Hard = Bronze & Extreme = Silver... Are you kidding me?

Illuvial

I've been playing this game quite a bit, and based on my experience thus far, beating Hard mode is definitely worth a SIlver trophy, and since this game has no Gold trophy, either beating Extreme difficulty should earn a Gold or unlocking all of the art should earn a Gold. Seriously, something should earn a Gold medal.

• Like 2

If you're complaining based on difficulty level, I don't understand why.  I'm on hard mode right now (I thought I could unlock extreme just by finishing the game once, then play on extreme and get the hard trophy by doing so.  (For those who don't know, you need to beat the game on hard mode to unlock extreme)) and it's not that bad.  Yes, you take a whole heart of damage and you have lives, unlike on easy, but, assuming you played easy first, the boss patterns don't change and you'll know what you're up against.

I can't say anything about extreme mode, given, like I said, I'm still on hard mode.

Dude, it's Scrooge McDuck, you think he is going to willingly give away gold?

Parker

Genius.

So what is the difficulty like compared to the original NES game? They overpriced this game in EU, so I won't be getting it for quite a while, but I most certainly will at some point. When I can 100% Spelunker HD, this game shouldn't really be a big issue. My only concern is nobody has 100% this game yet. lol

They have a limit to XP they can give you with PSN games.. they could have added a Gold one or a Platinum one but then they would have had to do away with some of the trophies.. I wouldn't have minded that one where you had to pogo jump across the underground in Amazon took away, but I don't really care, I don't buy games for trophies, I buy and play them for fun.

So what is the difficulty like compared to the original NES game? They overpriced this game in EU, so I won't be getting it for quite a while, but I most certainly will at some point. When I can 100% Spelunker HD, this game shouldn't really be a big issue. My only concern is nobody has 100% this game yet. lol

It was good, the difficulty is probably harder since the bosses have extra attacks and stuff, but it's still fairly easy to learn patterns I guess.  No one has 100% it yet because it's just out.  There has been a couple of 100%s over on Xbox 360 from people that's had access to review copies and so on.  The hardest thing in the game would be Extreme difficulty, you can't die in any level, you die and you get put back to the start, I don't think I'll be getting the one silver trophy in this game :( Don't have the patience for that tbh.  But hopefully it'll be the only one I don't get.

Also, Parker your post made me laugh :P lol

Edited by TakahashiDemon

My only concern is nobody has 100% this game yet. lol

I'm guessing the reason for that is either the mass grinding you have to do for Connoisseur of the Arts (which you need $56,840,000 for, though it's a bit easier to do in Hard Mode due to a difficulty multiplier and hidden treasures) or Extreme mode, and I wouldn't be one bit surprised if it were the latter.  Extreme mode, from what I've played, not only doesn't save progress until you beat the game, but you are forced to use the "Hard Pogo" configuration (when you jump, you have to press down and square or circle in stead of just square or circle) and it appears as though there are no extra lives or healing items outside of finding Mrs. Beakley.  So you pretty much have the beat the game in one shot.  Yeah, it's called extreme for a reason...

Though, for me, it probably wouldn't be so bad if the hard pogo jump would be somewhat responsive.  Then again, sometimes the pogo jump wouldn't work even with Hard Pogo turned off and Scrooge would just keep falling like normal without his cane out.  Granted, it's probably my fault, but I'm unsure what I've been doing wrong to not get it to work...

I'm guessing the reason for that is either the mass grinding you have to do for Connoisseur of the Arts (which you need $56,840,000 for, though it's a bit easier to do in Hard Mode due to a difficulty multiplier and hidden treasures) or Extreme mode, and I wouldn't be one bit surprised if it were the latter.  Extreme mode, from what I've played, not only doesn't save progress until you beat the game, but you are forced to use the "Hard Pogo" configuration (when you jump, you have to press down and square or circle in stead of just square or circle) and it appears as though there are no extra lives or healing items outside of finding Mrs. Beakley.  So you pretty much have the beat the game in one shot.  Yeah, it's called extreme for a reason...

Though, for me, it probably wouldn't be so bad if the hard pogo jump would be somewhat responsive.  Then again, sometimes the pogo jump wouldn't work even with Hard Pogo turned off and Scrooge would just keep falling like normal without his cane out.  Granted, it's probably my fault, but I'm unsure what I've been doing wrong to not get it to work...

So you only got 1 life to beat the entire game? I guess you got several HP though like in the original? I can't remember if you had to use the "Hard Pogo" stuff in the original. Some time since I completed it last time. I've done the original without losing any lives, I hope I can do this one too. :) I'm guessing there will be some cheap tricks publicly known when I get around to play the game in case I get stuck.

