Considering starting over with a new account. Has anyone else here ever done the same?

DieHardDavidN

The first account I ever created was a little more than 10 years ago and lasted for about 3.5 years. Then I realized that I had put a lot of crappy games or games I didn't want and was adding more and more just to have them and to see my collection grow in number (silly I know). Then I decided to create a new account so I could start fresh and only put games I was interest in but after 2.5 years I again realized that some games that I thought I was interested at the time, after all, didn't want them.

So in the 3rd account this process had been "refined" and I was making good progress, just adding games as I played them and not all at once like with the other 2 accounts and was also making trophies faster with good average per day. Then it got to a situation that I had to hide the trophies for a game because I cheated using a save just so I could have the Platinum without having to have the work because it would take time and I wanted to move on. It was the only time I ever did this but was enough to be discovered and so I felt I messed up with this account and didn't want to have hidden trophies or be classified as a cheater. It lasted almost 2 years and that's when I finally decided to give one last shot and created this one.

But now, after another 2 years, my "OCD" is kicking in to the point where I want everything to be perfect, even tho I know it's impossible. I'm focusing too much on thophy milestones, level history, average per day (wishing it would be higher, again, silly i know) and the fact that I didn't won any trophy in 2019 is the biggest one because it creates this "gap" on the profile that makes me uneasy. I thought about starting a 5th account and put all this flaws behind me and start fresh with the knowledge I have today but I love my ID (for me is also important) and I don't want to lose it. And if I create a new account, what guarantees do I have that I will not do everything again for the 6th time in a few years? It becomes a never ending cycle that I can't get out from and will always want this or that better than before, and more importantly, will lose platinums along the way because of server shutdowns and other factors.

In the last few days I have been thinking more about this and so it has affected me harder because I really wanted to start all over again but I just can't. Just the fact that I would lose this ID would make the new account no longer "perfect". It's a real conundrum and I'm trying to move foward but every now and then these thoughts come back. At least I haven't made any mistakes regarding the games I've played so far but the other things makes this account "contaminated" for me.

Edited by PedromscX
  • Like 1

I made another alternative account for replaying some of my favorite games and having the joy of gaining their platinums once again but lately I have been playing so much on this new account that it's slowly becoming my new main account ?. I'm still undecided though as I have so much history with my original account, how much it truly means to me, and the amazing friends that I have met and have stuck with me even through the most difficult times.

In the end of the I'm personally having fun and I'm happy so that's what truly matters!

On 2/14/2020 at 6:38 AM, DieHardDavidN said:

I have been feeling a bit ‘meh’ with depression lately so not sure if that’s making me think this way or not.

Just wondering if anyone here has ever

1) Considered starting a new account or did start over on a new account and if so, what were your reasons?

2) Did you consider starting over but then decided just to stick to the account you have?

I've dabbled in starting over a time or two and for a couple of reasons and for me it really didn't work out and I ended reviving my original account.

One time I was going through depression/stress when I was in between professions, and was finding unfinished games daunting. Also, I had a bad habit of playing games for the wrong reasons (e.g., friend recommendations, easy trophy lists but shit games, etc.) Translation: I wasn't having fun, which is really the goal here right? In end, I just go with the flow. I don't play anything I don't feel like playing and no longer push myself to finish something if it causes stress, irritation or not fun. I don't even have gaming goals anymore, as those cause stress when they are not met.

I think the only advice I can give, is to keep your old account to include backing up all saves. If you feel the need to go back, everything is there waiting for you. In end, just do what you feel like...it's not the end of the world or anything. ?

