Watch_Dogs 2 Platinum Trophy Review

TheDblTap

Interesting write-up and a seemingly easy Plat.

However, having to engage in any way, shape, or form with a Ubisoft open world is my personal idea of Hell, so I wouldn't touch the game with a ten foot barge pole.

Edited by Golem25

15 minutes ago, Golem25 said:

Interesting wrtie-up and a seemingly easy Plat.

However, having to engage in any way, shape, or form with a Ubisoft open world is my personal idea of Hell, so I wouldn't touch the game with a ten foot barge pole.

That Ubisoft bashing is so stupid i dont get it.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, TheDblTap said:

They've been improving quite well this gen. Odyssey was pretty great so I'm looking forward to seeing how they improve in the next gen :)

I personally prefer what Ubisoft did back in the PS2 era and early PS3 era. Assassins Creed 2 is without a doubt one of my favorite games to come from Ubisoft. That's probably nostalgia talking, but I played Origins for a few hours and I don't think I ever got so bored with a Ubisoft open world game than with that. They managed to make perhaps the most interesting and fascinating ancient civilization in history in a turbulent time period... boring.

The Far Cry model has to change. They've kept with the same model since Far Cry 3 and I noticed with Far Cry: New Dawn it's more of the same shit.

Watch Dogs 2 looks pretty easy, but I want to ask you about the online trophies. Are they pretty easy for the most part? I've heard of people having some issues with the online trophies in Watch Dogs 1, which I plan to play first because I prefer to play a series in chronological order. How are the online trophies in both games?

Edited by Spaz

20 minutes ago, TheDblTap said:

They've been improving quite well this gen. Odyssey was pretty great so I'm looking forward to seeing how they improve in the next gen :)

Origins/Odyssey, the Division 1&2, For honor, r6siege are just top tier games.

Wildlands and Far cry 5 are pretty decent.

trackmania and trials are some of the best challenging plat this gen.

i found Watch dogs 2 really amazing to play and plat. Way more satisfying than any gta gameokay wise.

Overall Ubi is probably the only AAA studio that really delivered this gen but still some random guy on internet keeps bashing for no reason.

13 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Watch Dogs 2 looks pretty easy, but I want to ask you about the online trophies. Are they pretty easy for the most part? I've heard of people having some issues with the online trophies in Watch Dogs 1, which I plan to play first because I prefer to play a series in chronological order. How are the online trophies in both games?

Online trophies were an issue back in the days but everything is fine now.

i played wd1 not a long time ago and the matchmaking is incredibly alive for an old game. Instant queue for the most part.

Edited by Shorah-

11 minutes ago, Shorah- said:

Origins/Odyssey, the Division 1&2, For honor, r6siege are just top tier games.

Wildlands and Far cry 5 are pretty decent.

trackmania and trials are some of the best challenging plat this gen.

i found Watch dogs 2 really amazing to play and plat. Way more satisfying than any gta gameokay wise.

Overall Ubi is probably the only AAA studio that really delivered this gen but still some random guy on internet keeps bashing for no reason.

because ubisoft is shit. what you’re describing is like saying every cod that comes out is great. cool if you think ubisoft nailed it but if you look closer, every game since far cry 3 and assassins creed black flag have been nothing but one big copy the same assets and put in a bunch of oversaturated fetch quests with a bunch of meaningless things to do with an incredible boring story fest.

ubisoft was king back on the ps2. if you want to be good at baking something, it doesnt make sense to bake using the same recipe every single time. you want to stand out and try something else right? ubisoft follows the same recipe for their games which is why so many of their games have towers to uncover the map and the same boring structure of mission designs and a story arc that is so boring i want to hang myself.

Edited by UlvenFenrir
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Shorah- said:

There have been a number of AAA studios that have delivered. Ubisoft has been inconsistent at best. Far Cry 5 and Far Cry: New Dawn look incredibly boring to play. I won't touch any of their newer Tom Clancy games, their latest Tom Clancy game had so many problems at launch I'm surprised more people didn't just call out on Ubisoft for making a half assed product.

Assassins Creed Unity was boring and a slog. Syndicate was alright, but not as good as Assassins Creed 2 or Brotherhood in terms of appeal and charm. I didn't find Origins to be that great. Maybe Odyssey will change my mind, when I get around to it a year from now.

12 minutes ago, Shorah- said:

Online trophies were an issue back in the days but everything is fine now.

i played wd1 not a long time ago and the matchmaking is incredibly alive for an old game. Instant queue for the most part.

Watch Dogs 1 isn't that old. Far Cry 2 still has players and that game is pushing 12 years old, which is pretty amazing considering how shit that game was. Didn't like it at all when I played on the Xbox 360.

