People who have above 90% completion...

Mathieumatic

I got myself to 99.68% once - 12 trophies off 100% that I couldn't get because of server shutdowns, so it was pretty much a 100% account. This was 7 years after I started my account.

I just used to do one game at a time, 100% it and move on to the next. I enjoyed it because getting 100% was closure and more often than not by that point I'd done everything the game had to offer.

I didn't have to worry about bad games as I never get games on a whim, I've seen reviews, gameplay footage, what appeals to me, trophy lists etc. In fact if you can believe this, two of my worst games are Skyrim and Pyre.

I prefer having 100% on games, I like the challenge, I like to know I've beaten a game. A friend of mine can't understand why I waste my time on it, we're all different.

As for backlog, that wasn't a problem on the PS3, when I achieved 99.68%. It is a problem now on the PS4, great games continually on sale, it's hard to hold back and it's the reason now I'm sitting at 78.19%. I'd rather experience every game in part, than a handful of games to 100%. I've curbed my spending now, I just don't have the time for it all.

• Like 3

I have different case of idiotic gaming behaivor: I got myself tons of games via sales and I mostly finished them just by 40-50% (story mode only) but I am planning to 100% or platinum everything I can. 

And most of the times I gotta be in trophy hunting mood to start 100/platinum journey on game. Cant explain but, I can suddenly return to unfinished game I started 4 years or more ago just because :)

Edited by PostalDudeRus
grammatic
  • Like 1

An interesting question here.

It depends of my humor or my determination at the moment. You've some kind of annyoing trophies like in Tetris where you need to farm a lot, (usign a turbo controller to get rid of) which is not a funny experience but totally doable and you can do something else at the same moment.

Or the famous "Finish the New Game +" trophy which depends really of my motivation.

But in all of the cases, I've to finish at 100%, it can be very irritating to think I've not succed a game.

• Why bother?

Because it is fun for me.

• How do you motivate yourself to complete the games you didn't enjoy?

I enjoy most games I play, I do not add games for the sake of trophies, therefore, I only play games that interest me. However, in the rare exception I don't enjoy the game, I simply power through or listen to YouTube the whole time.

• When did you start this completion trend? From the start of your account or did you have to overcome a huge backlog to achieve this?

I overcame a huge backlog and spent the better part of over a year completing old games in my collection. Trophies didn't even exist when I started on the PS3. I would say I began taking trophies seriously when I noticed I had more than my friends. It was fun to brag about them to my friends when I was younger.

• Do you feel like 100% completion is an overall better experience than a normal playthrough (where you don't mind the trophies)?

I do because I would probably never experience half of what I do on my journey to 100% in some games. And yes it is possible to have a great journey without 100%, but being able to say you did everything the game offered is rewarding to me.

Edited by sepheroithisgod
  • Like 4

1) Why bother?
"All or nothing!" Anyway, it looks way much better to have 100%, than a 27%, 62% or even 95%. What once started have to be completed ;).

2) How do you motivate yourself to complete the games you didn't enjoy?
A bottle of vine and everything is going way much more smoothly and it is less painful ;).

3) When did you start this completion trend? From the start of your account or did you have to overcome a huge backlog to achieve this?
Nope. Around 3-4 years ago when I got addicted and wanted to increase the completion percentage.

4)Do you feel like 100% completion is an overall better experience than a normal playthrough (where you don't mind the trophies)?

Yes, it is. Actually you can always compare those two ways: first play for fun, ignoring trophies and finishing the game, then do it again to complete it.

Edited by Smashero
  • Like 3

Why bother?

I've always been like that, I am only bothered by uncompleted stuff.

How do you motivate yourself to complete the games you didn't enjoy?

That's easy, I don't play what I won't enjoy.

When did you start this completion trend? From the start of your account or did you have to overcome a huge backlog to achieve this?

See first answer.

Do you feel like 100% completion is an overall better experience than a normal playthrough (where you don't mind the trophies)?

Usually a normal playthrough precedes a competition playthrough, so I get both and I don't "prefer" either, I just enjoy them for what they are.

Edited by tanonero
layout
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mathieumatic said:

From personal experience, I only platinum the games that I enjoyed enough to fully complete. There are a bunch of games I've come across over the years where you have to complete so many repetitive, boring tasks just to get the platinum which makes it not worth it to me. I could never get myself to platinum/100% every game I play and I'm honestly fine with that. Gaming is supposed to be a hobby and if I forced myself to finish every game I played, it would feel more like a job to me. This is why I'm asking everyone on this forum with 90% or above completion rate the following questions:

• Why bother?
  • How do you motivate yourself to complete the games you didn't enjoy?
  • When did you start this completion trend? From the start of your account or did you have to overcome a huge backlog to achieve this?
  • Do you feel like 100% completion is an overall better experience than a normal playthrough (where you don't mind the trophies)?

I'm interested in your responses, thanks in advance.

I have an over 90% completion rating, and intend to raise that incrementally, trophy by trophy.  You asked why bother.  For me, more enjoyment is had if every trophy is popped.  With good/great games, full completion elevates the degree of enjoyment, allows for more play time, etc.  With mediocre/lousy games, trophies create enjoyment.  AER was a bad game, in my opinion, but I popped every trophy, and enjoyment was gained from doing so.  And I gain a better experience than a normal playthrough when 100% is had, yes.  Perhaps not at the exact moment I pop a final trophy on an ill-favored game, but later on, when I review my list of completed games, to remind myself what I've accomplished as a gamer.

I would like to know the ages and lifestyles of some of these completionists

for example, im 36 witha family of 3, i work anywhere from 50-60 hours a week at my job and its a management position

as i get older im starting to fade away from my platinum hobby and careless and less about trophies and platinums in general

• Like 2

Well why not?

I've always enjoyed completing games, before trophies there used to be rewards for completing difficulties, challenges and whatnot, stuff like costumes, making of videos and artwork. Not many games have those because of DLC but trophies represent that completion now.

I'll admit there are a few games that me think twice about completing them but I still enjoy it.

1) Why Bother?

For me as to this question it's as simple as I play one game at a time. It's good to keep an overall percentage up so it looks more organised. When it comes to playing games if I've started 3+ games then I kind of feel like I don't know what to play. What needs my attention more and etc and I don't need to get stressed out when it comes to gaming so I stick to one game at a time. 

2) How do you motivate yourself to complete the games you didn't enjoy?

There's been a few on my account that I haven't enjoyed but I chalk it down to an experience. I'm not the type of gamer to pick up a game and put it down after 5 minutes. I want to experience everything the game has to offer before I make an absolute solid verdict on the game. Motivation is needed but depending on the game you could always watch a show or look up quicker ways to do stuff on youtube just to make the time less annoying. Sometimes you even start a game absolutely hate it and then go back to it and it actually turns out to be great. An example for me was yeaaaaaars ago. I borrowed Fallout 3 off a friend, played it for about 20 minutes and thought this is awful can not be bothered to play this. Got back to it a week later and it turns out it's one of the better games I've played in a long long time. You just have to give games a chance.

3) When did you start this completion trend? From the start of your account or did you have to overcome a huge backlog to achieve this?

I've always wanted to attempt a completion account and this so happens to be the one I'm doing it on. I did have a massive backlog but I've been more selective on what I play now. Mainly because I've got my moneys worth on some games that I've played and some are so much of an effort I won't do them again. I always try everything I've got though. If I'm unsure on a game I'll make sure to play it on a blank/alt account first to see what kind of damage I can do before I attempt it here but that's all really. 

4) Do you feel like 100% completion is an overall better experience than a normal playthrough (where you don't mind the trophies)?

Absolutely, the way I see it is value for money. Do I want to spend £40-60 just to experience a 7 hour campaign playthrough? No thank you. If you factor in that trophy list it will have you doing things you never normally would. Collect all this, do all of that, see all of those. You wouldn't think about that stuff if your goal is just to get from starting point to end goal. That's just my opinion though. Going for 100% is my preferred way to play games. It just opens up so much more to me.

Sure we do feel the burnout sometimes and some games do become a chore but you've just got to be patient and open minded. It's a lot of effort but in time anyone can do it really. Gaming is still definitely a hobby. Although I play a lot and have quick completion times. I don't aim for these but when you mainly work weekends you have a lot more time than you think and that's all there is to it really. For me, I don't think OCD or anything has anything to do with it. I just like what I'm doing.

I'll probably care a million times less when I've got other priorities like a full time job, a family etc but so far there's not a million things I can do before those things start to happen.

Edited by ImmortalFox-
  • Like 4

I have my own rules:

Do not play more than one game at a time.

Do some research on a game you are about to play, particularly read its (trophy) guide if there is any.

Play the game, and focus on it until you obtain the platinum trophy (and more trophies if the game has downloadable contents/add-ons).

That's all, and that's how I motivate myself every single time. :)

This is sort of a mixed topic. 

I feel that many trophy hunters, if they were willing, can easily reach 90 percent or above by stacking a lot of easy games. They don’t hurt the completion rate as much as games that are more difficult. 

The way I see it, you definitely need to be determined and to some extent committed to having an account with a high completion percentage. 

I have over a 95 percent completion, so I’m definitely what people would say is a completionist. Having a profile full of games that are finished as opposed to a profile full of wide gaps (unfinished games) looks a lot better. Maintaining that can be difficult if you find yourself switching between multiple games. 

I don’t like a profile that has a lot of E ranks, it looks ugly. Of course everybody’s preferences are different. However I like to think that a profile with as many trophies as mine with a high completion rate is more accomplished than what I regard as profiles that have very low completion. Anybody can have a crappy percentage rate, but getting to that high percentage especially if a number of games you played are difficult or time consuming, that takes time and effort.

• Like 2