Similar to OP I just don't have much fun as i used to playing all the fast plats and stacking 6 times .... I've considered creating a new acct multiple times. Would only be fun games that i enjoy. Would be a reason to not play every single trash game or rush games for leaderboard spots and get away from that stuff/politics/people etc. Missed out on tons of jrpgs and such unfortunately over the years.  Also i was becoming super negative so it would have been a way to rid myself of that as well. Trying to switch to only good games hasn't really worked well on this acct as of yet ...... i just continually see all the work/time/effort etc going to waste so I think at times just leaving it would be better ..... Still trying though

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Unknown_v2_0 said:

Similar to OP I just don't have much fun as i used to playing all the fast plats and stacking 6 times .... I've considered creating a new acct multiple times. Would only be fun games that i enjoy. Would be a reason to not play every single trash game or rush games for leaderboard spots and get away from that stuff/politics/people etc. Missed out on tons of jrpgs and such unfortunately over the years.  Also i was becoming super negative so it would have been a way to rid myself of that as well. Trying to switch to only good games hasn't really worked well on this acct as of yet ...... i just continually see all the work/time/effort etc going to waste so I think at times just leaving it would be better ..... Still trying though

With your position on the leaderboard and high completion percentage to the number of games played I can only imagine how tough it would be to abandon the account and start fresh. Hoping you will find some peace with whatever decision you make man. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MrTrofyHuntr said:

With your position on the leaderboard and high completion percentage to the number of games played I can only imagine how tough it would be to abandon the account and start fresh. Hoping you will find some peace with whatever decision you make man. 

Yeah that's the thing .... its like i put so much into getting high up but its not even all that special up there.... like all i feel is that i am trying to hold on. And then you know i was only posting negative things and attacks and being an a-hole at times for a like 2 years....(which is very unlike who i want to be and bugs me)

But i guess I posted to tell some others that even me being high up on the leaderboard considers abandoning it. Even though there were definiteley points where it was almost all I cared about. So I totally understand others doing that and it might be better for some to do actually. Have several I talked to (even high up ranks) that are so much happier having gotten away from playing all the trash and focusing too much on the leaderboards. Not saying everyone should just go make a new acct right away but for some it might be best.

Edited by Unknown_v2_0

3rd account here, no regrets. I can always look at my old profiles on this site if I want to reminisce so no problems there.

Made my first account on ps3 and didn’t like like my username much. Created a new one when I got the PS4 for a fresh start. Naturally, being in the lounge room and being used as a media hub for family/friends/visitors, I had a lot of crap on my profile. Random games, friend requests, messages etc, even had people buy things from the PSN store due to my credit cards being saved. 

Thats why I created a new account last year and put a PIN on my profile, a bit of privacy, my own close friends lists etc. I’ve always been fairly casual regarding trophies but being a father now and having a slight OCD, I’ve also challenged myself to finish games in my backlog and stop buying new games so often to save money lol. It’s half working. ?

I dont give a a crap about leaderboards, country rankings, daily trophies, milestones etc, I just play games I think or know I will enjoy, so I feel a lot better with my profile now.

Edited by Kcrack_Km

18 minutes ago, Unknown_v2_0 said:

Yeah that's the thing .... its like i put so much into getting high up but its not even all that special up there.... like all i feel is that i am trying to hold on. And then you know i was only posting negative things and attacks and being an a-hole at times for a like 2 years....(which is very unlike who i want to be and bugs me)

Then why the hell am I working so hard for?! ? In all seriousness, I would challenge your comments here, Unknown. I’ve been a fan for awhile as you know so I would bet that being top ranked has some perks (e.g., exposure to more exclusive communities, making new friends, earlier access to new content, publisher/developer relationships, etc.). I guess it depends how you brand yourself and whether you outreach a lot and even if you want that kind of notoriety. In the end I know you just wanna have fun playing games that you enjoy. Cheering you on buddy ?

I say stick with your account. You've acknowledged that you went after easy games/plats, so from now on you can choose more investment worthy games. It's interesting to note a gamer's phases by their play history and I feel you could go upward from the place you're at, if you want to do so.

Myself, this has been my sole account and I don't intend to make another one for whatever reasons.