Edited by MMDE

So you only got 1 life to beat the entire game? I guess you got several HP though like in the original? I can't remember if you had to use the "Hard Pogo" stuff in the original. Some time since I completed it last time. I've done the original without losing any lives, I hope I can do this one too. :) I'm guessing there will be some cheap tricks publicly known when I get around to play the game in case I get stuck.

No, you start with 3 lives, but it seems you can only get extra lives by finding Mrs Beakley in levels, since she tosses one along with 2 health items.  The extra lives that could be found in Hard mode are replaced with red gems.  Basically, they're telling you to beat the whole game on hard mode (plus some restrictions, like hard pogo and the extra life/health thing I mentioned before) in one sitting, since it doesn't save progress between levels.

Yeah, the Pogo is pretty dumb at some times... You need to do a big jump (i.e. not a short nor a tiny one, an ENTIRE jump) for it to work... And, you have to be very carful when it comes to ledges, as you can't touch them without having your pogo gone away... It takes some mastering -I'm not kidding and it's seriously getting on my nerves at times...

On Extreme, it's gonna be tough... I had some harsh and hard times on Hard already... I'm in the very last level and I'm really getting pissed off.. Sounds like Extreme's gonna be a real pleasure -.-

Edited by Dr_Rwede

Yeah, the Pogo is pretty dumb at some times... You need to do a big jump (i.e. not a short nor a tiny one, an ENTIRE jump) for it to work... And, you have to be very carful when it comes to ledges, as you can't touch them without having your pogo gone away... It takes some mastering -I'm not kidding and it's seriously getting on my nerves at times...

On Extreme, it's gonna be tough... I had some harsh and hard times on Hard already... I'm in the very last level and I'm really getting pissed off.. Sounds like Extreme's gonna be a real pleasure -.-

I know exactly how you feel, couldn't have said it better. I'm on Hard difficulty as well, and sometimes...I just....wanna... break that friggin' pogo stick  :shakefist:

I know exactly how you feel, couldn't have said it better. I'm on Hard difficulty as well, and sometimes...I just....wanna... break that friggin' pogo stick  :shakefist:

I finally managed to finish the game on Hard... Holy [whatever you want to insert here] it is DEFINITELY Hard. The last level in itself isn't a problem once you know the enemies' location, but the final boss gave me hard times until I found his pattern... And the escape, I just don't want to go through this again now.

The Extreme will wait until I'm cooled down -and until I'm finished with Killer is Dead, too.

Don't get me wrong, this game is awesome, it brings back soooo many great memories -and frustration altogether, but the hitboxes are a great pain in the lower-rear area and that pogo makes me want to break my controller in someone's skull. Yeah, THAT bad.

And, for the 10 million bucks, you need to have it at once... Not very hard, just time-consuming. I'm still wondering how to do the 2 last trophies (the statues and the Amazonian part w/ the Pogo-stick -which is another pain, but elsewhere)

Sorry if I haven't made myself understood, I'll try harder next time :)

I finally managed to finish the game on Hard... Holy [whatever you want to insert here] it is DEFINITELY Hard. The last level in itself isn't a problem once you know the enemies' location, but the final boss gave me hard times until I found his pattern... And the escape, I just don't want to go through this again now.

The Extreme will wait until I'm cooled down -and until I'm finished with Killer is Dead, too.

Don't get me wrong, this game is awesome, it brings back soooo many great memories -and frustration altogether, but the hitboxes are a great pain in the lower-rear area and that pogo makes me want to break my controller in someone's skull. Yeah, THAT bad.

And, for the 10 million bucks, you need to have it at once... Not very hard, just time-consuming. I'm still wondering how to do the 2 last trophies (the statues and the Amazonian part w/ the Pogo-stick -which is another pain, but elsewhere)

Sorry if I haven't made myself understood, I'll try harder next time :)

Dude, you are stealing my thoughts. Finished it on Hard also, nothing too difficult. Last level was okay, until....the last boss. I so wanted to strangle that green Puff the magic Dragon. And the last climb, man you had to be FAST. 

I'm too saving the extreme for near future, until my blood pressure drops. Like you said, still an awesome game, played it with 8-bit music on. Makes me wanna watch the cartoon show again...

How did you played the old 8-Bit style ? Gimme gimme gimme :D [i haven't bought the music yet]

The giant (dat random bite) gave me more problems than the dragon (the pattern is easy once you got it)

Edited by Dr_Rwede

How did you played the old 8-Bit style ? Gimme gimme gimme :D [i haven't bought the music yet]

The giant (dat random bite) gave me more problems than the dragon (the pattern is easy once you got it)

There was a choice to play with 8-bit music in the options-menu, after I had finished with easy playthrough (along with the normal pogo/hard pogo and vibration on/off options). Hope that helps  :ninja:

• Like 1

Thanks a lot ! I'll be doing my Extreme on dat 8 bit masterpiece.

