Considering starting over with a new account. Has anyone else here ever done the same?

DieHardDavidN

I could never ever make a new PSN account, I could never leave behind my digital purchases and I'm proud (for the most part) of the trophies I've earned. I will never be able to be a completionist mostly due to playing the odd CoD here and there and just games I don't own and don't want to own. I refuse to hide any of my trophies. I'm kind of on-off with trophy hunting, but I usually play and platinum games I am genuinely interested in, It makes me feel accomplished.

Hello

I often view posts on here but rarely post but yours really did resonate with me as i had a very similar situation

I actually changed my profile quite a few years back now, i felt my overall % to completion was pretty rubbish and i hated looking at my stats, i also hated having a number at the end of my old username (before PlayStation letting you change username) and like yourself i was feeling depressed and other such stuff.

As many people have said, the only people who really care, is you. if you think that is good reason to start over then i would recommend it. You should 100% do what you think will make gaming more fun or help with your mood,  As some people have also said that it can be quite fun to start over, for me i personally loved seeing that 100% completion of every game i was playing at the time. it was only the early days of having this account that i was starting to doubt should i go back to my old one or not. as with most things. time heals or makes things easier to live with so after so many years now i wouldn't consider now going back to my old account. 

Would be great to know what you decide Hope it helps with your mood etc

I have never switched or changed accounts, and I never will. I know better than anyone else that my Trophy collection isn't perfect and won't ever reach 100% due to closed down online functionality, but I am very, very proud of what I have accomplished over the years no matter how it compares to other people and think it by and large provides a snapshot of what I like to play - even if this has become heavily skewed by my PS+ membership across a couple of years.

That card in my signature is a reflection of me, and I am proud of it and of myself - warts and all. So what if I missed out on online Trophies and have some dubious games like Travel Bug and Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion XL on there? All these games (save for the AssCreed garbage, that was my brother and I have to accept it) I made a concious decision to play and finish/give up on.

And in the end, for every dead Motorstorm Pacific Rim multiplayer Trophy, there are numerous Yakuza Trophies I enjoyed so, so much. For every Lara Croft GO, there is a WipEout 2048. For every game that had DLC added that I'll never bother with, there's a 100% Killzone 3 list. I'd never leave that, both the good and the bad, behind because it all represents memories of a decade of my life - and because it's something I will always enjoy adding more to.

OP, the choice is yours and yours alone - no one in this thread, least of all me, can make it for you. Even if there are some silly games on there, they are yours and you made the choice to play them. Don't be ashamed - own it, because Trophy Hunters will understand and relate to you, and normies will think Energy Cycle is something you set on your washing machine. But if you feel a fresh start is in order, then by all means, give it a try - your old profile will always be there to return to.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, DieHardDavidN said:

There’s a few garbage games I really regret putting on my profile like Slyde, Albedo, Energy Cycle, Crash Dummy and Little Adventure On The Prairie. 

I went through the stage of wanting to play anything I could to increase my trophy count as

1)I enjoyed getting trophies/Platinums in games and 

2) It was fun seeing my profile slowly moving up the UK country rank every few days.

However I came to the realisation that

1) I got to the stage where I was playing crappy games for points instead of playing just great games for fun and

2) Worrying about my country rank is kinda pointless as I know I’ll never be on the high end of the country rankings as I’ll never do the things people needed to do to stay at the top like playing multiple stacks/regions of games, playing Japanese visual novels etc.

I only have a measly 129 Platinums ? and none are UR so it’s not like I would be missing out on too much if I quit this account.

I have been feeling a bit ‘meh’ with depression lately so not sure if that’s making me think this way or not.

Just wondering if anyone here has ever

1) Considered starting a new account or did start over on a new account and if so, what were your reasons?

2) Did you consider starting over but then decided just to stick to the account you have?

Firstly, hope you're doing well buddy. Depression isn't fun.

Secondly, it's completely on you. Probably not very helpful, but I say this because such reflections often come from the opinions or expectations of others - even if subliminal or from surfing forums. I'm sure you have your own mind, but I have a recent anecdote exemplifying this personally (doesn't add much, just a personal reflection in relation to your 2 questions ). For what it's worth I think you have a good account, with some decent games in there, and you can always refocus your priorities with less 'cheese' if your habits have changed. I think it's cool when accounts chronicle a change in someone's gaming habits. Just make sure you keep your details if you do start a new account in case you decide to revert back!! 

Generally speaking, the PSNProfiles community is great! However, in November, I got lambasted on a thread by a few people with judgemental opinions on my gaming habits, where I made a poll asking whether I should or shouldn't go for the Death Stranding Platinum. I wasn't being mindless - I heard from many that it partially ruined the otherwise fun time they had because the post-game grind was so bad. Overwhelming feedback one way or the other may have helped me form an opinion as to whether the Platinum could have ruined my time. Instead, I had some pretty mean comments - berated for calling myself a 'completionist' because I don't get 100% in difficult games and/or because I have a backup where I play difficult/MP games ignoring trophies (not the way of the "true" completionist...) - that I had a very "artificial" and "weak" account, etc.