I'll play the first one and see how that pans out, then the second one eventually. Hopefully I'll get around to both this year.

Edited by Spaz

Woah did not expect the big conflict, haha.

Ubisoft is okay. 

They still release unfinished games riddled with glitches, they still overcharge for DLC and cosmetic items (but what triple-A company doesn't these days). Their games need just a bit more love put into them.

I agree Origins was boring as hell but Odyssey was an improvement on that and the story was great. It's almost a shame they changed the formula because they actually started to get it right with Syndicate IMO, few more tweaks and it could've been really good. That said, I still loved Odyssey - and trust me, even I am surprised to hear myself say that I loved a Ubisoft game.

Last gen they started off on a high and just quickly dissolved into the same gross icky mess that EA turned into, but Ubisoft are making a visible effort to move away from that, at least with some of their IPs.

They're still too business-conscious to make 10/10 games, with tight deadlines and "corporate greed" putting their dev teams into choke-holds which ultimately result in the unfinished games we see today.

I do think that they will step things up next-gen and really bring themselves back to the top - or at the very least, near it.

Thems my two cents, do with 'em what you will.

Have a good weekend, guys!

@TheDblTap Ubisoft is one of the biggest gaming companies out there. They're all over.

From personal experience, a couple times when I wanted them to contact them for something I found them to be incredibly un-consumer friendly. They're a big business that does things by the numbers. Artistic creativity really isn't Ubisoft's strong suit, not when their Far Cry series has pretty much followed a cut and paste formula since Far Cry 3.

So far I've enjoyed Syndicate the most in this generation of Assassins Creed games. I really wish they did more with Jacob and Evie Frye, particularly Evie although I don't want that to be pushing the feminist SJW agenda bullshit that is all the rage these days. In Origins the protagonists son dies, haven't we seen that enough since Assassins Creed 2?

I will definitely agree that Assassins Creed has improved steadily since the travesty that was Unity, but Ubisoft still has a lot of work to do with the franchise.

Far Cry so far has been a disappointment. I can't comment on Far Cry 5 and New Dawn too deeply but they're practically the same as Far Cry 4 and Far Cry Primal, just in a different skin color. You played Far Cry 4 in the Himalayan Mountains, you played Far Cry Primal which is basically the stone age, but was so stupid because they used a stereotypical redneck Larry the Cable Guy type character and completely made up the language. Far Cry 5 is basically rural Montana with a bunch of redneck gun toting, Republican American Flag supporting idiots, Far Cry New Dawn is supposedly a generation later taking place in the same area that is focused on survival. Just.... meh.

Sorry I got very carried away there.

I enjoyed some of their games, other games were a complete slog to get through.

Watch Dogs will be a new experience for me, I just hope it won't be exactly like Far Cry or Assassins Creed. 

Edited by Spaz

28 minutes ago, Spaz said:

There have been a number of AAA studios that have delivered. Ubisoft has been inconsistent at best. Far Cry 5 and Far Cry: New Dawn look incredibly boring to play. I won't touch any of their newer Tom Clancy games, their latest Tom Clancy game had so many problems at launch I'm surprised more people didn't just call out on Ubisoft for making a half assed product.

Assassins

which studio delivered? EA? Bethesda ? Square ? Blizzard? Namco You cannot be serious.

@Spaz I never was a huge fan of FarCry but I couldn't be less interested in FarCry 5, FarCrry 4 was nothing compared to FarCry 3 which was fantastic, but an outlier since FarCry 2 sucked so much too.

On top of that, and the fact I never made it through Primal because it was boring, FarCry 5 is clearly heavily aimed towards an American audience, playing on the current political situation there, but I'm British. And all British people do is sit back, watch and say "Wow, are they dumb over there or what?"... Not that we can talk given our equally moronic political situation.

Also, I don't really want to play a game with political themes, even Watch_Dogs 2's moderate lean into politics almost lost me for a sec.

But I get what you're saying, FarCry as a franchise has been dying for a while now. 

I wish they'd release blood dragon for PS4 though!

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Watch Dogs 2 is more or less the same as its prequel in terms of difficulty. In the prequel, the hardest part would be getting those online ten hacking invasions. In the sequel, it would be killing five fugitives in Bounty Hunter mode.

Story-wise, I prefer Watch Dogs to Watch Dogs 2. Aiden Pearce is an overall better protagonist than Marcus Holloway. Ubisoft made the sequel overly humorous, and I don't like it. However, gameplay-wise, Watch Dogs 2 is much better experience than its predecessor.

8 minutes ago, TheDblTap said:

@Spaz I never was a huge fan of FarCry but I couldn't be less interested in FarCry 5, FarCrry 4 was nothing compared to FarCry 3 which was fantastic, but an outlier since FarCry 2 sucked so much too.