I still don't get how to pass on Amazon (Trophy-wise) if someone has a clue, lighten me up :)

> For the "stones" trophy, in the Amazonian level, when you got to the Temple, at the end of the first floor, there is a brown statue facing you. Stand next to it and hit it with your cane (twice). Your reward will be... Juicy  :awesome:

For the "Look Ma, No Spats" trophy, jump down pogoing from the first hole that goes to underground in Amazon. Then just use only pogo-jump until you reach the end of the underground, grab the vine and climb it. That's it. 

If you touch the ground, or spikes, kill yourself. Then you have to climb up and jump down pogoing again. If you don't go to the upper level first after you die, the trophy won't pop (that's what happened to me, anyways). Hope that's not too confusing, I'm bad at explaining  :ninja:

Edited by Ala-Arska
  • Like 1

For the "Look Ma, No Spats" trophy, jump down pogoing from the first hole that goes to underground in Amazon. Then just use only pogo-jump until you reach the end of the underground, grab the vine and climb it. That's it. 

If you touch the ground, or spikes, kill yourself. Then you have to climb up and jump down pogoing again. If you don't go to the upper level first after you die, the trophy won't pop (that's what happened to me, anyways). Hope that's not too confusing, I'm bad at explaining  :ninja:

Took me one hour and a half, but made it eventually. The trick is you can 'lower' your pogo jump while in mid-air by pressing square/circle while you pogo-jump... I didn't know... And it cost me, well... Only 3 controllers :ninja:

Ah, that explains it.  I was wondering why sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't.  Hard to believe I made it through hard with that handicap. xD  Thanks for the help!  Now to *gulp* try extreme mode.  I fear for the safety of my controllers...

Ah, that explains it.  I was wondering why sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't.  Hard to believe I made it through hard with that handicap. xD  Thanks for the help!  Now to *gulp* try extreme mode.  I fear for the safety of my controllers...

Yeah, me too, it's eye-opening and may render Il Vesuvio less of a pain with all those bats...

For Extreme, I tried about one hour ago... You still got some lives across the levels... But they're pretty scarce. Plus, you don't have much of healing items... But, the lady (can't tell her name, sorry) still gives you 2 cones (with ice cream in it !) and a life.

Though your progress won't be saved until you beat the game, it's still less hard than I expected (no lives, whatsoever). Anyway, I tried just for fun and I quit when I died near the Amazon Boss. The Hard Pogo ( Down + Square/Circle) is making me life (darn it, Scroogie !) very hard, so I need to practice a little more.

Still, it's gonna give me good skills on controller-launching, I guess :|

Yeah, me too, it's eye-opening and may render Il Vesuvio less of a pain with all those bats...

For Extreme, I tried about one hour ago... You still got some lives across the levels... But they're pretty scarce. Plus, you don't have much of healing items... But, the lady (can't tell her name, sorry) still gives you 2 cones (with ice cream in it !) and a life.

Though your progress won't be saved until you beat the game, it's still less hard than I expected (no lives, whatsoever). Anyway, I tried just for fun and I quit when I died near the Amazon Boss. The Hard Pogo ( Down + Square/Circle) is making me life (darn it, Scroogie !) very hard, so I need to practice a little more.

Still, it's gonna give me good skills on controller-launching, I guess :|

Yeah, I tried playing a few minutes ago and discovered an extra life in a hidden chest.  My game plan was to beat Transylvania and the Himalayas first, since they had heart containers, then beat the Moon, the Mine then Amazon so that way I'd get the harder levels done first.  I was doing really well since I managed to beat Transylvania (lost only 1 life, but that was due to a stupid mistake on my part), but I nearly threw my controller at the TV when I lost all of my lives at the Himalayas.  Why?  I could not make that jump where you have to bounce on a spider to reach another rope.  No matter how hard I tried, I could not perform a pogo jump from the rope and died every time since it's suspended over a bottomless pit.  Seriously, 3 lives lost because I couldn't input Scrooge's one and only attack. o-o  How in blazes I managed to not just completely destroy my TV with my controller is beyond me...

Those 12 people who actually managed to beat Extreme obviously have either the patience of a saint, or a pile of mangled controllers.

It seems like the only reason this is as hard as it is is because of Hard Pogo.  The difficulty itself is pretty much hard mode with replaced items and no saving.  Had they not forced Hard Pogo on the player, I can practically guarantee that anyone who beat the game on hard would have beaten extreme easily.

• Like 1