• Like 2

I did it once, but wasn't far into my platinum journey but wanted to change regions from Ireland to Japan, as I emigrated to never return to Ireland, and like playing Japanese versions of games as I studied the language. I had an old account called lava_princeton, and I had just 4 plats- FF13, FF13-2, Tales of vesperia and Tales of Graces in the two years i used that account. I started this account and basically redid these 4 utterly time consuming platinums, Vesperia was a real killer having to do all that again but as a trophy hunter I couldn't help it. But once I got the four plats again, it was a breath of relief and the start of a new Platinum journey. 

The account I have now is this one I always use, I haven't logged into my old one in years but it's there as a user on my PS4. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember starting over once or twice before Sony allowed screen name changes and hiding unwanted trophies on profiles.  It definitely didn't help playing single-player JRPGs that you had to slog through in order to get 100% completion.  I'm enjoying Knights of Valour right now, but I'm pissed that one of the exploration trophies requires an online multiplayer round that you have to pray people will cooperate to play.  I'd trust the PSN friends who were all like, Doc!  you gotta get this game and play wif us! only to not play it.  ?  

Anyway, I didn't read the OP response that started all this.  I'll just tell anybody, hey, if you need a friend to look up stuff to give tips or if it's a game I've got with multi-player options, add me and let me help.  It's all good.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes I think about that too. I really like the idea to start a new account because I dont like my account anymore.

BUT there're two major reasons why I didnt already start a new one.

1. I wasted (and I really mean wasted) way to much time on this account only to put him into the grave at the end. I have a lot of good memories and met great people through out the year with this account but mostly I wasted my life with shitty collectibles, grind and MP stuff.

2. I dont like the thought about re doing games. Sounds stupid I know but I already see myself in front of the screen, replay all AC and Souls Games because I like them so much. At that point I would waste my time again to have a 100% completion even though I like these games in general.

Maybe I'll start a new on when the PS5 comes out.

Edited by xXAaronBroXx

• 1 month later...
On 22/03/2020 at 8:30 PM, xXAaronBroXx said:

Sometimes I think about that too. I really like the idea to start a new account because I dont like my account anymore.

BUT there're two major reasons why I didnt already start a new one.

1. I wasted (and I really mean wasted) way to much time on this account only to put him into the grave at the end. I have a lot of good memories and met great people through out the year with this account but mostly I wasted my life with shitty collectibles, grind and MP stuff.

2. I dont like the thought about re doing games. Sounds stupid I know but I already see myself in front of the screen, replay all AC and Souls Games because I like them so much. At that point I would waste my time again to have a 100% completion even though I like these games in general.

Maybe I'll start a new on when the PS5 comes out.

I ended up using an alt as my main in the past as I felt like starting over for my own reasons but a month or two (or maybe more) later, I switched back to my old account because couldn’t be fucked to go through certain platinums and 100%’s all again, I just wanted to try some other games out instead of going through the same stuff again so I can relate on not wanting to go through some of the same shit again.

Edited by BrettyBoy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 24.4.2020 at 7:54 PM, BrettyBoy said:

I ended up using an alt as my main in the past as I felt like starting over for my own reasons but a month or two (or maybe more) later, I switched back to my old account because couldn’t be fucked to go through certain platinums and 100%’s all again, I just wanted to try some other games out instead of going through the same stuff again so I can relate on not wanting to go through some of the same shit again.

My biggest wish for the PS5 would be that Sony simply deletes the trophysystem function. You'll still getting trophies from PS3 and PS4 games but not for PS5 games. Then everyone would play games for fun and only if they enjoy it. For me it's a stupid addiction to get trophies but I'm to weak to fight against it.

2 hours ago, xXAaronBroXx said:

My biggest wish for the PS5 would be that Sony simply deletes the trophysystem function. You'll still getting trophies from PS3 and PS4 games but not for PS5 games. Then everyone would play games for fun and only if they enjoy it. For me it's a stupid addiction to get trophies but I'm to weak to fight against it.

Damn. 

• 2 years later...