After this, I considered making a new PSN account to re-complete my stronger exclusives and go for some harder games. It made me doubt myself, and I don't have good self-esteem. However, ultimately I manage my account in a certain way and I don't really give a s**t what others think. I also reflected and found it ironic that on PS, apart from Slyde and NBA 2K preludes (which I regret), I have virtually no cheese - just AAA PS exclusives or critically well-received indies that happen to be easy (PS exclusives are often easier than Microsoft ones). On Xbox, where I do 80% of my gaming and play absolutely everything both harder and easier, I never had any problems or comments from people.

Ultimately, how you game, what you play, and how you manage your account is your business.

Edited by PhantomFear94

IMO the best way to focus on having fun and playing games you want is to have a profile that has blemishes. Inevitably, more blemishes will come your way, and unless you are using alternate accounts to screen games, they are a lot easier to accept on a flawed account.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, zizimonster said:

You enjoy platinuming crap games just for trophies, that's fine. You enjoy platinuming difficult games, that's also fine. You do what you enjoy. Nobody gives a damn about anybody's gaming profile, and I personally don't give a damn what people think of my gaming profile.

Games are about experiences. I enjoy these experiences through trophies. I can't even play games anymore without trophies. This stuff has become a part of my (gaming) life. I do what I enjoy, and I don't care what people think.

I concur! You play and enjoy games the way you want to. If you wanna plat 100 super easy games, fine. Nothing wrong with that. If you wanna plat 100 super hard games, fine. Nothing wrong with that.

At the end of the day, I don’t give a damn what people think of my profile and I don’t care how other profiles look. Gaming is meant to be fun, enjoyable, and creating those memorable moments. If that’s not doing it for you, stop and move onto something else. 

So bottom line: do what makes

you happy with your profile. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't call 129 Platinums a measly amount, that's still quite a lot of Platinums to lose. It's up to you at the end of the day. 

23 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

I concur! You play and enjoy games the way you want to. If you wanna plat 100 super easy games, fine. Nothing wrong with that. If you wanna plat 100 super hard games, fine. Nothing wrong with that.

At the end of the day, I don’t give a damn what people think of my profile and I don’t care how other profiles look. Gaming is meant to be fun, enjoyable, and creating those memorable moments. If that’s not doing it for you, stop and move onto something else. 

So bottom line: do what makes

you happy with your profile. 

Well said...

Honestly it's a bad idea for the reason you stat, unless it's the meaningful to you, which it may seem like at first but you may hate it later. 

I created a new account but I did it for very specific reasons that have little to do with platinums or trying to show off my profile. I own the OneSkillPoint name for just about everything and wanted to for my gaming profiles as well. It did help that my last profile didn't have any platinums and my new one has 9 and counting. But it's all games I want to play, all platinum that are fun to get. Gaming needs to be enjoyable and I'm just not sure you'll find the process enjoyable, but who knows.

19 hours ago, NZBigC said:

Sure, most of us have played garbage games such as the ones you mentioned in your first sentence,  but as long as they don't make up 80% of your profile, I do not have a problem with it. The only two types of profiles I have a 'problem' with are hacked/cheated ones and ones were 80%+ of games have 90%+ completion rates and there are several stacks of them.

I have never thought about creating a new account because (wait for the cringe) it shows my journey (vomit) as a trophy hunter. I went through a phase were I just had to get as many trophies as possible in as short a time I could, so I too have a bunch of garbage trophies in the middle of my list. 

Just embrace who you are and who you once were :)

I totally agree with this post here..... It's nice to look back and reminisce and say things like oh god i cant believe i did this or that .......

Dear DieHardDavidN,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for posting this topic because I think it is something that a lot of people that use this website have thought about or have already done. To be quite honest, I have to disagree with you because I think your account is very impressive and shows a lot of time and effort that you have put in over the past 4 years. I think it wouldn't really hurt if you tried creating a 2nd account and maybe started collecting some trophies so see how you feel about it.

Personally, I created my account with the plan of making it a 100% account for the same reasons that you have mentioned but I quickly realized I was unable to stay on track. I am unable to focus on one or two games at a time, complete them, and then move on to new games. I started this account 2 years ago and I've already dug myself into a completion percentage hole. I was finding that I wouldn't play a game based on if I thought I wouldn't be able to get all of the trophies. I don't really think that is a healthy mindset to have when it comes to gaming, so for me, a 100% profile wouldn't be an authentic representation of who I am.

There is a lot of great information that other people have posted on this topic regarding their own experiences and their thoughts on this so I hope you come to a decision that makes you happy in the long run.

Thank you again for posting. :)

Edited by grahamrogers
  • Like 2

I've been thinking about starting a new account in NA region since I moved to US and it is hard for me to get PSN cards (the price on PlayAsia is horrible if not in holiday). When I check my trophy list, however, it reminds me how much effort I put in during the past years. Even if some games are no more plat-able they are still worth for me to remember, and this is why I'm still using my AS account. Please enjoy those games and trophies, easy-plats are also... plats :D

4 minutes ago, grahamrogers said:

Dear DieHardDavidN,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for posting this topic because I think it is something that a lot of people that use this website have thought about or have already done. To be quite honest, I have to disagree with you because I think your account is very impressive and shows a lot of time and effort that you have put in over the past 4 years. I think it wouldn't really hurt if you tried creating a 2nd account and maybe started collecting some trophies so see how you feel about it.