On top of that, and the fact I never made it through Primal because it was boring, FarCry 5 is clearly heavily aimed towards an American audience, playing on the current political situation there, but I'm British. And all British people do is sit back, watch and say "Wow, are they dumb over there or what?"... Not that we can talk given our equally moronic political situation.

Also, I don't really want to play a game with political themes, even Watch_Dogs 2's moderate lean into politics almost lost me for a sec.

But I get what you're saying, FarCry as a franchise has been dying for a while now. 

I wish they'd release blood dragon for PS4 though!

Trust me I've run into my fair share of idiots here in America who constantly gripe about the political situation. People just don't want to think.

I take it you're still young, and the best you can do is not become just another sheep in the herd.

That's one reason I like to play indies. No political theme bullshit, indies when done right go back to the fundamentals. But I've already derailed this topic long enough.

6 minutes ago, zizimonster said:

Watch Dogs 2 is more or less the same as its prequel in terms of difficulty. In the prequel, the hardest part would be getting those online ten hacking invasions. In the sequel, it would be killing five fugitives in Bounty Hunter mode.

Story-wise, I prefer Watch Dogs to Watch Dogs 2. Aiden Pearce is an overall better protagonist than Marcus Holloway. Ubisoft made the sequel overly humorous, and I don't like it. However, gameplay-wise, Watch Dogs 2 is much better experience than its predecessor.

That's basically Assassins Creed Unity to Assassins Creed Syndicate. Arno could of been a pretty good protagonist but Ubisoft really didn't know what to do with him. The story was told in a serious manner, and the way Ubisoft handled Elise was a huge waste. But some of the story was a bit interesting since it took place during the French Revolution. Gameplay wise, Unity just wasn't all that fun.

In Syndicate Ubisoft basically made the story humorous as opposed to being told in a more disciplined, serious tone as they did with Unity. They made Jacob the leader of a gang that is going to take over London. Just.... how? Evie was probably the only decent character but Ubisoft spent too much time focusing on her quest for the Piece of Eden. The villain was literally a mustache twirling fellow. Gameplay in Syndicate is much improved over Unity.

3 hours ago, TheDblTap said:

Ubisoft is okay. 

I don't think it's "okay" lol.

Among most Assassin's Creed I have played, they just have shitty controls (except Odyssey and Origins) that would ruin all your gameplay experience. Your protagonists jump to wherever they want, even if you don't want them to, which makes some platforming missions frustrating, and Unity even has the worst battle system and detect mechanism. Some optional sync objects are just ill-designed, like some time-limited objects in AC3 and some no-dmg in Ezio trilogy. Seems like their devs will never play their games and check if the objects are reasonable or not, and they just add those into the game.

Besides, most of Ubisoft's game have insane glitches that will stuck your character somewhere, sometimes bring out the infamous CE-34878-0 error, and I have only seen this in Ubisoft games, no Capcom, no Square Enix, no Atlus, no From Software, and no Santa Monica. For AC3 the DLC save glitch will even erase your saves (yeah just don't use the pre-activated 3rd saveslot).

Ubisoft should seek improvements on their gameplay and tweak the battle and platforming system, instead of making their studios like a Fort assembly line puking out "AAA" games every year, and they still have a long way to go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Agree the clunkiness of the older AC titles turned me off.  The gameplay was just not right, dude would parkour off any object.  And forced stealth missions were annoying.  Black Flag I enjoyed because of the pirate theme and being out on the open water.  And the open world exploring.  The story missions were a chore.

looking forward to playing Odyssey (at some point).  Sounds like they corrected a lot of the old problems,

I loved the Far Cry series, one of favorites,   Far Cry 3 still holds a special place in my heart but Far Cry 5 was strong too.  They do need to innovate a little here without messing up the overall appeal.

On 2/15/2020 at 6:56 AM, TheDblTap said:

On top of that, and the fact I never made it through Primal because it was boring, FarCry 5 is clearly heavily aimed towards an American audience, playing on the current political situation there, but I'm British. And all British people do is sit back, watch and say "Wow, are they dumb over there or what?"... 

If you're ever puzzled as to what Americans are doing/ thinking/ etc., apply the 7/10 Doctrine.  As in, 7 out of 10 Americans are complete morons. Looking at oddities from that perspective, we make a whole lot more sense. 

Edited by PerryToxteth

• 9 months later...

Definitely a straightforward Platinum. Online stuff only took a couple of hours and the rest of the trophies were either story / side-mission related or simple open-world stuff. No having to pick up hundreds of collectibles, and a generally enjoyable and socially relevant storyline. No complaints here.