People who have above 90% completion...

Mathieumatic

Why bother?

I get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction from it.  I love gaming, and trophies have been a nice motivator to help complete a game to its fullest

How do you motivate yourself to complete the games you didn't enjoy?

It hasn't been very often that I encountered a game I've not enjoyed, at this point I pretty much have a good idea of what I'll like and what I won't like.  For example, you'd never see me play a sports game.  I did churn through some sub-par quality games when doing a few trophy competitions on this site but in those instances I was more enjoying the competition than the games themselves, I've stepped away from doing that though now.  On the rare occasion now that I start a game and find myself not enjoying it as much as I thought, I'll pair it with something else to help break it up a bit or just drop it completely.

When did you start this completion trend? From the start of your account or did you have to overcome a huge backlog to achieve this?

It's something that's always been a thing to be honest, even before trophies and even on other consoles - I'd try and complete everything I could within a game.  In terms of trophy hunting though, the completion trend has been since the start of my account.  I did have another account prior to this with 95%+ completion, the only reason I started over with this account was due to moving from the UK and US and wanting an account that fit my region as it is now

Do you feel like 100% completion is an overall better experience than a normal playthrough (where you don't mind the trophies)?

It all depends on the trophy list, and quite often I like the lists that help combine the normal playthrough experience with completion - like Earthlock for example.  The trophy list is for basically doing everything in the game, which you'd probably do in a normal playthrough anyway.

As to answer Property_Damage question: 

I would like to know the ages and lifestyles of some of these completionists

I'm 37 and married, no kids.  My career is in accounting and finance, also have a lot of other activities outside of gaming I participate in

• Like 4

Why bother?

I guess it's a personal thing. Once I start a game I try to complete it to 100%. No matter if I need months or years because I'm not a speedrunner and I don't care about time of completition. That's why I have games with MP trophies completed first (when possible), especially in old PS3 games.

I don't play everything and I put a lot of attention on games I don't know. If I get a game from Plus and I don't know how it could be or like, I always play that game in an alt account first. On the other hand, before buying a game with real money I watch tons of videos of gameplay (trying to avoid those ones that spoiler story). There are some exceptions btw. I loved for example The Last of Us, I don't need to watch anything about The Last of Us 2: I'll buy it 100%.

When did you start this completion trend? From the start of your account or did you have to overcome a huge backlog to achieve this?

From the start

Do you feel like 100% completion is an overall better experience than a normal playthrough (where you don't mind the trophies)?

See answer 1. At the moment my profile is 100%able

1: Why Bother?

I am a go all in kind of guy. It can be a great mentality but also pretty bad. As for gaming this applies aswell. I like to experience the whole game, so this includes DLC. But you are right sometimes you have to do painfull tasks to get there. I guess my OCD for completion makes me go for the 100% as someone who has been going for Achievements on PC for a long time (recently switched to Playstation) I always found it weird that people stopped at the platinum. But I get it now. Playstation Dynamic is different and for the majority the Platinum means completion. And some developers really abuse DLC just to make the game more grindy and lenghty. Overall even though I totally understand now that people are just going for Platinums that is just not me. I want the full completion. 

2: How do you motivate yourself to complete games you didn't enjoy
Like my fellow amazing trophy hunter @X_Wizi_X says the same applies to me. I usually have a very good idea of what I am starting and look at guides to see difficulty and completion times. Sometimes I dismiss a game because of it (if the trophy list or DLC is complete bullshit, like get top 5 in the world). But the majority of the time I still start games with good research, even though if the game is really difficult. It really depends on the game, for example MHW/Iceborne is a grindy and lenghty game but because of my 100% profile I didn't dismiss the game just because of the length. Also like Wizi said there are some exceptions for me too. I buy From Software games without thinking twice as it is for me one of the best developers in the world. 

3: When did you start this completion trend? From the start of your account or did you have to overcome a huge backlog to achieve this?

Partially already answered in my first paragraph but since I only started hunting on Playstation since June 2019 I didn't have a backlog. On PC when I did this I did try to get as close as I could to 100% so technically I had to overcome a backlog there. 

4: Do you feel like 100% completion is an overall better experience than a normal playthrough (where you don't mind the trophies)

Honestly for the average person no. It is kinda obsessive and where the usual players stop OCD players like me sometimes have to do very grindy or boring tasks that the average person would hate to do. You can definitely have enjoyment for sure, it just depends on the games you play and if you have the right attitude. For me it works and I find enjoyment of fully experiencing the package and completing the game. One exception to this is: I don't play easy/stack games. For me the enjoyment comes from completing longer/difficult games, just getting a high completion by playing POWGI/Ratalaika games is not for me. 

• Like 4

• Why bother?