Personally, I created my account with the plan of making it a 100% account for the same reasons that you have mentioned but I quickly realized I was unable to stay on track. I am unable to focus on one or two games at a time, complete them, and then move on to new games. I started this account 2 years ago and I've already dug myself into a completion percentage hole.

There is a lot of great information that other people have posted on this topic regarding their own experiences and their thoughts on this so I hope you come to a decision that makes you happy in the long run.

Thank you again for posting. :)

This was an incredibly kind, polite, and thoughtful response.  I am not around all that often, but hope to read more posts from you!

I don't think I would ever start a new account with certain goal etc. I really enjoy looking back on trophy list as a history of things I have played on the playstation. I do the same thing from time to time with my steam top hour played. Just looked back at the record of things ive played and enjoying the memories

I'm likely not a good example of someone who "wouldn't start a new account" at the eyes of many, but I'm mainly posting to agree 100% with @Golem25 opinion.

Our accounts are our gaming history, and if you are somewhat ashamed of games that you played on the past, then simply play games that will counter balance that in the future. It's not easy, but I take more respect to that than someone that just starts a new account to run from that past. 

I actually know someone (will not name) that wasn't happy with his completion % (even though was much higher than mine) and he just went back to clean up older games. Later since he wasn't happy with his average rarity (was quite high) because of the kind of games that he played years ago, he started going after quite hard games (some of which I have given up to plat years ago), and he looks to be doing some good work to improve his profile. 

That's just an example of someone who instead of trying to leave (run from) the past, decided to look at it, and started improving his profile.

Me, personally, I'm trying to get back to my old 90+% (my top was 92%) completion, while keeping my average rarity under 36% (when the stats was added I was under 35%), but I still play everything that interests me. But as I said, I'm a terrible example of someone that wouldn't start a new profile (although, wasn't someone with a way bigger profile than mine that actually started a new profile for some reason too?) 

PS: No, I'm not making this story up, but since it's a friend of mine, I also don't want to name him publicly without his consent. 

• Like 3

Nope, I've never considered it, even though I will never have a perfect profile thanks to different reasons: unnobtainable platinums like nba2k16, platinums that are far from my skill level like Street Fighter V or games that i don't really care anymore like Disc Jam

I played some crappy games for trophy purposes too and i can live with them...

I just have 2 rules:

• Never stack games. 
  • Never hide trophies.

Yeah, i want to have a nice looking profile with a high completion rate because, you know...the OCD side, but i don't have any problems to play some difficult games from time to time if i know i will love the game like SFV (i want to finally play Wolfenstein 2 this year among other games like olliolli, but this is an expensive hobby if you live in Argentina).

@Han_the_Dragon "Our accounts are our gaming history, and if you are somewhat ashamed of games that you played on the past, then simply play games that will counter balance that in the future. It's not easy, but I take more respect to that than someone that just starts a new account to run from that past."

Resultado de imagen para applause gif WELL SAID SIR!

oh!, one final thing...UR trophies are overrated imo. Cheers

Edited by ShinigamiSensei-
  • Like 2

Great topic and I'm glad to see the differing opinions here shared respectfully -- there's no need for elitism in gaming. Things like entertainment, escapism, sense of accomplishment, and community are a big part of why I think anyone plays games. Trophy counts, rarity, and completion rates are a relative part of that experience.

The easiest reason I have for not starting over is $, which I'm surprised I haven't seen mentioned. With the free PS+ games each month and most of my titles bought on generous digital sales I'd really be starting my library from scratch on a new account.

Beyond this, my flawed trophy log grew on me. I have earned and unearned trophies that are now impossible. I have trophy lists that started because I popped one at a friends' house as player 2. I have trophies that strangers messaged me to earn together. I have trophies that challenged me for hours and countless attempts. I have some of the cheesy, easy usual suspects (think My Name is Mayo) from when I was figuring out what trophy hunting meant to me. There are games that I ended up loving but hesitated for months to add because of my current completion % or their trophy list. There are games I've 100%-ed and still find myself playing.

Some of the things in my last paragraph used to bother me, but that was an imaginary pressure I was creating for myself. Now I enjoy the stories and record that lives in my trophies. Whatever your trophy log looks like, YOU RULE!

• Like 1

this acc is about 7 months old, I started again been hammering it out and enjoying myself. I didn't enjoy playing or earning trophies on my old acc, I love all games (till they piss me off) so quite happy to trophy hunt. Im trying to earn ultras and maintain completion, bit of a struggle but not too bad so far.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84

Surprised that many agree on making a new account.

Don't, you're free to do whatever you want, but the time you invested won't be coming back, and as cheesy as it sounds, they're a good reminder of your journey, if you feel you have too many trash platinums,  start doing serious platinums,  9/10 of my ultra rares were gained in the last year and an half, in the almost 10 years I had this account, so you always have the chance to change your profile, no excuses! You can also make another account for a 100%  profile, but ditch the one you have? It's such a waste.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh