements, successes, failures.

It gets said so many times but you've got to play the games you would want to play if there weren't any trophies. Then work on trophies.

• Like 3

Thinking about deleting it? No way. Starting another one for different gaming purposes? Heck yeah!

I think after some time every trophy hunter thinks about this hobby differently and wants to change some habits but it's totally up to you how you want to do that. If starting over sounds good to you go for it.

I put far too much fucking time, resources and money getting my account to where it is today to even consider starting over.

I have an alternate account (PSN Q-EBBLE) that I plan to make a 100 percent account, mostly to challenge myself with games I've done already by doing them quick. But that isn't starting over.

If you want to start over, then that is a decision you must make on your own. I couldn't care less, but people are free to do what they wish.

• Like 1

I made a completely new account (this one) for a few reasons.

- A new name. For some people usernames doesn't matter at all, but for me they do to a certain degree. I couldn't find any peace in playing under my former username.

- Incentive to replay a bunch of old games and getting their plat. Replaying the games on my old account just wasn't what I wanted, I needed the new account (and new username) to be able to redefine myself as a trophy hunter and gamer.

- The feeling of a fresh start. I could decide which games to plat in which order, which also gave me control over my trophy milestones on this page. It gave me a feeling of control that my former self had stripped from my current self by playing shit games for two minutes, leaving a permanent 1/52 trophies unlocked on my profile.

I would definitely recommend starting over if that's what you really want. Plats ultimately mean nothing, and if you're fine by it taking a long time for you having as many of them on a new account as you have on your current one, then why not? Besides, you'll get to revisit a bunch of the games you enjoyed.

However, if you do decide to make a new account, make sure you really want it. If you end up creating several new accounts, leaving the former ones for perceived 'mistakes' only a couple of weeks to months in, then you'll just end up wasting a lot of time and indulging a gamer-OCD that won't give you anything but grief and headaches in the long run. Then you'll be better off just continuing on the account you're on.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DieHardDavidN said:

1) Considered starting a new account or did start over on a new account and if so, what were your reasons?

2) Did you consider starting over but then decided just to stick to the account you have?

1. I did it out of necessity rather than wanting to, back when the great PSN hack happened I realized I misspelled my email when I created my account and couldn't recover (customer support was useless)

2. Nope, never. I'd rather stick with what I have, and that's why I have several games (not all) with an F rank, I am still playing catch up, but I find starting over too much of a hassle and I am totally fine with not having an account with only 100%'ed games, I don't plan to platinum all games (I refuse to do the max lvl PvP grind as an example)