Trophy Hunting for me is an hobby, and  because of that I give all myself into it. I love Trophy Hunting, I feel it is so satisfying, and makes me play videogames in a great, different way.

• How do you motivate yourself to complete the games you didn't enjoy?

I just keep it up, while still knowing that it isn't, probably, funny: I hate keeping things unfinished, even outside of videogames. By the way, it doesn't often happen, I usually only play games that I know I'm going to like.

• When did you start this completion trend? From the start of your account or did you have to overcome a huge backlog to achieve this?

From the beginning, I'd say, so August 2017, because I had started to collect Achievements back on my Xbox 360 days in 2011. On the first few months on Ps4 I had no clue about the percentages, so I would only collect Trophies as much as I could, regardless of how many I would leave unearned. That's why I have a shitty game called APB Reloaded on my Profile with only 1 Trophy out of 13: it lowers my percentage a lot, but after two+ years I learned to live with it. :) ( :( )

• Do you feel like 100% completion is an overall better experience than a normal playthrough (where you don't mind the trophies)?

In games that focus a lot on the story, such as the ones of Quantic Dream, it may be better to enjoy the story the way you craft it. However, I did not mind not doing a Perfect Crime Run on Heavy Rain to save some time, I still had an amazing experience with that masterpiece.

Ps: Currently at 91, aiming to 95 for the future and the few last times I was under 90 I felt ashamed of myself, hoping to never get that low ever again :lol:

Edited by KenjiCBZ

2 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

for example, im 36 witha family of 3, i work anywhere from 50-60 hours a week at my job and its a management position

as i get older im starting to fade away from my platinum hobby and careless and less about trophies and platinums in general

Dude same here, you and i are the same age and it is becoming increasingly more difficult to consistently hunt because of life (mainly work travel). Hats off to you for doing it in a management position and a family no way would i be able to pull that off.

Why bother?

It's not a bother to me actually, otherwise I wouldn't do it. But then again, it happens sometimes that a trophy may be extra grindy, and that it becomes a chore for a while. Think I love a challenge and metagaming. Whether in games or sports, when I was younger, I used to give myself inner challenges or handicaps, must be why it appeals to me.

Coming to this website made me care much more about my stats, and I set myself some goals, like being over 95% completion, having less than 500 unearned trophies and going for at least 'A' rating with each game (still working on this one, Lords of the Fallen is only a 'C').

If I really don't enjoy a game, if it's short, I try to go for 100% and forget everything about it the minute I'm finished with it (Conan Exiles, Burly Men at Sea,...). If it's long, well, tough luck. I also know that I can go back to games I started ages ago (currently doing that with Red Faction: Guerilla), so if I get bored with a game, I stop playing it. Some of them I will finish, other's I won't. I'm OK with that.

Not from the real start. If you look at my first trophies, you'll easily notice that I didn't really care and had long periods without playing. Then after a short while I got sucked into it. A very good friend who knows me from school joked about that, saying that "they" (meaning Sony, dev, publishers... you know, "they") had found a good way to fuck me over.

I don't separate the two. You will never hear me say that I completed the game if the only thing I did was finish the story. To me, "complete" is 100%, even though I wouldn't go totally out of my way to get a missing trophy.

• Why bother?

A/ Because I like to collect and complete things. Especially in my hobby.

A/ That was more in the beginning, I just suck it up and deal with it, now I play only things that I like so even if they are too long I enjoy them.

• When did you start this completion trend? From the start of your account or did you have to overcome a huge backlog to achieve this?

A/ I tried to start from the beginning but there were some titles that stopped me, just last year I went back to all those games and tried to complete them (even the ones impossible to 100%, tried to get the most I could...), now I started a journey of all those fighting games that always wanted to play but didn't had the time... And this year I want to play them all!

• Do you feel like 100% completion is an overall better experience than a normal playthrough (where you don't mind the trophies)?

A/ Nope, for some people is a waste of time, for me is something that I enjoy, as long as we enjoy gaming everyone can do whatever they want.

Giving you answer to all your questions

1. I don't care about my completion rating and I don't think many people do, last time I checked it was at 90% percent and I was just like "Cool" and life moved one. I don't care at all if it is high or low, I play what I want, the main difference is that I start a game on an alternative account to see if it is of my interest. If I don't like the performance (gameplay, plot, fps drops) I will skip it. If I'm dying to play that game I start it on my account in a flash

2. Like I said I don't. I already have genres I know I like (RPG, Action/Adventure, Shooters, FPS, stealth, etc) if a game doesn't fill this requirements I won't play it. 

3.This completionist trend started way back in the PS1/PS2 era but gain force with trophies and achievements. Putting trophies on the equation, I may take 1 week to 100% complete the game or I might take years, it all comes down if I'm not satured from that type of game. That's way I took a lot of time with Tomb Raider for example, finished my first playthrough, got tired of that genre, tried new ones, came back to it when I felt like it. 

4. Yes, it makes me see things I would never see. The amount of games that shown something new during the completionist process is astonishing. AC Odyssey has a small town only with women with a tragic backstory behind it, Uncharted 4 shows you beautiful environments you would never see if you didn't went there for the collectable, Wolfenstein rewards players for exploration, if you find every document you can unlock new difficult to the game, PS exclusives give you avatars and themes when you get the platinum. The list goes one

Edited by maiathewinners

4 hours ago, Mathieumatic said:

From personal experience, I only platinum the games that I enjoyed enough to fully complete. There are a bunch of games I've come across over the years where you have to complete so many repetitive, boring tasks just to get the platinum which makes it not worth it to me. I could never get myself to platinum/100% every game I play and I'm honestly fine with that. Gaming is supposed to be a hobby and if I forced myself to finish every game I played, it would feel more like a job to me. This is why I'm asking everyone on this forum with 90% or above completion rate the following questions:

• Why bother?

I'm interested in your responses, thanks in advance.

This is easy to answer for me I'm autistic that alone should say enough.

I don't see the big fuss, it's being competitive at the end of the day and you don't have to always enjoy the little tasks on the way to winning.

I personally enjoy completing everything and it becomes a bad obsession when I don't so I try not to think about it on the off few occasions it has happened.

End of the day some people are not as competitive as others and the ones thats what it really comes down too and people can't be knocked just for enjoying being on top; regardless of what they play.

55 minutes ago, Bodyodorthegrave69 said:

Lmao another one of these threads...

Wait...Math, aren't you that guy who got off the payload in Dorado when we were boosting Overwatch...

Don't know what you mean by "these threads" but if there was one similar to mine, I must have missed it.
As for your Overwatch question: I played it once 3 years ago because my library rents it out, didn't like the controls and dropped it instantly (already had the game on PC anyways) so it couldn't have been me. 

Edited by Mathieumatic
language error
  • Like 2

Why bother?

* Why Bother? - It's like a fun challenge I'm giving myself. I mean first, if I ever purchase a game, it's because something about the game has attracted me to the point of wanting to commit completely to it. I almost always only buy games on sale - and despite that I value my money so I'm going to give my time and attention to this game 100% and see it through. 

How do you motivate yourself to complete the games you didn't enjoy? - Well more often than not, I almost always try to avoid playing games I don't enjoy. Sadly sometimes it happens (COUGH Dragon Quest: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below COUGH) - but, I view it like taking medicine. I know having played this that I never want to play another Dynasty Warriors game ever again. It wasn't fun - but hey I got a 10% platinum out of it. Besides that one specific game - I've almost always avoided long games that I don't enjoy. The other games I haven't enjoyed tend to be 10 hours or less - and I can quickly churn through those listening to podcasts and making fun of the games qualities I don't enjoy.

When did you start this completion trend? From the start of your account or did you have to overcome a huge backlog to achieve this? - I never cared about trophies from 2014 - 2016. Then I played a game I loved so much (Unravel) that after I finished it, I wanted a way to extend my play-time of it, and then I thought - oh trophies would be a great way to do that! From there I was hooked. I used to be a mostly only sports game consumer so I did those games, didn't do any in 2017, and from 2018 onwards every game I purchased I tried to 100%. 

Do you feel like 100% completion is an overall better experience than a normal playthrough (where you don't mind the trophies)? - I still don't know. For games I know I'm going to enjoy - I almost always go in blind. I think it's best to have a pure experience first - that being said if the games long and there's missables, it's best to do your research on that and figure out what you have to do so you don't, if you do want 100% completion, end up resenting the game as it forces you to do another long playthrough. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mathieumatic said:

• Why bother?

• Not sure, maybe i like the 100%s.  Its a hobby really.
  • There were only a handful that i did not enjoy (FO4, The Division and a few others).
  • Midway through.... i think ?
  • Yes but not always.

- Should be at 98% once i finish BL3.  Give me a PS3 and i can probably reach 99%.

On 2/17/2020 at 7:37 AM, Mathieumatic said:

From personal experience, I only platinum the games that I enjoyed enough to fully complete. There are a bunch of games I've come across over the years where you have to complete so many repetitive, boring tasks just to get the platinum which makes it not worth it to me. I could never get myself to platinum/100% every game I play and I'm honestly fine with that. Gaming is supposed to be a hobby and if I forced myself to finish every game I played, it would feel more like a job to me. This is why I'm asking everyone on this forum with 90% or above completion rate the following questions:

• Why bother?