I've made several new accounts and now I'm finding I regret ever leaving my first one. I had some solid rare plats you can't get anymore. Now I have a ps5 only account so I don't waste more time playing the same games over and over as I've already played them on old accounts. My bf has his original one and I'm a bit envious but ultimately I am happy with what I ended up with. It's been a journey of self discovery. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vulpine9Tails said:

I've made several new accounts and now I'm finding I regret ever leaving my first one. I had some solid rare plats you can't get anymore. Now I have a ps5 only account so I don't waste more time playing the same games over and over as I've already played them on old accounts. My bf has his original one and I'm a bit envious but ultimately I am happy with what I ended up with. It's been a journey of self discovery. 

me too. my old accs didnt have great plats but i had ps home and some dlc that are now delisted.

On 13/02/2020 at 9:49 PM, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

I actually went through starting a new account twice. First time I made a new account on purpose since I wanted to have a perfect 100% account which was no longer possible with my first one.

Second time around I was forced to, because my accoutn was hacked and this person left 100+ hacked platinums on my account which got my account banned on leaderboards. It got removed from this site completely. I lost my fastest achievers, first achievers etc. which was annoying and I had some badass plats on it as some people might remember.

Starting a new account is kinda fun since you have a reason to replay some games you enjoyed but on the other hand you won't be able to get some plats again due to servers being down etc. I can't plat Motorstorm PR again due to servers and I loved the game as well as get Lost Planet 2 platinum for the third time (got it on both accounts before) due to leaderboards being hacked a few years ago.

The beginning is hard starting a new account but at some point you will start to like your new account like I do now. Another thing which is kinda hard is finding motivation to re-do some games which made you sweat or were grindy. For that reason I don't feel like re-doing stuff like Time Crisis Razing Storm, Tom Clancy's Endwar etc. I no longer play some games just for super rare plats, I don't go for stacks and I try to avoid super shitty games at all costs.

Could you not have appealed the 2nd one?

My 2 cents, I have no interest in ever starting a new account. Never have, even with incompletes & 1/71 trophies in a single game. Get your mind out of the numbers game & these false boundaries that these trackers bring. I go through waves like today I'm going to play some of these free PS Plus games that I never play, tomorrow I feel like finishing off some old games, & maybe by the weekend I want to play something totally new. Just because all the gym bros do chest & tri's on Monday doesn't mean I'm going to. I work out to an 8-day schedule not a 7-day calendar. There are no rules & no boundaries. These only exist if you let them exist. Do you what you feel is best for yourself because in the end no one gives a sht about anyone's trophies.

• Like 1

On 13.2.2020 at 10:38 PM, DieHardDavidN said:

There’s a few garbage games I really regret putting on my profile like Slyde, Albedo, Energy Cycle, Crash Dummy and Little Adventure On The Prairie. 

I went through the stage of wanting to play anything I could to increase my trophy count as

1)I enjoyed getting trophies/Platinums in games and 

2) It was fun seeing my profile slowly moving up the UK country rank every few days.

However I came to the realisation that

1) I got to the stage where I was playing crappy games for points instead of playing just great games for fun and

2) Worrying about my country rank is kinda pointless as I know I’ll never be on the high end of the country rankings as I’ll never do the things people needed to do to stay at the top like playing multiple stacks/regions of games, playing Japanese visual novels etc.

I only have a measly 129 Platinums ? and none are UR so it’s not like I would be missing out on too much if I quit this account.

I have been feeling a bit ‘meh’ with depression lately so not sure if that’s making me think this way or not.

Just wondering if anyone here has ever

1) Considered starting a new account or did start over on a new account and if so, what were your reasons?

2) Did you consider starting over but then decided just to stick to the account you have?

If you don't care about your rank, why start a new account. You care too much about what people think of your games, I guess

I have so many shit games on my trophy list because I would just buy anything for easy trophies when there was a sale on. I regret it and have definitely considered starting again a few times but I have too many games which took too much time that I’m proud of. I couldn’t do those again. I do start all over in games that I love but starting an entire new profile is too much. Each to their own but I personally have considered it but I’m confident I never will start again