I am currently at around 99.50% after playing over 300 games.  When I first started this, I was only interested in getting Platinum’s, but five years later I had over one thousand unearned trophies attached to my profile.  Revisiting all of the games and their DLC’s has been both a worthwhile challenge and entertaining.  In my opinion, trophy hunting is a very personal experience for all of us.  Of course some games were more enjoyable than others.  There once was a time where there was no such thing as some of these hour or less Platinum’s.  Thinking about your questions, I believe some of my motivation was a direct response to this new era of “cheap” Platinum’s that seem to be a shameless exploitation of those of us that do enjoy trophy hunting.  Instead of going the route of wanting trophies for the sake of getting trophies, I felt more of a sense of accomplishment by getting these elusive 100%, ultra rare achievements.

Edited by jpmelville
  • Like 3

• Why bother?

1) I like doing it.

2) It's not really a problem.  I can generally find something to enjoy in even "mediocre" games and if I get tired of something I'll play something else and go back to it later (usually).

3) I think I've played similarly since getting back into console gaming in 2015 with the PS4.  Early on my completion was a little lower, since I've always had at least a few games that I paused on, but with more games and similar habits, it's fairly solidly 90%+ now.

4) Both are good.  But, I do enjoy 100% completion (on individual games... on an account level that's just too daunting for me).  It's like you've seen and done everything the developers intended.  Passed every challenge or whatever.  It's nice.

Overall though, I'd say the most important thing is to find some approach that you enjoy.  Maybe that's going for a 100% account, maybe it's more like 50% completion.  Stats are nice, but be sure to pursue them in a way that you personally find enjoyable and rewarding.

Hey it’s funny because I was reading your thread and I could almost listen to myself thinking the same thing a few months ago.

To be honest for me it came out of the blue. I had always thought I couldn’t be bothered to finish some games or to just come back to some of them.

For some reason one day the completion rate and the incomplete bars started to bother me and I thought: why not? I’m still quite far from being a completionist and to be honest with you there are some of the games on my profile list I know I will never complete. Some of them simply because they’re not obtainable anymore and some other because I really don’t think they’re worth the massive pain for a single bronze trophy.

For me the only motivation is the challenge to myself basically. Some of the games I really enjoy them and some others I don’t, but the challenge is there.

Hope my experience helped somehow!

@Mathieumatic, I'm pretty similar to you. I've never been able to get my completion up very high due to boredom or not feeling it's worth it (always hovered around 66-68% completion, never got it above 70%).

I feel like if I forced myself to play with a high completion, I wouldn't enjoy gaming on my ps systems or trophy hunting in general. I feel like I would have to avoid games like Dead by Daylight and several VR games just to keep it up, and I'm not about that life. 

In the end, everyone has their own way of playing and their own way of trophy hunting whether it's completion, rarity, leaderboards, etc. and each have their own individual approach to it.

Though, I've found this thread extremely interesting to see into the mind of a completionist. I've seen people call E ranks "ugly" when I just kind of shrug at it and go, "I got better or more interesting games to play." or "Ooooh, new game. I want to play it now." and put the game on hold. I can definitely see the difference in the mindset here for sure. Nothing bad of course (to each their own), but definitely interesting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

for example, im 36 witha family of 3, i work anywhere from 50-60 hours a week at my job and its a management position

as i get older im starting to fade away from my platinum hobby and careless and less about trophies and platinums in general

No work or family here due to disabilities. I'm 38 and gaming is about all I can do, has been for well over a decade now. I used to go to school as a child/teenager, but I still spend most of my time gaming. Being a mensa member I could afford to do school by doing nothing at home. After a few years university I finally collapsed permanently and I quit society to protect myself.

6 hours ago, Mathieumatic said:
  • Why bother?

why bother/how to motivate => I don't, I'm just having fun my way. I can focus on one thing at time, so I take it one game at a time. When I reach a point where my skills, focus, energy, disabilities get in the way I'll move on to the next. Sometimes I try to return to a previously started game and on rare cases I actually make some progress or even achieve every trophy. Drive club being the one I'm most proud of, skill wise. I had this game at <50% for years, until I finally figured out how to make some progress and I ended up getting very trophy eventually.

When buying games I do check trophy difficulty, which becomes a more important factor the less fun I think the game will be for me. Two games that I enjoyed tremendously but don't have at 100% are yakuza 3 and resonance of fate. I tried a few times to get any progress but haven't been able to wrap them up for whatever reason.

When did I start: probably ever since I tried to stand as a baby. I do things until I master them or I don't start at all, part of my one-focus disability. So this naturally applies to gaming as well.

Does a 100% feel better than a normal play through => does not compute ;). Getting a 100% = a normal play through for me ...

So, people are obviously different each other, hopefully this topic will increase the range of your understanding of how people are different from each other and how those differences can be applied to gaming, among other things.

• Like 3